PDA

View Full Version : Sagarin computer rankings: KU #2

alnorth
10-21-2007, 08:04 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt07.htm?loc=interstitialskip

I figured this was worth a chuckle or two, and this is the reason why Kansas will probably be ranked higher in the BCS than most people think. For whatever reason the computers love the Jayhawks.

I like Kansas and this is a fun year and all, but not even I believe these comical results. Most KU fans only think they are somewhere in the top 6-10, at absolute best right now.

kstater
10-21-2007, 08:07 AM
LMAO

Schedule Strength 117
Vs Top 30 1-0

Lzen
10-21-2007, 08:08 AM
Oh boy.

Haters in 3....2....1.......

Dave Lane
10-21-2007, 08:08 AM
I they win out and beat Missouri I might agree. I think as much as it as it hurts me to say mizzou looks good.

pikesome
10-21-2007, 08:18 AM
I'm having far more fun watching CF this year with the only team I have any connection to (KU) playing well. But #2, that's a bit high IMHO. I guess it just speaks to the weirdness of College Football this year.

Braincase
10-21-2007, 08:38 AM
LMAO

Schedule Strength 117
Vs Top 30 1-0

And who did KU beat in the Top 30? I'm going to guess it was in that team's backyard, too.

KU doesn't have a great schedule, but we're just following the blueprint created by the greatest coach in the history of Kansas State football.

Braincase
10-21-2007, 08:38 AM
Oh boy.

Haters in 3....2....1.......

You were one post too late.

KC Jones
10-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Honestly, I can't say I think we're as good as our current ranking. We're a good team, but not that good. We're gaming the ranking system exactly the way Snyder did to build his program. KSU fans have absolutely no leg to stand on complaining about this.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Honestly, I can't say I think we're as good as our current ranking. We're a good team, but not that good. We're gaming the ranking system exactly the way Snyder did to build his program. KSU fans have absolutely no leg to stand on complaining about this.

are you dense enough that you don't realize the only reason we do it to you is because of how you treated us back in the day? we all know it's the same principal, but you dipshits liked crowing about it then...

alnorth
10-21-2007, 09:07 AM
are you dense enough that you don't realize the only reason we do it to you is because of how you treated us back in the day? we all know it's the same principal, but you dipshits liked crowing about it then...

I fully understand that, too. There's a KSU fan at work who gives me hell about KU's schedule, basically as payback for Kansas fans constantly doing the same thing in reverse back in the 90's.

I made the same jokes about K-State's schedule back then, but at this point I think I'd rather have the undefeated team vulnerable to schedule criticism than what I had to listen to for years before.

KC Jones
10-21-2007, 09:07 AM

I didn't do it, and I do not believe that is the only reason some KSU fans are doing it now. Thanks for the underhanded insults and generalizations though. Stay classy brother.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-21-2007, 09:32 AM
I didn't do it, and I do not believe that is the only reason some KSU fans are doing it now. Thanks for the underhanded insults and generalizations though. Stay classy brother.

:rolleyes:

classy...that's rich.

kind of like KU fans complaining about the gay jokes on the heels of the farmer/sheep ****er joke they just told.

KChiefs1
10-21-2007, 09:38 AM
give KU & Mangino credit....I hope you guys are undefeated when you meet up with Mizzou in Arrowhead...that would be one great atmosphere.

Mr. Laz
10-21-2007, 09:39 AM
we aren't fast enough on offense to be rated that high.

but fug it ..... enjoy it while it lasts, there have been lots of teams that were rated too high.

best thing is that all these ratings etc will improve our recruiting which will really help the program.

BigVE
10-21-2007, 09:46 AM
When I read the thread title I figured this HAD to be pointing to KU basketball, not football. I'm a KU fan but I think that reality will be sinking in sooner than later for this team. BUT, if we still go 10-2 it will be a very successful season...and who knows, maybe they can do better than that.

kstater
10-21-2007, 09:52 AM
My post wasn't directed at KU's schedule. I give the Jayhawks credit for being undefeated. My post was laughing at how that computer ranking put someone with that schedule at number two. While the Hawks are a good team, I don't think they should be ranked #2 on computers or in the polls.

Sure-Oz
10-21-2007, 10:03 AM
I think the jayhawks are a top 25 team being undefeated etc, but as high as they are ranked, i don't think so. Maybe #24 like a texas tech is more realistic imo. They played a #24 ranked K-State team and besides that who else? Does that mean Rutgers is awesome or Stanford cause they beat good teams, just cause Colorado beat OU, probably not? This year it seems even the good teams are getting knocked off by teams playing their SB against them. Props for KU for being undefeated but I want to see how well they do against the tigers to see if they are worth the ranking they are getting.

BigVE
10-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Props for KU for being undefeated but I want to see how well they do against the tigers to see if they are worth the ranking they are getting.

If THAT is not a homer statement I don't know what is. Missouri is a decent team but they are NOT the measuring stick against which teams are good or not. What if KU squeaks out a win against missouri but loses to sucky Nebraska? Then where are they in your book?

KC Jones
10-21-2007, 10:10 AM
I think the jayhawks are a top 25 team being undefeated etc, but as high as they are ranked, i don't think so. Maybe #24 like a texas tech is more realistic imo. They played a #24 ranked K-State team and besides that who else? Does that mean Rutgers is awesome or Stanford cause they beat good teams, just cause Colorado beat OU, probably not? This year it seems even the good teams are getting knocked off by teams playing their SB against them. Props for KU for being undefeated but I want to see how well they do against the tigers to see if they are worth the ranking they are getting.

Agreed. I honestly think the Tigers are the better team, but we'll see what happens in the border war game.

NCAA football is far more balanced than is used to be. The difference between programs isn't anywhere near the gap it used to be. Even really good programs will lose games to "lesser" teams. I'm just ecstatic to see KU roll off of their non-conference wins and get some conference wins on the road against decent teams. KSU and CU are solid teams and those wins count big. Hell, I'm just happy to get to watch them on TV.

CoMoChief
10-21-2007, 10:14 AM
MU is going to beat the shit out of KU.

Basileus777
10-21-2007, 10:20 AM
UConn at 16 is a joke.

gblowfish
10-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Further proof that computers have artificial intelligence.

kstater
10-21-2007, 10:49 AM
I went back and read the fine print. In the Saragin ratings that the BCS utilized(read: the only number that matters according to BCS), KU is 4th. BC is one in that number.

alnorth
10-21-2007, 10:55 AM
I went back and read the fine print. In the Saragin ratings that the BCS utilized(read: the only number that matters according to BCS), KU is 4th. BC is one in that number.

Yeah, the Sagarin rankings is some kind of weighted average of two different methods, The Elo Chess calculation, and something called the predictor.

The Elo Chess method is one of the computers the BCS uses, and it only looks at wins and losses for the team and the team's opponents, with a huge emphasis on your own record instead of the schedule strength. The other half of the Sagarin rankings looks at margin of victory. KU is #4 on the Elo Chess method the BCS uses, #2 on the margin of victory calculation, and #2 in the combined Sagarin score.

Many good 1-loss teams also did well on the margin of victory method along with KU, but since the other half of the score (Elo Chess method) severely punishes you for having a loss, it brings their Sagarin below the Jayhawks.

teedubya
10-21-2007, 11:06 AM
considering that the #2 team has lost each of the last 3-4 weeks. It must be a ploy to get us owned.

There is NO way that we should be #2. My thinking was around #9. Mizzou should be 10-11, IMO.

teedubya
10-21-2007, 11:07 AM

Like the last couple years?

Bob Dole
10-21-2007, 11:14 AM
KU at 10 and Mizzou at 13 in the new USA Today poll.

alnorth
10-21-2007, 11:16 AM

Beat me to it.

Coaches Poll (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex)

OSU 58 1st place votes, BC is #2 and gets the other 2. Oklahoma #4, KU 10, Florida 11, South Florida tumbled all the way down to 12, Misery 13, Kentucky falls to 15, Texas 16.

teedubya
10-21-2007, 11:24 AM

Im cool with that. Although, MU handled their opponent more dominantly than the Jayhawks. I would have kept them closer in rankings this week.

But, this is less stressful being 10, than being #2.

Next up, Texas A&M. ESPN2 next Saturday. woot.

Brock
10-21-2007, 11:24 AM

Right, unless they don't.

OmahaChief
10-21-2007, 11:30 AM
:mizzou: will beat :KU: by at least a couple of scores.

alnorth
10-21-2007, 11:36 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

AP Results out. (Not used in BCS, only for the AP championship)

1. Ohio State (57) 8-0 1,612
2. Boston College (2) 7-0 1,494
3. LSU (5) 7-1 1,479
4. Oklahoma 7-1 1,421
5. Oregon 6-1 1,355
6. West Virginia 6-1 1,228
7. Arizona State (1) 7-0 1,156
8. Virginia Tech 6-1 1,111
9. USC 6-1 1,107
9. Florida 5-2 1,107
11. South Florida 6-1 980
12. Kansas 7-0 960
13. Missouri 6-1 925
14. Kentucky 6-2 719
15. South Carolina 6-2 649
16. Hawaii 7-0 573
17. Texas 5-2 497
18. California 5-2 444
19. Michigan 6-2 401
20. Georgia 5-2 394
21. Virginia 7-1 315
22. Alabama 6-2 263
23. Auburn 5-3 248
24. Penn State 6-2 209
25. Rutgers 5-2 174

BWillie
10-21-2007, 11:50 AM
So if KU is 8-0 and beats A&M on the road next week, why wouldn't we be deserving of the #3-#4 spot?

Sure-Oz
10-21-2007, 11:56 AM
So if KU is 8-0 and beats A&M on the road next week, why wouldn't we be deserving of the #3-#4 spot?
If the #2-11 teams lose i'll give you that.

Bob Dole
10-21-2007, 11:57 AM

Because A&M blows?

KChiefs1
10-21-2007, 11:58 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

AP Results out. (Not used in BCS, only for the AP championship)

12. Kansas 7-0 960
13. Missouri 6-1 925

so the AP voters are saying that KU's 19-14 win over CU was more impressive than MU's 41-10 win over #22 TT?:hmmm:

cdcox
10-21-2007, 11:58 AM

Because KU sucks, silly.

I never liked Saragin ratings. Massey ratings are better, but haven't been posted yet.

cdcox
10-21-2007, 12:01 PM
so the AP voters are saying that KU's 19-14 win over CU was more impressive than MU's 41-10 win over #22 TT?:hmmm:

That's the funny thing about human polls. That is exactly what a comparison of last week's ratings show, but I doubt a single AP voter thought about it like that.

Sure-Oz
10-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Why didn't K-State get this kind of love when they had their Bill Snyder schedules?

BWillie
10-21-2007, 12:03 PM
If the #2-11 teams lose i'll give you that.

No way. If KU wins next week, they deserve to be a top 5 team in the country. For the record, I think the streak ends next week. But if they do win, why wouldn't they deserve to be ranked ahead of those one loss teams? It's not about who's better, it's about what each team has done, and KU hasn't lost yet.

It's not like they play in the WAC or something, this is the big 12. This is division one football! Go play intramurals brotha!

cdcox
10-21-2007, 12:06 PM
It's not like they play in the WAC or something, this is the big 12. This is division one football! Go play intramurals brotha!

Most teams in the WAC have played a tougher schedule, so KU's record might be more impressive if they were in the WAC.

Sure-Oz
10-21-2007, 12:07 PM
No way. If KU wins next week, they deserve to be a top 5 team in the country. For the record, I think the streak ends next week. But if they do win, why wouldn't they deserve to be ranked ahead of those one loss teams? It's not about who's better, it's about what each team has done, and KU hasn't lost yet.

Well at the rate the polls are going for KU, i could see that happening, since Mizzou's convincing win over TT didn't put them ahead of KU after KU won 19-14 vs colorado, i could see that happening.

BWillie
10-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Well at the rate the polls are going for KU, i could see that happening, since Mizzou's convincing win over TT didn't put them ahead of KU after KU won 19-14 vs colorado, i could see that happening.

USC lost to freaking STANFORD. And have looked like crap in a few other games. Stanford is no better than CU or KSU.

Sure-Oz
10-21-2007, 12:30 PM
USC lost to freaking STANFORD. And have looked like crap in a few other games. Stanford is no better than CU or KSU.
Does that mean Stanford is awesome and worthy of being considered top 25 material? Alot of teams have lost to other teams like that, doesn't mean they are great! Any given day any team can win is what this college season has proven, so if KU continues to beat teams that beat a top 25 team once and those teams have records such as 4-3 etc that means they are worth a superior ranking?

ROYC75
10-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Awh, screw the polls and the rankings, it's complete BS anyways......Rock Chalk Jayhawks, just keep winning, it cures all ......... :KU:

Bob Dole
10-21-2007, 12:34 PM
No way. If KU wins next week, they deserve to be a top 5 team in the country.

You're a loon.

LOCOChief
10-21-2007, 12:35 PM
MO is going to destroy KU, then some people will realize (the few that buy into BS ranking) it was all for not.

kcchiefsus
10-21-2007, 12:36 PM

Kansas will not beat A&M on the road so you won't even have to worry about that. The rest of the season Kansas is going to lose @ A&M, @ Oklahoma State, and against Missouri.

The fact that anybody actually thinks Kansas is a good team is a joke. Half the teams in the country would be undefeated with Kansas' schedule.

Kansas does not have the offense to match up with Missouri on November 24th. Chase Daniel and the Tigers are going to rip these frauds apart.

ROYC75
10-21-2007, 12:39 PM
MO is going to destroy KU, then some people will realize (the few that buy into BS ranking) it was all for not.

Where I see that it is very possible MU can win that game, I clearly see that you are a fool for believing that the Tiggers will destroy KU. Keep drinking the Fool Aid.........

It will be a good game, and I do think KU has a very good chance at winning that game..... Time will tell. But for now, we have other fish to take care of before we get to you turds.

|Zach|
10-21-2007, 12:40 PM
We beat K-State! We beat K-State!

Hahahaha.

BWillie
10-21-2007, 12:40 PM
We beat K-State! We beat K-State!

Hahahaha.

I'm going to the Arrowhead game with a big sign that says "Chase Daniel likes Rainbows".

ROYC75
10-21-2007, 12:42 PM
Ya gotta love the Border War games...... Brings out the greatest and the dumbest fans on both sides at the same time ....... :D

kcchiefsus
10-21-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm going to the Arrowhead game with a big sign that says "Chase Daniel likes Rainbows".

His passes are going to be like rainbows and the ball will find the pot of gold in the endzone.

Daniel will destroy the gayhawks.

|Zach|
10-21-2007, 12:45 PM
They play sound ball and basically wait for the other team to screw up. They screw up less. Seriously, that is exactly what they are. Credit coaching. Credit guts on the part of the players, chip on the shoulder, whatever. It's gotten them a couple wins against average to below average teams on the road, and cupcakes at home. They've done exactly what they're capable of doing. Nobody would watch KU and think "wow", like they do watching MU's offense, for example.

Lzen
10-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Half the teams in the country would be undefeated with Kansas' schedule.

This part right here renders your opinions useless. OU cannot say that they would be undefeated. After all, they played one team on KU's schedule and lost to them. Plus, Texas lost to KSU, a team KU beat on the road. Lastly, it's not just winning against bad teams in the non con. It's blowing out all of those teams. Half the teams in the country would be lucky to go undefeated against that schedule. Perhaps a quarter of them is more realistic. Still, very few of them would have crushed all the non cons and Baylor like KU did. Take off your MU homer glasses for a minute and maybe you could see reality.

redbrian
10-21-2007, 12:56 PM
What we learned this week about the Tigers, they can shut down a very good O, they do not have to rely on the air attack they can run the ball.

They destroyed a very good team

What we learned about KU, they barley beat a very bad team, KU has to prove that they can dominate a upper tier program, so far they have eaten nothing but marshmallows, a diet like that will have an ugly result at Arrowhead, I see birdy puke all over the field when the Tigers hit them in the gut on the opening kickoff and don’t let up.

Skip Towne
10-21-2007, 01:08 PM
He likes to eat boogers too.

Sure-Oz
10-21-2007, 01:10 PM
MU needs to beat Colorado since they beat OU, which makes them an excellent team and worthy of a high ranking in make believe,that right there may put them above Kansas, its the only way......

|Zach|
10-21-2007, 01:11 PM
MU needs to beat Colorado since they beat OU, which makes them an excellent team and worthy of a high ranking in make believe,that right there may put them above Kansas, its the only way......
ROFL

Brock
10-21-2007, 01:13 PM
MU's a good team, but Jesus, some of these Mizzou homers are hilarious, it's the same thing every year.

KcMizzou
10-21-2007, 01:22 PM
Ya gotta love the Border War games...... Brings out the greatest and the dumbest fans on both sides at the same time ....... :DAint it the truth. LMAO

KC_Connection
10-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Seems to me like there are a lot of jealous MU fans on these boards.

beer bacon
10-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Seems to me like there are a lot of jealous MU fans on these boards.

More like disgusted. KU's schedule this season is pathetic.

KC_Connection
10-21-2007, 03:19 PM
More like disgusted. KU's schedule this season is pathetic.
7-0.

beer bacon
10-21-2007, 03:23 PM
7-0.

Everyone knows KU is 7-0. You still aren't getting any respect. Your toughest game until Arrowhead was the Colorado game. Impressive.

It will be nice to see how KU does next season when they play Texas, OU, and TT. Don't you play South Florida as well?

Anyong Bluth
10-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Everyone knows KU is 7-0. You still aren't getting any respect. Your toughest game until Arrowhead was the Colorado game. Impressive.

It will be nice to see how KU does next season when they play Texas, OU, and TT. Don't you play South Florida as well?

If they're getting no respect then why are they rated 10?

beer bacon
10-21-2007, 03:26 PM

Might as well them give their time in the Sun. The other shoe is going to drop soon anyways.

ImuMamalukabubuday
10-21-2007, 03:26 PM

They are actually getting quite a bit of respect...just not from jealous MU haters who are still upset about us smoking them 3 of the last 4 matchups. Being ranked in the top 10 is a sign of respect.

KC_Connection
10-21-2007, 03:47 PM

They don't need respect from jealous MU fans. I'm happy with the #10 ranking.

Lzen
10-21-2007, 08:51 PM

I think what he mean is they won't get MU fans' respect.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

dtebbe
10-21-2007, 08:54 PM
NO DISASSEMBLE SAGARIN!
http://www.btinternet.com/~reg.joy/images/Robots/johne5.jpg

DT

http://home.earthlink.net/~dtebbe/pix/bobdole.jpg

Brock
10-21-2007, 09:01 PM
I think what he mean is they won't get MU fans' respect.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

That's sort of like worrying about what the Jets fans think of the Chiefs.

Sure-Oz
10-21-2007, 09:36 PM
They are actually getting quite a bit of respect...just not from jealous MU haters who are still upset about us smoking them 3 of the last 4 matchups. Being ranked in the top 10 is a sign of respect.
Big deal, you beat MU 3/4 better hope KU is ready for their biggest opponent of the season at arrowhead. I respect cupcakes too, they are great for a sugar rush.

baitism
10-21-2007, 09:44 PM
While I don't think it will be a blowout. MU will win the game. Maybe something like 35-21.

Imon Yourside
10-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Tiger fans=Donkey fans, maybe separated at birth?

Skip Towne
10-21-2007, 09:57 PM
This KU-MU developing situation reminds me of a similar situation in 1988. OU had the best basketball team they have ever had. They went something like 32-3 during the regular season while beating KU three times. Both made the Dance and both began to win their games. They both won their way into the Final Four along with Arizona and Duke. Both survived and met for the NC. OU thought they had a cinch and rightly so. But sports don"t always produce what is expected. That's why they are so popular. KU beat OU in that game 82-78 to win the NC. OU never recovered. And this all happened about 10 miles from Arrowhead. Just thought you'd like to know that story.

Skip Towne
10-21-2007, 11:00 PM
This KU-MU developing situation reminds me of a similar situation in 1988. OU had the best basketball team they have ever had. They went something like 32-3 during the regular season while beating KU three times. Both made the Dance and both began to win their games. They both won their way into the Final Four along with Arizona and Duke. Both survived and met for the NC. OU thought they had a cinch and rightly so. But sports don"t always produce what is expected. That's why they are so popular. KU beat OU in that game 82-78 to win the NC. OU never recovered. And this all happened about 10 miles from Arrowhead. Just thought you'd like to know that story.