Direckshun
10-30-2007, 01:37 PM
I cannot wait to beat the Pack.

Mr. Laz
10-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Power Rankings: It's No. 1 Pats vs. No. 2 Colts

By Mike McAllister
ESPN.com

So it's finally here. No. 1 Pats vs. No. 2 Colts. Will the Pats win Sunday's showdown and continue to reign atop the Power Rankings? Or will the Colts win to force a change (we presume) at the top next week?Up to this point, it's easy to pinpoint which team has been more impressive. Or is it?

Yes, the Patriots are obliterating opponents, winning by an average margin of 25.5 points. Yes, they're on so many record paces that we can't keep up with them all. Yes, we could be watching the greatest single-season performance in the history of the NFL.

But consider what the Colts have done. They've won all seven of their games -- against statistically better opposition than the Pats -- despite their all-time leading receiver, Marvin Harrison, scoring just one touchdown. Who would've predicted that going into this season?

Harrison has missed two games with a bruised left knee and hasn't produced that low a TD total in the first seven games since his rookie season in 1996. But Reggie Wayne, who is averaging only two fewer receiving yards a game than Randy Moss this season, has picked up the slack.

While it's hard to ignore what Tom Brady & Co. have done through the air, they've also done it against some of the worst pass defenses in the league (five of their opponents currently rank in the bottom seven in the league in passing yards allowed, albeit thanks in part to getting shelled by the Pats).

So should we be dazzled by the gaudy numbers the Pats are putting up, or should we appreciate the grittiness displayed by the Colts? Of course, we can do both -- and then wait for Sunday's outcome to tell us which one should have more influence on the Rankings.

BIGGEST RISE: Cleveland Browns from 19th to 13th. BIGGEST DROP: Carolina Panthers from 12th to 18th.

(Editor's note: LW indicates each team's ranking last week.)

2007 Power Rankings: Week 9
RK (LW) TEAM REC COMMENT
1 (1) Patriots 8-0-0 The issue for us is not running up the score -- it's risking Tom Brady's health during times when the game no longer is in doubt. Bill Belichick may be the best coach in the league, but that sure seems like a stupid, stubborn move.

2 (2) Colts 7-0-0 Win or lose on Sunday, the Colts suspect this will be the first of two against the Pats. "We will see New England twice this season," Dwight Freeney told the Indy Star. Presumably, No. 2 will be the AFC title game.

3 (3) Cowboys 6-1-0 That Week 10 matchup against the Giants looms large -- and that makes Sunday's contest against the Eagles even more difficult from a focus standpoint. The Cowboys are just 1-7 in their last eight games in Philly.

4 (5) Packers 6-1-0 The first time Brett Favre's Packers started a season 6-1, they won the Super Bowl. The second time, they lost in the first round of the playoffs. We're thinking somewhere in between this season.

5 (4) Giants 6-2-0 Perhaps on any other day, Eli Manning's low passing totals (8-of-22, 59 yards) on Sunday would've meant a defeat. But this was rainy London, the opponents were the woeful Dolphins and the Giants just can't seem to lose right now.

6 (6) Steelers 5-2-0 The AFC North-leading Steelers can really put some separation between themselves and the rest of the division in the next two weeks with home games against the Ravens (next Monday) and Browns.

7 (9) Chargers 4-3-0 Was there ever any doubt that the emotionally charged Chargers would win for the beleaguered home folks on Sunday? Of course it helps that San Diego's on a roll. The Chargers have won their last three by a combined 77 points.

8 (7) Jaguars 5-2-0 Who figured that the first backup quarterback ever to beat Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin would be the Jags' Quinn Gray? Of course, the Jags didn't ask Gray to do much; they opened with 14 consecutive running plays.

9 (8) Titans 5-2-0 The Titans are winning the close, low-scoring games. That's good for building character but bad for an offense that can't seem to produce many points. "As an offense, we have to get it together," Vince Young told The Tennessean.

10 (11) Lions 5-2-0 Who wants Matt Millen fired now? For the first time in his tenure, the Lions have started out 5-2. They've swept the Bears and are 3-0 in the division. But they still must face the Packers twice in the final six weeks.

11 (13) Chiefs 4-3-0 Defensive end Jared Allen has eight sacks, just one behind NFL leader Trent Cole of the Eagles. Only two Chiefs have ever led the league in sacks -- Derrick Thomas in 1990 (20 sacks) and Neil Smith in 1993 (15 sacks).

12 (15) Seahawks 4-3-0 Expect the Seahawks' offense to get a jump start this week against the Browns. Starting wide receivers Deion Branch and D.J. Hackett are expected back from injuries. Hackett hasn't played since the opener.

13 (19) Browns 4-3-0 The Browns' last two wins have come against the league's two winless teams, but who cares? It's the first time since 2003 that Cleveland has won two straight games. At 4-3, the Browns are over .500 for the first time in Romeo Crennel's tenure.

14 (14) Ravens 4-3-0 In case you're trying to get over a Colts-Pats hangover, the Ravens' Monday nighter at Pittsburgh is a critical AFC North battle. With two weeks to prepare, perhaps Brian Billick can come up with some fresh wrinkles for the offense.

15 (10) Redskins 4-3-0 Until Sunday's 52-7 loss to New England, the Redskins had not allowed 50 or more points since 1961 (to the Giants, 53-0). "We got utterly embarrassed in every facet of the football game," LB London Fletcher told the Washington Post.

16 (17) Broncos 3-4-0 Champ Bailey and Dre' Bly have nine Pro Bowl appearances between them and are supposed to give the Broncos the best pair of corners in the AFC, if not the entire league. Could've fooled us on Monday.

17 (16) Buccaneers 4-4-0 Veteran WR Ike Hilliard took the blame for the 24-23 loss to the Jags after failing to latch onto a pass that was intercepted in the final minute. "It's nobody's fault but mine," Hilliard told the Tampa Tribune.

18 (12) Panthers 4-3-0 All four Panthers wins this season have been on the road; all three losses have come at home. In fact, Carolina has lost five straight at home dating back to last season, and is now 49-50 at home since joining the league in 1995.

19 (24) Saints 3-4-0 After their 0-4 start, the Saints have won three straight and are now just one game behind the division-leading Panthers. "You know, we're on a little bit of a roll here," Reggie Bush told the Times-Picayune.

20 (22) Eagles 3-4-0 QB Donovan McNabb's knee must be feel better. On Sunday, the Eagles called a designed running play for McNabb for the first time this season. "He's getting better every week," coach Andy Reid said.

21 (20) Cardinals 3-4-0 The Cardinals have played 105 minutes of first-quarter football this season ... and have exactly two field goals to show for it. Penalties and turnovers are partly to blame; five of the Cards' 16 turnovers have come in the first quarter.

22 (25) Bills 3-4-0 Don't get too excited about J.P. Losman's performance in relief of an injured Trent Edwards on Sunday. Yes, he had the 85-yard TD pass to Lee Evans, but that ball was underthrown and should've been picked off.

23 (18) Bears 3-5-0 The Bears' playoff hopes don't look good, but the 3-5 start is not insurmountable. Ten teams in NFL history have made the playoffs after starting out 3-5, but Brian Griese (38.3 passer rating Sunday) will need to improve.

24 (21) Texans 3-5-0 How bad has it gotten in Houston? Even the long-snapper is making mistakes. For the first time in 599 career snaps, Bryan Pittman botched a special-teams snap, leading to an easy San Diego touchdown.

25 (23) Bengals 2-5-0 The Bengals enter Sunday's game at Buffalo having lost eight straight to the Bills. Cincy's last win came in the 1988 AFC title game, leading to a Super Bowl appearance. We're pretty sure a win Sunday won't lead to the same.

26 (26) Vikings 2-5-0 Jeff George -- yes, 39-year-old Jeff George -- is intrigued by the Vikings' offense and wants to come back, according to the St. Paul Pioneer Press. One problem: George hasn't thrown an NFL pass since 2001. Hey, is this April 1?

27 (27) Raiders 2-5-0 The Raiders were hit with 14 penalties for 100 yards in the loss to Tennessee. Of those 14 penalties, 11 were committed by the offense -- eight by the offensive line (six false starts, two holding calls).

28 (28) 49ers 2-5-0 The 49ers have lost five straight and now play four of their next five on the road, making it difficult to keep a positive outlook. The 49ers could be officially eliminated before their three-game homestand to end the season.

29 (29) Falcons 1-6-0 DeAngelo Hall, who has been fined $100K this season for being critical of rookie coach Bobby Petrino, said the only time he'll talk to the media the rest of this season is after games. Bad for us; good for Hall's bank account.

30 (30) Jets 1-7-0 It's official: Chad Pennington is out, and Kellen Clemens is in as the starting QB. The Jets had to make the move, not because it will save the season (too late for that), but to see if they need to draft another QB.

31 (31) Rams 0-8-0 Better play out of the offense made the Rams more competitive on Sunday ... but they still lost to the Browns. The bye week should allow Steven Jackson to fully recover from his groin injury.

32 (32) Dolphins 0-8-0 Perhaps in the wet, chewed-up turf at Wembley Stadium, the Dolphins found a suitable replacement for Ronnie Brown. Jesse Chatman ran for 79 yards on 16 carries and had the longest play of the game, a 22-yard run.

Thig Lyfe
10-30-2007, 01:47 PM
WE ROCK! WAHOO!

Mr. Flopnuts
10-30-2007, 01:50 PM
I don't know what surprises me more. The fact that they have us as the 2nd best 4-3 team in the league, or that the one ahead of us lost to us by 14 points in their own house. They're and idiots.

donkhater
10-30-2007, 01:55 PM
While my first reaction was that #11 was pretty generous for this team, I'm not particulary impressd with any team that comes after them either.

Frazod
10-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Even Prisco was kind this week - he ranked us at 11. :eek:

And Fox has us at 10.

Holy shit. I don't think I'd rank us that high.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Even Prisco was kind this week - he ranked us at 11. :eek:

And Fox has us at 10.

Holy shit. I don't think I'd rank us that high.

Me neither. As donkhater stated though, who below us deserves to be ranked higher? This seems like a year of the haves and have nots. If we can win the division, and win a playoff game, it's a success from my chair.

Frazod
10-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Me neither. As donkhater stated though, who below us deserves to be ranked higher? This seems like a year of the haves and have nots. If we can win the division, and win a playoff game, it's a success from my chair.

I guess that's right. I just looked at the lists - I can't think of anyone listed below us that's really better.

There may be parity in college football this year, but not the NFL. Interesting flip-flop there.

the Talking Can
10-30-2007, 02:10 PM
3 of our 4 wins are against 2-5 teams...no one can complain about them ranking us 11....seems a bit generous, to be honest...until you look at the rest of the teams....

Eleazar
10-30-2007, 02:12 PM
We'll naturally gravitate downwards a bit in those as we head towards 8-8.

Molitoth
10-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Sorry if repost!

Looks like Detroit and Tennessee rank a little better. :rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?season=2007&week=9

I do not think Tennessee is Better then the Chiefs, but the Lions sure as hell are.

Adept Havelock
10-30-2007, 02:31 PM
11? Consider me pleasantly surprised.

16 (17) Broncos 3-4-0 Champ Bailey and Dre' Bly have nine Pro Bowl appearances between them and are supposed to give the Broncos the best pair of corners in the AFC, if not the entire league. Could've fooled us on Monday.

ROFL

In all fairness, Richard Night-Train Lane couldn't be an effective DB for Denver considering the 2002 Chiefs-esque pass rush they generate.

OnTheWarpath15
10-30-2007, 02:34 PM
I do not think Tennessee is Better then the Chiefs, but the Lions sure as hell are.

Until proven otherwise, Tennessee is better than us.

They have a better record, and play in the toughest division in the league.

kstater
10-30-2007, 02:43 PM
How in the world does Denver move up by losing again.

Hydrae
10-30-2007, 02:44 PM
It's the first time since 2003 that Cleveland has won two straight games.

Things like this make me glad to have fallen in love with the Chiefs years ago instead of some of these other teams. ROFL

Direckshun
10-30-2007, 02:47 PM
How in the world does Denver move up by losing again.
ROFL

CupidStunt
10-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Packers #4... an impressive win should move us up and garner decent respect. A win - unimpressively, barely or Bronco-style by the skin of our teeth - should at least keep us where we are and verify we're not a complete fraud.

StcChief
10-31-2007, 11:23 AM
16 (17) Broncos 3-4-0 Champ Bailey and Dre' Bly have nine Pro Bowl appearances between them and are supposed to give the Broncos the best pair of corners in the AFC, if not the entire league. Could've fooled us on Monday.Bly sucks got his props with 99 Rams

I called BS when I first heard it. Law/Surtain much better tandem.

Pablo
10-31-2007, 09:39 PM
The last power rankings that came out the week before this one moved the Chargers up on a bye week and I was skeptical that the Chiefs would be given the same treatment. I was wrong though, ESPN may not be total effing tards. 11 surprised me as well, and I whole-heartedly agree that every team ahead of us should be, except the Chargers. They're just media sweethearts. Oh my gosh, those poor Chargers in Southern Cal..I feel so bad for them, let's just bump them even further ahead of the team that destroyed them at home again. Lame.

acesn8s
10-31-2007, 09:47 PM
San Diego 7
Chiefs 11

Didn't KC beat their ass at their place or am I wrong...again

beach tribe
10-31-2007, 09:49 PM
We could beat them again, and still not be ahead of them.

acesn8s
10-31-2007, 09:54 PM
We could beat them again, and still not be ahead of them.Always beating and never getting a head :shake:

beer bacon
11-01-2007, 02:15 AM
Denver by no means has an exceptional pass rush, but you act like they are the worst in the NFL.. They are ranked 8th out of 16 AFC teams in sacks. They also have Elvis Dumervil which is a huge feather in their cap. Next time do some research before lying out of your teeth.

They get some sacks, but they don't get much pressure. The Mane was extremely frustrated with the lack of a pass rush against Green Bay.

|Zach|
11-01-2007, 02:33 AM
Their pass rush could use some improvement, but their real nemesis is stopping the run. When you have 8 men in the box to help the porous run defense, the cornerbacks are standing out there naked on an island. It's hard to expect them to win all of their battles on the outside. Denver's defensive woes start with their inability to stop the run.
That guy Grant who notched 100 yards on the Broncos? My friend couldn't even pick him up in his fantasy league thats how unknown he was.

People around the country are frantically typing in Google search boxes so they can figure out what guy came off the street to dominate Denver's defense.

ROFL

The Red Sea
11-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Awww memories....

going into week 3...

31 (30) Chiefs 0-2-0 After the loss to Chicago, Tony Gonzalez told the media: 'It's not OK to be 0-2. There's no silver lining. It's not clicking. It's not working. Something has to be done. ... I'm at a loss for words right now.' Could've fooled us.

At that time I wouldve taken the 25th spot.
Now in a few rankings were 10th-13th.

I think we go 2-2 thenext 4 games I'll be curious where we stand at that time.
I'm thinking 14th if we do.

Adept Havelock
11-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Their pass rush could use some improvement, but their real nemesis is stopping the run. When you have 8 men in the box to help the porous run defense, the cornerbacks are standing out there naked on an island. It's hard to expect them to win all of their battles on the outside. Denver's defensive woes start with their inability to stop the run.

What can I say? You're right. You guys suck at defending the run and generating a pass rush. :shrug:

When Brett Favre has enough time to take the snap, scan the defense, place an order for takeout, read a playbook supplement, whittle a knicknack, and scan downfield again before worrying about the pass rush, you have more problems than your soft-serve run defense IMO.

The "greatest CB duo EVAH!" can't handle being on an island? Poor babies. Let me get you some cheese for that.

The reason the Donks pass stats look decent is no team really has had much of a reason to pass against that eiderdown soft front seven.

Thus:

bobbything
11-01-2007, 09:47 AM
The issue for us is not running up the score -- it's risking Tom Brady's health during times when the game no longer is in doubt. Bill Belichick may be the best coach in the league, but that sure seems like a stupid, stubborn move.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

beach tribe
11-01-2007, 10:16 AM
BUT BUT BUT your corners are shutdown corners. They are supposed to be able to be left on an island, but they can't so they are not shutdown corners. Deon was a SD corner. The word is a little over used these days.

Adept Havelock
11-01-2007, 10:23 AM
BUT BUT BUT your corners are shutdown corners. They are supposed to be able to be left on an island, but they can't so they are not shutdown corners. Deon was a SD corner. The word is a little over used these days.

Deion was a shutdown CB in coverage, but he didn't like to tackle.

In his prime (and a surprising number of years after that) Darrell Green...there was a prototype shutdown corner.

In all fairness, the rules have been tilted to favor the WR's, but that's not the only reason old Eddie K. Torches Champ Bailey at least once or twice a game everytime we play. :)

"Bob" Dobbs
11-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Always beating and never getting a head :shake:Story of my life. Oh wait, we're talking football. Never mind.

Chief Pote
11-01-2007, 10:41 AM

The Lions will begin their decline....this week.

Adept Havelock
11-01-2007, 10:44 AM

The Day Care folks let you send PM's and rep folks too? Your parents must be so proud of their little tyke. So advanced at such a tender age.

http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/6/11/1/f_Dumbassbronm_44be537.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/6/11/1/f_Dumbassbronm_44be537.png&srv=img34)

ROFL LMAO

Yeah, I'm terrified of internet tough guys. Whatever shall I do?

What's the matter? Didn't you get a juice box with your morning snack?

Or are you just pissed because they put you in time out and made you take an extra naptime for being so cranky?

Take it as a warning, kids. Don't let the big boys on the bus push you around and take your lunch money, or you might end up just like Bronko1977. ;)

Gonzo
11-01-2007, 12:38 PM
The Day Care folks let you send PM's and rep folks too? Your parents must be so proud of their little tyke. So advanced at such a tender age.

http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/6/11/1/f_Dumbassbronm_44be537.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/6/11/1/f_Dumbassbronm_44be537.png&srv=img34)

ROFL LMAO

Yeah, I'm terrified of internet tough guys. Whatever shall I do?

What's the matter? Didn't you get a juice box with your morning snack?

Or are you just pissed because they put you in time out and made you take an extra naptime for being so cranky?

Take it as a warning, kids. Don't let the big boys on the bus push you around and take your lunch money, or you might end up just like Bronko1977. ;)

Fricken typical Bronco fan.... :rolleyes: ROFL

Adept Havelock
11-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Fricken typical Bronco fan.... :rolleyes: ROFL

It's just another little temper tantrum from LB52 or whatever the hell his banned 'nym is. :)

FWIW- I really can't see Milehigh, Garcia Bronco, Cleveland Bronco or vailpass pulling something that childish.

Gonzo
11-02-2007, 01:04 PM
It's just another little temper tantrum from LB52 or whatever the hell his banned 'nym is. :)

FWIW- I really can't see Milehigh, Garcia Bronco, Cleveland Bronco or vailpass pulling something that childish.

Look at what this douche rep'd me with:

Gonzo: Pee Wee Herman as your avatar? That alone deserves an ass kicking. I hope your mom gets raped.

What an ass. :shake:

kstater
11-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Look at what this douche rep'd me with:

Gonzo: Pee Wee Herman as your avatar? That alone deserves an ass kicking. I hope your mom gets raped.

What an ass. :shake:

I guess I got off easy.

Green rep(whatever that means) "Deal with it punk."

Adept Havelock
11-02-2007, 01:12 PM
I guess I got of easy.

Well, when you spend your school years getting your lunch money taken away like Bronko1977 did, I guess that's how you deal with the shame. ROFL

Frazod
11-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Well, when you spend your school years getting your lunch money taken away like Bronko1977 did, I guess that's how you deal with the shame. ROFL

Ah, I see BelowAverage is up to his old tricks again. This cycle has been ongoing for years now. Sent me PMs about wanting my wife to get raped, threatened to beat me up at Arrowhead. He'll eventually get banned, stay dormant for a few months, and then come back with another new identity, behave himself for a few days, then start all over again. It's old, it's tired, and it's pathetic. :shake:

Adept Havelock
11-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Ah, I see BelowAverage is up to his old tricks again. This cycle has been ongoing for years now. Sent me PMs about wanting my wife to get raped, threatened to beat me up at Arrowhead. He'll eventually get banned, stay dormant for a few months, and then come back with another new identity, behave himself for a few days, then start all over again. It's old, it's tired, and it's pathetic. :shake:

Yeah, I went through this with him in his last incarnation (though someone else said it might be LB52...same person?). It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

He wanted your wife raped too? This guy needs therapy...15th century style.

Frazod
11-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I went through this with him in his last incarnation (though someone else said it might be LB52...same person?). It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

He wanted your wife raped too? This guy needs therapy...15th century style.

LB 52 is more of a hit and run gay porn stalker.

BelowAverage is more of an obnoxious internet tough-guy wishing-bad-shit-on-your-loved-ones type.

Flip sides of the same coin if you ask me. For all I know they're the same person, although they do have separate identities on the Drane. Perhaps they're dating.

Gonzo
11-02-2007, 01:48 PM
LB 52 is more of a hit and run gay porn stalker.

BelowAverage is more of an obnoxious internet tough-guy wishing-bad-shit-on-your-loved-ones type.

Flip sides of the same coin if you ask me. For all I know they're the same person, although they do have separate identities on the Drane. Perhaps they're dating.

Well, who ever the hell he is, he can suck my bawls.

Fuggin loser needs a life. It's not my fault his family resembles things that are in neatly laid coils in my backyard.

Adept Havelock
11-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Fuggin loser needs a life. It's not my fault his family resembles things that are in neatly laid coils in my backyard.

JMO, but you ought to be more careful about that.

You might step on one of those bedsprings lying in the backrayd and accidentally launch yourself into LEO.

Bronko1977
11-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Denver ranked ahead of Kansas City! QU3EFS ARE PAPER TIGERS!

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff.php

KC Dan
11-02-2007, 04:20 PM

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff.php

Kansas City 4-3
San Diego 4-3
Donkeys 3-4
Faiders 2-5

Who's looking up - AZZHAT!

Pablo
11-02-2007, 09:36 PM

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff.phpThat's fine..we're leading the division. I'm glad you p*ssies rely on a soccer player to get all your wins. Weak. We rely on defense..something your team lacks.

OH NOEZ!111!!WE'S HAZ DA BEZT SHUTTDOWN CORNERZ COMBO IN DA LEAGE. Bailey is trash and so is Bly. It's gonna be great when the Chiefs play this week and thrash the Packers, while your prized CB's are getting raped in Detroit by Kitna, Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson. Not to mention Kevin Jones and Tatum Bell. Denver's gonna get beat by their own dumb-ass trade.

Defense wins championships..and this year it's gonna win an AFC West Championship. DVOA ratings:

Chiefs Defense: 8

Donkey Defense: 28

ChiefsGirl
11-03-2007, 07:42 AM
I guess I got off easy.

It probably took him 30 minutes to come up with that.

I got:

I would love to fornicate with you. Do you want my Denver cum in your womb?

FTR, only Skip is allowed to talk to me like that.

pikesome
11-03-2007, 08:01 AM
FTR, only Skip is allowed to talk to me like that.

Who types crap like that even on a faceless Internet BB?