PDA

View Full Version : Turk McBride

Direckshun
10-12-2007, 11:13 AM
I've been going over a few games this week, and I gotta say people, we're developing a good one here.

He's an easy pinata here because he's undersized and hasn't racked up a lot of numbers. Especially when standing next to the massive Tyler, who we all agree is going to be at least a solid starter in this league.

I think he's weak as a DE, but he's impressing me as a DT in ways that don't reflect in numbers and continue to make the argument that statistics aren't an effective way of measuring a DT's effectiveness.

He doesn't get that much push just yet, but I don't know if I've seen another DT on this team get to the QB as often as he has. He's got a coverage sack, sure, but he's also got a number of knockdowns and harrassments that Herm and Krumrie have to be pleased with.

Like Tyler, I suspect it'll take him a year or two to develop, but the Chiefs acquired him for pressure and to chase the ball, and I think he's going to work out.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2007, 11:17 AM
I hate him as a DE. I love him as a three-technique DT.

RedThat
10-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Why don't they play him more?

It can't hurt? Those guys can't be any worse than Ron Edwards or Alphonso Boone?

*I hope these are our DT's of the future. Because we can't keep wasting picks on DT's like we did in the past. If these guys pan out, then the Chiefs can focus on other positions in the draft ala OL.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Why don't they play him more?

It can't hurt? Those guys can't be any worse than Ron Edwards or Alphonso Boone?

Dude, Alfonso Boone is our best DT by far. All those guys are in the rotation.

ChiefsCountry
10-12-2007, 12:21 PM
He is a John Browning type IMO. Wont be a superstar but a type of player you need on the team.

ChiTown
10-12-2007, 12:26 PM
I'd rather have Bake McBride.............

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/bake_mcbride_autograph.jpg

:)

RedThat
10-12-2007, 12:33 PM

And does that say much?

He was a backup on the Bears defense. Put him on a good defense, he's a backup.

We need to develop our younger players, it is way more important, then spending time on journey man type players. which is what Alphonso Boone is.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2007, 12:49 PM
And does that say much?

He was a backup on the Bears defense. Put him on a good defense, he's a backup.

We need to develop our younger players, it is way more important, then spending time on journey man type players. which is what Alphonso Boone is.

McBride and Tyler can't play every snap. Be realistic.

Boone is penetrating bigtime on passing downs right now. All these guys are playing well in the rotation. We're so much better off at DT this year.

DBO82
10-12-2007, 12:53 PM

Shake and bake baby!

sedated
10-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Those guys can't be any worse than Alphonso Boone

dude, do you even watch Chiefs games?

MVChiefFan
10-12-2007, 01:33 PM
I say we show a little love for Ron Edwards also. Having someone besides Reed and Sims lining up next to him has made his game seem a lot better. Not dominating, but better.

Chiefnj2
10-12-2007, 01:38 PM
McBride and Tyler can't play every snap. Be realistic.

Boone is penetrating bigtime on passing downs right now. All these guys are playing well in the rotation. We're so much better off at DT this year.

Except against the run.

RustShack
10-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Give Tank and Turk a couple years of experience, time to mesh with Allen and Hali, STUD DLINE coached by a very good D coaching staff.

chiefbowe82
10-12-2007, 02:34 PM
gotta love Tim Krummie

NaptownChief
10-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Give Tank and Turk a couple years of experience,.

I hope they get more experience than that however a couple years of NFL experience before being out of the league is about the norm for Chief first day drafted DT's.

MGRS13
10-12-2007, 03:02 PM
I can't complain about either tank nor turk both seem to be doing very well. Knock on wood.

Direckshun
10-12-2007, 03:24 PM
I'd project Boone to play at least four years for us. He didn't get a lot of play in Chicago, and he's anything from a solid starter to a great backup.

But yeah, our DTs need to pick up their game a little bit because our DL is the reason our play against the run has been so poor. Some of that will be resolved as Tank & Turk develop, but we've got to continue to keep building that DL.

teedubya
10-12-2007, 03:29 PM
I would have preferred them to draft Ryan Kalil C from USC.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
10-12-2007, 04:40 PM

Agreed....Boone has played great I believe - I just wish he could be a little more consistent - I think he is a bit out-of-shape - not sure how many consecutive plays he is usually in?

penchief
10-12-2007, 08:28 PM

I'd rather have Claude Humphrey.

penchief
10-12-2007, 08:31 PM
I say we show a little love for Ron Edwards also. Having someone besides Reed and Sims lining up next to him has made his game seem a lot better. Not dominating, but better.

Agreed. Edwards has been a very pleasant surprise. And he's still fairly young (27?). But I also agree that Boone has been good.

IMO, the only reason that Tyler and McBride aren't playing more is that Edwards and Boone are pretty decent players with a lot more know-how.

Micjones
10-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Boone's having a Pro Bowl year thus far.
Eff what you heard.

I like how McBride's shaping up as a DT.
This line could be lethal in 2 years.

KcMizzou
10-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Anyone criticizing Boone hasn't been watching the Chiefs.

For several years...

KcMizzou
10-12-2007, 08:41 PM
I hope they get more experience than that however a couple years of NFL experience before being out of the league is about the norm for Chief first day drafted DT's.Well, they probably both have more game experience than Sims ever had. :shake:

What a waste that tub 'o goo was.

Smed1065
10-12-2007, 10:16 PM
I am surprised at the results the Chiefs have had considering the draft choices on either line.

We are now paying for it. I still say results start with the lines and we have sucked draft wise or dumping who we should have kept.

Mecca
10-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Solid rotation players are valuable to have no question problem is...all of our DT's are that...

Until this team gets a Glen Dorsey/Sedrick Ellis type this defense won't look like a cover 2 is suppose to look.

MadMax
10-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Anyone criticizing Boone hasn't been watching the Chiefs.

For several years...

Boone was a good signing IMO..

MadMax
10-12-2007, 10:53 PM
I'd rather have Claude Humphrey.

ROFL! gotta love the Baked Mcbride :)

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-13-2007, 12:40 AM
Solid rotation players are valuable to have no question problem is...all of our DT's are that...

Until this team gets a Glen Dorsey/Sedrick Ellis type this defense won't look like a cover 2 is suppose to look.

You can't yet say that Tyler won't emerge into a really, really good DT--a Booger McFarland type. Odds...low, but not impossible.

Turk can be a really good 3 technique too.

DTs are rarely monsters as rookies.

Smed1065
10-13-2007, 12:46 AM
They might be assuming he should be because WR's are not either, usually.

I think he just needs to be conditioned and weight trained for the NFL. I have high hopes but I usually do. We are due for a DL pick surely?

Odds are in our favor.

All we need is 2 OL picks and a CB pick to start next year.

LOL

ChiefsCountry
10-13-2007, 01:18 AM
Tank was a first round pick talent, slipped bc he is idiot pretty much. If we can lite a fire in his ass all the time, he could be a dominating player.

Anyong Bluth
10-13-2007, 04:08 AM
You can't yet say that Tyler won't emerge into a really, really good DT--a Booger McFarland type. Odds...low, but not impossible.

Turk can be a really good 3 technique too.

DTs are rarely monsters as rookies.

Rep, but I'm not wasting my time to actually rep you. DT and QB are by far the two biggest unknowns, draftwise. In fact, the number of QB's that filter through vs. the number of DT's that pan out are even less. The biggest problem is that most NFL pedigreed DT's are already freaks of nature, and never have to apply any real work ethic or learn any technique in college to excel. Once they get drafted they're already lazy and assume they can get by on physical assets without doing anything else, but the NFL is a whole different ball game. Most NFL offensive linemen are very astute, and while they may not be the most physically gifted, are very ahead of the game in terms of footwork and technique- that is if they're worth 2 shits.

Turk has great promise to be a pressure DT, and when coupled with Tank, makes for a very lethal compliment. People can shit Herm out, but his draft choices have been very good.

Tribal Warfare
10-13-2007, 04:32 AM

Glen Dorsey is way overrated IMO

Chiefnj2
10-13-2007, 05:35 AM
People can shit Herm out, but his draft choices have been very good.

Who are the "very good" draft choices, other than the 1st round picks?

ChiefsGirl
10-13-2007, 06:58 AM
Who are the "very good" draft choices, other than the 1st round picks?

Jarrad Page?