PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Your best meal you cook to optimize the impression your guest will get.

Simply Red
10-16-2007, 06:12 PM
So, what is it? If you really had to `bring it,` to impress. What would you bring to the table (cook?)

Easy 6
10-16-2007, 06:26 PM
I gots a bunch of'em.

A SICK Crab Rangoon (i make'em for the Super Bowl every year & i ALWAYS get laid).

Chicken Parmesan, with a great sauce...olive oil, red wine, garlic...Mmmm, pasta al dente of course.

Fried whole catfish, with slaw & some sort of tater...that always hits the spot.

Carne Asada tacos, very simple...chopped steak, onion, cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, on a steamed corn shell...oh yeah.

Thats just a sample.

KcMizzou
10-16-2007, 06:27 PM
A SICK Crab Rangoon (i make'em for the Super Bowl every year & i ALWAYS get laid).
LMAO

Simply Red
10-16-2007, 06:31 PM
I gots a bunch of'em.

Chicken Parmesan, with a great sauce...olive oil, red wine, garlic...Mmmm, pasta al dente of course.

Fried whole catfish, with slaw & some sort of tater...that always hits the spot.

Carne Asada tacos, very simple...chopped steak, onion, cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, on a steamed corn shell...oh yeah.

Thats just a sample.
These are all nice choices scott :clap: . Funny, because I had crab rangoon w/ me lo mein tonight. I'd like that recipe, if/when you find time.

Rain Man
10-16-2007, 06:31 PM
I've got a Tunisian dish that was the Bon Appetit entree of the year a few years back. It takes all day, and it's got all sorts of spices and fruits around a base of pork. It's pretty amazing.

(Clarification: it's not my creation. I just make it from Bon Appetit's recipe.)

Vegas_Dave
10-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Big fat Ribeyes! Grilled Corn on the Cob (30 minutes). Baked Potatoe on the Grill (1 hour with slabs of butter and lots of oinion in the center of each potater).

Yummy.

Simply Red
10-16-2007, 06:34 PM
I've got a Tunisian dish that was the Bon Appetit entree of the year a few years back. It takes all day, and it's got all sorts of spices and fruits around a base of pork. It's pretty amazing.

(Clarification: it's not my creation. I just make it from Bon Appetit's recipe.)
nice *whispering with admiration

Bwana
10-16-2007, 06:37 PM

LMAO

As it should be!

Simply Red
10-16-2007, 06:39 PM
4 split chick. breast bone in skin on
one 10 oz. jar O apricot preserves
1/2 cup O onion
1/2 cup O dry sherry
1/2 cup O soy sauce
Dash O black pepper

Mix everything together in mixing bowl. Pour over chicken. Bake 30 minute at 350 reduce to 250 for 1.5 hrs. Serve with plain white rice and green beens accompany this nicely.

Easy 6
10-16-2007, 07:18 PM
These are all nice choices scott :clap: . Funny, because I had crab rangoon w/ me lo mein tonight. I'd like that recipe, if/when you find time.

I dont really use a recipe as far as measurements, i just eyeball it 'til it looks right...but heres the ingredients.

Fake crab meat, 1 package.

Chopped fresh ginger, a must...but try to go easy, 'bout a TBSP.

A few dashes of soy sauce.

Sesame oil, cant make'em without it...but again, go easy, the stuff is strong.

Cream cheese (soft), about 2 small tubs.

Tiny pinch of minced garlic.

Minced green onion.

You want a fairly firm mix, pouch it up in spring roll shells & fry 'til golden brown. Dip in a sweet & sour sauce.

Glad to see some of ya got the Charlie Sheen on SNL reference.

Joe Seahawk
10-16-2007, 07:22 PM
PAPA A LA HUANCAINA :drool:

beer bacon
10-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Beef flavored ramen noodles, or possibly Tuna Helper.

cdcox
10-16-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm best known for my egg rolls, so I'd go with those.

But I do a beef fillet with a great pan sauce and side of stuffed mushrooms that is out of this world. It's our standard fare for family celebrations.

I've got another dozen or more dishes that are better than 99% of resturaunt fare.

Simply Red
10-16-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm best known for my egg rolls, so I'd go with those.

But I do a beef fillet with a great pan sauce and side of stuffed mushrooms that is out of this world. It's our standard fare for family celebrations.

I've got another dozen or more dishes that are better than 99% of resturaunt fare.
Found a great aeoli for dipping or drizzle over grilled shrimp or scallops. Phenomenal, best I've had. Getting recipe now. Hang tight.

Simply Red
10-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Beef flavored ramen noodles, or possibly Tuna Helper.
Excellent. Thanks for contributing. :)

Simply Red
10-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Okay C.D. Cox, Write this one down, it's a keeper.
I doubled it to ensure it will be enough.
2 cups of hellmanns real mayo. not lite.
1/2 cup of apricot preserves
2 TBS. soy-sauce
2 TBS. Grey Poupon
4 individual cloves O garlic (fresh)
1 teas. of grated ginger

Combine in cuisinart agitate for several minutes. It is incredible.

Fire Me Boy!
10-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Depends.

If I'm not trying to get laid, it's a lasagna. But it's really heavy and better than any lasagna I've ever had.

If I'm trying to get laid, I'd go with something lighter... not sure.

My go-to for guests (since I'm married and NOT trying to get laid by one of the guests) is the lasagna.

Lonewolf Ed
10-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Sauerbraten, red cabbage, and homemade German potato salad with beer dressing is my best dinner.

sedated
10-16-2007, 07:50 PM
sausage with a side of cream sauce

Simply Red
10-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Sauerbraten, red cabbage, and homemade German potato salad with beer dressing is my best dinner.
Sounds great as well.

Easy 6
10-16-2007, 08:01 PM

That'll stick to the ribs on a cold night.

Phobia
10-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Wow. I have no idea. I generally make what I want, I guess. I very rarely bomb. I guess I'd probably make a poblano crawfish cream sauce over filet with grilled scallops on the side.

cdcox
10-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Okay C.D. Cox, Write this one down, it's a keeper.
I doubled it to ensure it will be enough.
2 cups of hellmanns real mayo. not lite.
1/2 cup of apricot preserves
2 TBS. soy-sauce
2 TBS. Grey Poupon
4 individual cloves O garlic (fresh)
1 teas. of grated ginger

Combine in cuisinart agitate for several minutes. It is incredible.

I'll give it a try next time I make shrimp. I've tried 3 or 4 recipies from the planet with good results.

Simply Red
10-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Wow. I have no idea. I generally make what I want, I guess. I very rarely bomb. I guess I'd probably make a poblano crawfish cream sauce over filet with grilled scallops on the side.
Yeah, when I grill scallops or shrimp I like to use cayenne pepper fairly liberally. The pungency will die over the flame, additionally I like sea salt. But like you, I'll typically let a sauce do the talking. But Phil, try that aeoli recipe I provided above it is exceptional. Write down that recipe.

Simply Red
10-16-2007, 08:17 PM
I'll give it a try next time I make shrimp. I've tried 3 or 4 recipies from the planet with good results.
good deal. Go ahead a write it down so you don't forget. Give me your feedback.

cdcox
10-16-2007, 08:26 PM
good deal. Go ahead a write it down so you don't forget. Give me your feedback.

Paper and I don't get along. I'll search for "apricot" when I'm ready to try it. I'll report back.

Simply Red
10-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Paper and I don't get along. I'll search for "apricot" when I'm ready to try it. I'll report back.
all you'll get is numerous descriptions of Kevin's BMW. ;)

siberian khatru
10-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Your liver, with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

KCFalcon59
10-16-2007, 08:31 PM
I make the worlds finest lasagna. It's the best around. Though there won't be anything happening after. It will clog your arteries and put you in a coma for the rest of the evening.

wutamess
10-16-2007, 09:04 PM
I've always been the omelet man.
I've perfected the art of eggs.

Every family function if there's a breakfast... I'm the designated egg guru.

Used to be my favorite food until my chloresterol got too high. Now I'm stuck with egg beaters.

Close but not the same.

Simply Red
10-16-2007, 09:06 PM

Used to be my favorite food until my chloresterol got too high. Now I'm stuck with egg beaters.

Close but not the same.
me too, re: omelets. :drool:

MaxFects
10-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Baked ziti and garlic bread. Really easy and who doesnt like pasta, meat, and melted cheese.

KCChiefsMan
10-16-2007, 10:41 PM
1 Digorno
BUT
Adds extra mushrooms and black olives with some extra mozz. cheese on top (add cheese halfway through the cook)
Sprinkle some rosemary on top.

it never fails

stevieray
10-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Dollar menu at mickey d's...

sedated
10-16-2007, 10:45 PM

you've always dated the classy ones

Phobia
10-16-2007, 10:47 PM

Close but not the same.
I think my interest in cooking began with omelets in home class in the 8th grade. To this day, love it.

ChiefsCountry
10-16-2007, 10:48 PM

And this is coming from Elvis :)

Bob Dole
10-16-2007, 10:49 PM
BBQ bologna on white bread.

stevieray
10-16-2007, 10:51 PM
you've always dated the classy ones

the key is a low maintenence hottie.

...but never understimate the power of a home cooked meal for your babe...

Mr. Flopnuts
10-16-2007, 10:54 PM
It's perhaps the easiest thing on Earth to make, but it is my specialty. I get requests for it all the time. Chicken Fettucine Alfredo, and the Alfredo sauce is made from scratch of course. I can't say the same for the pasta.

sedated
10-16-2007, 11:00 PM
spaghetti O's

(the big can)

RJ
10-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Well, if I gotta choose one meal....

Fried chicken
Mashed taters
Gravy

It is amazing how impressed folks are by such a simple meal. And yes, good fried chicken can get you laid........no egg joke intended.

10-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Pizza and beer.

cdcox
10-16-2007, 11:11 PM

Fried chicken
Mashed taters
Gravy

It is amazing how impressed folks are by such a simple meal. And yes, good fried chicken can get you laid........no egg joke intended.

There is nothing like good homemade comfort food. Most people remember it from their childhood, but don't take the time to make it for themselves.

Phobia
10-16-2007, 11:12 PM
1 Digorno
BUT
Adds extra mushrooms and black olives with some extra mozz. cheese on top (add cheese halfway through the cook)
Sprinkle some rosemary on top.

it never fails

Dude, doctoring digiorno is one of my favorite pasttimes.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-16-2007, 11:13 PM

Fried chicken
Mashed taters
Gravy

Being in the land of tree hugging, pot smoking, hippies, this is another favorite. People love watching my fat, corn fed, midwestern ass cook them up some fried cheekin with all the fixins.

mcan
10-16-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm not really a cook, as I don't have the time to practice nor do I have the space or hardware in my apartment to do very much. When I DO cook though, I make a big deal out of it and try to make some great stuff.

The one "date" that I've cooked for ended up being a decent meal. A couple of very nice Ribeyes with some fried rice and garlic mashed potatos. I really dug the mashed potatos, so I made them again the next night just for myself. She was impressed. Not enough to take her clothes off though... I hardly ever get that recipie right.

Some other things that I LOVE to make for games are

Chili: (with a V8 and refried beans base that's amazing and a ton of beef and sausage ground up and thrown in).

Nachos: (Very simple, Velveta, rotel, spices, ground beef and sour cream on the side so people can put however much they want in their bowl or plate)

When served, a REALLY nice trick is to throw some nacho cheeze INTO the chili with some Fritos. :drool:

RJ
10-16-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm not really a cook, as I don't have the time to practice nor do I have the space or hardware in my apartment to do very much. When I DO cook though, I make a big deal out of it and try to make some great stuff.

The one "date" that I've cooked for ended up being a decent meal. A couple of very nice Ribeyes with some fried rice and garlic mashed potatos. I really dug the mashed potatos, so I made them again the next night just for myself. She was impressed. Not enough to take her clothes off though... I hardly ever get that recipie right.

Some other things that I LOVE to make for games are

Chili: (with a V8 and refried beans base that's amazing and a ton of beef and sausage ground up and thrown in).

Nachos: (Very simple, Velveta, rotel, spices, ground beef and sour cream on the side so people can put however much they want in their bowl or plate)

Refried beans in the chili? I am intrigued. Explain yourself please sir.

When served, a REALLY nice trick is to throw some nacho cheeze INTO the chili with some Fritos. :drool:

RJ
10-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Ok, try that again....

I'm curious about the refrieds in the chili. Explain yourself sir.

mcan
10-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Ok, try that again....

I'm curious about the refrieds in the chili. Explain yourself sir.

Instead of a big bunch of tomatos or tomato sauce making your base (I don't like the texture of chunks of tomatos and the tomato sauce takes too many spices to make palatable) I use whatever grade of V8 that strikes my fancy. Much of the time (if I'm cooking for a crowd) I'll use the regular V8 in the big bottles to make a pot of chili. Sometimes I'll go with the "spicy" V8. The problem with the V8 is that it is too thin, unless you want your chili soupy... So, to thicken up that stuff it is the first thing to go in the pot. I get it REALLY hot and put in a whole can (the big cans on the bottom shelf) of refried beans. The V8 by now is hot enough that it absorbs the refried quite nicely (with some stirring) and almost turns it into thick GRAVY. Make sure it isn't globbing up at the bottom and it completely absorbs. Then whatever else you want to put in there.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-16-2007, 11:46 PM

Sounds like Priest Holmes has a new crush.

TinyEvel
10-17-2007, 12:07 AM
It don't mater if you're cooking hot dogs when it's on a VIKING

Phobia
10-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Instead of a big bunch of tomatos or tomato sauce making your base (I don't like the texture of chunks of tomatos and the tomato sauce takes too many spices to make palatable) I use whatever grade of V8 that strikes my fancy. Much of the time (if I'm cooking for a crowd) I'll use the regular V8 in the big bottles to make a pot of chili. Sometimes I'll go with the "spicy" V8. The problem with the V8 is that it is too thin, unless you want your chili soupy... So, to thicken up that stuff it is the first thing to go in the pot. I get it REALLY hot and put in a whole can (the big cans on the bottom shelf) of refried beans. The V8 by now is hot enough that it absorbs the refried quite nicely (with some stirring) and almost turns it into thick GRAVY. Make sure it isn't globbing up at the bottom and it completely absorbs. Then whatever else you want to put in there.

I'm not sure what you're making here but it sure as heck isn't chili. It sounds like a meaty bean soup to me. That's what you should start calling it from now on. Please.

Phobia
10-17-2007, 12:16 AM
It don't mater if you're cooking hot dogs when it's on a VIKING

I dig it.

mcan
10-17-2007, 02:32 AM
I'm not sure what you're making here but it sure as heck isn't chili. It sounds like a meaty bean soup to me. That's what you should start calling it from now on. Please.

Prey tell Phobes, what makes it "not-chili?"

1ChiefsDan
10-17-2007, 04:43 AM
smoked lobster tails

Fire Me Boy!
10-17-2007, 06:41 AM
I thought Phil was pretty clear when he called it meaty bean soup.

It sure as hell ain't chili.

tooge
10-17-2007, 07:21 AM
Chioppino (sp). San Francisco seafood stew. It takes a while and is rather expensive, but it presents well and simply kicks ass.

basically the ingredients are as follows, but there are variations. Here is mine.
2 large cans diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato puree
1 large diced onion
4 cloves minced garlic
2 cups white wine
capers
1 cup green olives minced
1 lb king crab legs cut in 2 inch pieces (shell on)
1/2 lb large shrimp (shells on)
1/2 lb scallops
1/2 lb fish cubed in 2 inch cubes (walleye, snapper, cod, or other )
2 lobster tails cut length wise (shell still on)
olive oil
clam juice
linguini noodles
fresh basil
sourdough bread bowls
Place seafood in pot with wine, onion, capers, garlic and olive oil. Bring to a boil and cover. Let simmer for about 20 minutes. In another pot, add tomatoes and puree geen olives salt, pepper, and fresh chopped basil and linguini noodles. After noodles are soft, add all the seafood and liquid from pot one to pot two . Serve in a sourdough bread bowl. Serves 4 to 6.

Phobia
10-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Let's ask the experts on the subject, the international chili society.

http://www.chilicookoff.com/Event/Event_Rules.asp

Fire Me Boy!
10-17-2007, 07:33 AM
Chioppino (sp). San Francisco seafood stew. It takes a while and is rather expensive, but it presents well and simply kicks ass.

basically the ingredients are as follows, but there are variations. Here is mine.
2 large cans diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato puree
1 large diced onion
4 cloves minced garlic
2 cups white wine
capers
1 cup green olives minced
1 lb king crab legs cut in 2 inch pieces (shell on)
1/2 lb large shrimp (shells on)
1/2 lb scallops
1/2 lb fish cubed in 2 inch cubes (walleye, snapper, cod, or other )
2 lobster tails cut length wise (shell still on)
olive oil
clam juice
linguini noodles
fresh basil
sourdough bread bowls
Place seafood in pot with wine, onion, capers, garlic and olive oil. Bring to a boil and cover. Let simmer for about 20 minutes. In another pot, add tomatoes and puree geen olives salt, pepper, and fresh chopped basil and linguini noodles. After noodles are soft, add all the seafood and liquid from pot one to pot two . Serve in a sourdough bread bowl. Serves 4 to 6.
That sounds bloody expensive for something that doesn't take it up the butt.

BucEyedPea
10-17-2007, 07:33 AM
Fettucine Alfredo and sometimes this same recipe altered more like a Carbonara hybrid with proscuitto* and peas.

*or bacon and sometimes I use shrimp instead
other additions can be prima vera for the straight fettucine recipe. This has to be made with fresh organic cream for the right taste though. Not that chemical supermarket stuff.

BucEyedPea
10-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Two others I make are a filet mignon in red wine sauce and prime rib ( usually Xmas meal) with giant homemade popovers, roasted mixed veggies and sour cream mashed potatoes with fresh chives. Served with a field green salad with mandarin orange slices and Japanese dressing.

Thanks for the crab rangoon recipe SF.

Fire Me Boy!
10-17-2007, 07:36 AM
I also make a mean pasta carbonara.

jidar
10-17-2007, 07:37 AM
I put my dick in a box

Fire Me Boy!
10-17-2007, 07:43 AM
I put my dick in a box
ROFL ROFL ROFL

BucEyedPea
10-17-2007, 07:46 AM

Fried chicken
Mashed taters
Gravy

Well, I get sick to my stomach after eating fried chicken...and then I just wanna go home.

tooge
10-17-2007, 08:25 AM
That sounds bloody expensive for something that doesn't take it up the butt.
Yeah, it is, it is an $100 meal. But, the question was, what to make when you really want to "bring it". To me, that means spare no expense. I could also make some killer BBQ or something, but it just isn't the same.

Simply Red
10-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Yeah, it is, it is an $100 meal. But, the question was, what to make when you really want to "bring it". To me, that means spare no expense. I could also make some killer BBQ or something, but it just isn't the same.
Yeah. Besides that'd work for an occasion.