PDA

View Full Version : Kansas HS scores 72 points.......in the 1st quarter.

CoMoChief
11-01-2007, 03:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/highschool/news/story?id=3088759&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab6pos1

You expected to hear joy in Roger Barta's voice. You expected the Kansas high school football legend to pick up the phone and start bragging about his team's latest accomplishment: the most dominating first quarter anyone has ever played.

Instead, you find a man who is uncomfortable. Uneasy. Almost embarrassed.

Barta, the head football coach at Smith Center (Kan.) High had encouraged his team to get off to a fast start in Tuesday night's Class 2-1A playoff opener against Plainville. Apparently, they listened. The fans had barely settled in their seats, and Smith Center was defeating Plainville 72-0.

And there were still 30 seconds left in the opening quarter.

The defense had recovered five fumbles and intercepted a pass, returning it for a touchdown. The offense had run 15 plays -- all but one a run -- and scored eight times. Six different players had reached the end zone. And his team had converted all nine two-point conversion attempts.

"I didn't think it was nearly as entertaining as some folks did," said Barta, himself a Plainville graduate. "I guess it's a record or something, but not one that we're proud of. We're not here to embarrass kids. We're not here to run up the score. We want our kids to play hard and get ready for the next round of the playoffs. This just sort of happened. And once it started, I didn't know what to do."

Smith Center

Jack Krier, Smith County Pioneer

Smith Center, wearing red, is on a 50-game winning streak and has won three straight state championships.

In the first quarter, Smith Center scored on touchdown runs of 50, 9, 38, 20, 3, 25 and 60 yards. They returned an interception 33 yards for a touchdown and threw for a 14-yard touchdown, one of only two passes they completed in the game. According to the National Federation of State High School Associations, the 72 first-quarter points is a national high school record, breaking the mark of 66 set by Prescott (Ariz.) High School in 1925.

But the record didn't make Barta any more comfortable about a game his team eventually won 83-0. The coach said he did everything he could to keep the score down while making sure his starters got enough reps to prepare for the next round of the playoffs.

Barta pulled his first-team offense midway through the first quarter and his first-team defense at the end of the first half. Though he went for a two-point conversion after every Smith Center touchdown, he told his players after a second-quarter score that no one else would be crossing into the end zone. If a player got close to the goal line, Barta said, he was to fall at the 5-yard line to set up a field-goal attempt. It happened twice. The team attempted one field goal on first-and-goal from the 1-yard line.

Helping Smith Center's cause -- at least, as soon as the cause became a way to stop the madness -- was a Kansas mercy rule that allows the clock to run continuously once there is a 40-point margin between two teams.

Plainville head coach John Petrie said he has no ill will toward Barta or Smith Center for the way things went down. The Cardinals were playing without several key players, including their quarterback, who was injured the last time these two teams played.

"It's our job to try and stop them," Petrie said. "And we couldn't do it. By any means was he running up the score? No. It's just one of those deals. When you're on a hot streak, do you stop it? Of course not.

Anatomy of a Blowout

How do you score 72 points in the first quarter of a football game? Here's how. It's the first-quarter scoring summary from Smith Center High's 83-0 victory against Plainville in the Kansas high school playoffs Tuesday night.

First Quarter

10:59 -- Smith Center, Braden Wilson, 50-yard run (Braden Wilson run)
10:09 -- SC, Braden Wilson, 9-yard fumble recovery return (Braden Wilson run)
9:00 -- SC, Colt Rogers, 33-yard interception return (Trevor Rempe run)
6:33 -- SC, Marshall McCall, 38-yard run (Trevor Rempe run)
5:45 -- SC, Joe Windscheffel, 20-yard run (Kris Lehmann run)
4:39 -- SC, Drew Joy, 14-yard pass from Joe Windscheffel (Kris Lehmann run)
3:30 -- SC, Colt Rogers, 3-yard run (Joel Osburn run)
3:11 -- SC, Joe Osburn, 25-yard run (Joel Osburn run)
0:23 -- SC, Joe Osburn, 60-yard run (Marshall McCall run)

Score at end of first: Smith Center 72, Plainville 0

Find the complete game statistics here.

"There are absolutely no hard feelings. Roger has been around a long time and is a class act. This thing just snowballed on us and there was nothing we could do to stop it."

The top two teams in each division advance to the playoffs, and Plainville, despite its 4-5 record, finished second in Class 2-1A's District 12 where they matched up with the winner of District 11, Smith Center.

Smith Center, a 2-1A school of about 150 students in north central Kansas, is known for its high school football. In 30 years at Smith Center, Barta has compiled a record of 269-58. His teams have won six state championships, including each of the past three. The Redmen are currently on a 50-game winning streak, and this year they've outscored their nine opponents by an average margin of 71-0 and a total score of 640-0. They have yet to punt.

So the final score against Plainville perhaps isn't all that shocking. In fact, Petrie told the Wichita Eagle before the game that "they might beat us by 70 points."

But nobody thought they'd do it in the first quarter.

"I don't know if anybody can score on them," Petrie said. "Slow them down, I guess maybe. But I'm not sure anybody is going to be able to cross the goal line. They're just that good."

As long as Barta has been at Smith Center, the offense has centered on a power rushing attack. The Redmen were 2-for-3 passing Tuesday night, with one touchdown. Fourteen different backs handled the football, impressive in itself considering the team was without its top two running backs, both of whom are out for the season with torn knee ligaments.

Smith Center

Jack Krier, Smith County Pioneer

Plainville ran 41 times for 55 yards total.

"I've never taken a shotgun snap in my life," quarterback Joe Windscheffel said. "We just play power football. And when you look at what our backs do, you have to give credit to the offensive line."

Tad Felts, who has broadcast high school and college games in the area for more than 20 years, called an eight-man game last week that finished with a final score of 84-82. But that didn't stun him nearly as much as the first-quarter score of the 11-man game he called Tuesday night.

"I've never seen something like it," Felts said. "No one has. And now people on the outside are asking if he ran up the score while people on the inside are concerned that [Coach Barta's] first-teamers aren't getting enough game action to stay sharp."

With Tuesday's victory, Smith Center advances to the next round of the playoffs, where the Redmen will face St. John High School on Saturday. For Petrie, who is in just his second year as Plainville's head coach, the quest to bounce back begins now. The coach said he had several students approach him Wednesday morning, eager to join the team next season in hopes of preventing something like this from happening again. He found their enthusiasm encouraging.

"Right now, for a lot of our kids, things look pretty dim," Petrie said. "But it's our job to put this in perspective. I told them after the game -- this is probably the worst thing that's ever happened to many of them. But you know what? If that's the worst thing they ever have to go through, they're going to be in pretty good shape. It's going to take time, but they'll soon realize the sun is going to come up again."

BigVE
11-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Your in trouble now....

Molitoth
11-01-2007, 03:29 PM
And now people on the outside are asking if he ran up the score while people on the inside are concerned that [Coach Barta's] first-teamers aren't getting enough game action to stay sharp."

Welcome to the Patriots world.

El Jefe
11-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Wow

Fish
11-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Helping Smith Center's cause -- at least, as soon as the cause became a way to stop the madness -- was a Kansas mercy rule that allows the clock to run continuously once there is a 40-point margin between two teams.

Actually that's not a rule... they called someone from the state during the game and asked if they could actually let the clock run and still have it declared an "official" game. The officials during the game wouldn't let them do it until they called in to somebody from the KSHSAA.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Actually that's not a rule... they called someone from the state during the game and asked if they could actually let the clock run and still have it declared an "official" game. The officials during the game wouldn't let them do it until they called in to somebody from the KSHSAA.

it is a rule for non-district games, just not in-district.

BigVE
11-01-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that rule is only after half time and only if both coaches agree to it.

Coach
11-01-2007, 06:19 PM
This come to no surprise to me. They were loaded this year, as they always have been in the past.

Even though they are a 2A school, I can believe that they could have played in the 3A level and still be undefeated.

Skip Towne
11-01-2007, 06:29 PM
This come to no surprise to me. They were loaded this year, as they always have been in the past.

Even though they are a 2A school, I can believe that they could have played in the 3A level and still be undefeated.
I'd bet you're right. Colgan does just fine against bigger schools.

BigVE
11-01-2007, 07:12 PM
For what it's worth I heard that Smith Center (2A) is scheduled to play Great Bend (5A) next year. GB was rated number 2 in the state for a few weeks this year until a close loss at home a couple of weeks ago, they also made it to the 5A championship game last year. If this is true it should be a cool matchup.

Skip Towne
11-01-2007, 07:32 PM
For what it's worth I heard that Smith Center (2A) is scheduled to play Great Bend (5A) next year. GB was rated number 2 in the state for a few weeks this year until a close loss at home a couple of weeks ago, they also made it to the 5A championship game last year. If this is true it should be a cool matchup.
That's a good idea. SC will probably have to play bigger schools to fill out their schedule. I'm still wondering how that little bitty town keeps producing great teams year after year.

Coach
11-03-2007, 07:36 PM
That's a good idea. SC will probably have to play bigger schools to fill out their schedule. I'm still wondering how that little bitty town keeps producing great teams year after year.

Alot of hard work and dedication.

Smith Center won today, 64-0.

cdcox
11-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Chiefs need to hire this guy.

chiefbowe82
11-03-2007, 07:51 PM

:rolleyes:

beach tribe
11-03-2007, 07:57 PM
We already have a high school offense.

cdcox
11-03-2007, 07:58 PM
We already have a high school offense.

But not a good one.

Nelson Muntz
11-03-2007, 09:23 PM
But not a good one.

Ouch, that hurts.

kcfan82
11-03-2007, 09:27 PM
#1 in Kansas 2A would probably rank you in the top 15-25 range in KC Metro.

chiefbowe82
11-03-2007, 09:39 PM
#1 in Kansas 2A would probably rank you in the top 15-25 range in KC Metro.
:rolleyes: