PDA

View Full Version : Larry Needs Some Pie

Hammock Parties
10-15-2007, 07:55 PM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/691094.html

As you readers are by now no doubt fully aware, I’m a big fan of Chiefs running back Larry Johnson. While that remains true, I’ve grown tired of his latest trend in behavior, and now it’s time for some tough love.

Larry Johnson needs to grow up.

In the past, some have compared Johnson to players like Randy Moss and Terrell Owens. These comparisons never carried much weight, and to be honest, they still don’t. That’s because Moss and Owens stood up like men recently and faced the media.

Moss and Owens both scored touchdowns Sunday in their head-to-head matchup, but neither player had his best day. Moss had just 59 yards receiving, Owens 66. The longest catch between the two covered only 14 yards.

But Owens, despite losing, did not run and hide when the game was over. He did that during the week, leaving a prepared statement for reporters. After the loss he stood tall and fielded questions about his key illegal procedure penalty with the game on the line.

Moss, of course, also showed up, and had no problem taking a backseat to his teammates in a winning effort.

“I just wanted to do what I could to help my team win this game,” said Moss. “I come to work everyday. I love seeing the guys. I love the camaraderie of the locker room and practice everyday. We have fun, but at the same time you've all heard about the humble pie.”

Humble pie? I think Larry Johnson needs a big slice right now, because quite frankly he’s starving for a little home-baked discipline. His actions on the field Sunday were inexcusable.

After a successful first-half (16 carries, 106 yards), Johnson ran into the old brick wall again for the rest of the game (15 carries, 13 yards). He didn’t like it, and finally the frustration boiled over with four minutes left. Johnson threw the ball away after being stuffed for a six-yard loss on third down, and was flagged for a delay of game penalty.

This cost the Chiefs five yards in field position. It also stopped the clock, gifting the Cincinnati Bengals with precious seconds in their bid to mount a furious comeback. What’s worse, this was LJ’s second delay of game penalty this year – has he learned nothing?

Sure, I understand why he threw that ball – he’s tired of getting thrown for a loss every other time he takes a handoff in a power formation (more on this subject Wednesday). But he had no right to do such a thing - Johnson’s act was selfish. It was selfish because he was far from perfect Sunday – a fumble on the goal line, repeated lackadaisical errors in pass protection, and again, too much dancing (which can lead to six yard losses on third down, you know).

And then, of course, after all this was over, he escaped the scene of the crime without facing the media. Meanwhile, Moss and Owens showed up.

And it isn’t the first time that’s happened this year. Johnson didn’t talk to the media after the Chiefs won their first game of the year against the Vikings, and he fled Arrowhead Stadium so fast after the Jaguars game he probably beat traffic. Leaving so quickly after a loss is one thing, but remaining silent after a win? Larry, can’t you be happy for your teammates, regardless of your statistics? Moss certainly was, even if he didn’t have his best day.

It seems to me that Johnson is so concerned with his numbers, he’s letting it cloud his focus on the true goal – winning. He can’t stand looking at the paper Monday morning and seeing his name next to that 3.4 yards per carry number. He can’t stand watching LaDainian Tomlinson ripping off four touchdowns and rookie Adrian Peterson racing his way to over 200 yards rushing while he’s repeatedly hit behind the line of scrimmage and gains as little as 12 yards in a game.

Hey, I feel the same way, Larry, but I’m a fan. As a player, and the highly-paid face of KC’s franchise, you should be taking on the Trent Green role right now (and if the Chiefs need you to ram your head into the line of scrimmage to burn clock with a 17-point lead, so be it – statistics be damned).

For six seasons, Green was around after every game – every game – win or lose. No matter how many interceptions he threw or how poorly the Chiefs offense played, he was there to talk to the media.

Something needs to change. As a fan, this is embarrassing behavior to witness. I’m almost ashamed to wear that #27 jersey on Sundays right now. I can’t even argue with the critics, because at the moment, they’re right.

Look, I won’t question Johnson’s heart or desire in this space, and to be fair, I’m absolutely impressed and proud of the fact he’s caught almost every pass thrown in his direction this year. That’s an improvement.

But Larry desperately needs someone to get in his face and serve him a slice of humble pie. Maybe it’s Herm Edwards, who repeatedly said he wasn’t “a big stat guy,” this week. Maybe it’s team leader Brian Waters, who has had a major hand in Johnson’s success over the past three seasons and put cornerback Benny Sapp in his place following a costly foul on Sunday. Maybe it’s general manager Carl Peterson, who isn’t getting his money’s worth right now.

But to be honest, that pie would taste better if you baked it and ate it all by yourself, Larry.

It won’t happen, but Johnson ought to be benched for the first quarter next week in Oakland. Seeing Michael Bennett and Kolby Smith taking his handoffs might just wake him up and realize how privileged he is to be playing in the NFL. And seeing Priest Holmes take them could really pay off in the long run.

StcChief
10-15-2007, 08:02 PM
So where's Beoncy or one of her friends in his time of need :)

banyon
10-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Larry Johnson needs to grow up?

From a virgin who lives in his parents' basement and welches on bets?

OnTheWarpath15
10-15-2007, 08:06 PM

ROFL

StcChief
10-15-2007, 08:09 PM

called out.... impressive.

HolmeZz
10-15-2007, 08:45 PM
You need to stop with the 'As all of you know by now...' intros to your columns. You have no frequent readers. In fact, you'd probably be better off dedicating the first two paragraphs of all your pieces to informing them who you are and why the hell they should care what you think. Act like the person has never read one of your columns before, as chances are they haven't.

Hootie
10-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Benching Larry would probably be the worst idea ever...

I don't think that would 'wake him up', I think that would make things worse...

You have to baby Larry, that's just the way it is...

StcChief
10-15-2007, 08:55 PM
LJ should be thinkin' YARDS now since I've had some low number games.

Get 'em in bunches vs. rival now.

teedubya
10-15-2007, 09:11 PM

http://www.playwithlinn.com/Images/funny%20pics/oh%20snap.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Benching Larry would probably be the worst idea ever...

I don't think that would 'wake him up', I think that would make things worse...

You have to baby Larry, that's just the way it is...

You shouldn't bench Larry, but babying someone who is a crybaby is probably the worst thing you can do. He needs his ass kicked, not kissed.

KcMizzou
10-15-2007, 09:16 PM
LJ will mature with age. (There's a newsflash LMAO)

I'm pretty sick of his shit too, but I love his talent.

Fact is, by the time he firgures it out, I doubt he'll be a Chief.

When he does though, some team's gonna have a monster.

Hammock Parties
10-15-2007, 09:17 PM
LJ will mature with age. (There's a newsflash LMAO)

He's already had a chance to mature. This is his fifth year in the league.

KcMizzou
10-15-2007, 09:19 PM
He's already had a chance to mature. This is his fifth year in the league.I know... but I see him getting a change of scenery, taking a long look in the mirror, and rededicating himself. It happens all the time, all over the league.

(Moss is an easy example)

I'd much rather he figure it out while he's here... but at this point it doesn't seem likely.

Deberg_1990
10-15-2007, 09:20 PM
You want LJ to start looking to Moss and TO as role models???

ROFL

KcMizzou
10-15-2007, 09:21 PM
You want LJ to start looking to Moss and TO as role models???

ROFL
Is that what I said?

Deberg_1990
10-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Is that what I said?

No, its what GoTurd implied in his column

KcMizzou
10-15-2007, 09:23 PM
No, its what GoTurd implied in his columnOh, my bad. :redface:

banyon
10-15-2007, 09:24 PM
He's already had a chance to mature. This is his fifth year in the league.

What a coincidence, it's your 5th year on the board.

Deberg_1990
10-15-2007, 09:25 PM
I honestly dont see the big deal. If a guy doesnt want to talk to the press, big whoop. Each person deals with adversity differently.

There is nothing written in stone that says a player MUST talk to the press. Frankly i get a little sick of todays sound byte obsessed media.

Hammock Parties
10-15-2007, 09:28 PM
I honestly dont see the big deal. If a guy doesnt want to talk to the press, big whoop. Each person deals with adversity differently.

There is nothing written in stone that says a player MUST talk to the press. Frankly i get a little sick of our sound byte obsessed media.

Larry talked to the media the first two games. Then he decided he'd had enough after the Vikings game....and the Jags game...and yesterday....

Deberg_1990
10-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Larry talked to the media the first two games. Then he decided he'd had enough after the Vikings game....and the Jags game...and yesterday....

like i said, every man deals with adversity differently....

Its a free country.

KcMizzou
10-15-2007, 09:30 PM

There is nothing written in stone that says a player MUST talk to the press.I don't care if he talks to the press either.

I'd just like to see him lighten the hell up a bit. Football's a fun game. Have fun with your teammates.

If he goes on like this, at some point he'll really regret it.

I was thrilled to see him jump up after that first carry. He was hopping around, excited... and the fans responded. He had some pep in his step.

He lost that when he fumbled. After that it was the same old Larry.

We want to love ya, LJ. You're just making it really hard right now.

Hammock Parties
10-15-2007, 09:33 PM
like i said, every man deals with adversity differently....

Its a free country.

I just think it's bullshit that he bails. He's supposed to be a team leader.

Deberg_1990
10-15-2007, 09:36 PM
I just think it's bullshit that he bails. He's supposed to be a team leader.

Perhaps..i understand why you wouldnt like it. But i just think people need to lay off the guy a little.

AS much as some of us may wish he would be more a leader, it doesnt appear its in his makeup. Maybe he will mature over time? Who knows...

SoCalBronco
10-15-2007, 09:45 PM

Oh Snap

That's gonna leave a mark.

Mr. Kotter
10-15-2007, 09:49 PM
LJ needs a size 15 boot up his whiney sniveling pathetic bitch ass.

Either his dad, or Brian Waters ought to take his silly ass to the woodshed. And beat some sense into him.

Hammock Parties
10-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Maybe he will mature over time? Who knows...

Again, this is his FIFTH year in the league.