PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs pulling Page from

Mr. Laz
10-14-2007, 04:47 PM
...the field during passing downs and putting wesley in?

Page was out for most of the 2nd half :shrug:

Zouk
10-14-2007, 04:51 PM
The first touchdown of the day was not his best moment.

dtebbe
10-14-2007, 05:32 PM
The first touchdown of the day was not his best moment.

Looked to me like he had inside coverage, and the CB let him get outside. I think that was on the CB.

DT

CupidStunt
10-14-2007, 05:33 PM
We need to wait and see, but I'd be surprised if safety isn't on the "need" list come season's end - either free, strong or even both.

dj56dt58
10-14-2007, 05:35 PM
We need to wait and see, but I'd be surprised if safety isn't on the "need" list come season's end - either free, strong or even both.
gotta remember this is their first year starting..their not gonna be great right away..safety takes time to learn

RealSNR
10-14-2007, 05:38 PM
That wasn't Page on the first TD, that was Surtain.

Zouk
10-14-2007, 05:51 PM
That wasn't Page on the first TD, that was Surtain.

I thought he completely blew the tackle. Hopefully I'll see a clip so I can see if I was correct.

pikesome
10-14-2007, 05:53 PM
I thought he completely blew the tackle. Hopefully I'll see a clip so I can see if I was correct.

If we're replacing players because they missed tackles we're going to need a bunch of draft picks this off season.

TEX
10-14-2007, 05:57 PM
...the field during passing downs and putting wesley in?

Page was out for most of the 2nd half :shrug:

He has shown all season that he can't tackle and can barely cover. Personally, I think they're just starting him to "get younger."

Zouk
10-14-2007, 05:58 PM
If we're replacing players because they missed tackles we're going to need a bunch of draft picks this off season.

I never said I wanted him replaced. We have way too many other holes to even think about spending significant resources on safety this offseason.

If what I saw was correct, however (and I'm pretty sure it was) it was a terrible play by Page. It's appropriate to put Wesley in if Page is making mistakes that lead to TDs.

kcxiv
10-14-2007, 06:18 PM
He has shown all season that he can't tackle and can barely cover. Personally, I think they're just starting him to "get younger."
He can barely cover? he's made some amazing plays in coverage. He's very very strong covering. He's just not a good tackler. You been watching the Chiefs games?

Mr. Laz
10-14-2007, 06:45 PM
He can barely cover? he's made some amazing plays in coverage. He's very very strong covering. He's just not a good tackler. You been watching the Chiefs games?
then why did they pull him in the nickle all game?

we basically went prevent nickle defense the entire second half and wesley was in ...

i guess the chiefs don't agree with you

kcxiv
10-14-2007, 06:49 PM
then why did they pull him in the nickle all game?

we basically went prevent nickle defense the entire second half and wesley was in ...

i guess the chiefs don't agree with youI have no idea, but i have seen him make some amazing plays. Maybe they wanted wesley because he tackles better and they didnt want 2 young guys in the game at the same time.

Mecca
10-14-2007, 06:51 PM

I tend to agree with this.....

There are times when Page shows flashes but at other times he looks like the 7th round pick he was...he may be best suited as a backup/role player.

Pollard isn't good enough in coverage or fast enough to really be a starter either. He's a LB/SS hybrid which I think can have a valuable role in a defense. Notice I said role not starter.....

To be an elite top of the league defense we'll need to overhaul the secondary....

Mr. Laz
10-14-2007, 06:51 PM
I have no idea, but i have seen him make some amazing plays. Maybe they wanted wesley because he tackles better and they didnt want 2 young guys in the game at the same time.
you're grasping ..... then why would they pull Pollard?

evidently they think Pollard is the more dependable in passing situations because Pollard and page where in for the base defense and the Page came out in nickle and dime.

Hammock Parties
10-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Page got hurt, Laz.

jjchieffan
10-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Page got hurt, Laz.

When? He was in on special teams at the end. He recovered the onside kick. It also seems to me I remember Pages name being called on breaking up some passes to Johnson and T.J. whatshisname. If I am right, that is pretty good. They are some top tier receivers.

Hammock Parties
10-14-2007, 07:23 PM
When? He was in on special teams at the end. He recovered the onside kick. It also seems to me I remember Pages name being called on breaking up some passes to Johnson and T.J. whatshisname. If I am right, that is pretty good. They are some top tier receivers.

Herm said Page's hamstrings tightened up so they took him out. It had nothing to do with his abilities. He's played great this year and was great once again today.

The Bad Guy
10-14-2007, 07:29 PM
I love how Page and Pollard now are better "role" players after just starting 6 games.

Weren't you the one Mecca who said that 6 games is a pretty short amount of time to measure something in another thread today?

RealSNR
10-14-2007, 07:33 PM
I know you draft best player available, but safety should still be pretty far down the list.

Cornerback, however, is not. We need to get younger at the position yesterday.

Mecca
10-14-2007, 07:36 PM
I love how Page and Pollard now are better "role" players after just starting 6 games.

Weren't you the one Mecca who said that 6 games is a pretty short amount of time to measure something in another thread today?

Have you watched Bernard Pollard attempt to cover anyone.....No matter how much time he has he isn't going to magically run faster.

Zouk
10-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Have you watched Bernard Pollard attempt to cover anyone.....No matter how much time he has he isn't going to magically run faster.

John Lynch was never particularly speedy and he played safety in the cover 2 as well as anyone ever has. Rodney Harrison doesn't have great speed and he covers deep all the time. Pollard is fine.

Mecca
10-14-2007, 07:57 PM
John Lynch was never particularly speedy and he played safety in the cover 2 as well as anyone ever has. Rodney Harrison doesn't have great speed and he covers deep all the time. Pollard is fine.

Those guys are smart veteran players......

Houshmanzadeh's 2nd TD was a direct result of Pollard being late in coverage....

I think Pollard can have a solid contributing role to a great defense, I just don't think it's as a full time starter.

beer bacon
10-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Page is great in coverage. Anyone that says otherwise is ignorant. He is just about our only player that consistently defenses or intercepts passes in the endzone.

beer bacon
10-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Those guys are smart veteran players......

Houshmanzadeh's 2nd TD was a direct result of Pollard being late in coverage....

I think Pollard can have a solid contributing role to a great defense, I just don't think it's as a full time starter.

You can tell this after six games?

Mecca
10-14-2007, 08:06 PM
You can tell this after six games?

He just doesn't have the range for a cover 2 scheme, he's asked to cover far to much ground for what he's physically capable of doing.

Page has range he's just a crappy tackler.

beer bacon
10-14-2007, 08:08 PM
He just doesn't have the range for a cover 2 scheme, he's asked to cover far to much ground for what he's physically capable of doing.

Page has range he's just a crappy tackler.

I think a guy like Pollard can be an asset in the cover 2, as long as our line keeps getting pressure. I do see where you are coming from, but I don't think Pollard is as slow as a guy like Lynch or Knight.

elvomito
10-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Looked to me like he had inside coverage, and the CB let him get outside. I think that was on the CB.

DT
the announcer said it was on Brackendridge, but page accidentally took out donnie edwards as they both tried to make the tackle.

Mecca
10-14-2007, 08:14 PM
I think a guy like Pollard can be an asset in the cover 2, as long as our line keeps getting pressure. I do see where you are coming from, but I don't think Pollard is as slow as a guy like Lynch or Knight.

I hope he's not that slow he's 10 years younger.....but neither of those guys plays in a cover 2 and shouldn't.

Pass rush saved them for the most part today, or they'd have really looked bad. The biggest problem will come when they face a team that can contain the line...this secondary does have issues.

Zouk
10-14-2007, 08:16 PM
I hope he's not that slow he's 10 years younger.....but neither of those guys plays in a cover 2 and shouldn't.

Are you talking about John Lynch? The guy who wrote the book on playing safety in the cover 2?

Mecca
10-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Are you talking about John Lynch? The guy who wrote the book on playing safety in the cover 2?

6 years ago yes....today no. Lynch was a great player once he is no longer that.

Zouk
10-14-2007, 08:18 PM
6 years ago yes....today no. Lynch was a great player once he is no longer that.

He was never faster than Pollard.

You need to come up with a different theory.

Mecca
10-14-2007, 08:20 PM
He was never faster than Pollard.

You need to come up with a different theory.

He is/was 1000 times smarter though....you can make up for a lack of speed with being smart and always being in position. Right now Pollard is doing neither...

We'll see how the rest of the year goes but he is a major issue for trying to play this scheme.

Buehler445
10-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Herm said Page's hamstrings tightened up so they took him out. It had nothing to do with his abilities. He's played great this year and was great once again today.

I heard this on the presser also.

As of right now, I'm satisfied with P&P. I said before that I was willing to deal with missed plays if they developed. I didn't see the game today, but I think Pollard in particular has come the furthest, but he had a long way to go.

IMO, Page is tackling better. His tackling was horrid in the Houston game , but from what I've seen has gotten better.

I didn't see the game, but I'm not willing to throw in the towel quite yet. They are not perfect, and they may never be great, but so far, they are what I expected. IMO, there are much larger "needs" for this team in the offseason. Tackle, Guard, Center, CB, LB.

Give the kids time.

The Bad Guy
10-14-2007, 08:36 PM

90% of the safeties in the NFL aren't fast by your standards then.

I'm glad 6 games is enough time for you to determine Pollard's value, but you can't hold the players you think 'will be can't miss' under the same criteria.

Logical
10-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Our safeties are only OK but lord we desperately need young talent at both Corners, the entire offensive line except for maybe one guard, a true fullback, possibly QB (this pisses me off) and we are talking about safety?