PDA

View Full Version : Another ESPN writer slurps Herm

BigRock
10-25-2007, 05:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=fleming/071025&sportCat=nfl

A week after Mort said "Herm" and "coach of the year" in the same breath comes this:

THE HERMINATOR

A couple of more wins and Chiefs coach Herm Edwards will have wrapped up NFL Coach of the Year honors. Seriously. We all watched HBO's Hard Knocks this summer. We all saw the level of talent in Kansas City. We all thought the Chiefs had conceded 2007 and were already secretly looking toward 2008. Larry Johnson was holding out. Damon Huard was under center. Tim Krumrie was screaming at someone. But somehow, eight weeks later, the Chiefs are in first place. Now all that could change -- and change fast -- with Green Bay, Denver and the Colts lined up on the schedule. And a lot of it has to do with the AFC West. But really, it doesn't matter. Like running back Priest Holmes' incredible comeback, somehow the Chiefs have found a way to persevere. Is it pretty? Uh, no. Is it dominant? Not exactly. But does it represent something even bigger and better in sports that often gets lost or ignored? Hell yeah. This summer Bucs linebacker Cato June told me, "Some people in this world are so driven, they make physical limitations obsolete." That pretty much sums up the Chiefs under Edwards so far in 2007.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2007, 05:45 PM
He's right though. Herm is doing a bang-up job.

MichaelH
10-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Coach Hermie does have many good qualities that overshadow the bad. He uses what he's given to work with and does the best he can. I do wish he's get a better offensive coordinator and admit he knows nothing about offense. But somehow I do feel better with him as head coach than any coach KC has had for many years. Now the front office is a different story.

CoMoChief
10-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Not really. This team really should be 6-1. No reason to lose to the Texans and Bears.

kcxiv
10-25-2007, 05:49 PM
People dont like to admit it, but Herm is a good coach. He's not the best coach, but he's solid. He will have your team competing week in and week out.

I had written off this year as a horrible season, and i would love nothing more then to be proven wrong.

ILChief
10-25-2007, 05:50 PM

I agree, he's done a good job this year. I wish he'd play the right QB though :)

FAX
10-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Does Kool-aid come in Varnish flavor?

FAX

Braincase
10-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Before the season, I didn't see us at 4-3 at this point. But then again, I didn't know that the Bears game would be as winnable as it was, nor that the Bengals would create a sucking noise that could back up a river. San Diego was just dysfunctional enough for us to embarrass them at home, and Oakland has no chance at Rookie of the Year wth the NOOP, but we do. Right now, I'm not scared of Green Bay or Denver, and the Colts might be ripe for whoopin' if the stars align correctly and Peyton Manning sprains his larynx.

By golly, we might just pull this thing out of our asses like a woman giving birth to a watermelon. It'll be painful, but in the long run, rewarding.

cdcox
10-25-2007, 06:01 PM
People dont like to admit it, but Herm is a bad coach. He's not the worst coach, but he's weak. He will have the other team competing week in and week out.

I had written off the Herm era as a bunch of mediocre seasons, and I have yet to see anything that make me think I'll be proven wrong.

FAX
10-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Before the season, I didn't see us at 4-3 at this point. But then again, I didn't know that the Bears game would be as winnable as it was, nor that the Bengals would create a sucking noise that could back up a river. San Diego was just dysfunctional enough for us to embarrass them at home, and Oakland has no chance at Rookie of the Year wth the NOOP, but we do. Right now, I'm not scared of Green Bay or Denver, and the Colts might be ripe for whoopin' if the stars align correctly and Peyton Manning sprains his larynx.

By golly, we might just pull this thing out of our asses like a woman giving birth to a watermelon. It'll be painful, but in the long run, rewarding.

That's cool, Mr. Braincase. But, I don't understand the "rewarding" part. Are we planning on eating the watermelon?

FAX

Deberg_1990
10-25-2007, 06:05 PM
People dont like to admit it, but Herm is a bad coach. He's not the worst coach, but he's weak. He will have the other team competing week in and week out.

I had written off the Herm era as a bunch of mediocre seasons, and I have yet to see anything that make me think I'll be proven wrong.

Everyone gave DV a pass until his "magical Season 3"

Why cant we do the same with Herm??

Personally, i think next year is our year, if we make the right moves with the O-line and QB.

cdcox
10-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Everyone gave DV a pass until his "magical Season 3"

Why cant we do the same with Herm??

Personally, i think next year is our year, if we make the right moves with the O-line and QB.

I didn't want Herm in the first place. I don't agree with his philosophy.

QBs take a few years to develop and we are basically wasting this year as far as that goes. It will be unlikely that we can get three new decent starters on the line in a single season. I think this could be Kennison's last year. Edwards, Law and Surtain aren't far behind. For the next few years, the holes in our line up are going to open just as fast as we fill them.

kcfan82
10-25-2007, 06:17 PM
I still find it funny that the guy takes us to the playoffs last year and has on top of the AFC West right now and he still has serious critics.

Lets get a QB that has a brain and can throw further than 20 yards before we judge him.

Oh and an oline that can move a blocking sled 6 inches.

EyePod
10-25-2007, 06:19 PM
What about the Browns, Redskins, Packers, Lions, Buccaneers, Cardinals, and Texans? All of those teams have turned it around or are on the verge of turning it around. We MADE THE PLAYOFFS LAST YEAR. Anything less would = being worse. If we don't do better than last year, how can our coach deserve coach of the year? I'll say Herm-O deserves it when we are in the AFC Championship game and put up a good show. And what if Colts or Pats go 16-0, shouldn't Dungy/Belichik get consideration????

Deberg_1990
10-25-2007, 06:20 PM
It will be unlikely that we can get three new decent starters on the line in a single season. I think this could be Kennison's last year. Edwards, Law and Surtain aren't far behind. For the next few years, the holes in our line up are going to open just as fast as we fill them.

Once again, we have DV and his crappy talent evaluators to thank for leaving the well dry.....

cdcox
10-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Once again, we have DV and his crappy talent evaluators to thank for leaving the well dry.....

I'm not blaming Herm for the lack of talent. I was giving the aging of our team-- and the fact that we have no idea about the QB situation -- as the reason not to be optimistic for a few years.

BWillie
10-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Not really. This team really should be 6-1. No reason to lose to the Texans and Bears.

Oh really??? That is why this entire board was predicting the Chiefs to go 4-12 or the very best 5-11?

Listen, Herm's ball is not entertaining to watch. I understand. If it wins games, who the hell cares. Herm Ball is ugly, but it's got big tits.

HemiEd
10-25-2007, 06:45 PM

Best Braincase post I have ever read. You must be highly educated.

tk13
10-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Best Braincase post I have ever read. You must be highly educated.
I'd ask him what language people in London speak before making that assumption.

HemiEd
10-25-2007, 06:53 PM
I'd ask him what language people in London speak before making that assumption.

Good point. Ok BC, what lanquage do they speak in London? You are on the clock. :D

nychief
10-25-2007, 06:56 PM
we are going to stomp Green Bay and Denver.

Deberg_1990
10-25-2007, 06:58 PM
-- and the fact that we have no idea about the QB situation

Im still not convinced that Croyle will ever start for this team.

Pennington, Derrick Anderson and Jeff George will out there next year...

cdcox
10-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Im still not convinced that Croyle will ever start for this team.

Pennington, Derrick Anderson and Jeff George will out there next year...

I declared Pennington to be terrible. in 2002. Getting him would be a Herm move. I expect it to happen.

Derrick Anderson, who knows. He's played decently for a few games. So have lots of other bumbs. If he's any good, Cleveland would be stupid to let he go no matter who they drafted. Quinn is no sure thing.

I assume you're joking aobut Jeff George.

beer bacon
10-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Oh really??? That is why this entire board was predicting the Chiefs to go 4-12 or the very best 5-11?

Listen, Herm's ball is not entertaining to watch. I understand. If it wins games, who the hell cares. Herm Ball is ugly, but it's got big tits.

Hermball is enjoyable if you like good defense. How many people enjoyed watching the DV era defense?

Crashride
10-25-2007, 07:18 PM
I love how everyone all of a sudden is a herm fan. One loss and the planet will be back to where it normally is.

HemiEd
10-25-2007, 07:18 PM

Assuming you are right, do you think we will have scored more than we have given up?

HemiEd
10-25-2007, 07:24 PM
I love how everyone all of a sudden is a herm fan. One loss and the planet will be back to where it normally is.

I am still no Herm fan, but I have always been happy with every Coach after they have beaten the Raiders.

That is always first on the progression of goals for the season.

RealSNR
10-25-2007, 07:45 PM
For some reason the Planet hates the Packers this year. Must be because Mecca went and said something early on.

But seriously, the Packers have a weak(er) schedule and are playing solid football. They'll win that division no problem and be a solid contender in the playoffs. Mike McCarthy deserves Coach of the Year.

Pablo
10-25-2007, 07:46 PM
The football DV gave us was fun to watch. Fairweather fans are jumping ship because pounding the ball, and playing stout D aren't the things you're gonna see on an ESPN ultimate highlight. You might not like Herm, and you may think we're mediocre.. but the Chiefs have been mediocre for a long time. You remember the miraculous run to the AFC Championship the one year DV produced a playoff caliber team? Me either. We bowed out in the first round because a blind monkey with a helmet could have amassed a 95 yard scoring drive on us. Herm is a good coach and as it stands he is 1 for 1 on playoff appearences. DV was 1 for 5. All Show No Go. I personally love watching JA come off the end and crush opposing QB's. We have a nice secondary as it stands, need to get younger at the corners and we'll be set for a while. Harris is fairly young, Edwards has a couple more seasons in him and Hali, Allen, and DJ will be a terrific group for years to come. We picked up a couple draft picks from Tampa, and we've got plenty of room to work with as far as the cap goes next season. The one thing I really give Herm credit for is solid draft picks. When they drafted Bowe I was like WTF? Who is this guy, we couldn't get Smith outta USC or Meachum from Tennessee. I doubted, and I was wrong. Page, Pollard, Hali. All quality picks. Herm can make this team respectable again, give him the benefit of the doubt.

HemiEd
10-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Herm sucks. He drafted Medlock.

Pablo
10-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Herm sucks. He drafted Medlock.You're correct, but I'm willing to let that slide considering the tremendous amount of talent he's brought in opposed to the one glaring failure. If Herm brings Pennington to KC I would hate him. God forbid. DV got us LJ and DJ, so I'll give him props..but he always seemed like too big of a cry-baby pussy to be a football coach. And he played favorites..

BigRock
10-25-2007, 08:07 PM
And what if Colts or Pats go 16-0, shouldn't Dungy/Belichik get consideration????
Corky from Life Goes On could coach the Pats to 13-3 this year.

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
10-25-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm not blaming Herm for the lack of talent. I was giving the aging of our team-- and the fact that we have no idea about the QB situation -- as the reason not to be optimistic for a few years.

You probably have no idea about the QB situation, but i would bet Herm and the Chiefs do.

HemiEd
10-25-2007, 08:21 PM
You're correct, but I'm willing to let that slide considering the tremendous amount of talent he's brought in opposed to the one glaring failure. If Herm brings Pennington to KC I would hate him. God forbid. DV got us LJ and DJ, so I'll give him props..but he always seemed like too big of a cry-baby pussy to be a football coach. And he played favorites..
Don't forget DV drafted Jared Allen.

cdcox
10-25-2007, 08:42 PM
You probably have no idea about the QB situation, but i would bet Herm and the Chiefs do.

You are going to explain the reason for your confidence.

Huard will be 35 next season. Anyone can see he does not have the physical tools to be an elite QB. What we know about Huard is that he is not the long term solution.

Croyle has the physical tools to be an NFL starter. His decision making kept him out of the starting job. Holding a clip board won't make that better, but playing might. Croyle might get better and he might not. No body knows. If the Chiefs had this ability to know which QBs would develop and which would not, we wouldn't be in this situation because we would have drafted Brady in the 5th round before NE drafted him in the 6th. The Cheifs have no idea about Croyle. What can the Chiefs possibly know about Croyle beyond this?

The Chiefs don't know what position they will be drafting in, they don't know who will be available at their slot. They cannot plan to draft a QB without knowing the value when their pick comes up.

The Chiefs don't know what free agents will be available, because they could always sign with their current teams before the market comes open. They don't know which players might be interested in coming to KC, because doing so would be tampering. They have no idea about the prospects of signing a free agent QB, unless they are going to target Pennington, because no other team would have him. If the Chiefs pick him up they will only prove to me they know nothing about QBs, becuase in 2002 I said Pennington would never be a top level QB. That was his high water mark.

No, its pretty clear the Chiefs don't have a clue about their QB situation. If you ask them who their starter will be in 2010 the only answer they could possibly give is Brodie Croyle, (barring the stupidity of picking up Pennington) and that is only a guess. Same as everyone else.

RustShack
10-25-2007, 09:23 PM
We should only be getting better in the next couple of years too!

OnTheWarpath15
10-25-2007, 09:27 PM

Huard will be 35 next season. Anyone can see he does not have the physical tools to be an elite QB. What we know about Huard is that he is not the long term solution.

Croyle has the physical tools to be an NFL starter. His decision making kept him out of the starting job. Holding a clip board won't make that better, but playing might. Croyle might get better and he might not. No body knows. If the Chiefs had this ability to know which QBs would develop and which would not, we wouldn't be in this situation because we would have drafted Brady in the 5th round before NE drafted him in the 6th. The Chiefs have no idea about Croyle. What can the Chiefs possibly know about Croyle beyond this?

The Chiefs don't know what position they will be drafting in, they don't know who will be available at their slot. They cannot plan to draft a QB without knowing the value when their pick comes up.

The Chiefs don't know what free agents will be available, because they could always sign with their current teams before the market comes open. They don't know which players might be interested in coming to KC, because doing so would be tampering. They have no idea about the prospects of signing a free agent QB, unless they are going to target Pennington, because no other team would have him. If the Chiefs pick him up they will only prove to me they know nothing about QBs, becuase in 2002 I said Pennington would never be a top level QB. That was his high water mark.

No, its pretty clear the Chiefs don't have a clue about their QB situation. If you ask them who their starter will be in 2010 the only answer they could possibly give is Brodie Croyle, (barring the stupidity of picking up Pennington) and that is only a guess. Same as everyone else.

:clap:

Mecca
10-25-2007, 09:29 PM

Teams that play like the Chiefs generally don't stomp anyone...

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
10-25-2007, 09:30 PM

Croyle has the physical tools to be an NFL starter. His decision making kept him out of the starting job. Holding a clip board won't make that better, but playing might. Croyle might get better and he might not. No body knows. If the Chiefs had this ability to know which QBs would develop and which would not, we wouldn't be in this situation because we would have drafted Brady in the 5th round before NE drafted him in the 6th. The Chiefs have no idea about Croyle. What can the Chiefs possibly know about Croyle beyond this?

I don't think anyone is under the illusion that Huard was or is going to be an elite QB or a long term solution. I do agree Croyle has the tools but I think the Chiefs wanted to go with the Huard because he gives them the best chance to win now, and they gave Croyle a shot to win the job.

You can't just throw away the season to see if Croyle might be the man, which he might be and i hope he is, but i want the guy in there that gives us the best chance on Sunday. Hell Huard could get hurt next game and Croyle comes in to lead the team to the playoffs.

Mecca
10-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Trying to win now when at best it will get you 9-7 and a first round playoff exit is exactly what's wrong with this franchise...

Chiefs Pantalones
10-25-2007, 09:35 PM
I want Herm and Carl out of here.

cdcox
10-25-2007, 09:35 PM
I don't think anyone is under the illusion that Huard was or is going to be an elite QB or a long term solution. I do agree Croyle has the tools but I think the Chiefs wanted to go with the Huard because he gives them the best chance to win now, and they gave Croyle a shot to win the job.

You can't just throw away the season to see if Croyle might be the man, which he might be and i hope he is, but i want the guy in there that gives us the best chance on Sunday. Hell Huard could get hurt next game and Croyle comes in to lead the team to the playoffs.

Saying that you want to go with the QB that gives the best chance of winning and that you think that QB is Huard is a reasonable statement. I disagree with that opinion, but it is reasonable.

Saying the Chiefs have an idea about thier long term situation at QB is not a reasonable statement. They know exactly as much as any fan who has thought about it for 10 minutes. I don't think you can say the future of a team is bright when you have no idea about the most important position.

Mecca
10-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Saying that you want to go with the QB that gives the best chance of winning and that you think that QB is Huard is a reasonable statement. I disagree with that opinion, but it is reasonable.

Saying the Chiefs have an idea about thier long term situation at QB is not a reasonable statement. They know exactly as much as any fan who has thought about it for 10 minutes. I don't think you can say the future of a team is bright when you have no idea about the most important position.

How many times has this team ever really thought about it's future? It's a team that essentially is almost always built through FA around vets and taken year to year...

OnTheWarpath15
10-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Teams that play like the Chiefs generally don't stomp anyone...

I don't see how we hold Green Bay to less than 13-14 points, since that's about all we seem to score on average.

No one has held them under 16 yet, and they've played some pretty strong defenses. Redskins, Eagles, Giants, Bears, Vikings, Chargers.....

cdcox
10-25-2007, 09:53 PM
How many times has this team ever really thought about it's future? It's a team that essentially is almost always built through FA around vets and taken year to year...

I thought the first few two years that DV was here we were trying to build something. Trent Green, Priest Holmes (we got lucky, I admit), Casey Wiegmann, Eddie Kennison and Willie Roaf. Sure they were all mid-career guys, but they were all picked for a certain reason to fit into a long term scheme. There was a plan behind it.

The defense was a disaster, but it wasn't out of neglect or intent. It started with hiring GRob. I was uneasy with it at the time. Then drafting Sims. Then there were players that never developed (Warfield, Bartee). Bad FA acquisitions (Lew Bush, Crockett, and that washed up bronco LB). Players that got worse (Wesley, Woods, Hicks, Clemons). More bad draft picks at DT (Downing, Freeman). It was like a perfect storm of suckatude. But it was never the plan. It was just incompetance and everything that could go wrong going wrong.

I feel like Herm plans to have a low production offense. I felt it from training camp last year, when Herm was talking about Green taking too many risks and needing to manage the game more. Right then, I knew that we were going to scale donw the offense more and more. And that is exactly what has happened.

Mecca
10-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Herm really thinks scoring to many points is bad for the defense and not right.....

StcChief
10-25-2007, 10:03 PM
just make it so they can't score and 3-0 wins the game...pretty no. W yes. heart attack for players and fans to preserve a 3-0 lead yes.

10-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Does Kool-aid come in Varnish flavor?

FAX
Second that.

cdcox
10-25-2007, 10:23 PM
just make it so they can't score and 3-0 wins the game...pretty no. W yes. heart attack for players and fans to preserve a 3-0 lead yes.

Screw that! With Colquit and a reeealllly good defense, we can win all our games 2-0. We don't even need an offense. We can use the extra roster spots for platoons of defenders so they don't get tired. Genious!

Kerberos
10-26-2007, 05:56 AM

After watching a few quarter of Bronco's football and watching Cutler make SPECTACULAR throws one series and make poor F***ing decisions and throw INT the next is repulsive to me knowing that Croyle would be doing just about the same thing if he were our starter.

I know we have to have these kinds of growing pains but it doesn't make me want to watch it whatsoever.

BUT I agree with you that we should be playing for our future NOW just as much as we should be playing to win.

It's a no win situation for a coach, franchise and fanbase to be in this situation. IMO

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-26-2007, 06:56 AM
Our defense (Jared Allen) has saved ourass and that's all there is to it. We are one or two injuries away from really sucking!

Ultra Peanut
10-26-2007, 07:26 AM
This seems like an odd thing to get worked up over.

I mean, we're currently the shit cherry on tip of the shit sundae that is the AFC West, and that's not a huge deal, but I don't see any reason to complain about an article saying, "Hey, they don't suck as terribly as they looked like they were going to."

KcMizzou
10-26-2007, 07:27 AM
We are one or two injuries away from really sucking!Welcome to the NFL.

beach tribe
10-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Iīll give Herm a little due respect, BUT, I thought this team should have been improved from last year anyway. I donīt see how ANYONE, well mabe the media types, could have thought this team wouldnīt win more than 5 games. Iīve never been able to understand it, and almost believe that the team has succeeded in spite, of some bad offensive coaching decisions.
I think Herm is a great motivator, and that is a great intangible, but weīre going a little over-board with all this greatness talk. This is how I thought it would play out all along. After all, we DO have enough talent to be 4-3. Itīs not that big a deal.

MahiMike
10-26-2007, 08:01 AM
"Location: Overland Park I still find it funny that the guy takes us to the playoffs last year and has on top of the AFC West right now and he still has serious critics.
Lets get a QB that has a brain and can throw further than 20 yards before we judge him.
Oh and an oline that can move a blocking sled 6 inches."

Speaking of critics...Huard is the reason this team has won anything - in spite of Herm. And if you think winning the playoff lottery is any kind of accomplishment, you're mistaken. If DV had a circus, Herm had a freak show against the Colts. Lotta good it did to make the playoffs w/that coaching philosophy.

This team has yet to beat anyone this year. They've scored 102 points in 7 games! The teams they're beaten have won a COMBINED 10 games. This whole diatribe of crowning Herm anything other than king of the woeful AFC West is crazy. Give it another few weeks and you'll see how it plays out.

Molitoth
10-26-2007, 08:16 AM
After watching a few quarter of Bronco's football and watching Cutler make SPECTACULAR throws one series and make poor F***ing decisions and throw INT the next is repulsive to me knowing that Croyle would be doing just about the same thing if he were our starter.

Nobody knows what Croyle would do.

beach tribe
10-26-2007, 08:18 AM

siberian khatru
10-26-2007, 08:25 AM

I agree with that AND what cdcox said.

When I watch Cutler, that fits my image of what Croyle would be right now. But I don't KNOW that with any certainty. Croyle might be far worse.

However, we DO know what Huard is, and I'm not terribly impressed. Yet, Chiefs management is comfortable going with the devil it knows rather than the one it doesn't. We're 4-3, have won 4 of 5 (mostly because of the D, but regardless ...) and they're not willing to risk that by possibly taking another step up with a QB who has superior downfield passing skills and better escapability.

I understand that thinking. I just don't agree with it. I'm more in line with Shanahan's philosophy -- the Donks last year were 7-4 despite Jake Plummer, he made the switch to Cutler.

LOCOChief
10-26-2007, 08:29 AM

I wonder what makes me think you wouldn't or couldn't recognize a winner even if they where right under your nose. Herm demonstrates the characteristics of a winner, his players recognize this. I understand you not having the ability to identify with this as it takes one to know one.

Mr. Plow
10-26-2007, 08:52 AM

Dear God, I hope we don't get to that point.