18 Southern California 0-0 480 0
19 Arkansas 0-0 468 0
20 Kentucky 0-0 372 0
21 North Carolina State 0-0 338 0
22 Pittsburgh 0-0 293 0
23 Stanford 0-0 290 0
24 Southern Illinois 0-0 222 0
25 Kansas State 0-0 216 0
Others Receiving Votes: Villanova(0-0) 144; Ohio State(0-0) 128; Butler(0-0) 114; Syracuse(0-0) 103; Clemson(0-0) 83; Xavier(0-0) 73; Connecticut(0-0) 50; Davidson(0-0) 50; Mississippi State(0-0) 38; Florida(0-0) 35; West Virginia(0-0) 20; Virginia Commonwealth(0-0) 19; Virginia(0-0) 19; Notre Dame(0-0) 18; Wisconsin(0-0) 15; Alabama(0-0) 14; Missouri(0-0) 8; Maryland(0-0) 6; Nevada(0-0) 6; Vanderbilt(0-0) 6; Washington(0-0) 6; New Mexico State(0-0) 4; Utah State(0-0) 4; Brigham Young(0-0) 3; Providence(0-0) 3; Akron(0-0) 2; Illinois(0-0) 2; Southern Miss.(0-0) 2; George Mason(0-0) 1; Houston(0-0) 1

Pierce
11-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Go Dores!

kstater
11-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Hogs are a little high.

POND_OF_RED
11-02-2007, 11:45 AM
ALRIGHT TOP 50!!! :mizzou:

ROYC75
11-02-2007, 11:49 AM
ALRIGHT TOP 50!!! :mizzou:

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL That's a BIG Step for Tiggerkind .....

StcChief
11-02-2007, 11:54 AM
DAWGS at 24.

bobbything
11-02-2007, 12:18 PM
UCLA is going to be awesome this year.

DaKCMan AP
11-02-2007, 12:24 PM
UCLA is going to be awesome this year.

A lot depends on how good Love will be (and I think he'll be very good). Afflalo is gone and Mata is garbage.

bobbything
11-02-2007, 12:33 PM
A lot depends on how good Love will be (and I think he'll be very good). Afflalo is gone and Mata is garbage.
I agree. But UCLA plays great defense. I'd love to watch Incy go up against them. Now that the Good Ol' Boy is gone from KU, I can actually enjoy watching his teams struggle against a good defensive team.

DaKCMan AP
11-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Good article:

Mayo has the hype; these guys will have the longevity

When O.J. Mayo landed at USC, many pundits declared that Mayo, a consensus All-American in high school, would forever change the perception of USC's basketball program. Mayo -- like Greg Oden, Kevin Durant and many, many others before -- is seen as a "program changer", a player whose skill is so profound and rep so immense that writers want to cover his team and other elite talents want to play with his team.

The truth, though, is that while Oden and the "Thad Five" lived up to the hype by playing for a national title, Ohio State was in a difficult position following Oden's departure, because he and Mike Conley both left long before an era could truly be established. USC will have Mayo for one interesting and possibly amazing season, but at the end of the day, one- or even two-and-done players are not the true program changers they are made out to be.

Lost in the hyperbole of the instant lottery pick is the new program changer in college basketball. The great player who walks into the coach's office as a freshman ready to play and play well, and stays for four incredibly productive years due to his lack of the extra something the "next level" covets.

Tyler Hansbrough is just such a guy. Hansborough turned 20 his freshman year at UNC, making him old for his grade. He probably is only 6-foot-8, making him a bit small to be strictly a low-post player in the pros. His movements are a bit robotic in fluidity. While it might sound like knocks on his game to some, all of it is music to the ears of Roy Williams, since the more they knock him in the NBA boardrooms, the more production he gets in a Tar Heels jersey.

Hansbrough is the real program changer. He is one of the guys who started from Day One, is an all-conference and maybe even All-American player, makes the program more attractive for prospective recruits, hangs around for three or four years and matures into a great college player while winning 100 or so games for the program. He might not have come to college with the flash and hype of an O.J. Mayo, nor will he be a top-five NBA draft pick, but his value to the program is much more substantial in the long run, and UNC can win a national title with his play.

So, who are the new program changers in college basketball?

Blake Griffin, 6-10, 239 lbs., Oklahoma
A David Lee-type athlete who has it all from a strength and athleticism standpoint, Griffin is a winner. He has a high basketball IQ, is a coach's son who seems to be a gym rat and has the complete respect of the AAU and local high school community to the point where other kids want to play with him. Griffin might not be as big as his listed height of 6-10, but his family is closely tied to OU (his brother is a junior on the team), and those factors might encourage him to hang around for a couple of extra years to help Jeff Caple build a winner in Norman. In all fairness to Griffin, he continues to improve in leaps and bounds, so much so that he might be too good for NBA guys to pass up, and his stay in Norman might be shorter than expected. His signing, however, restarted Oklahoma's engine with in-state recruits.

Jai Lucas, 5-11, 150 lbs., Florida
Lucas is the prototype of a program changer … or in this case, a program maintainer. At 5-11 ( maybe smaller) and 150 pounds (soaking wet), Lucas looks more like a walk-on than a dynamic college talent, and that is perfect. At this stage of his career, Lucas is just as good a shooter as and a better pure point guard than his older brother John. Lucas makes everyone on his team better. He has a ridiculous basketball IQ, and his outgoing personality, coupled with his style of play, makes Florida a destination of choice for star wings and post players who want to play fast, get the ball and win games for the next four years. It also should be noted that Lucas might be the best recruiting player in college hoops, since his father works out high school, college and NBA stars in Houston, giving Jai many opportunities to preach the gospel of Billy Donovan.

Patrick Patterson, 6-9, 219 lbs., Kentucky
Patterson nearly tied himself to Lucas in a package deal, but instead he headed to bluegrass country, and Big Blue Nation will forever be pleased. Patterson is undersized and probably underweight for the next level with his current skill set, but he is a beast on the boards, and his ferocious intensity will have Billy Clyde smiling his way to the Sweet 16 and beyond for the next several years. While Patterson should eventually become a pro, it might take three or four years for the NBA to buy in, and during that time, he will change the demeanor of SEC rebounding for the better. His signing instantly energized Kentucky recruiting, which was -- more than anything else -- the sore spot in the 10-year Tubby Smith era.

Jonny Flynn, 6-0, 172 lbs., Syracuse
A consummate winner in high school, Flynn will forever change the games of Eric Devendorf, Paul Harris, Donte Greene and Antonio "Scoop" Jardin. Flynn is a 6-foot prototype point guard who has won a New York Federation title, was named New York's Mr. Basketball and was arguably the most impressive member USA Basketball's Under-19 silver-medal team from this summer. The good news for Cuse fans is that Flynn is the son of a reverend and said to be a terrific student, so the dollars and allure of the NBA might not take him out of the college game as early as others in a similar position. Expect Syracuse to be the surprise team from the Big East, and Flynn's play will be a big reason why. It also should be noted that while Harris' disappointing first season might have hurt momentum in upstate New York recruiting, Flynn allows Jimmy B. to flex his New York muscle and take his pick from future Buffalo stars.

James Harden, 6-5, 210 lbs., Arizona State
Harden might be a bit smaller than 6-5 and might still have to put some muscle onto his supremely athletic frame. But while most of America has heard of the great Eric Gordon at Indiana, Harden is just a notch below Gordon in terms of stature heading into college. Harden, L.A.'s best off-guard will -- in a Jeff Green sort of way -- learn the complete game of basketball from Herb Sendek while starting from Day One in Tempe. Harden also opens Los Angeles for the Sun Devils. This is big in recruiting and perception, and he is similar to Julius Hodge at NC State in his impact on Sendek's current program.

Doug Gottlieb is a college basketball analyst for ESPN and host of "The Pulse" on ESPN Radio.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/columns/story?columnist=gottlieb_doug&id=3088916&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dgottlie b_doug%26id%3d3088916

kstater
11-02-2007, 01:35 PM
The back-to-back champs didn't crack the Top 25? WTF!

Considering they lost 4 starters I would have been shocked if they were in the top 25.

DaKCMan AP
11-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Considering they lost 4 starters I would have been shocked if they were in the top 25.

Actually we lost all 5 starters and a 6th man. 4 of the 5 starters and the 6th man are playing in the NBA and the 5th starter is playing ball in Europe.

kstater
11-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Actually we lost all 5 starters and a 6th man. 4 of the 5 starters and the 6th man are playing in the NBA and the 5th starter is playing ball in Europe.

Yeah I know, I only counted the good ones :D

DaKCMan AP
11-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Yeah I know, I only counted the good ones :D

Hey, that 5th starter holds the NCAA tournament record for 3-pointers and the NCAA record for most consecutive games with a 3. He also has the school record for most 3's in a season and most all-time 3's. :p

DFB
11-02-2007, 01:57 PM
The top 10 is identical to the Coaches' Poll. I think the title comes from one of the top 7 teams.

Ultra Peanut
11-02-2007, 02:15 PM
It's kind of strange to see your team at #3 in a preseason poll and feel a little jobbed.

DFB
11-02-2007, 03:30 PM
It's kind of strange to see your team at #3 in a preseason poll and feel a little jobbed.

There was no way they were going to be #1. They're not the best team in the country. They're not even the best team in the state.

Stewie
11-02-2007, 03:57 PM

I worked with Calipari at summer B-Ball camps (Ted Owens' camps) when he was an assistant at KU. I never would have thought he'd have the success he's had. Then again Bob Hill was in that same group and became a head coach in the NBA. My glossy-eyed worship of coaches really took a hit when these guys got big-time jobs.

BigVE
11-02-2007, 04:06 PM
UNC seems a bit over rated to me...top 5-10 maybe but not number one. That would be UCLA if you asked me.

So funny to see the same Florida fan keep going on and on about how good his team USED to be in about every thread that has to do the college b-ball.

Ultra Peanut
11-02-2007, 04:35 PM
There was no way they were going to be #1. They're not the best team in the country. They're not even the best team in the state.AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHA

Skip Towne
11-02-2007, 05:09 PM
UNC seems a bit over rated to me...top 5-10 maybe but not number one. That would be UCLA if you asked me.

So funny to see the same Florida fan keep going on and on about how good his team USED to be in about every thread that has to do the college b-ball.
I agree. It's time for him to S-T-F-U.

BWillie
11-02-2007, 07:03 PM
i actually agree with ultimate peanut. wow. memphis is loaded and proved they were last year. they lost nobody and wont skip a beat. they have a good veteran coach. only thing they dont have is a high profile name ie ucla ku unc

CoMoChief
11-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Longhorns arent gonna be shit without Duran.

88TG88
11-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Can't wait till Dec. 4 when we knock off Memphis.

Phobia
11-02-2007, 07:26 PM
No Iowa? Something must be wrong.

CoMoChief
11-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Hmmm, a shitty MU team recvd some votes as a Bob Knight coached team doesn't. Something is very wrong with that. MU won't win 18 games this season.

CoMoChief
11-02-2007, 07:37 PM

He has the right to. His team has won back to back titles. It's not like this happened 5 years ago, this happened last season and the season before. You have the right to gloat until you're beaten IMO.

As far as this season goes, Florida is gonna suck.

I think UNC is the best team in the nation, of course you can make an argument for KU and UCLA.

DFB
11-02-2007, 07:57 PM
i actually agree with ultimate peanut. wow. memphis is loaded and proved they were last year. they lost nobody and wont skip a beat. they have a good veteran coach. only thing they dont have is a high profile name ie ucla ku unc

Actually they lost a guard that avg. 14 pts/gm. But replaced him with "one of the best freshmen in the country." So it evens out I guess.

But make no mistake, if there's one team that WON'T be winning it this year...it's Memphis. Book it.

DFB
11-02-2007, 07:59 PM
No Iowa? Something must be wrong.

No Alford. :shrug:

DFB
11-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Longhorns arent gonna be shit without Duran.

What?? :shake: They'll be weak in the frontcourt, but they have one of the best backcourt tandems in the court with Augustin and Abrams.

alnorth
11-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Congrats Wildcats, and welcome to the top 25. I hope you stay there for a while. Unlike many KU fans, I honestly hope the K-State program improves and makes the rivalry a lot more interesting and hard-fought.

Missouri on the other hand... as far as I'm concerned the tigers can lose every game 127-30 and fall into a wretched black hole of futility for generations.

KevB
11-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Actually they lost a guard that avg. 14 pts/gm. But replaced him with "one of the best freshmen in the country." So it evens out I guess.

But make no mistake, if there's one team that WON'T be winning it this year...it's Memphis. Book it.

I'm curious....what analysis leads you to believe that Memphis won't win? They've got tons of talent, experience, a good coach, strong schedule --- how do you defend a guarantee that they won't win? They lost one player, added a dominant point guard and two other good recruits.

DaKCMan AP
11-02-2007, 08:50 PM

Someone has sand in his vagina. I didn't bring up Florida, someone else did. I responded.

BWillie
11-02-2007, 08:56 PM
He has the right to. His team has won back to back titles. It's not like this happened 5 years ago, this happened last season and the season before. You have the right to gloat until you're beaten IMO.

As far as this season goes, Florida is gonna suck.

I think UNC is the best team in the nation, of course you can make an argument for KU and UCLA.

Florida's recruiting class this year, and the one next year are astounding. If you combine them together, they are easily the best recruiting class in the nation. Florida is going to be really really good for at least 5 more years. They have a great coaching staff that can coach AND recruit. That is very rare. Donovan was smart for staying in college where he belongs. It usually doesn't work out for alot of college coaches in the NBA anyways.

CoMoChief
11-02-2007, 08:56 PM
What?? :shake: They'll be weak in the frontcourt, but they have one of the best backcourt tandems in the court with Augustin and Abrams.
Without Durant last season TX was nothing. See what KU did to them when Durant was sidelined to a foot injury?

Durant jumping to the pros leaves a 26-30 pt gap in that offense. Their front court is awfully weak, and you can't win in a big conference with that.

CoMoChief
11-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Florida's recruiting class this year, and the one next year are astounding. If you combine them together, they are easily the best recruiting class in the nation. Florida is going to be really really good for at least 5 more years. They have a great coaching staff that can coach AND recruit. That is very rare. Donovan was smart for staying in college where he belongs. It usually doesn't work out for alot of college coaches in the NBA anyways.
That may be, but I dont see them making any noise THIS season.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2007, 09:02 PM
#8 Michigan State just lost to D2 Grand Valley State 85-82.

DaKCMan AP
11-02-2007, 09:03 PM

LMAO

DFB
11-02-2007, 09:05 PM

Just finished watching. Unbelievable. #8 outplayed for 50 minutes by a Division II school on their home court.

By comparison... 19,780 showed up to watch #7 Tennessee without two starters beat a team by 60.

Perfect example why polls should not come out until December. :shake:

Saulbadguy
11-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Just finished watching. Unbelievable. #8 outplayed for 50 minutes by a Division II school on their home court.

By comparison... 19,780 showed up to watch #7 Tennessee without two starters beat a team by 60.

Perfect example why polls should not come out until December. :shake:
UM loses to FCS Appalachian State, MSU loses to D2 Grand Valley State. Kinda odd.

BWillie
11-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Without Durant last season TX was nothing. See what KU did to them when Durant was sidelined to a foot injury?

Durant jumping to the pros leaves a 26-30 pt gap in that offense. Their front court is awfully weak, and you can't win in a big conference with that.

From what I have seen from Abrahms he is special. He's quick, he can shoot, he score in the lane despite his size...he reminds me of a mini allen iverson. I don't think Texas will be quite as good as they were last year, but I think they are still Top 30 material. As good as Durant was, he still put up some bonehead shots at ill advised times. I almost got the feeling that if Texas didn't just let Durant run the one on five offense by himself, and scored a few less points per game they would of been more successful last year.

People forget that Durant's class came with some other blue chip recruits that are only going to get better. Texas is still extremely young. Those young players will get better immediately from just not giving Durant the ball, spreading the floor, and watch him try to score.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Tomorrow night...Bring on the Cats.

http://inside.kstatesports.com/mbb/home.html

BWillie
11-02-2007, 09:10 PM

Didn't Michigan State lose an exhibition game like this a few years ago and go to the Elite 8?

I know Iowa State went to 2OT to what is now NAIA DIVISION 2 Morningside College and got a #2 seed that year. Exhibition doesn't count. Appalacian State beating Michigan did.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Didn't Michigan State lose an exhibition game like this a few years ago and go to the Elite 8?

I know Iowa State went to 2OT to what is now NAIA DIVISION 2 Morningside College and got a #2 seed that year. Exhibition doesn't count. Appalacian State beating Michigan did.
Yeah - I know. Just found it kind of interesting.

CoMoChief
11-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Wow.

Re: MSU losing.

DFB
11-02-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm curious....what analysis leads you to believe that Memphis won't win? They've got tons of talent, experience, a good coach, strong schedule --- how do you defend a guarantee that they won't win? They lost one player, added a dominant point guard and two other good recruits.

Strong non-conference schedule, which equates to only 6-7 tough games. Lost a player who avg. 14 pts/gm. Added a PG who has never played 1 min of D-1 ball; when they scrimmaged against St. Louis, he injured himself.

I live here. Memphis is like the 91-94 Buffalo Bills.

DFB
11-02-2007, 09:17 PM
UM loses to FCS Appalachian State, MSU loses to D2 Grand Valley State. Kinda odd.

Newsflash! Big Televen is overrated.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Newsflash! Big Televen is overrated.
Don't care. Shouldn't lose to a D2 team.

Bill S Preston
11-02-2007, 09:20 PM
I agree. But UCLA plays great defense. I'd love to watch Incy go up against them. Now that the Good Ol' Boy is gone from KU, I can actually enjoy watching his teams struggle against a good defensive team.

Definitely should be a fun year for UCLA basketball. Afflalo is gone, but he has always been a no show come tournament time. We know that Howland will have the defense ready, and now that we have a consistent scoring threat in the post, it will open up the perimeter shots a little more. Should be a fun year!

DFB
11-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Don't care. Shouldn't lose to a D2 team.

Exactly. Ranked #8 and outplayed at home by a D2 team. Though it doesn't count, if they can't beat a D2 team at home, they've got bigger problems than losing an exhibition.

HemiEd
11-02-2007, 09:22 PM
ROFL I get so sick of the big 10 and the Irish.

Ultra Peanut
11-03-2007, 02:40 AM
Strong non-conference schedule, which equates to only 6-7 tough games. Lost a player who avg. 14 pts/gm. Added a PG who has never played 1 min of D-1 ball; when they scrimmaged against St. Louis, he injured himself.

I live here. Memphis is like the 91-94 Buffalo Bills.Yes. That conference schedule KILLED us last year and the year before. You know, those years most of our current players made it to the Elite 8?

Hunt was an awesome sixth man, and an unbelievable spark plug. But Kemp, a scared freshman last year, is confident as hell all of a sudden. CDR has added a three-pointer to his repertoire in addition to the absolutely insane skill set he already has. Dozier is bigger, stronger, and developing a ****ing three-point shot, to boot. Taggert is eligible, and apparently doing a decent enough job in practice to earn some PT. Big City has shed a ton of weight, is apparently built like a brick now, and is playing his ass off against the rest of the team.

And that "PG who has never played 1 min of D-1 ball?" He's projected as a lottery pick in 2008 and is OUTPLAYING those bad mother****ers on the rest of the team unbelievably often. When Jeff Robinson, a Top 50 recruit, is #11 on the depth chart, it's a safe bet to call the team "ridiculously deep."

A University of Tennessee-Lofton fan trying to downplay this team's depth, ability, and track record is absolutely hilarious.

EyePod
11-03-2007, 05:32 AM
Everyone better watch out for Drexel. This years team is much better than last years team who got screwed out of the tourney.

banyon
11-03-2007, 09:28 AM

So you have some inside knowledge that Rose isn't one of the best freshman guards in the country? I mean, all of the other scouts and draft experts are wrong and you are right?

Nevermind, this is perfectly in line with how you and Hootie know how great Damon Huard is and all of the GM's scouts and writers are wrong.

Here's the "guy who injured himself scrimmaging against St. Louis."

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w6G_RRGHzfA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w6G_RRGHzfA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Ultra Peanut
11-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Heh. Felix Da Housecat.

Friday, November 2, 2007

Analysis

More than a month ago, these were the observations of freshman point guard Derrick Rose that I scribbled on my notepad while watching him in a structured practice setting for the first time.

"He's F-A-S-T, but doesn't know how to play. Defers too much. Might need a long adjustment period. Don't overhype."

Since I first made those notes, I have seen Rose do dozens of things on the basketball court to make me wish I had never written them. Every day since, his athleticism and strength has wowed me, his court vision has produced one scintillating moment after another, and that whole thing about not shooting enough? I think he's over it. Quite simply, Rose is better than I expected. Way better.

And because I now understand what Rose is capable of, I turned in my preseason ballot for The Associated Press top 25, which will be released today, with the University of Memphis ranked No. 1.

Mind you, when I first agreed to be one of 72 AP voters this season, I was not sure which team would get my No. 1 vote. Based on experience, talent and coaching, I could have ranked UCLA, North Carolina, Kansas or Memphis in any order Nos. 1-4 and defended my position rather easily.

Nobody can grind it out better than the Bruins, who have been the trendy No. 1 pick in preseason magazines after back-to-back Final Fours and the addition of star freshman center Kevin Love. Kansas returns seven of its top eight players and has at least a couple of future NBA pros. North Carolina is probably just as deep and just as talented as Memphis.

But what pushed me toward Memphis, in the end, was Rose. Even without him, the Tigers would be no worse than what they were at the end of last year, which was somewhere between the fifth- and eighth-best team in the country. And when you consider that some of the teams ahead of them were gutted (Florida and Ohio State) and others lost at least one key starter to the NBA (Georgetown), Memphis would still be in that top-four group.

Furthermore, it's pretty easy to tell how much Rose is ready to contribute right now because you can judge him every day in the Finch Center against some of the best players in the country, players who have been battle-tested by two straight Elite Eights.

To say the Chicago product is holding his own would be a vast understatement. Since his first practice, Rose has come so far, so fast, that coach John Calipari is struggling to contain his giddiness.

It probably would have been easier for me, as the beat writer assigned to cover Memphis, to pick any of the other three options at No. 1. As a journalist, objectivity is everything. By voting Memphis in the top spot, I opened myself up to questions about that objectivity. Heck, I even questioned it myself.

But at the end of the day, turning in a different vote simply to prove a point would have been self-serving and disrespectful to a poll that I take seriously. I fully expect the Tigers to, at some point, provide me with a reason not to vote them No. 1. Their schedule is too difficult, their grip on the spot too fragile. But for now, I can't put anybody else at the top of my ballot.

KevB
11-03-2007, 10:05 AM

I live here. Memphis is like the 91-94 Buffalo Bills.

I grew up there and spend quite a bit of time there still. Follow the team very closely....I just wanted to see how far you'd reach. If the third sentence of this critical analysis talks about someone "injuring himself" --- tells me all I need to know, thanks. You just bitter about the city of Memphis in general because your Vols didn't get Elliott Williams?

Spott
11-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Someone has sand in his vagina. I didn't bring up Florida, someone else did. I responded.

It's funny how there are so many jealous haters of your program.