PDA

View Full Version : A question of loyalty.

Big Chief Homer
10-27-2007, 08:41 PM
I had a conversation with a co-worker about this today.

While not as obvious as DV,Herm has a soft spot for former players that he has either coached or knows from his personal life.Sometimes both.

James Reed-Came to Kansas City after playing with NY Jets.Rumor has it Reeds wife contacted Lea Edwards after James recieved little interest from other teams.

Jon Mcgraw-Was set to return to NY,until Mrs Edwards conviced Coach Edwards to call Jon to Kansas City.(Mrs Mcgraw was present when Herms youngest child was born.)

Jeff Webb-College roommate,team mate and friend of Herms son.

with that being said.Do we see players such as Chad Pennington,John Lynch or even Jon Vilma being looked at in the off season.Herm has referred to Pennington in quite a few pressers the past year or so and we all know the close family bonds between the Lynch's and Edwards.

If they really dont have any faith in Brodie,Do we see Pennington?

What about Lynch?Does Herm give his old buddy a shot if the Donks cut him after the season.Would Lynch take a role as a Back up?

I would like to see Vilma brought in,but does he fit our scheme and is he needed with Harris in the middle?

Hammock Parties
10-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Reed, McGraw and Webb all have one thing in common - they are backups.

I think they are qualified to be backups.

I don't see a problem.

Big Chief Homer
10-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Not saying its a problem,but more of a trend.

GC-have you heard any of those rumors about reed or mcgraw or was that Jets fan full of it.

BCH

Easy 6
10-27-2007, 08:48 PM
IMO, Herm is probably better able to distinguish personal loyalty from professional responsibility than DV.

Lynch - Too old, Herm wouldnt do it...i'd bet $$$.

Penny - Same deal, he wants to establish a new identity here.

Vilma - That has potential, but would likely come down to how much jack he wanted.

Big Chief Homer
10-27-2007, 08:51 PM
IMO, Herm is probably better able to distinguish personal loyalty from professional responsibility than DV.

Lynch - Too old, Herm wouldnt do it...i'd bet $$$.

Penny - Same deal, he wants to establish a new identity here.

Vilma - That has potential, but would likely come down to how much jack he wanted.

I just read vilmas out for the season with a knee injury,In your opinion,is he better than Harris?When healthy that is.

Hammock Parties
10-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Not saying its a problem,but more of a trend.

GC-have you heard any of those rumors about reed or mcgraw or was that Jets fan full of it.

BCH

Never heard that rumor before this thread. We were thin at DT and needed a warm body, Reed fit the bill.

Lynch is going to retire. I think Vilma would be a good C2 MLB, although I don't like his lack of size. If we sign Pennington I will restart Germ Warfare.

Big Chief Homer
10-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Never heard that rumor before this thread. We were thin at DT and needed a warm body, Reed fit the bill.

Thanks,guy i work with said he read it in the NY post.Im trying to find a copy of the story.

ROFL .I'll be first in line to enlist.

Im not big on Damon,but Pennington!?!?!?!.........I think I'd puke.

Easy 6
10-27-2007, 08:55 PM
I just read vilmas out for the season with a knee injury,In your opinion,is he better than Harris?When healthy that is.

From a run-stopper perspective???...not at all.

Vilma is undoubtedly more athletic, but we need a solid mix of both at MLB.

Big Chief Homer
10-27-2007, 08:59 PM
From a run-stopper perspective???...not at all.

Vilma is undoubtedly more athletic, but we need a solid mix of both at MLB.

Thats what i was thinking myself.

I dont think Harris has played bad this year,but Im comparing him to what we had last year.

BigRock
10-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Vilma would be a huge upgrade, and that's not meant as a knock on Harris. He's an ideal cover 2 MLB. He led the league in tackles during Herm's last season in NY, so I don't know where the knock on him in the run game is coming from.

He's not a FA, though. If he's available it's because the Jets put him on the block, and he wouldn't come cheap. But Harris seems to be doing okay, so I don't know if Vilma would really be worth what it'd cost to get him here. Possibly a 1st round pick just to upgrade a position we're already pretty good at? If we still had Kawika you'd make that move in a heartbeat, but I don't know about now.

Hammock Parties
10-27-2007, 09:13 PM
I think Vilma should move to the weakside. I think he'd be a great replacement for Donnie.

Big Chief Homer
10-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Vilma would be a huge upgrade, and that's not meant as a knock on Harris. He's an ideal cover 2 MLB. He led the league in tackles during Herm's last season in NY, so I don't know where the knock on him in the run game is coming from.

He's not a FA, though. If he's available it's because the Jets put him on the block, and he wouldn't come cheap. But Harris seems to be doing okay, so I don't know if Vilma would really be worth what it'd cost to get him here. Possibly a 1st round pick just to upgrade a position we're already pretty good at? If we still had Kawika you'd make that move in a heartbeat, but I don't know about now.

from what i read about him,he may be on his way out in NY.he was pulled a few times during the game vs the bengals.

When asked why Mangini said Vilma had hurt his knee.Vilma said yesterday on the radio he was fine and could have played.now hes having season ending surgery. :hmmm:

tk13
10-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I was reading that on the Jets board earlier in the week... there was a big blowup about that, Vilma supposedly said he was fine. Murmurs that he doesn't see eye-to-eye with Mangini. Although if you read some of the stuff over there Mangini's almost lost the respect of most of the players anyway. Who knows.

Easy 6
10-27-2007, 09:26 PM

Touche...sometimes it behooves one to look up some stats before opening the 'ol yapper.

Nonetheless, i'd rather see a guy who go's 250 at MLB...than a guy at 230. Something tells me Gun feels the same...a big body to bang in there.

GC's idea of putting him at OLB is much better IMO.

Big Chief Homer
10-27-2007, 09:26 PM
I think Vilma should move to the weakside. I think he'd be a great replacement for Donnie.

Then where will Kendrell go!?!?!!??!?!?!

:p

BigRock
10-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Touche...sometimes it behooves one to look up some stats before opening the 'ol yapper.

Nonetheless, i'd rather see a guy who go's 250 at MLB...than a guy at 230. Something tells me Gun feels the same...a big body to bang in there.

GC's idea of putting him at OLB is much better IMO.
Moving Vilma would probably work, but I'm still not sure where he'd fit in for us at first. Everyone thought Donnie would start to decline, but he looks like he could play another 2-3 years at the level he's at. Eh, whatever... too many good players isn't exactly a bad problem to have.

There's definitely something up with Vilma in NY. Mangini is wasting him in the 3-4 anyway, so maybe he's trying to get cut. I remember hearing Vilma talk in interviews about how much he loved Herm, this being after Herm left, so surely we'd have a shot at him if he was on the market.

Big Chief Homer
10-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I was reading that on the Jets board earlier in the week... there was a big blowup about that, Vilma supposedly said he was fine. Murmurs that he doesn't see eye-to-eye with Mangini. Although if you read some of the stuff over there Mangini's almost lost the respect of most of the players anyway. Who knows.

yesterday i saw 3 different reports.Espn had he was only going to miss this weeks game.The jets site said he was fine and NFL.com fantasy said he was out for the season.

Today,thay all say hes out for the year.

Easy 6
10-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Moving Vilma would probably work, but I'm still not sure where he'd fit in for us at first. Everyone thought Donnie would start to decline, but he looks like he could play another 2-3 years at the level he's at. Eh, whatever... too many good players isn't exactly a bad problem to have.

There's definitely something up with Vilma in NY. Mangini is wasting him in the 3-4 anyway, so maybe he's trying to get cut. I remember hearing Vilma talk in interviews about how much he loved Herm, this being after Herm left, so surely we'd have a shot at him if he was on the market.

Agreed, if the price is right we could always use another young athlete.

If he'll run through a wall for Herm...all the better.