PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Board

ChiTown
10-24-2007, 02:20 PM
I want to surprise my kids with tickets to an NBA game for X-Mas. They've never been to one. From a location/time standpoint, I'm thinking a Dallas Mavericks game. I need 4 tickets to a game in January. Any thoughts on where I could best access these (looking for moderately priced tickets - $150-200/seat).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Chi

ChiefsGirl
10-24-2007, 02:23 PM
stubhub

That's moderate? That amount will definitely get you very good seats.

ChiefsGirl
10-24-2007, 02:26 PM
This would be a great game to go to.

http://www.stubhub.com/?event_id=441051&flash=0&flash8=1

DaFace
10-24-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm not entirely sure how NFL ticket strategies translate to other sports, but I'd imagine it's similar.

If you're wanting the best selection and easiest purchase, StubHub is the way to go. If you're looking for a good value, eBay will beat StubHub most of the time.

ChiTown
10-24-2007, 02:27 PM
This would be a great game to go to.

http://www.stubhub.com/?event_id=441051&flash=0&flash8=1

I agree, but it's a X-Mas gift, so I don't want them to have to wait 3 months to open it - ;)

Thanks for the input.

ChiTown
10-24-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm not entirely sure how NFL ticket strategies translate to other sports, but I'd imagine it's similar.

If you're wanting the best selection and easiest purchase, StubHub is the way to go. If you're looking for a good value, eBay will beat StubHub most of the time.

Do you have any experience with purchasing tickets on eBay? I sure don't. Matter of fact, I've never purchased a signal item from eBay.

ChiefsCountry
10-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Memphis or Denver might be easier to get tickets.

HemiEd
10-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Saturday, January 19th, Detroit will be in town playing the Bulls. Chicago, as you know, is always a nice place to visit in January. :D

ChiefsGirl
10-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Memphis or Denver might be easier to get tickets.

You get what you pay for. :p

Cleveland at Dallas would be a good game. 12-27

http://www.stubhub.com/?event_id=441031&flash=0&flash8=1

Spott
10-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Dang, that's pretty expensive. I went to see a Bulls/Heat game in Miami a couple of years ago and I only paid about $30.00 a piece at the stadium from a scalper.

RockChalk
10-24-2007, 02:42 PM
I want to surprise my kids with tickets to an NBA game for X-Mas. They've never been to one.
Chi

that's a good thing :)

in all seriousness, have your kids talked about wanting to go to a NBA game? i've been to 4 in my lifetime and they all sucked equally as bad. unless it's the playoffs or a big game matchup, then the atmosphere is just awful.

of course, i'm spoiled by AFH

kaplin42
10-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Do you have any experience with purchasing tickets on eBay? I sure don't. Matter of fact, I've never purchased a signal item from eBay.

ChiTown,

I have bought tickets on ebay before. Got them for a SD vs KC game in SD.

It's really easy, just search the game you want to go to. You will see who has what and how many. Most will put pictures of the stadium and where you will be sitting at, some may even have photos of what your view will look like.

You have to create an account, but that is simple enough. And then you bid, like an auction. If you win, you can paypal/fedex the tickets or depending on location, just pick them up. I personally met the lady down the street from her house and and got them right there.

Ebay should definately be worth at least looking at, you may be able to get a great deal.

ChiTown
10-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Dang, that's pretty expensive. I went to see a Bulls/Heat game in Miami a couple of years ago and I only paid about $30.00 a piece at the stadium from a scalper.

Oh, there's no doubt that I could get the tickets cheaper going that route. The problem is, it's a gift, and I need to make sure I'm getting tickets in advance.

The other situation for me is that I'm doing this as a special event for my kids. So, I'd like to get some decent seats to a good game. I probably won't be going to another NBA game until/if KC gets a team.

I'm looking at the Lakers-Mav's game on the 25th of January.

ChiTown
10-24-2007, 02:47 PM
that's a good thing :)

in all seriousness, have your kids talked about wanting to go to a NBA game? i've been to 4 in my lifetime and they all sucked equally as bad. unless it's the playoffs or a big game matchup, then the atmosphere is just awful.

of course, i'm spoiled by AFH

Yes - constantly. They are both NBA freaks. Believe me, I'd much rather go to a NHL game.

Kaplin 42 - Thanks for the input. I'll look it over this evening.

Saulbadguy
10-24-2007, 02:47 PM
I've purchased tickets and other items from eBay, and have never had a problem. The only problems i've had on ebay is selling items.

I went to my first NBA game last year and loved it, it was a Pacers game. They have a fieldhouse style arena which is pretty modern. I paid $20 a seat and got nosebleeds but it wasn't a bad view. 150-200 will get you damn good seats.

Spott
10-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Oh, there's no doubt that I could get the tickets cheaper going that route. The problem is, it's a gift, and I need to make sure I'm getting tickets in advance.

The other situation for me is that I'm doing this as a special event for my kids. So, I'd like to get some decent seats to a good game. I probably won't be going to another NBA game until/if KC gets a team.

I'm looking at the Lakers-Mav's game on the 25th of January.

I have seen them fairly cheap on Ebay as well. If the Lakers trade Kobe, you might be able to get the tickets pretty cheap.

RockChalk
10-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Yes - constantly. They are both NBA freaks. Believe me, I'd much rather go to a NHL game.

who do they cheer for?

ChiTown
10-24-2007, 02:50 PM
150-200 will get you damn good seats.

That's what I thought, too. However, if you go to StubHub and track down the Lakers game in January, You don't start getting to "good" until you pass $200+, and damn good is $400+. :banghead:

ChiTown
10-24-2007, 02:52 PM
who do they cheer for?

They both love the Mav's. Go figure, but I'm a Bulls fan myself:)

Saulbadguy
10-24-2007, 02:52 PM
That's what I thought, too. However, if you go to StubHub and track down the Lakers game in January, You don't start getting to "good" until you pass $200+, and damn good is $400+. :banghead:
The Mav's have a trading post thing, similar to what the Royals have.

http://teamexchange.ticketmaster.com/html/seatlist.htmI?l=EN&team=mavericks&EVNT=EDAL0125&CNTX=

DaKCMan AP
10-24-2007, 02:56 PM
THose would be some good/expensive seats. You may try the team's websites since not all basketball games are sold out and you don't always have to go through a ticket broker.

DaFace
10-24-2007, 03:00 PM

Since that's the case, you'll have an easier time finding what you're looking for through StubHub. They handle the whole process and guarantee the tickets, so you're not taking a risk by buying there.

If you choose to go through eBay, you'll want to make sure to check out the seller's feedback before buying. It's quite a bit more risky to buy on eBay, but as long as you check the seller out first, you can be pretty sure you're not taking any unnecessary risk.

ChiefsGirl
10-24-2007, 03:15 PM
They both love the Mav's. Go figure, but I'm a Bulls fan myself:)

It sounds like you have done a great job of parenting. :)

DaKCMan AP
10-24-2007, 03:42 PM
mavs tix:
http://www.nba.com/mavericks/schedule/index.html

Some may be sold out, but click on the "TIX" logo to look for tickets.