PDA

View Full Version : NFL Home Field Advantage Going Away?

BigRedChief
10-25-2007, 11:17 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/blair_kerkhoff/story/330341.html

NFL away advantage?

The Colts’ victory at Jacksonville on Monday left home teams with a 9-5 record this weekend, which doesn’t seem like an unusual ratio.

But get this. Since the beginning of the 2006 season more teams — 19 of 32 — have break-even or losing records at home.

The best home records belong to the Colts (11-0), Ravens (10-1) and Chargers (10-1). The Chiefs, Patriots and Steelers are tied for fourth at 8-3 in that span.

The Raiders (3-8) are at the bottom of the list.

Last season, road teams won 47 percent of the games, the highest total since 1986.

RustShack
10-25-2007, 11:19 AM
I don't think home field advantage is as big as a deal as it's made out to be anymore. It could help in really really close games a little, but you would have to have an unreal crowd.

suds79
10-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Doesn't Vegas look at home field advantage as a 3 point favor?

In other words, if the home team is favored by 3, Vegas thinks of the two teams as a push on a neutral field.

Third Eye
10-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Doesn't Vegas look at home field advantage as a 3 point favor?

In other words, if the home team is favored by 3, Vegas thinks of the two teams as a push on a neutral field.
Correct. What I find to be funny is that the top 6 teams are all in the AFC. I mean granted the AFC is better than the NFC right now, but I wouldn't have thought that.

DaKCMan AP
10-25-2007, 11:37 AM
IMO, this is a case of correlation without causation.

jidar
10-25-2007, 11:51 AM
That's an interesting problem. What can be done?

How the **** should I know? I have no idea, but do you know who does? NPH.

Ask yourself, would NPH do?

http://uranus.ckt.net/~bmcclen/wwnphdo.jpg

I'll tell you what he would do, he'd come down from the sky on a ****ing unicorn because that's just how awesome he is. You can't even begin to be this cool so don't even ****ing try.

BigRedChief
10-25-2007, 11:51 AM
IMO, this is a case of correlation without causation.
Big Words. You got some scentific data to back up you hypothesis?:)

DaKCMan AP
10-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Big Words. You got some scentific data to back up you hypothesis?:)

No, but would you be willing to finance a study to provide said scientific data? ;)

BigRedChief
10-25-2007, 11:54 AM
No, but would you be willing to finance a study to provide said scientific data? ;)
Sure put me down. I'll volunteer Stevie Ray also.

Direckshun
10-25-2007, 11:55 AM
I think the list of teams in the first post is proof that Arrowhead is truly one of the last REAL homefield advantages in the NFL.

All those other teams mentioned are damn good -- the Chiefs, however, floundering just above average, manage to have a home record that rivals theirs.

StcChief
10-25-2007, 11:56 AM
sample size is too small to really predicate it. Home field advantage to some games.

if you can't bring in your own ref it doesn't seem worthwhile :p

beach tribe
10-25-2007, 11:56 AM
That's an interesting problem. What can be done?

How the **** should I know? I have no idea, but do you know who does? NPH.

Ask yourself, would NPH do?

http://uranus.ckt.net/~bmcclen/wwnphdo.jpg

I'll tell you what he would do, he'd come down from the sky on a ****ing unicorn because that's just how awesome he is. You can't even begin to be this cool so don't even ****ing try.
Is a gay guy playing a horny straight guy really that cool?

jidar
10-25-2007, 11:58 AM

NPH was managing to rise above his nerddom, much like Wil Wheaton. In fact they used to be functionally equivalent. You could put that to a unit of measurement and say that one NPH == 1 Wheaton, for a 1:1 ratio. But as of Harold and Kumar he increased his Wheaton value by a large margin. I estimate that an NPH is now worth at least 3 Wheatons on the Wheaton scale.

DaFace
10-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Where's cdcox? I'm pretty sure he reached this same conclusion a while back.

beach tribe
10-25-2007, 12:02 PM
NPH was managing to rise above his nerddom, much like Wil Wheaton. In fact they used to be functionally equivalent. You could put that to a unit of measurement and say that one NPH == 1 Wheaton, for a 1:1 ratio. But as of Harold and Kumar he increased his Wheaton value by a large margin. I estimate that an NPH is now worth at least 3 Wheatons on the Wheaton scale.
No offense but, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.........and I am glad.

BigRedChief
10-25-2007, 12:06 PM
WTH did I miss? Some internet thingy like the pole valut girl or What would Chuck Norris do? etc etc. On 2nd thought I don't want to know.

DaKCMan AP
10-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Taking a quick look at the numbers, there are 10 teams with losing records at home and 20 teams with losing records on the road.

16 teams have winning records at home and 8 teams have a winning record on the road.

Valiant
10-25-2007, 12:31 PM
I think it comes down to some really really bad teams(ie Oakland) that can never win a game in that timespan.. To some really really good teams(ie Colts, Pats) going into some average teams homes and spanking them.. Teams like KC/GB which are average still have the homecrowd advantage..

I am sure if you took out Oaklands/Colts/Pats records out for the past 3-4 years homefield advantage would soar to 65-70% won...

Third Eye
10-25-2007, 12:33 PM
NPH is cool. If you don't watch How I Met Your Mother, then you should. His Barney character is great, even if he is a gay guy playing a horny straight guy. Really, is it any different than the countless straight guys that have played flamboyant gays?

Frazod
10-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Home field advantage is completely dependant upon the fans - number of fans/volume of fans/knowing when to make noise. It seems like a no-brainer, but not everybody knows how to cheer correctly. Bear fans in particular are pretty f#cking stupid when it comes to making noise - there doesn't seem to be much difference in the amount of noise they make between offense and defense. At Arrowhead, before an offensive play, you can hear a pin drop. Before a defensive play, you couldn't hear a plane crash.

And NPH was awesome in Starship Troopers. :thumb:

Frazod
10-25-2007, 12:47 PM
One other thought - I think as ticket prices continue to rise and regular fans are priced out of attending games, this will become a problem for everybody. Seriously, who's going to make more noise - a regular blue collar guy or some brie-sniffing yuppie douchebag?

JBucc
10-25-2007, 12:50 PM
It's because of global warming. Places that used to be freezing all year round are now sunny paradises. Thanks a lot Bush.

jidar
10-25-2007, 12:58 PM
It's because of global warming. Places that used to be freezing all year round are now sunny paradises. Thanks a lot Bush.

global warming is a myth. It's actually just NPH on his unicorn flying so fast he heats up the sky.

Adept Havelock
10-25-2007, 01:05 PM
The league seems to be trying to make sure it goes away.

That's the only reason they keep bringing up the idiotic notion of putting speakers in the helmets of the entire Offense, AFAICS. As if the game wasn't already tilted towards the offense.

cdcox
10-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Where's cdcox? I'm pretty sure he reached this same conclusion a while back.

Yep.

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=169317

Bob Dole
10-25-2007, 01:55 PM
NPH is cool. If you don't watch How I Met Your Mother, then you should. His Barney character is great, even if he is a gay guy playing a horny straight guy. Really, is it any different than the countless straight guys that have played flamboyant gays?
Can't tell how much of a role NPH is going to have in H&K2, but the trailer indicates he's in there.

http://whatwouldnphdo.com/

BigRedChief
10-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Yep.

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=169317
You should sue the Star :)

HemiEd
10-25-2007, 02:24 PM
I think the list of teams in the first post is proof that Arrowhead is truly one of the last REAL homefield advantages in the NFL.

All those other teams mentioned are damn good -- the Chiefs, however, floundering just above average, manage to have a home record that rivals theirs.

Don't forget, Indy pipes in that extra loud artificial noise.

HemiEd
10-25-2007, 02:28 PM
The league seems to be trying to make sure it goes away.

I doubt if anbody has one in England this weekend, nor in Germany next year.

BigRedChief
10-26-2007, 08:30 AM
You know I think Arrowhead has lost it's burst but I'm comparing it to the 90's so comparing it to the 2007 NFL stadiums it looks like we still rock the house! :clap:

luv
10-26-2007, 11:31 AM
One other thought - I think as ticket prices continue to rise and regular fans are priced out of attending games, this will become a problem for everybody. Seriously, who's going to make more noise - a regular blue collar guy or some brie-sniffing yuppie douchebag?
Our ticket/parking prices are still comparable to other NFL franchises, FWIW.