PDA

View Full Version : Shooting in Raider Parking Lot (gasp)

eff the donkeys
10-22-2007, 05:21 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_7250019?source=rss&nclick_check=1

Union City teen held in shooting after Raiders game
Bay City News Service
Article Launched: 10/22/2007 01:43:13 PM PDT

A 19-year-old Union City man is in custody after a shooting in the McAfee Coliseum parking lot following the Oakland Raiders' loss Sunday to the Kansas City Chiefs, according to the Alameda County Sheriff's Office.

The teen was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and weapons violations, said sheriff's office Sgt. Scott Dudek, an investigator in the case. The incident will be submitted to the Alameda County District Attorney's Office Tuesday, he added.

The shooting occurred in parking lot D around 4:35 p.m. after the game and left one man with "non-life-threatening injuries," according to Dudek.

Several people came forward and cooperated with authorities following the shooting, and officers found the handgun believed to have been used in the shooting, Dudek said.

Dudek said the shooting is still under investigation.

The Alameda County Sheriff's Office splits security duties during Raiders games with the Oakland Police Department, according to Dudek.

"We plan for (all) the fans to be checked before they go into the coliseum," Dudek said. "Unfortunately sometimes, incidents of weapons do occur. We will be looking into, this week, whether further precautions will be needed" at future games.

Copyright © 2007 by Bay City News, Inc. - republication, re-transmission or reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Third Eye
10-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Somewhat irrelevant, but I can't help but wonder if he shot a chiefs fan or raiders fan.

DaFace
10-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Sad deal, even for the Raiders. I fail to see how increasing stadium security would have made any difference in this incident.

HemiEd
10-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Somewhat irrelevant, but I can't help but wonder if he shot a chiefs fan or raiders fan.

I remember seeing a few red jerseys in the stands during the game telecast yesterday. I thought at the time, I hope they have a safe experience.

Valiant
10-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Well if it was a Chiefs fan he shot they are smart by not saying it.. That would hurt them in attendence, which they are just now turning around..

JohninGpt
10-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Sad deal, even for the Raiders. I fail to see how increasing stadium security would have made any difference in this incident.
Right, the parking lot is a big place and security can't see everything, if they could a lot more people would be in trouble.
If a tailgater can hide from security long enough to pull a bong, he can hide long enough to pull a trigger.

Mojo Rising
10-22-2007, 06:07 PM
It was between 2 Raider fans.

http://www.sfgate.com/flat/archive/2007/10/22/chronicle/archive/2007/10/22/MNT1SU52D.html

A young man is in custody after another man was shot in the leg and groin Sunday afternoon in "D" section of the McAfee Coliseum parking lot following the Oakland Raiders game, police said.

The shooting around 4:30 p.m. on the northeast side of the McAfee Coliseum parking lot escalated from a "non-football related argument," said Alameda County Sheriff Dept. Sgt. J.D. Nelson. The victim, whose name was not released, is being treated at Highland Hospital, he added.

The Raiders lost the afternoon game to the Kansas City Chiefs, 12-10.

"It was not a Raiders-Chiefs fight or anything like that," Nelson said. "After the game, right around 4:30 p.m. there was an argument in parking lot ... that escalated into a physical confrontation, then escalated into one guy getting a gun and shooting the other one."

There were several people involved in the verbal altercation, he said, but only the two men appear to be part of the shooting.

Just before the shots were fired, several people told a nearby Sheriff's deputy and lieutenant that the suspect - who Nelson described as a man between 18- and 24-years-old - was getting a gun.

"They went to contact him and he took off running, so there was a foot chase in the parking lot," he said. "They chased him around, and chased him around, then the lieutenant tackled him to the ground."

The chase took less than a minute, according to Nelson. At that point, he added, the officers did not know that a man had been shot.

The victim was taken to the hospital with either one or two gunshot wounds, according to police.

During the subsequent investigation, officers recovered what they believe is the suspect's gun. Investigators said they have no reason to believe the gun was taken into the game.

Nelson would not release any information about the nature of the argument, but said it did not appear as if the victim and suspect knew each other prior to the incident.

Police patrols for Coliseum events are split between Oakland Police and the Sheriff's Department. The Sheriff's Department is responsible for the portion of the parking lot where the shooting occurred, Nelson said.

Raiders officials said the incident is in the hands of Sheriff's investigators but that they do not see any reason to review safety procedures inside the Coliseum given that the shooting occurred outside.

"We're aware of the incident in the D lot parking lot (Sunday) afternoon," said Raiders attorney Jeff Birren. "Our commitment has never been stronger to provide our fans with a ... family-friendly environment so they may enjoy their Sundays with us. There's no indication that the suspect even attended the game, and, according to the Alameda County Sheriff's Office, the argument was unrelated to the football game."

chief52
10-22-2007, 06:10 PM
I remember seeing a few red jerseys in the stands during the game telecast yesterday. I thought at the time, I hope they have a safe experience.

I have been to quite a few KC games at the Coliseum and can not for the life of me imagine why anyone would wear Red to the game. You are just asking for a terrible experience. It is actually not all that bad inside...well, in the season ticket areas anyway. But is is just not a place to wear red, especially a kid. I saw one kid who had terror in his eyes. I thought to myself, damn, what were you thinking putting Chief stuff on a kid and bringing him to the Coliseum???

kcxiv
10-22-2007, 06:12 PM
I wouldnt take a kid to a Raider game at all. Not until he was about 13 years old at least.

tk13
10-22-2007, 06:14 PM
I wouldnt take a kid to a Raider game at all. Not until he was about 130 years old at least.

Fixed your post.

chief52
10-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Shooting not a Raider/Chief thing, possible gang or street related. What a pit.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/10/22/MNT1SU52D.DTL&tsp=1

"It was not a Raiders-Chiefs fight or anything like that," Nelson said. "After the game, right around 4:30 p.m. there was an argument in parking lot ... that escalated into a physical confrontation, then escalated into one guy getting a gun and shooting the other one."

He said the two men apparently did not know each other. Dudek, one of the investigators on the case, said the brawl may have been gang- or street-related.

There were several people involved in the verbal altercation, he said, but only the two men appear to be part of the shooting.

Several witnesses pointed out the gunman to officers, Nelson said. "They went to contact him and he took off running, so there was a foot chase in the parking lot," he said. "They chased him around, and chased him around, then the lieutenant tackled him to the ground."

During the subsequent investigation, officers recovered what they believe is the suspect's gun. Investigators do not believe the gun was taken into the game.

BigVE
10-22-2007, 06:22 PM
For me a bigger headline would have been that there were NO shootings in the Raider's parking lot yesterday.
Low class losers all the way.

Bwana
10-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Noooooooo! Not in Oakland! HUGE surprise here.