PDA

View Full Version : Skeletons in the Closet: Running up the score

Amnorix
10-31-2007, 09:01 AM
*sniff* *sniff* ah, the sweet smell of hypocrisy...

Skeletons in the closet
Cold, Hard Football Facts for October 31, 2007
By Kerry J. Byrne
Cold, Hard Football Facts whine cooler

It's Halloween. What better time to uncover some skeletons in the closet?

We all have them. You have them. We have them (though ours are a little, ahem, "big boned"). Players and "pundits" have them, too.

We were reminded of all these skeletons when we saw so many players, fans and "pundits" dressed up as whiny little bitches this week.

In case you hadn’t heard, New England is "running up the score" on its opponents. It’s been among the hot topics on every sports talk show since Sunday, when the Patriots laid a 52-7 whipping on the Redskins who – last we checked – were a team of highly paid professionals, with a winning record, and who very well may end up in the playoffs this year.

In other words, the Redskins aren't exactly the JV squad from Boris Karloff School of Acting.

But apparently the Redskins – and certain segments of pigskin “punditry” – feel that the Patriots should have shown a little more "respect" by, like, just falling on their faces each play of the second half. As if that would have been more respectful.

The situation that got everyone's panties in a bunch was this: New England was leading 38-0 with 11 minutes to play in the fourth quarter, and facing a 4th and 1 within easy field goal range at the Washington 7. But New England eschewed the easy field goal attempt -- in other words, they essentially took points off the board -- and responded with the most conservative play in sports: a QB dive up the middle.

New England got the first down, and proceeded to score another touchdown, on a short pass to Wes Welker. New England also converted a fourth down later in the game, on a pass from second-string QB Matt Cassel, a guy who's thrown about three passes in anger since high school, to Jabar Gaffney, a sixth-year journeyman receiver who has fewer TD catches in his career (9) than outside linebacker Mike Vrabel (10).

So are the Patriots running up the score? We don't know.

And neither do you.

We do know this: the Patriots are among the most balanced teams in football, passing the ball on 51 percent of their offensive plays. They're also a classic example of a team that builds a lead with the pass and then secures the lead with the run.
The Patriots have passed the ball on 160 of 285 first-half plays (56 percent) The Patriots have passed the ball on 107 of 229 second-half plays (47 percent)But since the Cold, Hard Football Facts are not always enough to silence the screams of "running up the score," we thought it was worth diving into the ghoulish past of the most vocal critics.

STEVE YOUNG's SKELETONS IN THE CLOSET
The complaint: Young said on ESPN Monday that New England’s big victories are tarnishing its image. Apparently, he pines for the days when the Patriots were a “lucky” team manned by a bunch of “overachievers” who squeaked out close wins. He also implied some sort of psychoses on behalf of Bill Belichick this year.

New England’s big margins of victory are the result of Belichick’s “insecurity from spygate,” said Young from behind the desk on ESPN.

The skeletons in the closet: Maybe Belichick is feeling the same kind of insecurity Young felt after playing second fiddle to Joe Montana in the hearts and minds of San Francisco football fans – the same kind of insecurity that caused Young to throw a record six TD passes in Super Bowl XXIX, the last in the fourth quarter with his team sporting a comfortable 42-18 lead against the overmatched 11-5 Chargers.

Young in the ESPN segment also lamented getting his ass handed to him by the Bears back when he was with Tampa Bay.

Indeed, the Bears did beat the Bucs 48-14 back in 1986, Young’s second and last year in Tampa. But he conveniently failed to mention San Francisco’s 52-14 deconstruction of the Bears when he was with the 49ers in 1991.

Finally, Young also kind of forgot to mention how the 49ers treated the woeful Falcons during his tenure in San Francisco: which is pretty much the same way you treat the water in your toilet bowl.

Here are just some of the scores of the San Francisco-Atlanta series during Young’s tenure leading the post-Montana 49ers:
1992 – San Fran 56, Atlanta 17 1992 – San Fran 41, Atlanta 3 1994 – San Fran 42, Atlanta 3 1994 – San Fran 50, Atlanta 14You know, if the 49ers hadn’t hung 16 fourth-quarter points on the Falcons in that 50-14 tune-up for their Super Bowl run, maybe it wouldn't have tarnished San Fran's image so drastically.

JASON CAMPBELL'S SKELETONS IN THE CLOSET
The complaint: The Redskins quarterback had a gem after the Patriots game Sunday.

“When we’re in those situations,” said Campbell, “we tend to back off.”

The skeletons in the closet: Campbell's quote is funny, seeing he's never been in “one those situations” in his NFL career.

In his one and a half seasons in a Washington uniform (he didn't do anyything his first year, 2005), the Redskins have won a grand total of one game by two TDs or more – a 34-3 win over Detroit earlier this year.

In other words, Campbell has never in his time with the Redskins found himself in "one of those situations" where he would “tend to back off.”

Maybe Campbell had his pro career confused with his college career, like that time he led upstart Auburn to a 73-7 win over the mighty Warhawks of Louisiana-Monroe.

MIAMI'S SKELETONS IN THE CLOSET
The complaint: Miamy fans say New England rubbed two weeks ago it in by pulling Tom Brady and then putting him back in the game to lead the Patriots to another score.
The skeletons in the closet: The Patriots did the supposedly humane thing by pulling Brady for the entire fourth quarter of their 49-28 win over the Dolphins. New England was instantly rewarded with a defensive touchdown by Miami, to make the score 42-21 early in the fourth quarter.

Has anyone else here seen a team overcome a three-TD deficit in the fourth? That's right. We have, too.

So New England re-inserted Brady, in a move that absolutley accomplished the goal of professional football: it crushed the spirit of the Dolphins. Miami played like a defeated group after Brady came back in, allowing the re-inserted QB to drive the Patriots 59 yards for a score in just four plays.

Of course, Miami fans are the last people in the world who should lament a victory that crushed the spirit of its opponent.

Does 1972 ring a bell, anyone?

The famous undefeated Dolphins didn't even offer the pathetic Patriots (who went 3-11) a single glimmer of hope that year. In fact, Miami reserved its biggest beating for its northern rivals: the Dolphins won, 52-0.

There is no "running up the score" in professional football, folks, just as there is no crying in baseball.

But you better be careful what you bitch about. Because there are always skeletons in the closet.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_1797_Skeletons_in_the_closet.html

Reerun_KC
10-31-2007, 09:02 AM
I wish our coach had the balls and the brains to run up the score on a consistent basis...

Hootie
10-31-2007, 09:04 AM
Reerun's sig cries more attention whore than any of my posts...just thought I'd point that out.

Molitoth
10-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Absolutly beautiful article!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats how its done Gretz and Whitlock.

Reerun_KC
10-31-2007, 09:08 AM
Amnorix you can color us jealous of your organizations and coaching staff.... how sweet it would be to actually win something meaningful.

Ultra Peanut
10-31-2007, 09:10 AM
Tom Brady has 30 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. Holy Jesus, the Patriots are good.

crazycoffey
10-31-2007, 09:10 AM
Reerun's sig cries more attention whore than any of my posts...just thought I'd point that out.

Iowanian
10-31-2007, 09:11 AM
The Patriots will eventually pay for what they're doing.

They'll be up by 38 late in the 4th quarter, Brady will drop back to throw deep again and get his knee destroyed...

beach tribe
10-31-2007, 09:12 AM
Steve young has no business saying shit after what the niners did to SD in the superbowl. What a fukin hypocrit.

Reerun_KC
10-31-2007, 09:13 AM

They'll be up by 38 late in the 4th quarter, Brady will drop back to throw deep again and get his knee destroyed...
that would be a complete douche bag move...

Doesnt Rodney Harrison play for NE now?

Hootie

Players like Brady and Manning will never get injured...genetics are too amazing.

JohninGpt
Isn't saying "it's not fair, they ran up the score on us" = to saying "geez, we suck"?

Molitoth

Or they go down in history as the best team ever. It is probably worth the risk for Brady.

Anyone could get injured on any play.

Brock
10-31-2007, 09:14 AM
Kerry needs an editor.

crazycoffey
10-31-2007, 09:15 AM
why is it either one way or the other with fans, no matter what side...

So the patriots are either running up the score or supposed to just "fall down" every play. Isn't there another option? A third, and this is the one I've been calling for; play with some class. Going for it on fourth twice, shotgun & long passes, and the celebration after scoring in the 50's, are all classless.

They are, period end of discussion.

If running out the clock = more points, fine, the score can be 80 to nothing, but come on. No one is asking the pats to fall down, they are being called out as classless, and I don't need an article to tell me that, or to defend it, I can see it on the field and during the post games.

chagrin
10-31-2007, 09:15 AM
It's good that they called out Steve Young, etc but it still doesn't take away the fact that they did run up the score against Washington.

Note that I don't really have much of an issue with that, but the article did little to put out the fire.

crazycoffey
10-31-2007, 09:17 AM

That or BB gets connected to some gambling ring = NFL's Pete Rose.

BigRedChief
10-31-2007, 09:18 AM
You are ahead 38-0 and it's 4th and 1 inside the 20 yard line you don't go for it unless you are running up the score. :harumph:

Ultra Peanut
10-31-2007, 09:19 AM
You are ahead 38-0 and it's 4th and 1 inside the 20 yard line you don't go for it unless you are running up the score. :harumph:What do you do instead, take the field goal and... score?

Molitoth
10-31-2007, 09:20 AM
You people act as if "running up the score" is a sin...

XI. Thou shalt not run up the score in the NFL.

Who cares? You mean to tell me when you are out playing flag football on the weekends, your not having fun scoring as many touchdowns as you can? I just don't get it. The NFL is not a sport for pussies, quit thinking this is soccer.

crazycoffey
10-31-2007, 09:22 AM
STOP CALLING IT RUNNING UP THE SCORE!!!!

That is not the real issue, its the way they did it, and I would call it classless if KC did it too.

Nzoner
10-31-2007, 09:24 AM
WHINY LITTLE BITCHES :D

Direckshun
10-31-2007, 09:26 AM
So are the Patriots running up the score? We don't know.

And neither do you.
What?

It was 38-0 in the 4th quarter. Tom Brady was still playing.

That's running up the score.

StcChief
10-31-2007, 09:31 AM
We wish we could run up the score. :)

Reerun_KC
10-31-2007, 09:41 AM
STOP CALLING IT RUNNING UP THE SCORE!!!!

That is not the real issue, its the way they did it, and I would call it classless if KC did it too.

dont worry CC with the brains we have on the sidelines. That would never ever be an option....

crazycoffey
10-31-2007, 09:45 AM
dont worry CC with the brains we have on the sidelines. That would never ever be an option....

B'ah - herm's a genious and you're just jealous.

Reerun_KC
10-31-2007, 09:49 AM
B'ah - herm's a genious and you're just jealous.

Am not! :harumph:

crazycoffey
10-31-2007, 09:52 AM
Am not! :harumph:

You will be, when I'm smoking those cigars..... soon.

jidar
10-31-2007, 09:54 AM
On the whole running up the score thing, I can see either side of it. The people saying you should show respect have a point, so are the people saying the opposite.

In situations like this I guess my opinion is worth even less than usual.

I guess the best I can do is say that if I were in the same situation, I believe I would not run up the score.

cadmonkey
10-31-2007, 09:59 AM
You are ahead 38-0 and it's 4th and 1 inside the 20 yard line you don't go for it unless you are running up the score. :harumph:

how so? they took the easy 3 points off the board and gave the Redskins the chance to get the ball back. Its not New England's fault the defense was so inept that they couldn't stop an obvious QB sneak. What should New England do, snap the ball and wait for a defender to get to Brady then hand that guy the ball and have him go for a TD the other way?

Look, Brady gets paid to play football, not to sit on the sideline and take notes on how Matt Cassell is running the offense.

Reerun_KC
10-31-2007, 10:00 AM
You will be, when I'm smoking those cigars..... soon.

Oh yeah we have a bet dont we.... Crap I forgot all about it!

Chief Pote
10-31-2007, 10:00 AM
I'd run the score up EVERY game. Respect is for pussies. If they want to stop them, then do it.

If I played on the Redskins, I wouldn't bring up the subject due to embarrassment.

Belichick doesn't appear to have much of a sense of humor, but I'll bet you he is bringing up this topic and laughing behind closed doors.

Uncle_Ted
10-31-2007, 10:01 AM
Karma is a bitch ... the only question is which high-priced player(s) the Pats will lose for the season while running up the score.

If I were an opposing DC getting my butt whipped by the Pats, I'd blitz the hell out of Brady if he's still out there slinging the ball around in the 4th qtr., and I'd crack a little smile ever time we got a 15-yd penalty for roughing the passer. :evil:

Chief Pote
10-31-2007, 10:03 AM
Karma is a bitch ... the only question is which high-priced player(s) the Pats will lose for the season while running up the score.

If I were an opposing DC getting my butt whipped by the Pats, I'd blitz the hell out of Brady if he's still out there slinging the ball around in the 4th qtr., and I'd crack a little smile ever time we got a 15-yd penalty for roughing the passer. :evil:

Why? Brady doesn't appear to be trash talking. He's not disliked in the league. Just a guy doing his job AND winning some games in the process. Hell even Randy Moss is shutting his pie hole.

crazycoffey
10-31-2007, 10:05 AM
Why? Brady doesn't appear to be trash talking. He's not disliked in the league. Just a guy doing his job AND winning some games in the process. Hell even Randy Moss is shutting his pie hole.

Did you see Brady's celebration after that score? That's worse than trash talking, IMO.

crazycoffey
10-31-2007, 10:07 AM
Oh yeah we have a bet dont we.... Crap I forgot all about it!

this year, next year or the 2009-2010 season - herm gets us to an AFC championship game.

Reerun_KC
10-31-2007, 10:10 AM
this year, next year or the 2009-2010 season - herm gets us to an AFC championship game.

Oh yeah.. NEVER!!!!!!

Especially not with Horrid under center...

Chief Pote
10-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Did you see Brady's celebration after that score? That's worse than trash talking, IMO.

Yeah and he's celebrating the cash cow he's riding on. I guarantee he's thinking about that Miami record. Wouldn't you? They are one of the few REAL teams to date that have a chance at breaking that record. Agree?

You're the QB of a team that COULD break that record and one that's discussed for years to come. Shit I'd be jumping around also.

Fat Elvis
10-31-2007, 10:13 AM
I only wished they played KC and ran up a triple digit score against us, and then they could do a team cheer while holding up a banner of Carl Peterson. Maybe Gunther would prostrate himself before Bellichek while weeping uncontrollably for the gracious opportunity to be sacrificed on the Pats march to the SuperBowl because it is the closest we will ever sniff a SuperBowl (let alone playoff victory) as long as the King is in charge.

StcChief
10-31-2007, 10:13 AM
Yeah and he's celebrating the cash cow he's riding on. I guarantee he's thinking about that Miami record. Wouldn't you? They are one of the few REAL teams to date that have a chance at breaking that record. Agree?

You're the QB of a team that COULD break that record and one that's discussed for years to come. Shit I'd be jumping around also.

why not. points scored, common opponents etc all tie breakers if something would happen to Pats in last half of the season.

I'd run it up on Indy as well you may need that tiebreaker card....

If you set the records along the way so be it.

I'm with Ditka.... you don't want the score run up... stop it.

crazycoffey
10-31-2007, 10:18 AM

Hey, there's no arguing they are playing good football on both sides. And I don't like the discussion about "running up the score" either. Because I don't think that really matters at all. To me it's been how they are doing it, this wasn't just a one play difference, they were up 38 nothing, went for it on fourth down (twice), shotgun formations, long passes for quicker scores, and then celebrating like they climbed out of a hole and came from behind.

I'm just calling them classless, good team but they are missing something and it makes it hard to root for them, to me and IMO.

What should be more important to Brady and Bill is the season record, and this thought; will this news story as it is currently be developed end up overshadowing the record breaking season, if they do it?

BigRedChief
10-31-2007, 10:19 AM
how so? they took the easy 3 points off the board and gave the Redskins the chance to get the ball back. Its not New England's fault the defense was so inept that they couldn't stop an obvious QB sneak. What should New England do, snap the ball and wait for a defender to get to Brady then hand that guy the ball and have him go for a TD the other way?

Look, Brady gets paid to play football, not to sit on the sideline and take notes on how Matt Cassell is running the offense.
If it wasn't your team you would see it different.

You don't quit trying(someone would get hurt going half speed), you don't need to play 3rd stringers but if its 4th and 1 inside the 20 you can kick a field goal and not be laying down.

Bob Dole
10-31-2007, 10:21 AM
You know what would be funny? If New England started kneeling on the ball whenever they got to midfield in the 4th.

That wouldn't be humiliating to the losers at all.

Chief Pote
10-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Hey, there's no arguing they are playing good football on both sides. And I don't like the discussion about "running up the score" either. Because I don't think that really matters at all. To me it's been how they are doing it, this wasn't just a one play difference, they were up 38 nothing, went for it on fourth down (twice), shotgun formations, long passes for quicker scores, and then celebrating like they climbed out of a hole and came from behind.

I'm just calling them classless, good team but they are missing something and it makes it hard to root for them, to me and IMO.

What should be more important to Brady and Bill is the season record, and this thought; will this news story as it is currently be developed end up overshadowing the record breaking season, if they do it?

The argument that they "ran up the score" will be forgotten if they break the record. In fact, the teams that didn't play them will be thankful that they didn't.

I'm not a Pats fan, but I'm jealous that the Chiefs can't do the same thing. That would be soooooo sweet. It would be a friggin party at my house every Sunday.

Chief Pote
10-31-2007, 10:24 AM
You know what would be funny? If New England started kneeling on the ball whenever they got to midfield in the 4th.

That wouldn't be humiliating to the losers at all.

:clap:

Good point.

Mr. Kotter
10-31-2007, 10:25 AM
Cheaters. :hmmm:

:p

Brock
10-31-2007, 10:29 AM

You don't quit trying(someone would get hurt going half speed), you don't need to play 3rd stringers but if its 4th and 1 inside the 20 you can kick a field goal and not be laying down.

It's not my team and he's right.

Uncle_Ted
10-31-2007, 10:30 AM
Too bad for him. I like Brady too, but if I'm an opposing coach I like my own players more. If he's lengthening the game and increasing the chances of my own players getting hurt just to run up the score, then f*ck him.

Besides, if my team is getting blown out then it's not like anything else we've tried has worked to stop him.

mcan
10-31-2007, 10:32 AM

Not necessarily true. I don't like the Patriots. I love what they are doing though. I think it's disrespectful to "let up" and make things seem like they are closer than they really are. I think it's stupid to have record books if you aren't going to let your players play to the best of their abilities. It would be like a long jumper saying "Well, I'm capable of beating the world record by 2 feet, but I think I'll just beat it by 1 foot instead. No need to show off." Last I checked, it wasn't showing off... It was doing your job to the best of your ability.

On offense, your job is to score points, regardless of the current score.

On defense, your job is to stop the other team.

The Patriots are the only team that gets it. And they will be rewarded with a perfect season and a SuperBowl win, and a ton of NFL records that will insure a couple spots in the NFL Hall of Fame. Meanwhile, lesser teams that don't have the talent, the work ethic, or the philosophy to do what it takes to win will sit around and complain that the Patriots are bad people... Makes them feel better.

BigRedChief
10-31-2007, 10:32 AM
It's not my team and he's right.So you are saying that when you are up 38 points in the 4th quarter and the other team has 0 points its more respectful to go for it on 4th down and 1 inside the 20 than to kick a field goal?

Brock
10-31-2007, 10:36 AM
So you are saying that when you are up 38 points in the 4th quarter and the other team has 0 points its more respectful to go for it on 4th down and 1 inside the 20 than to kick a field goal?

Anything less than your best effort is disrespecting your opponent.

bobbything
10-31-2007, 10:40 AM
I don't care about "running up the score." If you can do it, so be it. But, for me, I wouldn't be going for it on 4th down, when up by 38 points in the 4th quarter.

To me, it's like giving the middle finger to the other coach. Which is not what the game is about.

crazycoffey
10-31-2007, 10:41 AM

But by running more pass plays with a big lead lengthens the game and increases the possibility of needless injuries.

Agian - it's always either go "full tilt" or "take a knee" with this arguement, when there is a truely valid third option that we should be able to agree to.

mcan
10-31-2007, 10:41 AM
So you are saying that its more respectful to go for it on 4th down and 1 inside the 20 than to kick a field goal?

It has nothing to do with showing respect. That's like asking if it's more "American" to eat peanut butter on toast or bread.

First "respect" is a subjective term. To me, showing respect is being humble and shaking a man's hand regardless of who kicked who's ass. It's being able to seperate the human beings from the players. It's being able to appreciate an opposing player making a great play, all the while still wanting and trying to stop them. It's hitting a quarterback as hard as you can between the whistles, and helping him up when the play is over.

Lastly, to me, you show more respect for your profession and the fans that watch the game, if you do everything you can to play the best you can all the time. The other team should have the same idea.

Uncle_Ted
10-31-2007, 10:42 AM
why not. points scored, common opponents etc all tie breakers if something would happen to Pats in last half of the season.

I'd run it up on Indy as well you may need that tiebreaker card....

If you set the records along the way so be it.

I'm with Ditka.... you don't want the score run up... stop it.

Um, wouldn't the first tie-breaker with Indy be the head-to-head matchup?

The point-differential tie-breaker is a valid point, but a weak one. It enters into play in the NFL so rarely that it wouldn't be worth the risk of losing a star player in an otherwise-meaningless 4th qtr.

Also, for the record, I don't have a problem with going for it on 4th and 1 in the red zone ... it gives the other team a chance to stop you from scoring any points on the drive.

Chiefnj2
10-31-2007, 10:43 AM
I don't understand why so many DC's are allowing it to happen without repercussions. A nice safety blitz up the gut might have given Belichick second thoughts about keeping Brady in the game throwing the ball.

Brock
10-31-2007, 10:45 AM
But by running more pass plays with a big lead lengthens the game and increases the possibility of needless injuries.

There isn't any data to support that viewpoint.

Uncle_Ted
10-31-2007, 10:47 AM
There isn't any data to support that viewpoint.
That's a joke, right?

Brock
10-31-2007, 10:48 AM
That's a joke, right?

I assume you have data that says more players are hurt on pass plays than on run plays.

bobbything
10-31-2007, 10:50 AM
I don't understand why so many DC's are allowing it to happen without repercussions. A nice safety blitz up the gut might have given Belichick second thoughts about keeping Brady in the game throwing the ball.
Not that I would advocate it, but, when you're down 38 points, with 5 minutes to go in the game, a jailbreak blitz (with a well timed late hit) might get the point across.

bobbything
10-31-2007, 10:50 AM
I assume you have data that says more players are hurt on pass plays than on run plays.
Don't be a moron. What he was saying was that the longer the game goes, there is an increase in the chance of injury.

Brock
10-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Not that I would advocate it, but, when you're down 38 points, with 5 minutes to go in the game, a jailbreak blitz (with a well timed late hit) might get the point across.

Or just stopping them from scoring 38 points might work as well.

Jesus Christ, let's just put in a 35 point rule.

BigRedChief
10-31-2007, 10:52 AM
So you think Herm would have went for it on 4th and 1? Is he disrespecting his opponents this year?

Chiefnj2
10-31-2007, 10:52 AM

You dispute more QB's are hurt on pass plays than on running plays?

penguinz
10-31-2007, 10:53 AM
I assume you have data that says more players are hurt on pass plays than on run plays.Get your head out of your ass and actually read the statement. It does not say that pass plays raise the risk of injuries. It said that pass plays lengthen the game which is totally true. Since the game is longer then there will be a greater chance of injury.

StcChief
10-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Um, wouldn't the first tie-breaker with Indy be the head-to-head matchup?

The point-differential tie-breaker is a valid point, but a weak one. It enters into play in the NFL so rarely that it wouldn't be worth the risk of losing a star player in an otherwise-meaningless 4th qtr.

Also, for the record, I don't have a problem with going for it on 4th and 1 in the red zone ... it gives the other team a chance to stop you from scoring any points on the drive.
the 1st tiebreaker head to head but after that... points , common oppenents etc all fall in line. I wouldn't want a tiebreaker to be my undoing.

I'm for scoring anytime you can.

4th and one...why not try a play you use on 4th and one..
if they were really running up the score they kick FG....

they get up by 20+ points and put Jr. Sueu, Vrabel in back field on plays if that's not messing around with plays I don't know what is.....

this is Equivelent of 'batting practice' mode.

bobbything
10-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Or just stopping them from scoring 38 points might work as well.

Jesus Christ, let's just put in a 35 point rule.
Hey, what's wrong with a jailbreak blitz on every play? No more disrespectful, IMO.

I'd bet that if Brady ended up breaking his collar bone because he was left in the game, after it's well established that they're going to win, that the NE faithful would be pretty livid with the coaching staff.

And, from the sound of things, I think there will probably be a team out there that's going to be getting rocked by NE, that will send someone off the end, blindside Brady with a late hit to try and take him out for the season.

Not saying that it's right, but, I bet it'll happen.

the Talking Can
10-31-2007, 10:57 AM
The Patriots are the only team that gets it. And they will be rewarded with a perfect season and a SuperBowl win, and a ton of NFL records that will insure a couple spots in the NFL Hall of Fame. Meanwhile, lesser teams that don't have the talent, the work ethic, or the philosophy to do what it takes to win will sit around and complain that the Patriots are bad people... Makes them feel better.

bingo

but hey, most wins in the 90's !

BigRedChief
10-31-2007, 11:00 AM
bingo

but hey, most wins in the 90's !
And we had less 10 loss seasons than anyone else.

Brock
10-31-2007, 11:01 AM
LOL, some Chiefs fans are so attuned to mediocrity, they really hate it when another team plays all the way up to their ability.

boredfan
10-31-2007, 11:03 AM
One question comes to mind, would we be having this discussion on this board if the Chiefs had done the same to the Raiders?

Brock
10-31-2007, 11:05 AM
One question comes to mind, would we be having this discussion on this board if the Chiefs had done the same to the Raiders?

The Chiefs were putting up points like crazy the past several years and I didn't hear anybody calling for Dick to take his foot off the gas.

bobbything
10-31-2007, 11:07 AM
LOL, some Chiefs fans are so attuned to mediocrity, they really hate it when another team plays all the way up to their ability.
I don't hate it. I just think that the New England coaching staff is setting themselves up for a key injury from some team (the Jets, maybe?) that has nothing to lose.

Like I said, I have no problem with running up the score, if you can. But, when playing against it, nobody likes it. They take it as a sign of disrespect. And, in an emotionally charged game like football, people always take cheap shots; even when they don't feel like they're being disrespected.

Brock
10-31-2007, 11:09 AM
I don't hate it. I just think that the New England coaching staff is setting themselves up for a key injury from some team (the Jets, maybe?) that has nothing to lose.

Yeah, I'm sure Belichick has overlooked what you think might happen. :rolleyes:

jjjayb
10-31-2007, 11:11 AM

Or he'll get hurt because he let up and didn't stay focused. Take your pic. :rolleyes:

ClevelandChief
10-31-2007, 11:12 AM

Here's an idea.....Washinginton coulda manned up and stopped them on 4th and 1 instead of plain not being good enough to do so.

ClevelandChief
10-31-2007, 11:13 AM
And we had less 10 loss seasons than anyone else.

Yea, we were also tied for the least amount of superbowls won at ZERO.

SBK
10-31-2007, 11:14 AM
If I'm in charge of the D getting blown up I would blitz, blitz and blitz, and I would bench anyone that didn't hit the QB regardless of penalty.

If I'm down 38-0 in the 4th I'm not coming back anyway, so if my monster blitz scheme gives up a score or 2 big deal.

bobbything
10-31-2007, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I'm sure Belichick has overlooked what you think might happen. :rolleyes:
You really think that he'll know when and where that will happen? The only thing Belichick has control over, in this aspect, is when Brady comes off the field. Hell, they might see an all-out blitz on the first play of the game this week in Indy. Indy might give up the score to take a shot at Brady. Who knows.

My guess is that you'll see New England, with a huge lead late in the game, let up a little. Just judging from all the national hype this has been getting.

Fairplay
10-31-2007, 11:19 AM
I say go for the throat and keep running the offense full boar.
If the bother team sucks that bad its not their fault.

Thats liberal thinking where everyone has to be fair as to not another persons feelings.

bobbything
10-31-2007, 11:19 AM
The Chiefs were putting up points like crazy the past several years and I didn't hear anybody calling for Dick to take his foot off the gas.
Not a good comparison and you know it. You've mastered the art of grasping at straws, haven't you?

the Talking Can
10-31-2007, 11:22 AM

sure sounds like it....Carl has really worked this fan base over...

milkman
10-31-2007, 11:25 AM

I would agree with you here, except for the part about a team playing all the way up to their ability.

The Chiefs have always played all the way up to their ability.

The problem, mediocre is "all the way up to their ability".

beach tribe
10-31-2007, 11:46 AM
You really think that he'll know when and where that will happen? The only thing Belichick has control over, in this aspect, is when Brady comes off the field. Hell, they might see an all-out blitz on the first play of the game this week in Indy. Indy might give up the score to take a shot at Brady. Who knows.

My guess is that you'll see New England, with a huge lead late in the game, let up a little. Just judging from all the national hype this has been getting.
Indy is the reason they acting this way in the first place. NO WAY they let up on them.

Brock
10-31-2007, 11:51 AM
If the Chiefs had any kind of defense the past several years, it would have been the Chiefs being called out for scoring too much by pussified media, fans, etc. And Chief fan would defend it to the hilt.

beach tribe
10-31-2007, 12:01 PM
If the Chiefs had any kind of defense the past several years, it would have been the Chiefs being called out for scoring too much by pussified media, fans, etc. And Chief fan would defend it to the hilt.
Damn straight.

bobbything
10-31-2007, 12:19 PM
Indy is the reason they acting this way in the first place. NO WAY they let up on them.
I didn't necessarily mean Indy. Actually, I was referring to a crappy team. The Jets or Bills.

alanm
10-31-2007, 12:30 PM
I like how the writer does a nice deflection job pointing to past teams bad behavior as an excuse for the Patriots running up the score. :)

crazycoffey
10-31-2007, 12:35 PM

It's not about the points at the end of the game, I don't care if it's 99 to 0, it's how they did it. It's classless, IMO and that's all. I would be pissed at Dick and Al if they were playing with a 6 possession lead in the fourth and went for it on fourth down, (twice), played spread Offense/shotgun formations and went for quick scores that prolonged the game.

Here's the one area we agree on - going for the kill. The difference is, I say make it quick and you say prolong it if you can. Is that the argument you are making?

Amnorix
10-31-2007, 12:36 PM

Peyton Manning and glass houses.

Amnorix
10-31-2007, 12:37 PM
I like how the writer does a nice deflection job pointing to past teams bad behavior as an excuse for the Patriots running up the score. :)

More to point out the hypocrisy of the various critics, and to emphasize that "running up the score" is somewhat common.

jynni
10-31-2007, 12:41 PM
It wasn't an excuse, it was just pointing out that the people bitching about the Pats running up the score are being quite hypocritical since they were part of teams that did the exact same thing.

crazycoffey
10-31-2007, 12:52 PM
It wasn't an excuse, it was just pointing out that the people bitching about the Pats running up the score are being quite hypocritical since they were part of teams that did the exact same thing.

He did a bad job then, because I didn't see the stats where the compared
QB's were the ones calling the plays. Perhaps they didn't agree with the calls during those games.

Also did it show that the 49ers (or whichever team) went for it on fourth down in the fourth quarter with a 6 possession lead?

What is Steve Youngs job now? To give his opinion of current games?
:hmmm:

BucEyedPea
10-31-2007, 01:02 PM
Yup! It's classic projection. Best insight to someone's character.

crazycoffey
10-31-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm on everyone's ignore, aren't I.....

Brock
10-31-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm on everyone's ignore, aren't I.....

No, you're just boring.

crazycoffey
10-31-2007, 01:09 PM
No, you're just boring.

It's better to be boring, then I guess. Considering the company.....

Amnorix
10-31-2007, 01:13 PM
Whoa. Dr. Z quoted Len Dawson as saying Hank STram liked to run up the score. I've created a new thread for that one. I'm sure that will get tongues wagging around here.