PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Car detailing

bobbything
11-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Anyone know of any places to get your car detailed in KC that are reasonably priced?

HonestChieffan
11-01-2007, 12:17 PM
My experience is a cheap detail....aint a detail

bobbything
11-01-2007, 12:20 PM
My experience is a cheap detail....aint a detail
I didn't say "cheap." I said reasonably priced.

burt
11-01-2007, 12:54 PM
I didn't say "cheap." I said reasonably priced.

Depends on what is reasonable to you.

bobbything
11-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Depends on what is reasonable to you.
I have no frame of reference. Which is why I was asking for various opinions.

Dayze
11-01-2007, 01:39 PM
My dad had a 'detail' done right before he sold his truck; I think it was like $75.
I remember it looked good, but I wasn't overly 'impressed given the price. Granted it was some small outfit in Lenexa a while back; so others may have better experiences for a better price.

when he sold his next one I offered up my services for him; I picked up some good mequiar's wash; some mequiars paint cleaner, paint polish, and mequiar's NXT wax; man, it turned out great. Everythign else was easy; vaccuming, wheel cleaning, tires, leather conditioner, windshield etc.

:shrug: Not sure if you're looking into detailing costs because you don't want to fool with it, buyt if not & if you've got the time (I can typically detail the heck out of the wifes car in about 2.5 hours now that I've got a routine), a good clean, polish, and wax (3 seperate steps) can do wonders for paint/gloss etc. If you've got a light swirl marks, you may want to use some paint cleaning before polishing & waxing.

Amnorix
11-01-2007, 01:41 PM
I may need to turn in my man card for this, but....

....why do people obther to detail their vehicles? Seriously. Is there any reason other than getting it to look a bit cleaner/nice for a while?

Brock
11-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Try the yellow pages.

Dayze
11-01-2007, 01:46 PM

....why do people obther to detail their vehicles? Seriously. Is there any reason other than getting it to look a bit cleaner/nice for a while?
good point.
I typically detail our own vehicles primarily for a good cleaning/potection of the paint/clear coat.
If it works out tha the weather is sunny and no rain for a week or so; cool. Sometimes I've polished &waxed etc...only to have it rain the same day. Bummer.

I have found, however, that after a good polishing/waxing, that if it does rain I can quickly clean 'er up with a great product called (oddly enough) Quik Detailer; most of the rain water rolls off it anyway b/c of the wax but I can go over the entire car with the quik detailer & a terry cloth in about 5 minutes; and it looks like I just waxed it.

It's hard to get motivated to do this in the winter though, but applying about 6-8 waxings per year keeps the paint in darn near perfect condition.

El Jefe
11-01-2007, 02:46 PM
good point.
I typically detail our own vehicles primarily for a good cleaning/potection of the paint/clear coat.
If it works out tha the weather is sunny and no rain for a week or so; cool. Sometimes I've polished &waxed etc...only to have it rain the same day. Bummer.

I have found, however, that after a good polishing/waxing, that if it does rain I can quickly clean 'er up with a great product called (oddly enough) Quik Detailer; most of the rain water rolls off it anyway b/c of the wax but I can go over the entire car with the quik detailer & a terry cloth in about 5 minutes; and it looks like I just waxed it.

It's hard to get motivated to do this in the winter though, but applying about 6-8 waxings per year keeps the paint in darn near perfect condition.

We've always detailed our own cars, and 6-8 waxes per year is crazy IMO, unless you have a Benz. A good product is Nu Finish it's a once a year wax, I use the better stuff on my new Buick, but I have only owned older cars and Nu Finish is great on them, even if they have swirl marks. I have spent hours and hours on my cars detailing and I am very anal about it, so I know quite a bit about the new products as well as the old detail products, I have used a ton of different products.

Valiant
11-01-2007, 02:53 PM
There is a place called Ming in the Gladstone area.. They do great work.. Its better when they have the coupons but I think it cost me 150 for my full size Blazer a few years ago, not sure what it is now.. It also depends on the size of the vehicle..

Dayze
11-01-2007, 02:55 PM
We've always detailed our own cars, and 6-8 waxes per year is crazy IMO, unless you have a Benz. A good product is Nu Finish it's a once a year wax, I use the better stuff on my new Buick, but I have only owned older cars and Nu Finish is great on them, even if they have swirl marks. I have spent hours and hours on my cars detailing and I am very anal about it, so I know quite a bit about the new products as well as the old detail products, I have used a ton of different products.

mostly I do about 6 per year; unless the car is just completey chewed up with grime etc.. or if I'm feeling like the car could use a touch up etc.

NuFinish eh? I'll have to check it out. I've usually just been a religuous Mequiar's user, and detailed in multiple stages etc...but I'm always up for alternatives.
Thanks for the tip.

El Jefe
11-01-2007, 03:22 PM
mostly I do about 6 per year; unless the car is just completey chewed up with grime etc.. or if I'm feeling like the car could use a touch up etc.

NuFinish eh? I'll have to check it out. I've usually just been a religuous Mequiar's user, and detailed in multiple stages etc...but I'm always up for alternatives.
Thanks for the tip.

Nu Finish is good stuff, I have used it a lot, that's the only stuff my grandpa uses. I have used Meguiars a lot also, they do make a good product.

Skip Towne
11-01-2007, 03:27 PM

Why take a bath? You'll just get dirty again.