PDA

View Full Version : KISZLA - Shanahan losing his play-calling nerve

Hammock Parties
10-30-2007, 12:45 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7317484

Shanahan losing his play-calling nerve

By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post

After all these years with the Broncos, is coach Mike Shanahan bankrupt of new ideas?

On a Monday night when the whole country saw our local heroes are not ready for prime time, Denver lost to Green Bay 19-13 on such a heart-stopping touchdown pass in overtime by Packers legend Brett Favre that it felt like sudden death for any dreams of a Super Bowl that had been entertained by Broncomaniacs.

"It's a tough one to lose," Shanahan said.

But the truth is: With Denver trailing by three points and a golden opportunity to win the game in the final seconds of regulation, Shanahan lost his nerve.

That's not the innovative, gutsy Denver coach we remember as brighter than the diamonds in a championship ring.

The creeping middle-age conservatism in Shanahan is causing Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler to lose his faith, not to mention his temper.

Cutler groused he is being asked way too often why this Denver red-zone offense too often plays out like a meek game of Mother, may I?

"We talk about this every week," a grumpy Cutler complained.

Can't blame the guy for being ticked. Nothing ever changes.

Rather than place the game in the strong arm of Cutler on third down with the football resting at the 4-yard line and 22 seconds showing on the scoreboard clock, Shanahan called a conservative quarterback draw, hoping to fool the Packers' defense.

It was a play that might have worked 15 years ago, when John Elway was quarterback of the Broncos.

But anyone who believes that asking Cutler to imitate the legendary No. 7 is unfair had to be offended at the decision.

Cutler should have been given the run/pass option that a rollout play would have allowed.

Instead, the draw play left the young quarterback with nowhere to run or hide, and Cutler stumbled, failing to gain so much as a yard.

So Denver place-kicker Jason Elam and his Keystone Cops were forced to scurry helter-skelter and boot a field goal that meekly tied the game at 13-13 on the final play of regulation.

The Broncos never saw the football again, with Favre adding a fresh coat of bronze on the statue that awaits him in Canton, by firing an 82-yard TD strike to Greg Jennings on the first snap of overtime.

Denver cornerback Dré Bly admitted he never saw the lightning bolt from the gray-bearded NFL god that hit him. Old Favre remains so stupid good, the veteran can make even a shutdown corner look like an oxymoron.

"Anytime you're 1-4 in the red zone against a team that's 5-1 and playing pretty well, it's hard to win those types of football games," said Shanahan, now coaching as if he does not completely trust his players.

With 8 minutes, 25 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter and Denver behind 13-10, the Broncos faced a fourth down at Green Bay's 37-yard line, needing to gain six to keep the drive alive.

Remember when Shanahan had the offensive weapons and gambling spirit that made defenses sweat in precisely such tense situations?

"The wind was blowing, and it's a 55-yard (field goal)," explained Shanahan, "and I'm saying, 'Hey, that's when the percentages are going the other way."'

So he punted.

Shanahan, once the most fearless offensive genius in the game, did not even consider letting his quarterback throw the football on fourth down.

That's sad. The Broncos have become the same play-the-percentages, hope-and-pray, no-risk, no-reward team that makes parity just another word for mediocrity in the language of the NFL.

With leading receiver Javon Walker and top rusher Travis Henry both injured, Shanahan wore a bad poker face on national TV. Every time he inspected his offensive options, the coach looked like he wanted to fold his play card. And rip it to shreds. And stomp on it.

With a record of 3-4 and a tough road ahead, the Broncos can no longer play it safe.

This is a Denver team that's going to tax all the gray matter in Shanahan's beautiful football mind merely to avoid the red-faced embarrassment of a lost season.

tk13
10-30-2007, 12:49 PM
I thought that QB draw on 3rd down was crazy... I don't know what he was thinking there... almost cost them the game in regulation. I don't think that was a conservative play at all.

HonestChieffan
10-30-2007, 12:50 PM
He knows his boy Cutler isnt up to it.

dirk digler
10-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Good article. I honestly think it is time for Shanahan to either step aside or be fired he has lost his edge. He has been with this team way too long and maybe he needs a fresh place to start over again

Hammock Parties
10-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Good article. I honestly think it is time for Shanahan to either step aside or be fired he has lost his edge. He has been with this team way too long and maybe he needs a fresh place to start over again

Maybe he could be our OC!!! With Trent Green as QB coach we would then be unstoppable!

siberian khatru
10-30-2007, 01:01 PM
The Hermification of the Broncos begins ...

morphius
10-30-2007, 01:06 PM
When they lined up for their final play I was yelling at the TV, "Watch the QB Sneak!!!". I'm just glad the D heard me, hehe.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Denver is finally realizing what Elway meant to them, or even Plummer for that matter. Friggin losers!

InChiefsHeaven
10-30-2007, 01:18 PM
I was definitely scratching my head on that 3rd down play with no time outs left...

...I mean, roll out, if it's there run for it or throw it, or throw it away. Then you don't have to make the mad dash scramble to get your players out for the FG attempt...fuggin' Donks better thank their lucky stars for Elam...guy is just ridiculous.

I was yelling at the TV at the Packers going "Lay down on the guy for a few seconds!" That's all it would have taken. That just did not look like the Donks that we know...Shanahan did look pretty stupid there...

DaKCMan AP
10-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Cutler fumbling the snap on the 1 yard line in the 1st half could have had some effect on playcalls.

Demonpenz
10-30-2007, 02:07 PM
I didn't think the broncos were set a full second. I liked the Draw call. cutler just slipped

the Talking Can
10-30-2007, 02:12 PM
they're rebuilding...

InChiefsHeaven
10-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Cutler fumbling the snap on the 1 yard line in the 1st half could have had some effect on playcalls.

Could be, but it wasn't really his fault, the left guard slapped the ball away while pulling...weird play indeed...

Extra Point
10-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Come to KC, Cutler. You'll be the meat in the sh*t sandwich.

Boon
10-30-2007, 03:11 PM
No vaseline, no win.
It's that simple.
They gotta cheat to win

Mile High Mania
10-30-2007, 03:17 PM

The lineman knocked it out of Cutler's hands, I don't think it was a pure knuckle-headed fumble... doesn't make it any less meaningful, that was a huge time for them to put up 7.

It's a young team... and while all Denver fans were overly excited in the preseason, the reality is the team is really young and really new at too many spots to be consistently good right now.

Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler ... all 2nd year guys.

Young is a rookie and when you count Tatum, Mike and Travis... he's the 4th RB to start a game for them in Cutler's 12 starts.

Stokely is new, very nice addition, but he isn't supposed to be the #2 option and with Walker out... that is what he has been.

The OLINE has a new look thanks to injuries (Nalen, Hamilton, Lepsis periodically).

The DLINE is completely new and young now for the most part.

There just isn't anything consistent right now and with a young QB, you're going to get what they have ... a team that can move the ball, get lots of yards, but fail in the red zone.

Despite all of this - they had two shots to jump ahead and win this one last night and they failed. They've lost too many at home... they're rebuilding.

So, I've accepted it and I'm fine with it, I'm going to enjoy the rest of the season now... my expectations for guys to get healthy and mature in the process.

I like what the future holds, but the remainder of this year will be tough... so, I'll just sit back and let whatever happens happen.

Ok, my confessional is over.

Boon
10-30-2007, 03:21 PM
The lineman knocked it out of Cutler's hands, I don't think it was a pure knuckle-headed fumble... doesn't make it any less meaningful, that was a huge time for them to put up 7.

It's a young team... and while all Denver fans were overly excited in the preseason, the reality is the team is really young and really new at too many spots to be consistently good right now.

Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler ... all 2nd year guys.

Young is a rookie and when you count Tatum, Mike and Travis... he's the 4th RB to start a game for them in Cutler's 12 starts.

Stokely is new, very nice addition, but he isn't supposed to be the #2 option and with Walker out... that is what he has been.

The OLINE has a new look thanks to injuries (Nalen, Hamilton, Lepsis periodically).

The DLINE is completely new and young now for the most part.

There just isn't anything consistent right now and with a young QB, you're going to get what they have ... a team that can move the ball, get lots of yards, but fail in the red zone.

Despite all of this - they had two shots to jump ahead and win this one last night and they failed. They've lost too many at home... they're rebuilding.

So, I've accepted it and I'm fine with it, I'm going to enjoy the rest of the season now... my expectations for guys to get healthy and mature in the process.

I like what the future holds, but the remainder of this year will be tough... so, I'll just sit back and let whatever happens happen.

Ok, my confessional is over.

You skipped the cheating part.

WilliamTheIrish
10-30-2007, 04:51 PM
He was given the 'genius' label while having 3 HOF offensive play makers.
Now, his facade is being chiseled away by those who built it.

Mile High Mania
10-30-2007, 05:09 PM
He was given the 'genius' label while having 3 HOF offensive play makers.
Now, his facade is being chiseled away by those who built it.

So, you vote for Davis in the HOF? Great.

Adept Havelock
10-30-2007, 05:12 PM

Rod Smith, maybe.

TD? ROFL

Halfcan
10-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Hey GC-how about posting the Favre TD in OT??

I didn't get to see it.

WilliamTheIrish
10-30-2007, 05:38 PM

Yep. Although what you brought up was tangential to the conversation. I believe Davis will be/deserves to be voted in to the HOF.

Now, back to the genius thing. He couldn't get over the hump with Elway and Sharpe. Then along comes an afterthought of a draft pick who turns out to be pure gold.

Presto! 'Genius'.

Mile High Mania
10-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Yep. Although what you brought up was tangential to the conversation. I believe Davis will be/deserves to be voted in to the HOF.

Now, back to the genius thing. He couldn't get over the hump with Elway and Sharpe. Then along comes an afterthought of a draft pick who turns out to be pure gold.

Presto! 'Genius'.

Well, that was all in his first year as HC, correct? Shanahan took over in 1995.... Davis was drafted in 1995. So, they got over that hump together.

Shanahan took Elway, Sharpe and some good players... mixed in a nice batch of FAs, unknown RFAs like Rod Smith, the likes of Davis and then the magic happened.

It's been a long 10 years to many, but Denver fans had waited a long time prior to that for those late 90 seasons. I sat through the 80s and early 90s and the early Shanahan years were great.

This last decade hasn't been too terribly horrible.

WilliamTheIrish
10-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Better that the last decade for my squad for sure.

Bronko1977
10-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Easy for Queef fan to laugh at the play call after all the times Elway killed you with the shotgun draw in the red zone. EAT IT BITCHES!

stevieray
10-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Easy for Queef fan to laugh at the play call after all the times Elway killed you with the shotgun draw in the red zone. EAT IT BITCHES!

pardon me, do you need a tissue?

TEX
10-30-2007, 07:59 PM
The CHEATING DONX are so NOT ready for prime time - yet they have another home prime time game two weeks from now. That will make 3 home prime time game (1 Sunday and 2 Monday) appearances up to that point. The most in the league - for what? :shake:

TEX
10-30-2007, 08:01 PM

Mr. Ed's gone fool - deal with it. 3-4 and counting (after playing 5 home games) ... ROFL

InChiefsHeaven
10-31-2007, 06:23 AM
The CHEATING DONX are so NOT ready for prime time - yet they have another home prime time game two weeks from now. That will make 3 home prime time game (1 Sunday and 2 Monday) appearances up to that point. The most in the league - for what? :shake:

Honestly, this is my biggest problem this season...why in THE HELL did the Donks get so much love...3 prime time home games? You'd assume that a team with that kind of coverage went to the playoffs...but no, not so much...

...I'm guessing the NFL experts were wearing the same rose colored glasses as the Donk fans when they made up this schedule. Now it seems the emperor has no clothes...

No matter what happens to the Chiefs, any season where the Donks crash and burn is a good season. I'm hoping their trend of suckage continues... :thumb:

donkhater
10-31-2007, 06:55 AM
Honestly, this is my biggest problem this season...why in THE HELL did the Donks get so much love...3 prime time home games? You'd assume that a team with that kind of coverage went to the playoffs...but no, not so much...

...I'm guessing the NFL experts were wearing the same rose colored glasses as the Donk fans when they made up this schedule. Now it seems the emperor has no clothes...

I had that problem when KC wouldn't get prime time games much in the DV era. Say what you will about how good those teams were, they were at least entertaining to watch and no matter which team got up big, you could rely on KC's defense and offense to keep the game close.

Herm's Chiefs? I gotta admit, if I weren't a fan of the team, I wouldn't want to showcase them on primetime either. It's a pretty boring team.

InChiefsHeaven
10-31-2007, 07:47 AM
I had that problem when KC wouldn't get prime time games much in the DV era. Say what you will about how good those teams were, they were at least entertaining to watch and no matter which team got up big, you could rely on KC's defense and offense to keep the game close.

Herm's Chiefs? I gotta admit, if I weren't a fan of the team, I wouldn't want to showcase them on primetime either. It's a pretty boring team.

That's true I guess. I was thinking about the record at the end of the season, and how the hell does a playoff team get ONE primetime game while the team that came in 3rd gets 3? The Donks probably give more upside on the "interesting to watch" factor I guess...