PDA

View Full Version : The Right side of the O-line

Frankie
10-23-2007, 11:45 AM
The line as a whole is playing awfully. That's a gived. But I think everybody agrees that the Right side is the less talented side. Often a good O-lineman makes the guy beside him good too. I am thinking the other side of the coin could be true too. This leads me to the hope that either our RG or our RT would play well if his sidekick was replaced by a solid player. On the condition of assuming this theory to be correct, which one in your opinion is a more immediate candidate for replacement? Is Willbourne making Terry/Tyrley worse, or is it our RT who's making Wellbourne worse?

StcChief
10-23-2007, 11:47 AM
THAT's a given

both could use an upgrade.... nothing gonna happen until next year. So they need to get their act together

suds79
10-23-2007, 11:48 AM
It's hard to say.

Unfortunately, my guy feeling is that they both stink. Sorry... And Casey isn't fit for this offense.

I'll be extremely dissapointed if all 3 are not replaced as starters next year. But I'm confident that'll happen.

Frankie
10-23-2007, 11:50 AM
THAT's a given

both could use an upgrade.... nothing gonna happen until next year. So they need to get their act together
That's not the answer I'm after. The answer should consider the hypothesis that one our linemen on the Right is not the POS he appears to be.

Frankie
10-23-2007, 11:51 AM
It's hard to say.

Unfortunately, my guy feeling is that they both stink. Sorry... And Casey isn't fit for this offense.

I'll be extremely dissapointed if all 3 are not replaced as starters next year. But I'm confident that'll happen.
I'm with you on this. But who to replace first if we run into cap limitations? My gut feeling is the Wellbourn is the worse offender.

FAX
10-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Our entire o-line is in disarry and a full-fledged left guard media controversy is emerging. Therefore, Mr. Frankie, your wild hypothesis is .... MOOT!!!

FAX

MOhillbilly
10-23-2007, 11:55 AM
whos the gaurd from the steelers that isnt happy or in a contract year or something? i remember madden or some talking head saying something about it.

Hammock Parties
10-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Terry was actually pretty good yesterday. Much better than Welbourn.

suds79
10-23-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm with you on this. But who to replace first if we run into cap limitations? My gut feeling is the Wellbourn is the worse offender.

Well I normally feel that Tackle is twice as important as Guard but Wellbourn just might be the worse offender.

As far as cap limitations? This is why I like what herm is working.

He drafts guys and he plays them. Further yet, he's proven to draft pretty good so far.

Here's my idea of how to do it.

For the rest of the year get Rudy Niswanger some playing time at Center. Hopfully that works out. If not, you can get one of the best college Centers in the mid rounds. Those guys don't go high.

1st round - draft LT and move McIntosh to RT. This draft is deep with some giant Tackles. :drool:
3rd round (or somehwere around there) - Draft a RG.

You could even sign a Guard if you didn't want to draft one. But signing one guy isn't asking for a whole lot IMO.

penguinz
10-23-2007, 12:03 PM
I missed the game yesterday. Who did we play and did we win?

HemiEd
10-23-2007, 12:11 PM

It appears to me that Welbourn has missed his roids. Turley is constantly beat and Terry seems to have a lot to learn. Niswanger is the back RG and also the backup center.

I would replace Welbourn first and see what happens. I would also start Niswanger and let him learn, he couldn't be any worse, could he?

HemiEd
10-23-2007, 12:13 PM

I would agree, except for the two false starts. I think he is improving.

Frankie
10-23-2007, 12:19 PM
It appears to me that Welbourn has missed his roids. Turley is constantly beat and Terry seems to have a lot to learn. Niswanger is the back RG and also the backup center.

I would replace Welbourn first and see what happens. I would also start Niswanger and let him learn, he couldn't be any worse, could he?
I agree with this post. DEFINITELY with the first sentence.

Adept Havelock
10-23-2007, 12:47 PM

Spot on.

And it can always be worse.

ChiefsCountry
10-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Draft a stud left tackle in the first, move McIntosh to right. Sign a young free agent right guard.

FAX
10-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Is Niswanger any good?

FAX

ILWarpaint
10-23-2007, 02:56 PM
I rewatched the game last night (I love DVR!). It's obvious Welborn isn't the same guy he has been in the past. It almost looks like he's hurt. His mobility is just awful. I'm all for trying someone else at that spot.

Frankie
10-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Is Niswanger any good?

FAX
"Nis" (or "Nist") in Farsi means "not there" or "lacking." In Farsinglish, this guy can't be any good.

Frankie
10-23-2007, 03:30 PM
I rewatched the game last night (I love DVR!). It's obvious Welborn isn't the same guy he has been in the past. It almost looks like he's hurt. His mobility is just awful. I'm all for trying someone else at that spot.
The power of HGH.

HemiEd
10-23-2007, 03:35 PM

Agreed, and when you couple that with Frankie's thread theme. It puts more pressure on the two next to him. Neither is strong enough to pick up the slack IMO.
I thought Will Shields had dropped off, but damn, he was still a Pro Bowler compared to his replacement.

kcchiefsus
10-23-2007, 03:42 PM

But we don't have cap limitations so that won't be a problem. We had around $12 or $13 million in cap room at the beginning of this season and that was after we had already signed Larry Johnson to his new contract. We have some dead money coming off the cap next year, the salary cap is going up, and some big contracts like that of Casey Wiegmann coming off the cap. Even with Jared Allen needing to be re-signed we have plenty of cap room.

And if it came down to it we could still restructure some contracts. Indianapolis signed Dwight Freeney to an outrageous contract yet they still have more cap room than we do. If they can do it then so can we.

kcchiefsus
10-23-2007, 03:44 PM

Yeah, that's why he had two false start penalties. Because he was good.

:banghead:

FAX
10-23-2007, 03:44 PM
"Nis" (or "Nist") in Farsi means "not there" or "lacking." In Farsinglish, this guy can't be any good.

Dang, Mr. Frankie. So, in Farsi, Niswanger means "Lacking Wanger"?

I'd say cut him, but it sounds like he already has been.

FAX

kcchiefsus
10-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Draft a stud left tackle in the first, move McIntosh to right. Sign a young free agent right guard.

Justin Smiley would be a good free agent signing IMO. He is a solid guard for San Fransisco who would be a cheap upgrade over Welbourn.

FAX
10-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Agreed, and when you couple that with Frankie's thread theme. It puts more pressure on the two next to him. Neither is strong enough to pick up the slack IMO.
I thought Will Shields had dropped off, but damn, he was still a Pro Bowler compared to his replacement.

I'm of the belief that anyone without a wanger should be sent to the practice squad and that, on a football team, no area requires more coordination, teamwork, and consistency than does the o-line. We seem to be lacking in all those areas. You may not excel, but I think you can get by with nominal talent if they work together in a well-coordinated way. I hate to say it, but I think some of our problems have to do with coaching and practice.

FAX

Skyy God
10-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Personally, I'm glad we didn't look at Jared Gaither. He's only started 2 games for the Ravens so far. Terry and Turley have been outstanding thus far.

Hammock Parties
10-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Personally, I'm glad we didn't look at Jared Gaither. He's only started 2 games for the Ravens so far. Terry and Turley have been outstanding thus far.

WTF?

kcchiefsus
10-23-2007, 05:10 PM
WTF?

Sarcasm

JohnnyV13
10-23-2007, 05:16 PM
We could always chase Ryan Lilja in FA during the offeseason. Alan Faneca would be 32 next season. He would not help the line get any younger.

Buehler445
10-23-2007, 06:39 PM
whos the gaurd from the steelers that isnt happy or in a contract year or something? i remember madden or some talking head saying something about it.

Alan Faneca (sp.)

He is going to cost a LOT and he is pretty old. I don't know if the staff will go for that.

TRR
10-23-2007, 09:19 PM
I don't believe Welbourn has played as bad as some posters state, but it's hard to focus just on him...I think Turley and Terry are both decent RT's, but they need to be consistent. Turley is hurt too often...Any shakeup in the line is tough, and he just can't seem to stay healthy. Terry is not as gifted, but at least he is consistent.

Tribal Warfare
10-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Draft a stud left tackle in the first.

If Sam Baker is their then I'd concur