PDA

View Full Version : Rookie CBs

Direckshun
11-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Take it for what it's worth (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=INTERCEPTIONS&season=2007&seasonType=REG&experience=0&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Find).

Three studs stand above the rest. Oddly enough, there was hefty discussion about Herm wanting Eric Wright, who ended up with the Browns in the second round. Wright (Cleveland) has put up fantastic numbers, with 49 tackles and an INT. And the second-longest holdout from the first round of the Draft, Darelle Revis (New York Jets), has turned out to have been worth every day of the holdout, with 54 tackles and an INT, 11 passes defensed.

Aaron Ross (New York Giants) rounds out the top-tier trio. He was supposed to be good, but three interceptions good? Wow. In addition to 23 tackles and 10 passes defensed.

Eric Weddle (San Francisco) and Leon Hall (Cincinnati) probably make up the second-tier. Weddle's churned out an impressive 26 tackles with a sack, an interception, and 3 passes defensed, and Hall's been forced into a starting role with the Bengals -- he hasn't played great, but he's played decently, stolen a couple interceptions and registered 18 tackles.

Marcus McCauley (Minnesota) hasn't done much to improve the Vikes' secondary, but he hasn't made it worse, registering 28 tackles. Trumaine McBride (Chicago) continues the Bears' streak of great defensive drafting, churning out a solid 21 tackles and a FF.

Chris Houston (Atlanta) has one of the best mentors on the field in Atlanta with DeAngelo Hall, but because of his immense promise he's disappointed with "only" 20 tackles. Damien Hughes (Indianapolis), a very promising CB, looked like a steal for the Colts but has only really played minimally in Indy's talented secondary, registering 11 tackles.

Fred Bennett (Houston) is a no-name that's actually done alright with the Texans. He's registered 15 tackles and a FF.

Speaking of no-names who've come into their own, an undrafted nobody from the west coast named Tyron Brackenridge (Kansas City), has been a fair contributor in KC's solid secondary. 11 tackles and a FF for a TD has been the imprint he's left for the Chiefs.

HolmeZz
11-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Weddle's with San Diego, and I think he's mainly been playing safety.

Direckshun
11-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Weddle's with San Diego, and I think he's mainly been playing safety.
Yeah, you got it. You're right.

CupidStunt
11-02-2007, 04:46 AM
And Brackenridge didn't "FF for a TD".

Weak.

Hootie
11-02-2007, 05:57 AM
And Brackenridge didn't "FF for a TD".

Weak.
he didn't "FF for a TD" but he has a TD and a FF.

Pushead2
11-02-2007, 06:00 AM
I hope he pans out.....

Basileus777
11-02-2007, 06:07 AM
Numbers are almost entirely worthless when evaluating CBs. I know Leon Hall has been struggling, and I was under the impression that Wright hasn't been playing very well. Aaron Ross has surprised me, I expected him to be a bust. He's proven me wrong.

Mecca
11-02-2007, 07:08 AM
if you watch the Jets play.....Revis has those numbers because teams pick on him play after play after play...you'll get passes defensed and tackles if the ball comes your way 70% of the time.

Hootie
11-02-2007, 07:26 AM
if you watch the Jets play.....Revis has those numbers because teams pick on him play after play after play...you'll get passes defensed and tackles if the ball comes your way 70% of the time.
I'm sure you watch the Jets play religiously...

Chiefnj2
11-02-2007, 07:27 AM
I think these are almost all cases of the rookies having good "numbers" because they are getting picked on. Cleveland has the 31st ranked pass defense. I'm not sure Wright is doing all that well other than giving up lots of receptions and making tackles on them.

HolmeZz
11-02-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm sure you watch the Jets play religiously...

Revis hasn't been bad when I've seen him.

I liked Ross coming out, but I don't think he's playing as great as his numbers suggest. He's got beaten a time or two.