PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Missouri is a national-title contender

|Zach|
10-20-2007, 10:00 PM
COLUMBIA | The Big 12’s best football team, the one-loss BCS squad with the best defeat, played its best ball in several decades on Saturday and issued a strong message that it wants to be in the who’s-the-nation’s-best debate.

If you don’t know, now you know: Gary Pinkel’s Missouri Tigers are pretty damn good, top-10 good, BCS-bowl good.

Just ask Mike Leach and his 22nd-ranked Texas Tech Red Raiders. The Tigers stomped Tech 41-10 at Faurot Field in a game that was absolutely as one-sided as the final score indicates.

Anyone worried the Tigers might be hung over from their disappointing, giveaway loss to the Oklahoma Sooners last weekend had their concerns alleviated early on Saturday. Missouri’s defense, an outfit scheduled for a stern test against a Tech offense that came in averaging 50 points, opened the scoring by picking off a Graham Harrell pass and dashing 38 yards for six points on Tech’s first possession.

The romp was on.

And when it was over, after the Tigers’ D had produced four interceptions and its normally-pass-happy O had grinded out 212 rushing yards, I began to ponder the real possibility that the Tigers are national-title contenders — at least until further notice.

Seriously, why not the Tigers?

No one doubts their offense. Chase Daniel and Mizzou’s receivers can move the football on any team in the country. The Tigers, even with Tony Temple sidelined, are starting to demonstrate a running game. Jeremy Maclin gives the Tigers a special-teams playmaker.

Nope. The questions about Mizzou centered on the defense. Could the Tigers stop a legitimate offense? Well, Leach and the Red Raiders know how to score points. On Saturday, they pretty much refused to punt the football, going for it seven times on fourth down.

Missouri never buckled. They harassed Harrell, sacking him three times, forcing him into several terrible throws. The Tigers punished Tech’s receivers. They eliminated Tech’s running game, holding the Red Raiders to minus-9 yards on the ground.

On a day when Missouri scored 41 points and rushed for three touchdowns, Chase Daniel couldn’t contain his defensive excitement.

“How ‘bout the defense?” Daniel remarked when a reporter asked about Missouri’s running game.

Moments later Daniel added: “If the defense plays this well every single week, the sky is the limit.”

No doubt. Pinkel was equally impressed. He said he expected the Tigers’ athletic and inexperienced defense to improve over the course of the season. But I’m not sure he expected the Tigers’ defensive unit to ever outperform his offense.

“I have to say it was a pretty darn good performance on defense,” Pinkel glowed.

Yeah, the Tigers are all grown up now. Last week’s showdown with Oklahoma helped the Tigers realize they can be a great team. Pinkel said he told his team not to take any satisfaction in the close loss to the Sooners (41-31).

“If you want to get to the top of the mountain, you can’t think that way,” Pinkel told his team.

The warning registered.

“We should’ve won that football game,” Daniel said. “(The OU game) just validated where we’re at.”

Nah, this Tech victory validated Missouri’s climb to elite status. It legitimized what Missouri demonstrated last week. It’s easy to get up for Oklahoma. It’s difficult to play at a high-high level on back-to-back weekends. The Sooners looked terrible against Iowa State on Saturday.

The Tigers should run their record to 9-1 over the next three weeks — Iowa State, at Colorado and Texas A&M. By then, Mizzou should be in the top 10. If the Tigers beat Kansas State, Kansas and Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game, they’d be 12-1 and in the national-title hunt.

No way I saw this coming when they squeaked by Illinois. This is a tremendous story, a tale loyal Missouri football fans deserve.

Mecca
10-20-2007, 10:07 PM
It's a nice article with some points and all but voters won't put 1 loss Missouri above several teams just due to name and history...

Mr. Kotter
10-20-2007, 10:08 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

HolmeZz
10-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Missouri's problem is the lack of good wins. Illinois isn't bad, but they're not even a Top 25 team and the Tigers have nothing after that.

Thig Lyfe
10-20-2007, 10:09 PM
KU #1

Mecca
Even if Missouri runs the table.....do you think they'd even be considered to be put above teams like LSU and USC?

Mecca
KU #1

And that's their problem too.....There are going to be 1 loss teams ahead of them.

Mr. Kotter
10-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Missouri's problem is the lack of good wins. Illinois isn't bad, but they're not even a Top 25 team and the Tigers have nothing after that.

Thank you, for adding some levity....to the thread. :)

SPchief
LMAO

HolmeZz
Even if Missouri runs the table.....do you think they'd even be considered to be put above teams like LSU and USC?

USC is not in the discussion. They lost at home to an awful Stanford team. They're not going in ahead of any real undefeated team.

teedubya
is KU in the hunt if they go undefeated? I bet they wouldn't be.

Mr. Kotter
10-20-2007, 10:11 PM

Or if KU runs the table, in fairness....the answer is, a definitive "No." :shake:

Mr. Kotter
is KU in the hunt if they go undefeated? I bet they wouldn't be.

Nope.

But neither will the Tiggers. :shake:

tk13
I think they would've had to go undefeated. I think they're gonna be kicking themselves for that dropped INT late in the Oklahoma game... that could've changed the momentum and kept Mizzou in the lead. If they went undefeated there's no doubt they should play for the title. Still a long way to go though, they do have a very legit chance at playing in a BCS bowl.

Mecca
USC is not in the discussion. They lost at home to an awful Stanford team. They're not going in ahead of any real undefeated team.

They'd still be ahead of Missouri...

KcMizzou
No way I saw this coming when they squeaked by Illinois. This is a tremendous story, a tale loyal Missouri football fans deserve.Preach it!

It's a good time to be a Tigger!

HolmeZz
10-20-2007, 10:13 PM

You're right. I was mixing up Missouri and Kansas for a sec.

Missouri is probably not in any legitimate national championship discussion at this point. USC shouldn't be either.

KcMizzou
I don't have any illusions about Mizzou winning it all...

But what they're doing is better than I've ever seen...

BigMeatballDave
At this point, I don't think ANYONE has shown to be worthy of #1. I am an OSU fan and they nearly choked today. I think this seasons national champ will have 1 loss.

|Zach|
10-20-2007, 10:14 PM
At this point, I don't think ANYONE has shown to be worthy of #1. I am an OSU fan and they nearly choked today. I think this seasons national champ will have 1 loss.
Top 10, Top 5 teams getting picked off left and right.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
10-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Arizona State baby!

tk13
10-20-2007, 10:20 PM
At this point I don't think USC has any wins that are much more impressive than anything Mizzou's done. They both whipped Nebraska. USC just had a really bad home loss and Mizzou's loss was on the road against a top 10 team.

Of course, USC is gonna have a chance to look really good with these three tough road games coming up... but that's not gonna be easy at all.

KcMizzou
10-20-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm just tickled shitless that this is even a debatable topic.

Wow.

Who'd a thunk it?

BigMeatballDave
Arizona State baby!Horseface Jr. is coming to town. Tempe will burn in HELL!

beavis
Let me know as soon as KU plays someone not from the California Penal League.

I think A&M beats them next week. They won't be undefeated when they get to Mizzou.

Mecca
10-20-2007, 10:25 PM
I agree we've been so blah so far this year but name recognition tends to matter.....but of course we lose any of these games we're screwed, we win them we're good..

I did mention running the table and having 1 loss not having 3 or 4.

KcMizzou
10-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Horseface Jr. is coming to town. Tempe will burn in HELL!
That's what happens when you dance with the spawn of the Devil. :mad:

KcMizzou
10-20-2007, 10:27 PM
I agree we've been so blah so far this year but name recognition tends to matter.....but of course we lose any of these games we're screwed, we win them we're good..

I did mention running the table and having 1 loss not having 3 or 4.You're right... and it's ****ed up. Having a "big name" gets you extra credit.

dirk digler
10-20-2007, 10:32 PM
LSU just pulled the game out of its ass

Spicy McHaggis
10-20-2007, 10:42 PM
This Mizzou team is a good team. A really good team, actually. I, like Whitlock, did not see this coming after the Illini game. Congrats to MU from a Kansas fan on a great season so far.

Basileus777
10-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Mizzou isn't a national title contender unless they win out and teams continue to lose unexpected games at the pace they are right now. But by that standard there are about 15 national title contenders....

KcMizzou
10-20-2007, 10:48 PM
This Mizzou team is a good team. A really good team, actually. I, like Whitlock, did not see this coming after the Illini game. Congrats to MU from a Kansas fan on a great season so far.Thanks man... that's really cool of you.

Grats on KU too... I'm still trying to figure out where your team came from. :shake:

You were supposed to SUCK! :)

Mosbonian
10-20-2007, 10:52 PM

Opinion.....

mmaddog

KcMizzou
10-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Opinion.....

mmaddog
*******But, it's USC!

Mecca
10-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Ok question.....if Missouri has 1 loss and USC has 1 loss do you really think on any voters board Missouri would be ahead of SC?

SC could possibly be ahead of Missouri with 2 losses, considering the schedule they play compared to Missouri's.

KcMizzou
10-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Ok question.....if Missouri has 1 loss and USC has 1 loss do you really think on any voters board Missouri would be ahead of SC?
No.

Good thing you chose a team with a big name.

irishjayhawk
10-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Thanks man... that's really cool of you.

Grats on KU too... I'm still trying to figure out where your team came from. :shake:

You were supposed to SUCK! :)

Under the radar is best.

In all honesty, our ugly road win was nice but I think you'll leapfrog us. We may move up one due to the losses ahead, but I think you'll definitely jump.

Basileus777
10-20-2007, 10:58 PM
Opinion.....

mmaddog

The Pac-10 may have taken some blows lately, but its still vastly superior to the Big-12. USC has a tougher OOC schedule, plays in a tougher conference, and has the name recognition and prestige that virtually guarantees it would go to the national championship over Missouri if both have one loss.

KcMizzou
10-20-2007, 11:01 PM
The Pac-10 may have taken some blows lately, but its still vastly superior to the Big-12. USC has a tougher OOC schedule, plays in a tougher conference, and has the name recognition and prestige that virtually guarantees it would go to the national championship over Missouri if both have one loss.What's ****ed up, is the fact that I don't believe Mizzou is better than USC... and that still annoys me.

cdcox
10-20-2007, 11:01 PM

SC could possibly be ahead of Missouri with 2 losses, considering the schedule they play compared to Missouri's.

Going in to this week, the computer polls ranked Mizzou higher than USC. I think they are much more objective, since the rules by which the computers rank teams are set before the season starts and don't rely on any data other than events that have transpired on the football field this season.

Mosbonian
10-20-2007, 11:03 PM

If Mizzou's one loss was to an Oklahoma team in Norman....and USC's loss was to a Stanford team at home, I could see the East Coast media wanting to piss in the corn flakes of the West Coast and put the Tigers above USC.

If the West Coast media was actually honest with itself and voted with a brain, USC would be rated much lower. The lost at home to a bad Stanford team and barely beat Washington and Arizona in their last 3 games. Mizzou, on the other hand beat 2 of 3 ranked teams and the margin of victory was monumental.

I will say that USC has a tougher road to hoe in the last 5 games, thus semi-validating your last sentence.

mmaddog

Mecca
10-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Well USC's next 3 games would shoot them far ahead of Mizzou provided they win them...

KcMizzou
10-20-2007, 11:06 PM
Well USC's next 3 games would shoot them far ahead of Mizzou provided they win them...Sucks being compared to a team like Mizzou...

You feel dirty.. dontcha. :D

KChiefs1
one of the best Whitlock columns I've ever read:clap:

Mosbonian
The Pac-10 may have taken some blows lately, but its still vastly superior to the Big-12. USC has a tougher OOC schedule, plays in a tougher conference, and has the name recognition and prestige that virtually guarantees it would go to the national championship over Missouri if both have one loss.

Vastly superior....hardly. Tougher schedule.....maybe, maybe not.

I will give you the "name recognition" argument, because it is sadly true. And let's face it, what truly rules the Bowl pics, outside of the National Championship game, is prestige and money.

mmaddog

cdcox
10-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Well USC's next 3 games would shoot them far ahead of Mizzou provided they win them...

True.

Mosbonian
10-20-2007, 11:08 PM

I would agree....but lose one of them and it would be interesting to see where they fall to.

mmaddog

Mecca
10-20-2007, 11:09 PM
As long as Dirty Sanchez keeps playin.....

Basileus777
10-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Teams left that have a legit shot at the BCS championship game:

ACC
Boston College
Virginia Tech

Big Ten
Ohio State

Big East
West Virginia

Big 12
Oklahoma
Kansas (who really knows but they are undefeated)

SEC
LSU

PAC 10
Arizona State
USC
Oregon

I'm not sold on Virginia Tech as a legit contendor, but they'll be in the top 10 so who knows.

Kinda funny that there is only one SEC team. Florida could have an outside chance but with 2 losses I just don't see it.

KChiefs1
10-20-2007, 11:18 PM
I'll be interested to see what the BCS looks like today.

Thig Lyfe
10-20-2007, 11:19 PM

MU lost to OU.

SC lost to Stanford.

Mosbonian
10-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Teams left that have a legit shot at the BCS championship game:

PAC 10
Arizona State
USC
Oregon

Schedules for the above teams:

AZ State:

Sat, Oct 27 (10) California 10:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 3 at (7) Oregon 3:30 pm --
Sat, Nov 10 at UCLA TBA --
Thu, Nov 22 (13) USC 8:00 pm --
Sat, Dec 1 Arizona 8:00 pm --

USC

Sat, Oct 27 at (7) Oregon 3:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 3 Oregon State 8:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 10 at (10) California 8:00 pm --
Thu, Nov 22 at (12) Arizona State 8:00 pm --
Sat, Dec 1 UCLA 4:30 pm --

Oregon

Sat, Oct 27 (13) USC 3:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 3 (12) Arizona State 3:30 pm --
Thu, Nov 15 at Arizona 8:00 pm --
Sat, Nov 24 at UCLA TBA --
Sat, Dec 1 Oregon State 4:30 pm --

Looking at the above schedules I highly doubt that either of the 3 remains in the hunt unless one team wins out. And I doubt that will happen.

mmaddog

Basileus777
10-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Looking at the above schedules I highly doubt that either of the 3 remains in the hunt unless one team wins out. And I doubt that will happen.

mmaddog

True. But as of right now if any of those teams wins out they have an excellent chance of going to the national championship game.

Mosbonian
10-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Interesting article in Yahoo....and relevant to the discussions:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Atsi2hyiXshRua.OJhIdGoscvrYF?slug=tenthingstowatchthisweek&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Ten things to watch this weekend

By Matt Hayes - SportingNews

6. On the road

Here were are on Oct. 19, and for the first time this season, unbeaten Kansas will leave the state to play a game.

And guess what? Tomorrow's game at Colorado will be the Jayhawks' toughest game until the season finale against Missouri at Arrowhead Stadium.

I know it's hard to believe, but we've officially found a team with a weaker schedule than Ohio State. Here's something to chew on: what if KU, Boston College and Ohio State all go unbeaten.

Imagine those three arguing schedules.

10. It's all about the numbers

Texas Tech at Missouri. A couple of thoughts: a combined 100 passes attempted; more than 1,000 yards of total offense; a four-hour, overtime game.

And just think: these are two teams Oklahoma will use in defense of its schedule when the BCS numbers start to crunch late next month.
(he missed this one by a mile)

mmaddog

JohnnyV13
10-21-2007, 12:53 AM
Remember...for Mizzou to win out, they will likely need to beat Oklahoma in a rematch in the Big 12 championship game. Winning vs. Oklahoma could do wonders to legitimize Mizzou.

Pitt Gorilla
10-21-2007, 12:57 AM
MU has some solid wins (Tech and Illinois) and a win that once looked solid (NU).