PDA

View Full Version : Cheeseburgers, Marlboro Lights and stress!

HemiEd
10-20-2007, 07:36 AM
I returned home from the hospital yesterday, after getting 3 stints to open the blood circulation back up to my heart.

It has been a hell of a week. Things got crazy last Friday night at bowling, my upper chest felt like I had swallowed a sock. It felt like a problem in my lungs, since I was having trouble breathing. No matter how many beers I slugged down, it did not improve. The guys all told me to go to the hospital, but nah I would be ok.

Saturday morning at the golf course, everything was fine and normal, had a nice round.

Sunday morning at the golf course, the sock returned, my cart partner asked if I was having a heart attack. I hurried home after golf and watched Chiefs football, no problems.

Monday night, I mowed the lawn, the sock returned. It went away after resting for a few minutes. It is starting to get my attention.

Wednesday morning, I woke up at 5 with the sock, and my ears ringing much louder than normal. After going to work, I decided to follow everyone's advice, and see a doctor.

To make a very long story shorter, they did a stress test and found I was 90% blocked in three, and 70% in another. I now have three tungsten stints, with another one to come in the near future.

Many life changes are needed, this scared the shit out of me!

The advances in medicine are miraculous, they said two years ago I would have had a quadruple bypass.

Phobia
10-20-2007, 07:38 AM
Wow. Glad you're still around. Two years ago you would have had a quadruple bypass but 30 years ago you'd be on a slab.

Smed1065
10-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Wow, sorry to hear this.
Best wishes.

That is what Mopar does for you. :)

Good thing it was light cigs though.

HemiEd
10-20-2007, 07:49 AM
Wow. Glad you're still around. Two years ago you would have had a quadruple bypass but 30 years ago you'd be on a slab.

Thanks Phil.
No question, my Grandfather passed at 70 from heart failure in 1963.
Dad had the quad bypass about 15 years ago.

They showed me some high tech pictures of the arteries, very dramatic and eye opening.

I am not normally a very religious, but the nobody could explain the loud ear ringing, that finally got my attention.

10-20-2007, 07:50 AM
Holy Shit

Glad to hear you're alright, Ed.

Is that it? they put in some stints and patted you on the back and told you to go home?

My Father had 3 heart attacks and 6 bypasses, the last and fatal one in 94, there were no such things as stints back then. it truly is amazing how modern medicine has come.

God bless you Ed.

Simplex3
10-20-2007, 07:57 AM
So we can assume you'll be quitting smoking and watching the diet?

:eek:

DaFace
10-20-2007, 08:08 AM
Good god, man. Chest pain + heart problems in your family = get the hell to a hospital ASAP!

Anyway, glad to hear that you're OK. Take care of yourself.

Smed1065
10-20-2007, 08:10 AM

:eek:

If he is like my uncle, for a year or two anyway.

Stewie
10-20-2007, 08:12 AM
If he is like my uncle, for a year or two anyway.

Exactly. I have a colleague who went through this procedure and followed a diet for a while, but is back to his old ways. Old habits...

HemiEd
10-20-2007, 08:12 AM
Holy Shit

Glad to hear you're alright, Ed.

Is that it? they put in some stints and patted you on the back and told you to go home?

My Father had 3 heart attacks and 6 bypasses, the last and fatal one in 94, there were no such things as stints back then. it truly is amazing how modern medicine has come.

God bless you Ed.

Very sorry to hear about your Dad Bill, they have come a long way. Just recently, my Father had his 5th heart surgery. They have now, finally put in a pacemaker.

I was semi-awake through most of the "intervention" that lasted about 2 1/2 hours. They used some very, very good drugs.
Afterwards, they actually seemed more concerned about the hole they made in my groin, for entry, than the stints afterwards.
Fortunately, I have very low blood pressure, so that made things much better in a lot of areas.

Smed1065
10-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Very sorry to hear about your Dad Bill, they have come a long way. Just recently, my Father had his 5th heart surgery. They have now, finally put in a pacemaker.

I was semi-awake through most of the "intervention" that lasted about 2 1/2 hours. They used some very, very good drugs.
Afterwards, they actually seemed more concerned about the hole they made in my groin, for entry, than the stints afterwards.
Fortunately, I have very low blood pressure, so that made things much better in a lot of areas.

My grandfather had like the 3rd pacemaker ever, first in MO.

He was given like 1 year or less to live and made it for 13.

Microwave ovens sucked in his opinion.

petegz28
10-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Wow man glad to hear you are ok.

10-20-2007, 08:21 AM

Hey, when your family has a history of heart disease you have to take extra precautions. I smoked for 20 years and quit at the ripe old age of 35, that was 7 years ago. one of the hardest things I've ever done.

My old man used to smoke chesterfields :eek:

His cardiologist told him that he would rather him gain 200 lb's than smoke one cigarette.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear it wasn't too invasive and that you're doing well.

Bugeater
10-20-2007, 08:27 AM

Yikes! They went through your groin to get to your heart?

Al Bundy
10-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Hemi good to see you got that checked out before it got to be too serious. Like others have stated I hope your dite and other habits will change.

Smed1065
10-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Glad you are still around, Hemis take a lot of air intake.

FAX
I'm very happy to know that you're okay, Mr. HemiEd. You should feel better now that you have some circulation. I trust you'll put this opportunity to good use in terms of lifestyle changes.

Just remember, if you don't have your health, all you have are medical bills.

FAX

That's how they do the angio thingy to check if your arteries are clogged. it's better than getting your chest cut open and pulled apart and then stapled back together.

Bugeater
10-20-2007, 08:35 AM
That's how they do the angio thingy to check if your arteries are clogged. it's better than getting your chest cut open and pulled apart and then stapled back together.
Better? In whose opinion?

Bwana
10-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Damn Ed, I'm glad you came out of it OK bud.

HemiEd
10-20-2007, 08:37 AM

:eek: I smoked for 42 years, 1/2 pack a day. I don't plan on ever smoking another one. The diet change will have a lot of positive effects, sorely needed.

That really amazed me, especially watching some of it. It makes sense though, a major artery with a pretty straight shot to the heart. The before picture, they showed me, the artery closed down from about a half inch, to the size of a string.

Bugeater
10-20-2007, 08:49 AM
I smoked for 42 years, 1/2 pack a day. I don't plan on ever smoking another one. The diet change will have a lot of positive effects, sorely needed.

That really amazed me, especially watching some of it. It makes sense though, a major artery with a pretty straight shot to the heart. The before picture, they showed me, the artery closed down from about a half inch, to the size of a string.
Huh, that's kind of scary considering this thread's title is pretty much my lifestyle, except I smoke 2 packs/day. Anyway...I'm glad you made through OK, hopefully you have the willpower that I lack to make the lifestyle change.

cdcox
10-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Glad to hear you came out of this okay.

the Talking Can
10-20-2007, 08:53 AM
so what have we learned kids?

drinking beer, bowling, and golfing won't make a heart attack go away...

glad you're ok hemi....

HemiEd
10-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Huh, that's kind of scary considering this thread's title is pretty much my lifestyle, except I smoke 2 packs/day. Anyway...I'm glad you made through OK, hopefully you have the willpower that I lack to make the lifestyle change.

Well people preached and preached to me. I have always thought smoking was about the most stupid thing you could do, but hey, Dean Martin looked cool with a cigarette.

Laying there, totally helpless, hoping like hell everyone working on you, is having a good day, kind of got to me. I like being in control, but I had zero control.

The expense has not even sunk in yet, I may have the big one when I see the final bill. Just a WAG, 100k.
The first months prescriptions, would pay for another nice set of irons.

10-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Well people preached and preached to me. I have always thought smoking was about the most stupid thing you could do, but hey, Dean Martin looked cool with a cigarette.

Laying there, totally helpless, hoping like hell everyone working on you, is having a good day, kind of got to me. I like being in control, but I had zero control.

The expense has not even sunk in yet, I may have the big one when I see the final bill. Just a WAG, 100k.
I had to go to the hospital last year to get a bunch of tests done on me because of these funky headaches I had. it was mind boggling what the costs are if you don't have insurance. luckily with my insurance I can never pay more than $1,500 out of pocket in one year for anything.

ferrarispider95
10-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Glad you are alright, I am stubborn about going to the doctors too, but don't mess around with your ticker.

Frazod
10-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Damn. :eek:

I'm glad you're OK, Ed.

I also assume that the next time I come over to watch a game, you won't be smoking. Like watching the Chiefs alone isn't bad enough for your heart.

OnTheWarpath15
10-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Good to hear you came out OK, Ed.

My FIL just had this done for the second time in 6 weeks this past week.

Just out of curiosity, what drugs are you on?

Plavix? Cumadin?

If my FIL gets blocked up for a 3rd time, they are talking about putting in stints with the drugs already in them.

Best of luck to you. Take it easy and do not ignore even the slightest signs.

Phobia
10-20-2007, 09:52 AM

Clearly a female doctor.

KChiefs1
10-20-2007, 10:02 AM
was your cholestoral high?

StcChief
10-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Wow. HE Glad your ok.... health wakeup calls are a bitch

RJ
10-20-2007, 10:14 AM
so what have we learned kids?

drinking beer, bowling, and golfing won't make a heart attack go away...

glad you're ok hemi....

You left out "going to work".

milkman
10-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Glad you got checked out.

Shit, I've had ringing in my ears for most of my life.

NUMBER7
10-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Glad you heeded your friends advice...I hear everyday from the docs I work with about those that do not. Take care and follow their advice.

FAX
10-20-2007, 10:22 AM

I've had that problem as well, Mr. milkman. At least until I was 18. Then my mom let me take off the jester hat.

FAX

HemiEd
10-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Damn. :eek:

I'm glad you're OK, Ed.

I also assume that the next time I come over to watch a game, you won't be smoking. Like watching the Chiefs alone isn't bad enough for your heart.

If anyone ever catches me with a cig again, I hope they just shoot my ass. :D

I was thinking earlier, maybe it was a very good thing the Chiefs won last Sunday. :eek:

HemiEd
10-20-2007, 10:30 AM

Me too, there is a name for it. I was around jets in the Navy and shot a few boxes of shells in a 22magnum, without ear protection. Had it ever since.

But this was way different, this was like a shrill amplification, maybe 3 times the normal volume. It disappeared just as quick as it came, but it did get my attention.

HemiEd
10-20-2007, 10:31 AM
was your cholestoral high?

I didn't think so, 164. But the Doctor now wants it below 70. :(

Fairplay
10-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Thank god you finally went went to the doctor Hemi.

We can't lose you around this place. Take care of yourself man.

milkman
10-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Me too, there is a name for it. I was around jets in the Navy and shot a few boxes of shells in a 22magnum, without ear protection. Had it ever since.

But this was way different, this was like a shrill amplification, maybe 3 times the normal volume. It disappeared just as quick as it came, but it did get my attention.

I can't even guess how or why I have this ringing.

I've had it since I was about 5 or 6, and there isn't any loud noices that I can think of that would have started it.

My hearing has been something less than spectacular all of my life.

HemiEd
10-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Good to hear you came out OK, Ed.

My FIL just had this done for the second time in 6 weeks this past week.

Just out of curiosity, what drugs are you on?

Plavix? Cumadin?

If my FIL gets blocked up for a 3rd time, they are talking about putting in stints with the drugs already in them.

Best of luck to you. Take it easy and do not ignore even the slightest signs.

Was the second trip planned? I know it doesn't sound that way, but I have to go back for the last one. The Doctor told me that we have choices on it, and we would discuss it in his office next week.

Plavix, Aspirin, Isosorbide, Metoprolol, and Vytorin. The next to last one is a generic I think.

teedubya
10-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Glad to hear you are doing okay. Us dudes are friggin stubborn. Go to the Hospital? **** Off! I aint goin!

So glad you are good to go. Good luck on the life changes. You get a second chance. Embrace it.

Frazod
10-20-2007, 10:42 AM
If anyone ever catches me with a cig again, I hope they just shoot my ass. :D

I was thinking earlier, maybe it was a very good thing the Chiefs won last Sunday. :eek:

If I'd been there, I'd have dragged your stubborn ass to the hospital.

OnTheWarpath15
10-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Was the second trip planned? I know it doesn't sound that way, but I have to go back for the last one. The Doctor told me that we have choices on it, and we would discuss it in his office next week.

Plavix, Aspirin, Isosorbide, Metoprolol, and Vytorin. The next to last one is a generic I think.

No, it wasn't planned, but the doctor did say that he wouldn't be surprised to see him back in a month or so.

Sure enough, right on que, he went back in.

They've since sent him home with a monitor that records his vitals and sends them to the office when it picks up irregularities. He'll start cardiac rehab next week, which basically consists of walking on a treadmill. (he's almost 80)

He had a double bypass back in 1982 (his 2nd at the time), and had been great since. Then all of a sudden, his pulse was dropping below 50. He seems to be doing really well right now, but he's running out of options. Next up is the drug releasing stint, and if that doesn't work, they may have no choice but to put in a pacemaker.

BigMeatballDave
10-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Clearly a female doctor.LMAO

BigMeatballDave
10-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Glad to hear you are OK. This shit sounds scary as hell...

JohninGpt
10-20-2007, 11:12 AM
There is only one thing worse than living in the hospital...

Glad your home and doing well, take care of yourself.

HemiEd
10-20-2007, 11:40 AM
No, it wasn't planned, but the doctor did say that he wouldn't be surprised to see him back in a month or so.

Sure enough, right on que, he went back in.

They've since sent him home with a monitor that records his vitals and sends them to the office when it picks up irregularities. He'll start cardiac rehab next week, which basically consists of walking on a treadmill. (he's almost 80)

He had a double bypass back in 1982 (his 2nd at the time), and had been great since. Then all of a sudden, his pulse was dropping below 50. He seems to be doing really well right now, but he's running out of options. Next up is the drug releasing stint, and if that doesn't work, they may have no choice but to put in a pacemaker.

Wow, sounds a lot like what my Dad has been through. He had major pulse fluxuations, they finally put a pacemaker in recently. I never understood their hesitation, he is 84.

I just talked to him, he has the chain saw fired up and is outside trimming trees.

Extra Point
10-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Glad you got the new hardware, and you're still around.

Rain Man
10-20-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm glad that you're okay, HemiEd. You're one of the top people on my list to eventually ask for money from.

Buehler445
10-20-2007, 02:45 PM
HOLY COW. I'm glad you're OK, Ed. That shit is 13 different kinds of scary.

Get lots of rest and do exactly what the Drs. tell you to. Leave those goddamned cigarettes alone.

I feel for you buddy. You have my prayers.

HemiEd
10-20-2007, 04:38 PM
HOLY COW. I'm glad you're OK, Ed. That shit is 13 different kinds of scary.

Get lots of rest and do exactly what the Drs. tell you to. Leave those goddamned cigarettes alone.

I feel for you buddy. You have my prayers.

Many thanks to you and everbody else. I feel better now than I have in years. :thumb:

HemiEd
10-20-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm glad that you're okay, HemiEd. You're one of the top people on my list to eventually ask for money from.
ROFL

StcChief
10-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Many thanks to you and everbody else. I feel better now than I have in years. :thumb:
Glad it worked out.

unclogging the pipes does that I guess. :thumb:

ChiefsFire
10-20-2007, 05:31 PM
I've got a used defibulator for sale...

Any takers?

BigOlChiefsfan
10-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Congrats on getting in there and getting it taken care of. Some interesting 'FYI' at this site:

http://www.realage.com/

KcMizzou
10-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Damn, thank God I'm not stressed.

Really glad to hear you're alright, Ed. Thank care, man.

HemiEd
10-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Damn, thank God I'm not stressed.

Really glad to hear you're alright, Ed. Thank care, man.

Thanks! I am at work today, and glad to be here.

irishjayhawk
10-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks Phil.
No question, my Grandfather passed at 70 from heart failure in 1963.
Dad had the quad bypass about 15 years ago.

They showed me some high tech pictures of the arteries, very dramatic and eye opening.

I am not normally a very religious, but the nobody could explain the loud ear ringing, that finally got my attention.

My ears go crazy when I have something wrong. Course, I have an immune system disorder, so that might be why.

Good to hear your all right, though.

Rausch
10-22-2007, 11:45 AM
I've got a used defibulator for sale...

Any takers?

Save it.

Just in case we make the playoffs...

JohninGpt
10-22-2007, 12:01 PM
My ears go crazy when I have something wrong. Course, I have an immune system disorder, so that might be why.

Good to hear your all right, though.
Sent you PM

Inspector
10-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Good luck.

Oh, and there was a guy on Troost who was looking for spare cigarettes. In case you have any left.....

Yellowbutter72
10-22-2007, 12:43 PM

Well, if you didn't have the prescriptions then you wouldn't have to worry about another nice set of irons. You can always buy irons, gees, what are credit cards for? I'm glad you came out of everything smiling. Sometimes it takes something like this to open our eyes and not think that we know it all or that it won't ever happen to us.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Glad to hear that you are OK, Ed. Take care of yourself, there are probably a lot of people out there that enjoy having you around :thumb:

HemiEd
10-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Well, if you didn't have the prescriptions then you wouldn't have to worry about another nice set of irons. You can always buy irons, gees, what are credit cards for? I'm glad you came out of everything smiling. Sometimes it takes something like this to open our eyes and not think that we know it all or that it won't ever happen to us.

Agreed, and fortunately I already bought that new set of irons this summer.:D

Frosty
10-22-2007, 01:26 PM
You might find this site of interest: Heart Scan Blog (http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/)

Dr. Davis' "Track Your Plaque" program is supposed to work pretty well for reducing arterial plaque.

irishjayhawk
10-22-2007, 02:18 PM
I can't even guess how or why I have this ringing.

I've had it since I was about 5 or 6, and there isn't any loud noices that I can think of that would have started it.

My hearing has been something less than spectacular all of my life.

You checked into AIED or Meniere's Disease?

I have both (well they're essentially the same thing but AIED is minus the vertigo.).

Lzen
10-22-2007, 02:24 PM

That's probably from all those years of banging your head against the wall after Chiefs games. ;)

Glad you're okay, Ed. Take care of your health. It's all you got.

Chief, Marlboro
11-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Marlboro Lights? You ****ing pussy.

HemiEd
11-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Heh they aren't really light. Odd this thread should get bumped, I go in tomorrow for the last one. :(

Yellowbutter72
11-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Heh they aren't really light. Odd this thread should get bumped, I go in tomorrow for the last one. :(
I hope everything goes well tomorrow. And I hope you never have to have this again! Good luck!!

Rain Man
11-05-2007, 07:01 PM
It's kind of cruel for a poster named Yellowbutter to post on a thread about a guy with heart problems.

11-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Good luck tomorrow, Ed. God bless you.

WilliamTheIrish
11-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Ed, good luck tomorrow. Stay off the cigs. It'll do you a world of great.

Buehler445
11-05-2007, 08:54 PM

This man speaks the truth. Good luck buddy.

HemiEd
12-04-2007, 10:01 AM

No problem with the smokes but here is the latest.

I had my 1st official rehab last night. It was 1 1/2 hours of supervised exercise wearing a heart monitor , it went very well. I really enjoyed it and I am excited about the potential results. However, I am fairly certain the Olympics are not in my future. I will be doing this three times a week, M,W and Friday.

Then we went to 1 1/2 hour nutrition meeting put on by an educated dietician. She had personally analyzed my eating habits and made a profile including a goal sheet, and portion sheet, broken down by category. OMG! Sodium is everywhere! It is trying to kill me! This is so complicated! She wants me down to 180lbs. So that is 55lbs that has to go.
I was so depressed, I have to exist on 6 ounces of meat a day! Are you kidding me, 6 ounces??!! That is about 1/5th of my normal intake!! The good meat is the tuff stuff, oh crap. I hate round steak. It looks like a lot more fish is in my future because I am already sick of chicken and turkey.

I get 1500mg of sodium a day. That is a lot, 1500 should be fine , cool . Oh wait, I just checked my favorite cereal that I feel so good about eating without sugar, WHEAT CHEX. I have been eating Wheat Chex for years. It has always made me feel better about those triple Wendy's for lunch, because I had a high fiber healthy cereal for breakfast!
Lets see, a serving size is 1/2 cup and it is 380 grams of sodium. 1/2 CUP!!?? That is barely a taste, hardly covers the bottom of the bowl! I eat a cup and a half, that is 1140 grams of Sodium! So much for Wheat Chex, the Honey Bunches of Oats has almost no Sodium!

I made my own lunch and brought to work. After throwing out most of the lunchmeat due to high sodium, I settled on this Ham that is very thinly sliced , that actually looks more like a photograph of ham . The neat part, I get three slices per serving! It is only 350 grams of sodium! The bread is fat free and 1/3 less calories! (Any idiot can tell the bread is sliced much thinner and the loaf is much smaller!) Woo hoo, can't wait until lunch, I get an apple with it!

Bob Dole
12-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Then we went to 1 1/2 hour nutrition meeting put on by an educated dietician. She had personally analyzed my eating habits and made a profile including a goal sheet, and portion sheet, broken down by category.

You should try being married to an R.D..

On second thought, no you shouldn't. It sucks.

StcChief
12-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Well HemiEd it's better than the alternative....

do well drop the lbs. Live for the weekend. :thumb:

HemiEd
12-04-2007, 11:04 AM
You should try being married to an R.D..

On second thought, no you shouldn't. It sucks.
Registered Dietician? I can only imagine, but it would have some benifits. That stuff is way more complicated than just making a turd.

Well HemiEd it's better than the alternative....

do well drop the lbs. Live for the weekend. :thumb:

You are right, it has gotten my attention. Thanks! Beer is a treat now instead of a staple.

chagrin
12-04-2007, 11:53 AM
No problem with the smokes but here is the latest.

I had my 1st official rehab last night. It was 1 1/2 hours of supervised exercise wearing a heart monitor , it went very well. I really enjoyed it and I am excited about the potential results. However, I am fairly certain the Olympics are not in my future. I will be doing this three times a week, M,W and Friday.

Then we went to 1 1/2 hour nutrition meeting put on by an educated dietician. She had personally analyzed my eating habits and made a profile including a goal sheet, and portion sheet, broken down by category. OMG! Sodium is everywhere! It is trying to kill me! This is so complicated! She wants me down to 180lbs. So that is 55lbs that has to go.
I was so depressed, I have to exist on 6 ounces of meat a day! Are you kidding me, 6 ounces??!! That is about 1/5th of my normal intake!! The good meat is the tuff stuff, oh crap. I hate round steak. It looks like a lot more fish is in my future because I am already sick of chicken and turkey.

I get 1500mg of sodium a day. That is a lot, 1500 should be fine , cool . Oh wait, I just checked my favorite cereal that I feel so good about eating without sugar, WHEAT CHEX. I have been eating Wheat Chex for years. It has always made me feel better about those triple Wendy's for lunch, because I had a high fiber healthy cereal for breakfast!
Lets see, a serving size is 1/2 cup and it is 380 grams of sodium. 1/2 CUP!!?? That is barely a taste, hardly covers the bottom of the bowl! I eat a cup and a half, that is 1140 grams of Sodium! So much for Wheat Chex, the Honey Bunches of Oats has almost no Sodium!

I made my own lunch and brought to work. After throwing out most of the lunchmeat due to high sodium, I settled on this Ham that is very thinly sliced , that actually looks more like a photograph of ham . The neat part, I get three slices per serving! It is only 350 grams of sodium! The bread is fat free and 1/3 less calories! (Any idiot can tell the bread is sliced much thinner and the loaf is much smaller!) Woo hoo, can't wait until lunch, I get an apple with it!

Continued well wishes and thoughts to you, dude :)

BigOlChiefsfan
12-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Ed, it's not fun...but it does beat certain alternatives. Here are a few things you might want to try:

Put a can of kippered herring or sardines in a bowl. Add a tablespoon or 2 of dijon mustard and mash it into the fish with a fork. Smush it all up good, and use this as a 'spread' on ry crisp or ak mak. Yeah, it sounds icky. It ain't half bad. After a few weeks of less meat, a fish spread on ry crisp seems like a pretty good idea.

Put 1/2 cup of quick oats in a big bowl. Add a few tablespoons of oat bran and wheat bran (I buy this stuff at Whole Paycheck and mix them 50/50, keep 'em in a sugar jar on the table) Add a handful of your favorite dried fruit - dried cranberries and blueberries from Costco are my choice. No salt to speak of but you can add some splenda or Agave nectar if you like (Agave nectar = the stuff they ferment to make tequila. It's 'sweet' but doesn't hit you like sugars do).
If you have an old coffee grinder, use it to grind up a tablespoon or 2 of flax seed, add this (fresh flax meal is best) Pour boiling water over this, stir well and let it sit for a minute or 2. It's pretty filling, good for your heart and your dietician will be proud of you. Your LDL will drop.

Eat half an avocado every couple of days, split it with your wife or sig/other. They are high calorie but full of good fats and potassium, it's ok. You can put it in a salad, or eat it as is...or use it like 'mayo' on a sandwich. We need SOME fat, the trick is to get premium fats, stuff that's good for you anyway.

Buy 3 lbs of almonds from Costco ($10) Count out 24 of them - see how much of your hand they cover. Now, every day grab enough to cover your hand about like that again. 24 almonds = 1 ounce, and 1 ounce of almonds will do your heart good and leave you feeling satisfied as a snack. I eat mine about 6 at a time, think of them as 'heart pills' and 6 will seem like a mo' bettah number. By the way, you're adding 'good fats' and magnesium to your system. Mag. helps balance the sodium. Sodium/magnesium/calcium/pottassium are your electrolytes and it's important to keep them 'balanced'. So don't just cut the sodium, talk to your dietician about balancing the whole load.

Buy a pound or 2 of brazil nuts. Eat 2 brazil nuts a day - again, think of this as 'pills' instead of a snack. You just got all the selenium you need for the day. A powerful antioxident, it'll combine with the other stuff you're taking and help 'carry out the trash'.

Buy some fish oil caps, once again Costco or Sam's club rules. Take 2 in the morning, 2 at night. If you get 'fish burp', buy the coated caps or just keep the regular kind in the freezer. If you do nothing else, take a multi vitamin and fish oil.

Buy some Coenzyme Q-10 (CoQ-10) take one a day. Maybe you never heard of it, but it'll help your heart (lowers your blood pressure a bit, too).

Get some Vitamin D gel caps. Not hard capsules (D2), for vitamin D you want oil based D3. I take 1000 to 2000 mg a day. They're finding this is a lot more important than they thought.

Eat 'better' and work out - burn more calories. It won't be fast, necessarily, but it does work. If you want a good book or two to read/learn from, take a peek at 'The Testosterone Diet' by the guys at Men's Health (Lou Shuler author) and The Omnivore's Dilema, Michael Pollan & Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes.

BIG_DADDY
12-04-2007, 02:32 PM
How old are you dude?

Otter
12-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Hang in there HemiEd, bad habits are hard to give up but considering the alternative...

HemiEd
12-04-2007, 02:38 PM
How old are you dude?

Me? 57, but I don't act that old. :)

BIG_DADDY
12-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Me? 57, but I don't act that old. :)

Hang tough. At least you're still here to turn things around.

HemiEd
12-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Continued well wishes and thoughts to you, dude :)

Eat 'better' and work out - burn more calories. .

Hang in there HemiEd, bad habits are hard to give up but considering the alternative...

Hang tough. At least you're still here to turn things around.

Thanks guys, I was just was trying to give a funny update here. I feel like I got a second chance to overcome my ignorance, due to the miracles of modern medicine. I am actually very excited about the future right now! :thumb:

go bo
12-04-2007, 03:08 PM
hang in there, ed...

my cousin who was around 65 at the time had some trouble with his coronary arteries...

got one stint and went back to his active lifestyle (he's never been fat and he exercises every day that he can)...

not a lick of trouble since...

Buehler445
12-05-2007, 02:05 AM
Keep up the good work big man! Its good to hear you aren't having problems with the smokes. Those damn things kill a lot of people.

HemiEd
12-05-2007, 04:30 AM
Keep up the good work big man! Its good to hear you aren't having problems with the smokes. Those damn things kill a lot of people.

Thanks bud! I have been trying to quit for years. Since it is one of the things I can control, and it is so ****ing stupid, I seem to be handling it. My bowling night is the biggest temptation. After the first of January, smoking won't be allowed in there anyway.

ChiefaRoo
12-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks bud! I have been trying to quit for years. Since it is one of the things I can control, and it is so ****ing stupid, I seem to be handling it. My bowling night is the biggest temptation. After the first of January, smoking won't be allowed in there anyway.

Glad you updated the group. Don't quit doing the right things. You will get used to the lifestyle changes and will feel and function much better over time.