PDA

View Full Version : Smoothies...

Fire Me Boy!
10-17-2007, 07:44 AM
I'm starting to make smoothies, but I'm struggling... any good recipes out there for smoothies that don't have yogurt in them? Yogurt is nasty, even when you add a bunch of shit to it.

BucEyedPea
10-17-2007, 07:47 AM
I'll have my kid come and post some later when she's home from school. She LOVES them.

Fire Me Boy!
10-17-2007, 07:48 AM
I'll have my kid come and post some later when she's home from school. She LOVES them.
Cool.

How old is she? [/obligatory crude remark]

BucEyedPea
10-17-2007, 07:49 AM

Fire Me Boy!
10-17-2007, 07:49 AM
I read here in your chat log.... [/Chris Hanson]

HonestChieffan
10-17-2007, 07:50 AM
Yea, replace the yogurt with vanilla Ice cream. If you add Malt and Chocolate you have the only smoothie you need.

bkkcoh
10-17-2007, 07:51 AM
I guess I made smoothies prior to them being called smoothies. But I put frozen fruit and milk into a blender and blended until I got the desired thickness. You could put any protien powder or vitamins of whatever you needed to put in there.

Fire Me Boy!
10-17-2007, 07:51 AM
I'm diabetic... not a good idea.

Unless I'm looking for the coma.

Fire Me Boy!
10-17-2007, 07:52 AM
I guess I made smoothies prior to them being called smoothies. But I put frozen fruit and milk into a blender and blended until I got the desired thickness. You could put any protien powder or vitamins of whatever you needed to put in there.
That's pretty much what I figured, but what about fruit combinations? Just curious for what people like.

Is frozen fruit better for this application than fresh?

bkkcoh
10-17-2007, 07:53 AM

It sounds like you may have a hard time because of fruits being high in natural sugars. You may have to do some internet searches and determine what might be the best in this situation.

Do you have to take insulin, pills or both?

bkkcoh
10-17-2007, 07:54 AM
That's pretty much what I figured, but what about fruit combinations? Just curious for what people like.

Is frozen fruit better for this application than fresh?

Frozen is because it will allow it to be more of an icy mixture versus water.

I used frozen peaches. They were pretty good.

I would say to avoid the melons, they appear to be high in water content.

Fire Me Boy!
10-17-2007, 07:55 AM
It sounds like you may have a hard time because of fruits being high in natural sugars. You may have to do some internet searches and determine what might be the best in this situation.

Do you have to take insulin, pills or both?
Natural sugars are OK for me as they process differently than processed sugars.

DBO82
10-17-2007, 08:35 AM
You know how I know your guy?

You like smoothies.

J/k....

StcChief
10-17-2007, 08:51 AM
Frozen is because it will allow it to be more of an icy mixture versus water.

I used frozen peaches. They were pretty good.

I would say to avoid the melons, they appear to be high in water content.
drain your water melon, refill with Vodka.... to kick up your smoothy

ILWarpaint
10-17-2007, 09:12 AM
http://www.rightsizesmoothie.com/

If you are doing it to lose weight, I started this about 10 days ago.

Fire Me Boy!
10-17-2007, 09:33 AM
You know how I know your guy?

You like smoothies.

J/k....
You know how I know your and idiot?

You misspelled "gay" or "ghey"...

:p

DBO82
10-17-2007, 09:37 AM
You know how I know your and idiot?

You misspelled "gay" or "ghey"...

:p

DAMMIT CARL!

DaKCMan AP
10-17-2007, 09:50 AM
I usually get some fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries, bananas, raspberries, whatever) and throw it in the blender with some ice and juice (OJ or other fruit juices).

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Best smoothie website www.I'mtoostupidtomakeasmoothie.com (http://www.I'mtoostupidtomakeasmoothie.com)

Fire Me Boy!
10-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Best smoothie website www.I'mtoostupidtomakeasmoothie.com (http://www.I'mtoostupidtomakeasmoothie.com)
So... why bother posting? If it's so stupid, why did you even bother clicking on the link?

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-17-2007, 11:42 AM
So... why bother posting? If it's so stupid, why did you even bother clicking on the link?

If you had a job like mine you would understand.

Any opportunity I have to be an A-hole makes me feel better.

Don't take it personal.

luv
10-17-2007, 11:48 AM
I tried making a smoothie with some berries and milk. The acidity of the fruit caused the milk to start curdling. I stick with ice and juice when using fruit.

MahiMike
10-17-2007, 11:49 AM

Dude, I'm borderline diabetic myself. My doc says that berries are ok. I buy a big frozen bag at Costco. Usually dump it into oatmeal but smoothies work with this.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2007, 11:50 AM
I usually do use yogurt, but it's not a necessity.

I find that frozen mixed berries from walmart work quite well. I always add a banana as it helps it set up a little more and accents the taste well. Add some skim milk and fire away.

Fire Me Boy!
10-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Dude, I'm borderline diabetic myself. My doc says that berries are ok. I buy a big frozen bag at Costco. Usually dump it into oatmeal but smoothies work with this.
I apparently forgot to quote him, but this is what I was responding to: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4301664&postcount=6

I'm trying to eat more fruit, which is why I'm looking at smoothies.

Silock
10-17-2007, 12:06 PM
What kind of yogurt are you using?

I always use skim milk, protein powder, natural plain yogurt and some vanilla extract as a base. I'll vary it with fresh fruit, or a can of frozen orange juice concentrate. Sometimes I'll use natural peanut butter and some sugar-free chocolate syrup with a bit of banana.

wutamess
10-17-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm starting to make smoothies, but I'm struggling... any good recipes out there for smoothies that don't have yogurt in them? Yogurt is nasty, even when you add a bunch of shit to it.

Quick Trip smoothie making machine is the best way to go.

Fire Me Boy!
10-17-2007, 12:39 PM
What kind of yogurt are you using?

I always use skim milk, protein powder, natural plain yogurt and some vanilla extract as a base. I'll vary it with fresh fruit, or a can of frozen orange juice concentrate. Sometimes I'll use natural peanut butter and some sugar-free chocolate syrup with a bit of banana.
Last night I used plain fat-free yogurt from Whole Foods. But I've never liked yogurt, no matter the brand. Just tastes like sour milk to me.

DenverChief
10-17-2007, 12:40 PM
I just go to Jamba Juice

Chiefs Pantalones
10-17-2007, 01:04 PM
I put bananas, raspberries, watermelon, ice and whey protein powder in a blender and it's tasty. Sometimes I add yogurt, but the ice tops it off.

JohninGpt
10-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Two bananas, 1/2 large papaya, 1/4 cup honey, about 1/2 cup pineapple juice, fill blender to top with ice.
Before blending pour in as much of your favorite rum as will fit. Your friends will never know what hit them.
It also taste good without rum, but where is the fun in that.

NewChief
10-17-2007, 01:10 PM
As Hamas said: put a banana in as it compliments most fruits and also adds quite a bit of substance and texture.

I like using yogurt as well, but if you don't like yogurt... then you don't like it. I also add OJ from time to time if I need a little extra liquid. Strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, coconut, peaches, etc. etc.

I will differ and say that I don't really like using the frozen fruits (even though I know that's the standard thing to do, even most smoothie recipes tell you to use it) from the freezer section. They just don't have as much flavor to me. I do, occasionally, freeze the fruit myself so I can go with less ice or if the fruit is getting over ripe.

Fire Me Boy!
10-17-2007, 03:57 PM
My second try is much better...

Blueberries, a little OJ, a touch of pomegranate extract, Splenda, some grapefruit pectin, some ground flax seed and some skim milk...

No ice. I like my smoothies a little on the thin side.

Fire Me Boy!
10-22-2007, 04:49 PM
More experimentation... oatmeal goes really nicely in a lot of smoothies. I'm drinking a blueberry oatmeal smoothie right now.

Good recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawberry-Oatmeal-Breakfast-Smoothie/Detail.aspx

Fire Me Boy!
10-22-2007, 04:49 PM
More experimentation... oatmeal goes really nicely in a lot of smoothies. I'm drinking a blueberry oatmeal smoothie right now.

Good recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawberry-Oatmeal-Breakfast-Smoothie/Detail.aspx

Makes it very filling and high in fiber.