PDA

View Full Version : Missouri defeats Iowa State 42-28 (Pig Brown stuff)

KcMizzou
10-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Missouri defeats Iowa State 42-28
By MIKE DeARMOND
The Kansas City Star

COLUMBIA | Missouri proved it was good enough to beat Iowa State 42-28 when one of its top offensive stars — quarterback Chase Daniel — played merely well enough to be defensive about it.

Next Saturday at Colorado, the No. 13-ranked Tigers will have to prove they can win without the player who has emerged as their top defender.

“I’m done for the season,” senior safety Pig Brown said as he hobbled on crutches to a car outside Memorial Stadium.

Trying to chase down an Iowa State screen play with under 3 minutes left in the triumph that boosted Mizzou to 7-1 overall, 3-1 in the Big 12 North, Brown fell to Faurot Field without any contact. His right Achilles’ was torn.

Tears flowed in the nearly silent MU locker room. Linebacker Sean Weatherspoon and tailback Tony Temple admitted that.

Brown ultimately became a consoling force to his teammates.

“Don’t cry for me,” he told them. “We’ve still got a long way to go.”

Later, on crutches outside the stadium, Brown said he would do everything the rest of the year to help Missouri continue a possible dream season.

“I’m still with these guys,” Brown said. “I’m still their captain. I’m going to support them 100 percent. I’m just not going to be able to be on the field with them.”

Justin Garrett, a junior who missed Saturday’s game with a hyper-extended elbow, likely will be back and in Brown’s strong safety position at Colorado. But no defensive back on the MU team is what Pig Brown had become, a leader on and off the field and a prime candidate for All-Big 12 honors.

“He’s a great player and a great guy,” said tight end Martin Rucker. “We’re just going to have to pick ourselves up and go on without him.”

“Or go on with him,” said Rucker, mindful of Brown’s promise.

Brown’s injury put the cap on an otherwise mediocre afternoon for the Tigers, both defensively and offensively.

Rucker caught seven passes for 66 yards and a TD. Jeremy Maclin caught seven for 65 yards and was one of three Tigers to score a rushing TD.

Daniel began the game hitting 12 straight passes, not missing until an intentional throw-away over coverage with 4 seconds left in the first quarter, a period in which he threw for 109 yards.

That helped stake Missouri to a 14-0 lead. But thereafter, Daniel threw high or wide several times. In fact, one throw was so high it bounced off Rucker’s hands and was intercepted by Devin McDowell, who ran it back 25 yards for a touchdown.

“We were just off on a couple of passes,” Daniel said after the second-lowest yardage total of the season, 250 yards.

There was the interception.

“My fault, but other than that,” Daniel said, “ … it was a pretty efficient day.”

Daniel finished 28 of 37 passing, hitting 75.7 percent of his throws.

“A win is a win,” Daniel said.

Is Missouri — without Brown — good enough to win at Colorado, where Oklahoma lost?

“I think so,” Rucker said. “What we focus on is being a great team. Not just one or two guys doing everything but everybody makes plays all around the ball.”
To reach Mike DeArmond, call 816-234-4353 or send e-mail to mdearmond@kcstar.com

luv
10-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Another Missouri thread? You are a posting madman tonight. :p