PDA

View Full Version : An idea to improve NFL broadcasts

pikesome
11-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Wouldn't it be awesome if the networks would use their SAP channels to deliver a commentator-less soundtrack? Or, possibly better, pipe in the local radio broadcast (although this would never happen for a couple of reasons). The SAP spec allows for more than one additional audio channel, they could still do their Spanish language coverage, if they want, and provide me with Kornheiser, Gumbel, Simms -less bliss.

This weekends game will be the third one I watch with the TV on Mute and Mitch/Len on the radio. I've gotten so fed up with the network commentators that not only have I started muting them but I also watch very few other games especially MNF. I've almost given up on anything not Chiefs related on TV because I can't stand the level of idiocy and ESPN style Access Hollywood coverage. I don't think even becoming a Pats fan would help, stupid is still annoying even if it's about my team.

Otis99
11-02-2007, 09:29 AM
This weekends game will be the third one I watch with the TV on Mute and Mitch/Len on the radio.

This is almost impossible anymore due to synchronization issues. If you are watching the game in HD, Len and Mitch are 5 seconds (or more) ahead of you. This even happens if you watch a non-HD channel sometimes.

There is nothing worse than hearing the play BEFORE you see it on TV. Takes the fun out of watching. If they are a second or two behind, you don't notice as much, but that still kind of sucks.

pikesome
11-02-2007, 09:35 AM
This is almost impossible anymore due to synchronization issues. If you are watching the game in HD, Len and Mitch are 5 seconds (or more) ahead of you. This even happens if you watch a non-HD channel sometimes.

There is nothing worse than hearing the play BEFORE you see it on TV. Takes the fun out of watching. If they are a second or two behind, you don't notice as much, but that still kind of sucks.

I've not had this problem yet, I just watch the ch3 broadcast here in KC. The biggest problem is that, sometimes, the jackasses are saying something important that Mitch doesn't know like background on penalties or the like. I do get much more info about substitutions from Mitch though and that's nice since it's hard to tell which linemen are out there if you don't see them swap in.

morphius
11-02-2007, 09:35 AM

I wonder what happens if you bring up the Fox audio stream on the Internet, should be a decent delay there that could almost even things out.

alpha_omega
11-02-2007, 09:44 AM

Yep...our HD delay is right at 3 seconds. I will take the prime picture anyday.

Uncle_Ted
11-02-2007, 10:01 AM
I think it's funny that the commercials during the radio broadcasts encourage listeners to turn off the sound on their TV's in favor of listening to Mitch/Len.