PDA

View Full Version : Telling stats

KCJohnny
10-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Going into yesterday's game, the Raiders were giving up an NFL worst 5.6 ypc in rushing defense. LJ managed just 4.7 on 24 totes.

Oakland was ranked 26th in total defense yielding 357 YPG. We got 290.

I am thrilled about the resurgent KC defense, but this O is just plain awful. How many teams averaging 14.6 PPG and 294 YPG make the playoffs?

I lay most of this at the feet of horrid OL play, but I may be teetering on my support of Damon Huard. The way I see it, Huard gives KC the best game managment skills but little explosion. Croyle gives the team increased vertical capability but will inevitably make mistakes. That's a wash IMO. This D can keep the Chiefs in games where Croyle turns the ball over. Croyle may be better at big plays.

As bad as our running attack is (its bad), Larry Johnson is ranked #15 in the NFL and only Willie Parker has more runs of 20+ yards.

Duane Bowe is averaging 86% of his receptions resulting in a 1st down; only Chad Johnson ranks higher.

Last telling stat: For all the appearances of dink & dunk, Huard is ranked #11 in the NFL in passing yards, and has 20 completions of 20+ yards (that's tied for 6th in NFL and more than P. Manning and Ben Roethlisberger). His yards-per-attempt (6.8) is nearly even with Favre (6.9) and only Kitna, McNabb and Harrington have been sacked more.

So Huard is actually making chicken salad out of chicken poop.

StcChief
10-22-2007, 11:29 AM
will see where Huard stands on 11/25 after GB/Donxs
and @Indy.

The Franchise
10-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Until we tank....Croyle won't start.

talastan
10-22-2007, 11:32 AM
So after the Indy game then?

MOhillbilly
10-22-2007, 11:33 AM
being ranked 29th in 3rd down % made on D is the only stat that matters.

KCJohnny
10-22-2007, 11:35 AM
So after the Indy game then?

The way I see it, we get Ws against GB and Denver. If we can get Indy into an 'ugly' Hermyball contest, we have a shot. Ty Law obviously has Peyton's #. The real test will be scoring at Indy. If Solari can't work in 7-step drops and get Bowe 7+ touches a game, it will be very hard to score 20 on Indy which is what will probably be required.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Can Brodie take the pounding the Huard takes? No I don't mean from Hootie. Huard looks like he has done a dozen or so turns in a cement mixer

Chief Henry
10-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Good observations KCJ.

Huard can't thro the deep ball. Sundays intercepion was a prime examble of that IMO.
We can't stretch the field with huard as our QB.

Croyle has a Cannon. I would love to see him throw some Post patterns to Bowe off Play action.

KCJohnny
10-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Can Brodie take the pounding the Huard takes? No I don't mean from Hootie. Huard looks like he has done a dozen or so turns in a cement mixer

I think he's running on pure guts. He's obviously sore/injured. Think about it. Only 3 QBs in the NFL have been sacked more. The way this OL is playing, we'll be activating a QB off the taxi squad by December. They're going to get all our QBs killed.

KCJohnny
10-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Good observations KCJ.

Huard can't thro the deep ball. Sundays intercepion was a prime examble of that IMO.
We can't stretch the field with huard as our QB.

Croyle has a Cannon. I would love to see him throw some Post patterns to Bowe off Play action.

Yeah, Huard had the one deep pic, but he more than made up for it with the 58 yarder to Bowe after evading the rush. That was really gutsy.

But I think Croyle can make the same play and maybe see down the field better... not sure. The local sports radio shows are all saying that Herm has to take the 7-step drops (deep passing routes) out of the playbook because the right side of the OL just collapses and Huard gets crushed.

And there is something really, really wrong with our rushing attack when we face an opponent yielding nearly 6 yards a tote and can't even break 5. Although LJ did look like he was running with a bit more conviction this week. That TD was all LJ.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Huard reminds me of Green when he spins out of the grasp of the defense. That is where the comparison ends

ROYC75
10-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Problem I see with Croyle starting is the OL. He will get killed, waiting too long with the ball on the long attempts, our line can not hold off the pressure long enough for him to feel good at letting the ball go. After all, with a cannon arm, he can sling it farther......

Can throw the shorter passes ? Yes ..... will he throw it away like Huard will ? No, He is young and thinks he can make every throw...... see preseason ?

I've said it all along, play him, let him learn, we are not going anywhere this year with either of them running QB.

Hammock Parties
10-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Last telling stat: For all the appearances of dink & dunk, Huard is ranked #11 in the NFL in passing yards, and has 20 completions of 20+ yards (that's tied for 6th in NFL and more than P. Manning and Ben Roethlisberger). His yards-per-attempt (6.8) is nearly even with Favre (6.9) and only Kitna, McNabb and Harrington have been sacked more.

So Huard is actually making chicken salad out of chicken poop.

Yep. YPA needs to be about a yard higher, but it will get there by season's end if we get Kennison back.

Molitoth
Problem I see with Croyle starting is the OL. He will get killed, waiting too long with the ball on the long attempts, our line can not hold off the pressure long enough for him to feel good at letting the ball go. After all, with a cannon arm, he can sling it farther......

Can throw the shorter passes ? Yes ..... will he throw it away like Huard will ? No, He is young and thinks he can make every throw...... see preseason ?

I've said it all along, play him, let him learn, we are not going anywhere this year with either of them running QB.

The thing about Croyle is that he can scramble, so he shouldn't get killed back there like Huard.

Hootie
If we stay within 7 against Indy I'll be shocked and pleased.

As for LJ, if he starts going, our offense will start going.

KCJohnny
10-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Yep. YPA needs to be about a yard higher, but it will get there by season's end if we get Kennison back.

Hammys are hard to come back from - they heal very slow. Webb/Parker need to step up. It might be DEC before EK returns. With a healthy EK, this receiving corps is deadly. Still haven't seen Sippio. I'd love to see him play in the NFL.

Without a servicable OL, however, we'll see more 3-5 step drops, and even the quick release from the shotgun.

There's speculation about Boomer playing more conventional FB, too. Let's face it; the rest of the peices are there, but without an OL it just won't get done.

KCJohnny
10-22-2007, 06:37 PM
If we stay within 7 against Indy I'll be shocked and pleased.

As for LJ, if he starts going, our offense will start going.

We almost stayed with them last year. Then it got away from us because certain stubborn, dumb people decided running LJ into the middle of 9 man fronts all night was going to work.

We can play with Indy with this defense.