PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Electrical Wiring Question

ILChief
10-18-2007, 11:15 AM
We purchased a lot of land that we're going to build on next year. It has a pond. The wife wants to put a fountain in the pond. I was wondering what I need to do to run electrical wire from the bank to the middle of the pond floor. I don't want to electrecute myself or all the fish in the pond. Is there a special kind of wire? I assume special connectors. Does it need to be ran in conduit?

Any electrical gurus?

plbrdude
10-18-2007, 11:32 AM
aquire some submergible pump cable and a submergible heat shrink splice kit. can't tell you about conduit. maybe run conduit to edge of pond underground then let cable lay on bottom.

Phobia
10-18-2007, 11:42 AM
I presume it will need to be in conduit unless there's some submersible shielded wire. Talk to the guy at your local electrical supply.

Extra Point
10-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Ask the pump manufacturer. Depending on the HP, you may want to use a 12VDC or 24VDC unit, that's safer for immersion-duty. Just make sure you use a GFI breaker in the circuit.

For all the hog farmers here on the Planet, call 712-255-0882 for a decent aeration system for your lagoon(s). Ask for Don.

Skip Towne
10-18-2007, 11:56 AM
We purchased a lot of land that we're going to build on next year. It has a pond. The wife wants to put a fountain in the pond. I was wondering what I need to do to run electrical wire from the bank to the middle of the pond floor. I don't want to electrecute myself or all the fish in the pond. Is there a special kind of wire? I assume special connectors. Does it need to be ran in conduit?

Any electrical gurus?
How many acres did you buy?

chop
10-18-2007, 12:12 PM
If you do not have experience with electricity, you should really consider hiring someone to do the job for you. If you are careful not to apply power until after the circuit and yourself are protected, you shouldn't get electrocuted.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Ask the pump manufacturer. Depending on the HP, you may want to use a 12VDC or 24VDC unit, that's safer for immersion-duty. Just make sure you use a GFI breaker in the circuit.

For all the hog farmers here on the Planet, call 712-255-0882 for a decent aeration system for your lagoon(s). Ask for Don.

I called but all I got was some woman offering phone sex and asking for a Credit Card number!

ILChief
10-18-2007, 12:27 PM
How many acres did you buy?

The lot is only one acre. the pond is < .5 acre

Extra Point
10-18-2007, 12:28 PM
I called but all I got was some woman offering phone sex and asking for a Credit Card number!

Well, Don's branching out, then.

Iowanian
10-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Solar panel.....

plbrdude
10-18-2007, 04:50 PM
i sell and install submergible well pumps. 12-3 submergible cable and a submergible heat shrink kit will be fine in the water. not thinkin any bottom feeders will chew through the cable insulation but it could be possilble. you can get flex conduit with water tite fittings. pretty muchly, you can do it. just a matter of how much you want to spend.

ILChief
10-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Solar panel.....

I was really considering that. But all the solar fountains I've found look kind of cheap and paltry. I'd like a nice one. You have any suggestions?

Iowanian
10-18-2007, 05:06 PM
There are decent solar panels, that you can hook to a battery, that will work just fine.

I'm working with a guy right now, where we're looking at hanging a bug zapper on the dock of his new pond to feed the fish using a solar panel and battery.

ILChief
10-18-2007, 06:25 PM
There are decent solar panels, that you can hook to a battery, that will work just fine.

I'm working with a guy right now, where we're looking at hanging a bug zapper on the dock of his new pond to feed the fish using a solar panel and battery.

so do i need an actual solar fountain? or can I use a normal fountain and just power it with a solar panel and a battery instead of hooking it into my electrical?

Skip Towne
10-18-2007, 06:36 PM
so do i need an actual solar fountain? or can I use a normal fountain and just power it with a solar panel and a battery instead of hooking it into my electrical?
If you want something really nice go to a statuary company and have them custom make your statue or whatever you want in your fountain.