PDA

View Full Version : A rules strategy suggestion.

Rain Man
10-23-2007, 05:18 PM
This may sound insane, but hear me out.

On third down and long, it appears that sometimes we just run the ball and try to pick up some yards for field position. Whatever. That's not the topic. Just accept it as fact.

I noticed the other day that we did this, and we got called for holding, and the other team declined the penalty. Good move. We didn't get the first down, and so we had to punt. It's standard operating procedure to decline the penalty in this situation.

So here's my plan.

The odds are a zillion to one against us making a first down when we run on third and 10 or 15 or 20. If we get a penalty in that situation, the other team will always decline it.

So on third and long, let's run the ball and tell the offensive line to hold all they want. Hold high, hold low, hold them until they weep in frustration. By doing so, the odds are good that we'll get some extra yards as a result, and if the penalty gets called the other team's standard operating procedure is that they won't accept it unless we get a first down, which is very unlikely. Our goal is just to get another five yards or so for our field position battle. We don't care if we don't make the first down, because we don't expect to anyway.

Maybe eventually a team will start accepting these penalties, but if they do, we just do it again so it doesn't matter. Worst case, it keeps their defense out on the field all day. We would tire them out the way a hitter keeps hitting foul balls against a pitcher.

I think this plan is flawless. Let the accolades begin.

Adept Havelock
10-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Sounds like it's worth a try to me.

Skip Towne
10-23-2007, 05:43 PM
This may sound insane, but hear me out.

On third down and long, it appears that sometimes we just run the ball and try to pick up some yards for field position. Whatever. That's not the topic. Just accept it as fact.

I noticed the other day that we did this, and we got called for holding, and the other team declined the penalty. Good move. We didn't get the first down, and so we had to punt. It's standard operating procedure to decline the penalty in this situation.

So here's my plan.

The odds are a zillion to one against us making a first down when we run on third and 10 or 15 or 20. If we get a penalty in that situation, the other team will always decline it.

So on third and long, let's run the ball and tell the offensive line to hold all they want. Hold high, hold low, hold them until they weep in frustration. By doing so, the odds are good that we'll get some extra yards as a result, and if the penalty gets called the other team's standard operating procedure is that they won't accept it unless we get a first down, which is very unlikely. Our goal is just to get another five yards or so for our field position battle. We don't care if we don't make the first down, because we don't expect to anyway.

Maybe eventually a team will start accepting these penalties, but if they do, we just do it again so it doesn't matter. Worst case, it keeps their defense out on the field all day. We would tire them out the way a hitter keeps hitting foul balls against a pitcher.

I think this plan is flawless. Let the accolades begin.
Are you related to Herm?

RJ
10-23-2007, 05:49 PM
That's so crazy it just might work!!

Rain Man
10-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Are you related to Herm?

No, but our eyebrows are a lot alike.

Rain Man
10-23-2007, 06:02 PM
That's so crazy it just might work!!

That's my thinking exactly.

Bugeater
10-23-2007, 06:10 PM
How is this going to help us kick more field goals?

Basileus777
10-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Teams will just accept the continuous holding penalties until we are backed up one the 1 yard line and then decline it...or get infinite chances to get a safety.

JBucc
10-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Let's just punt and not even risk losing yards and getting into those third and long situations.

cdcox
10-23-2007, 06:33 PM
This plan is more brilliant than even presented. Occasionally, we will break a long run (first down or more) on one of these holding plays, and occasionally, the refs won't call the penalty. Free first down!

Hammock Parties
10-23-2007, 06:39 PM
The only problem with this is that even if we hold, eventually we are bound to get stuffed. Then we're screwed!

Demonpenz
10-23-2007, 06:41 PM
man Oline hold on most plays somewhat. I am not confident the refs would throw a flag on two plays no matter how blantent. Then there is the fact that this would be alittle bush league. I always wonder what happens when a team is at like the 45 and they take a deleberate delay of game to back themselves up giving the punter more room. The other team declines it then the other team just goes on to try another delay of game. Or if they stop the clock maybe a on purpose false start. then the other team declines it

Saul Good
10-23-2007, 06:53 PM
How about, instead of running, you put the QB in the shotgun on 3rd and long and let a defensive end through the line. Right before the QB gets sacked, he punts the ball. Suddenly, it's a roughing the punter penalty...automatic first down.

siberian khatru
10-23-2007, 06:55 PM
It's like the football equivalent of Hack-a-Shaq.

cdcox
10-23-2007, 07:00 PM
How about, instead of running, you put the QB in the shotgun on 3rd and long and let a defensive end through the line. Right before the QB gets sacked, he punts the ball. Suddenly, it's a roughing the punter penalty...automatic first down.

This could work on any play the QB is about to get sacked. You can put on any down. Brilliant.

Saul Good
10-23-2007, 07:03 PM
This could work on any play the QB is about to get sacked. You can put on any down. Brilliant.
The downside to doing it when it wasn't planned is that you would get offsetting penalties for having men illegally downfield.

Hydrae
10-23-2007, 07:05 PM
The downside to doing it when it wasn't planned is that you would get offsetting penalties for having men illegally downfield.

So you replay the down instead of losing yards and the down on the sack. Still works for me. :shrug:

StcChief
10-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Actually I'm sure Herm knows that. if he admits it or not.

though he acts like "mr anti-penalty".....

cdcox
10-23-2007, 07:06 PM

On most plays, we don't have more than two receivers more than 3 yards beyond the LOS, anyway. I think we're good.

chiefsfan987
10-23-2007, 09:42 PM
I don't like this plan because it'll give us a reputation for always holding which will probably result in more ticky tack penalties throughout the game.

Ebolapox
10-23-2007, 09:47 PM
The only problem with this is that even if we hold, eventually we are bound to get stuffed. Then we're screwed!

yeah, we NEVER get stuffed on the fun.

:spock:

Ebolapox
10-23-2007, 09:48 PM
I don't like this plan because it'll give us a reputation for always holding which will probably result in more ticky tack penalties throughout the game.

yeah. cuz we'd be the ONLY team in the league that holds!!!111

:spock:

RealSNR
10-23-2007, 10:01 PM
That sounds like a complicated thing for the offense to do.

Remember, we want to simplify the offense!