PDA

View Full Version : Strategy - Coming out of the bye

FRCDFED
10-27-2007, 08:06 PM
If you were coach for a day and could change ONE thing to make this team more competitive coming out of the bye week what would it be?

Actually put yourself in Edwards shoes before answering. No idiotic answers like "fire Edwards" or "fire CP." Make a real assessment of the team and give some sound advice.

My advice would be to implement more slants and 20 yards crossing routes to increase the average yards per play and open up the passing game. You can't always expect Bowe to run the fly route and get separation or always out jump the CB. Eventually the safeties are going to roll over and tatoo his ass.

cdcox
10-27-2007, 08:18 PM
I would have five down field (15 to 20 yards) pass plays each week that I really felt good about because I had practiced them 20 times each during the week. I'd run those plays on first down or 2nd and 6 or less, when the defense wouldn't be expecting them. These plays are in addition to the normal downfield passing plays. Passing on first down isn't enough to make the defense respect your passing game. You need to gain some significant yardage.

Easy 6
10-27-2007, 08:36 PM
I agree with cdcox about significant yardage on 1st down, most of the time, but you cant always chuck it...throw in some quick WR screens to DBO, if well executed, his YAC skills virtually gaurantee 4-5 yards a pop.

Send LJ PAST the line for some catches, keep the screens to him at a minimum...or non-existent...though his receiving skills look to be improved, screens just dont seem to suit him. UPFIELD LJ.

If they're going to bother putting Bigfoot in there, please QUIT with the screens...he's a DAMNED TE!!!...send him upfield where he actually creates a mismatch...dont ask him to juke an OLB.

More Webb, the guy is $$$ on routes near the sideline & has shown considerable YAC skills. This guys a keeper IMO, i used to think it should be Hannon...but Jeff is making a believer outta me.

Priest, use HIM for the screens...he's better at making guys miss in space.

Ok, sorry...thats 4 things.

Mr. Laz
10-27-2007, 08:38 PM
run,run,pass,punt

Hammock Parties
10-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Run from spread formations. On first down.

This two tight-end bullshit has got to stop.

FRCDFED
10-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Run from spread formations. On first down.

This two tight-end bullshit has got to stop.If I were a D Coordinator then I would stack 8 LB's in the box to stop the run or cover slow ass TE's. I wonder where/who come up with this formation.

Hammock Parties
10-27-2007, 09:00 PM
If I were a D Coordinator then I would stack 8 LB's in the box to stop the run or cover slow ass TE's. I wonder where/who come up with this formation.

Uh, there isn't a problem with the formation itself. It's just that we can't block people. We don't have a power offensive line. Only one guy is really suited for that type of game - Waters.

Easy 6
10-27-2007, 09:04 PM
If I were a D Coordinator then I would stack 8 LB's in the box to stop the run or cover slow ass TE's. I wonder where/who come up with this formation.

HUH???

milkman
10-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Priest, use HIM for the screens...he's better at making guys miss in space.

I don't think our inability to run screens is so much LJ, though he is part of it.

I think the problem is we no longer have the O-Lineman that can get out in space and block for them.

DBowe44
10-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Im a troll

Easy 6
10-28-2007, 12:07 PM
rut-ro

"Bob" Dobbs
10-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Heeeere we go.

Deberg_1990
10-28-2007, 01:08 PM
If you were coach for a day and could change ONE thing to make this team more competitive coming out of the bye week what would it be?

Start Croyle. Sit Horrid.

RINGLEADER
10-28-2007, 01:15 PM
I'd say change the philosophy from running to set up the pass to pass to set up the running. Quit playing scared on offense and turn the guys loose.

Frankly this team is about where I saw them. I thought before the season that they would win the games against the Texans, Vikings, Jaguars and Raiders and lose to the Bears, Chargers, and Bengals. The fact that they beat the Chargers instead of the Texans was a plus in my book.

ILChief
10-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Start Croyle. Sit Horrid.

Ding Ding Ding....We have a winner!