PDA

View Full Version : Keegan: Bottom line: KU unbeaten

Lzen
10-29-2007, 09:18 AM
A good read for the people dont' believe the KU program is head in the right direction. For those that insist that this year is just a fluke.
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/oct/29/keegan_bottom_line_ku_unbeaten/?sports
By Tom Keegan

October 29, 2007

Nobody held a pity party for the Kansas University football program in 2006 when:

• Charles Gordon crippled the secondary by bolting to the NFL a year ahead of schedule.

• Safety Rodney Harris returned to the program, only to suffer a career-ending neck injury.

• Defensive tackle Eric Butler, projected to be a key contributor, lost an NCAA eligibility case, which ended his career.

• Darrell Stuckey, the safety who was going to add speed and sparkle, suffered an ankle injury that left him never quite up to full speed all season.

• Linebacker James Holt suffered a broken bone in his foot, missing several games and stripping him of needed experience.

• Kerry Meier, the quarterback who was going to stop the revolving door from spinning, went down with a shoulder injury, forcing Adam Barmann back into action.

• Linebacker Eric Washington, a starter, ended his career due to a neck injury in Nebraska.

As if all that wasn’t bad enough, KU couldn’t win the close ones. The Jayhawks lost in overtime to Toledo and Nebraska and fell from ahead in the second half in losses to Texas A&M, Oklahoma State and Baylor.

There’s no crying in college football, so all those bad breaks added up to one thing and one thing only: KU was a 6-6 football team that did not compete in a bowl game. Nobody cares how you get there. You are what your record says you are.

Over time, bad breaks tend to even out. In this case, it didn’t take much time.

Injuries? Other than Kendrick Harper, who missed the nonconference portion of the schedule, KU has been extremely healthy. (Harper, by the way, is quite an addition. As do Aqib Talib and Chris Harris, he certainly hits hard for a cornerback.)

The breaks went the right way on the scheduling front as well. Texas, Oklahoma and Texas Tech aren’t on it, not that it would be a stretch to believe KU could go 2-1 against that threesome. Nebraska has taken a big step backward under Bill Callahan and is having trouble stopping anyone.

What does the perfect storm of good fortune mean? Nothing. Kansas is 8-0 and ranked eighth in the nation, and that’s all that matters. KU still had to defeat three solid Big 12 teams (Kansas State, Colorado, and Texas A&M) to get two-thirds of the way through the regular season and halfway through the conference season unbeaten.

Still, every week Mark Mangino finds himself answering the same question: Is your team for real?

A nice answer would be: Are you for real or are you some absurd figment of my imagination?

Purdue and Penn State are the best teams Ohio State has beaten, and nobody’s asking Jim Tressel if the Buckeyes are for real.

Kansas won at Kansas State, which won at Texas. Kansas won at Colorado. Oklahoma lost there. Kansas won at Kyle Field. Nobody else has done that this season.

When Nebraska visits Memorial Stadium on Saturday, three weeks of pent-up excitement will be unleashed on the visitors by spectators wearing blue. If KU loses, nationally the story line will be that it finally came back down to earth, even though that wasn’t the angle when USC lost to Stanford. If KU wins, the coverage will center on Callahan’s career on life support.

Oh well, at least Kansas is catching the breaks where it counts.

DaKCMan AP
10-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Can't disagree with any of that, really.

ChiTown
10-29-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm a believer.

KU has a damn good team, although, I've already admitted that after I watched them kick KSU's ass in Manhattan. SOLID along both lines, which makes them an extremely difficult team to beat. Very well-coached, and a very disciplined team. They rarely give you any opportunities to take advantage of them. They don't have superior talent, but they are excellent tacticians that execute their game plan.

They are a fun team to watch, as painful as that is for me to admit.

Adept Havelock
10-29-2007, 10:11 AM
What difference does it make long-term?

It's all going to go down the tubes one day when Jabba the Coach keels over on the sideline from a coronary.

:p

That said, they do have a good squad.

jidar
10-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Anybody who doesn't think KU is legit hasn't watched them.
I'm not saying they're they best team or anything, but it's no lucky fluke, these hawks are playing good solid all around football in every phase.

Chief Chief
10-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Bottom line: KU unbeaten??

WOW! I did not know that!

Lzen
10-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Bottom line: KU unbeaten??

WOW! I did not know that!

Wow, thanks for that wonderful input. You must be a MU fan.

Frazod
10-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Here, have another cupcake.

Lzen
10-29-2007, 10:42 AM

We will on Nov. 24. :p

Frazod
10-29-2007, 10:43 AM

You mean at your "home game" in Missouri? I'm thinking not. :)

Lzen
10-29-2007, 10:47 AM
You mean at your "home game" in Missouri? I'm thinking not. :)

Is that all you got? ROFL

Arrowhead Stadium distance from Lawrence, KS - 48 miles
Arrowhead Stadium distance from Columbia, MO - 120 miles (2.5 times the distance)

ROYC75
10-29-2007, 10:49 AM

Thanks, that was yummy ! :p

ROYC75
10-29-2007, 10:50 AM

ROFL ROFL ROFL Rep ........

Frazod
10-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks, that was yummy ! :p

Glad you enjoyed it. Although I'd think you'd have had enough of them by now. :)

Frazod
10-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Is that all you got? ROFL

Arrowhead Stadium distance from Lawrence, KS - 48 miles
Arrowhead Stadium distance from Columbia, MO - 120 miles (2.5 times the distance)

We'll see who shouts down who that day. I'm personally good for at least three of you.

Titty Meat
10-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Anybody who doesn't think KU is legit hasn't watched them.
I'm not saying they're they best team or anything, but it's no lucky fluke, these hawks are playing good solid all around football in every phase.

Yea nearly giving away the game last week to a team thats falling apart is some great football! ROFL

Saulbadguy
10-29-2007, 11:11 AM
MU will be playing for pride that day, they won't have a shot at the North.

Lzen
10-29-2007, 11:14 AM
MU will be playing for pride that day, they won't have a shot at the North.

Are you saying they will lose to KSU? What else? At Boulder, too?

Saulbadguy
10-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Are you saying they will lose to KSU? What else? At Boulder, too?
Yep - calling my shot. They will lose both of those games.

HolyHandgernade
10-29-2007, 11:21 AM
We'll see who shouts down who that day. I'm personally good for at least three of you.

Hmmm...wasn't that the same rationale the South had in the Civil War:

"One Southern boy could whip any five Yankees!" :p

-HH

CoMoChief
10-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Good read and quite possibly a lot of that has truth to it but...........

MU is still gonna rock their ass at Arrowhead. I still say by 14 or more. Everyone write it down, put it in your sigs, I don't care.

ArrowheadHawk
10-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Good read and quite possibly a lot of that has truth to it but...........

MU is still gonna rock their ass at Arrowhead. I still say by 14 or more. Everyone write it down, put it in your sigs, I don't care.
hasn't ku beaten MU 3 outa the last 4?

Lzen
10-29-2007, 11:41 AM
hasn't ku beaten MU 3 outa the last 4?

It doesn't matter. MU is now a juggernaut under Chase Daniel. Not even the '85 Bears could slow down this year's MU offense.

Lzen - taking a page out of the Dole playbook

ArrowheadHawk
10-29-2007, 11:53 AM
all hail the mighty Tigers we should give up now.

Mr. Laz
10-29-2007, 12:02 PM
you said you were gonna stop saying this shite if KU beat aTm.

Frazod
10-29-2007, 12:11 PM
you said you were gonna stop saying this shite if KU beat aTm.

I lied. :moon:

Donger
10-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Heck, I didn't even know that KU had a football team. And I went to school there.

Frazod
10-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Heck, I didn't even know that KU had a football team. And I went to school there.

You and Skip have something in common. ROFL

Donger
10-29-2007, 12:15 PM
You and Skip have something in common. ROFL

Skip didn't know that they have a football team either?

Mr. Laz
10-29-2007, 12:15 PM
I lied. :moon:
:cuss:

typical moo moo

HypnotizedMonkey
10-29-2007, 12:16 PM
It's because Mangino has Han Solo and is blackmailing the Empire.

Frazod
10-29-2007, 12:20 PM
:cuss:

typical moo moo

I'm sorry dude.

Here, have another cupcake. :D

Saulbadguy
10-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Skip didn't know that they have a football team either?
Both. However, it seems you made good use out of your education, rather than becoming a satellite TV repairman.

sedated
10-29-2007, 12:27 PM
KU's D looked damn good against A&M.

and the O was nearly unstoppable in the 2nd half.

should have ended 28-3, if we made all the chip-shot field goals and not switched to prevent in garbage time

it adds some legitimacy, although apparently not as much as MU's loss to OU.

Al Bundy
10-29-2007, 12:28 PM
The MU-KU game is going to be a hell of a game, I do have a question though.. I have seen alot more KU Football "fans" around town lately, Before this year I had never seen any. Do all KU fans root for both basketball and football? Or do I suspect like KU in basketball and root for... say LSU in football?

Mr. Laz
10-29-2007, 12:30 PM
The MU-KU game is going to be a hell of a game, I do have a question though.. I have seen alot more KU Football "fans" around town lately, Before this year I had never seen any. Do all KU fans root for both basketball and football? Or do I suspect like KU in basketball and root for... say LSU in football?
we've always been around .... just nothing much to talk about.

Saulbadguy
10-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Most only care for basketball, but that is changing. It's like this message board, the ones that didn't care last year, are the mouthiest ones this year.

ChiTown
10-29-2007, 12:34 PM
KU's D looked damn good against A&M.

and the O was nearly unstoppable in the 2nd half.

should have ended 28-3, if we made all the chip-shot field goals and not switched to prevent in garbage time

it adds some legitimacy, although apparently not as much as MU's loss to OU.

Your "shoulda's" count and aTm's "coulda's" don't? Gotcha. :)

Truth be told, if you add up all the shoulda, woulda, coulda, the score should have been closer to 27-13. Still, ku dominated the 2nd half, much like they did in Manhattan & Boulder - that's a sign of a good team.

Donger
10-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Okay, this is terrible, but is KU's recently discovered football team also named 'Jayhawks"?

ChiTown
10-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Okay, this is terrible, but is KU's recently discovered football team also named 'Jayhawks"?

Did you have an interpreter to help you get through school?

Donger
10-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Did you have an interpreter to help you get through school?

No. I just didn't pay much attention to sports when I was there. I think that I walked past the football stadium every day, but I didn't know what sport was played in it.

Saulbadguy
10-29-2007, 12:47 PM
No. I just didn't pay much attention to sports when I was there. I think that I walked past the football stadium every day, but I didn't know what sport was played in it.
Are you still thinking of becoming a Broncos fan? That was probably the most ridiculous thing posted on this board.

Donger
10-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Are you still thinking of becoming a Broncos fan? That was probably the most ridiculous thing posted on this board.

Yes, at least on the surface, to make my son feel like we're not opponent fans. It's teaching me how to overcome powerful waves of nausea, too. The two Chiefs/Broncos' games should be interesting.

Saulbadguy
10-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Yes, at least on the surface, to make my son feel like we're not opponent fans. It's teaching me how to overcome powerful waves of nausea, too. The two Chiefs/Broncos' games should be interesting.
That's hilarious.

ChiTown
10-29-2007, 12:57 PM

:eek:

That's...................................just.................................wrong!

Anyong Bluth
10-29-2007, 01:05 PM

No doubt there are going to be bandwagon fans. It's a two fold issue. KU football has hardly been on TV, and so it tough for some alum to see them unless they are close to the area.

I'm a huge football fan, and have followed the team for a long time. The resurfacing of the fans might also have to do with how pathetic Terry Allen sunk KU to. When I started KU in fall of '98, there was still a decent amount of interest in the football team, and remember the KU-Mizzou game was the televised on ABC in the afternoon slot. Glen Mason had gotten the program rolling, but left, and people thought Allen would come in and cont. to get the program rolling. No dice, they sucked.

I would still follow the team and went to games, I remember standing in the freezing rain in 98 against KSU, which sucked b/c I got dropped off from being in KC for my dad's bday the night before, and only had a long sleeve shirt. Soaked and Cold as hell, I still watched.

The last few years the season ticket holder have boomed and the crowds are there, but, yeah I'd say there are surely some people taking notice that didn't before.

HolyHandgernade
10-29-2007, 01:14 PM

I've just always rooted for KU, the difference this year is that they are a little something more to root for. When I attended, I got the season tickets every year and went to most of the games I could. They weren't exactly stellar those years either, but I cheered them. So, its very nice to see their success now.

-HH

Lzen
10-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Both. However, it seems you made good use out of your education, rather than becoming a satellite TV repairman.

ROFL Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark. ROFL

Lzen
10-29-2007, 01:23 PM

Honestly, I am sad to say there are some fans that are only KU hoops fans. However, there are plenty of KU football fans. Have been for a long time. We just really couldn't be proud of our team due to the fact that Terry Allen fielded an embarrassment. It's kind of like Lin Elliot. Chiefs fans don't even like to hear that name mentioned. KU fans would prefer to just forget TA was ever KU's coach.

Before that, Glen Mason was a decent coach. He just was not able to recruit much talent. Under Mason, Kansas football was up and down from year to year. I truly believe that he should have left after 1995 like he originally planned. I think him staying on and then leaving anyway the next year helped set KU back.

Of course, the new AD has really made football and emphasis. That is probably the biggest thing. KU is really trying to do things to make football matter. Frankly, I liked Mangino's Jayhawks before this year, but I still wasn't sure about his abilities. This year has proven that the man can coach as well as spot talent. Hopefully, this run will help recruiting in the future. I don't want to see any more QB injuries ruining a season. Get some quality depth and these won't be such huge issues.

Sry for the rant. I could go on all day. ;)

Silock
10-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Most only care for basketball, but that is changing. It's like this message board, the ones that didn't care last year, are the mouthiest ones this year.

Admittedly, it's hard to get yourself hyped up every year for a KU football team that has, as of late, been consistently atrocious. It seemed as though the KU athletic director said "We're a basketball school only." When the school isn't making any solid effort to make their football team better, it's hard to root for them.

When they suck so bad that you can't catch the game on TV, that also makes it hard to root for them.

It's kinda like being a Royals fan. Sure, it was great 25 years ago, but when they stopped caring about competing, I nearly stopped caring to be a fan.

I love my school, though. So, I'll cheer for any kind of national title. Even if we win women's curling.

Lzen
10-29-2007, 01:25 PM

I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that a college educated person is asking questions such as this one.

Lzen
10-29-2007, 01:26 PM
:eek:

That's...................................just.................................wrong!

CoMoChief II?

sedated
10-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Your "shoulda's" count and aTm's "coulda's" don't? Gotcha. :)

what were A&M's coulda's?

they didn't move the ball in the 2nd half. didn't they have, like, 7 straight 3-and-outs?

I didn't see them missing 30 yard field goals all night.

teedubya
10-29-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm a believer.

KU has a damn good team, although, I've already admitted that after I watched them kick KSU's ass in Manhattan. SOLID along both lines, which makes them an extremely difficult team to beat. Very well-coached, and a very disciplined team. They rarely give you any opportunities to take advantage of them. They don't have superior talent, but they are excellent tacticians that execute their game plan.

They are a fun team to watch, as painful as that is for me to admit.

Don't feel bad, my business partner, who is a diehard KStater, said essentially the same thing. That KU is a damn fun team to watch. That has to be hard for a Wildcat to say. heh.

Classy, regardless.

teedubya
10-29-2007, 05:23 PM

and its teaching him, to have neither honor nor loyalty.

Good job, Dad. Wishy washy beeatch.