PDA

View Full Version : Making Pulled Pork

luv
11-02-2007, 02:35 PM
How big of a pork butt do I need, and how long would I cook it in a pressure cooker? Feeding approx 25 at a tailgate, but there will be plenty of other food as well.

Mile High Mania
11-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Here's a starting point... http://bbq.about.com/cs/porkpulled/a/aa042404a.htm

Iowanian
11-02-2007, 02:45 PM
How big of a pork butt do I need.

Gochiefs or saul is going to pound this line like a triple cheeseburger a couple of hours late for lunch.

luv
11-02-2007, 02:45 PM
Here's a starting point... http://bbq.about.com/cs/porkpulled/a/aa042404a.htm
That's great, except I'm not smoking it.It says something about oven roasting. I can do my own internet searches. I've just seen you guys get on here and share all sorts of tips about BBQ before, so I thought I give it a shot.

Thanks anyway.

JohninGpt
11-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Someone please inform Hogfarmer that someone is trying to steal his job.

BigRedChief
11-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Phil has the best pulled pork in KC. Ask him.

luv
11-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Phil has the best pulled pork in KC. Ask him.
I was hoping he'd be on here. I'm needing to head out pretty soon to do some shopping, and I wanted to find out.

Otter
11-02-2007, 02:56 PM
I'd recommend a crock pot for pulled pork.

Stewie
11-02-2007, 02:57 PM
I was hoping he'd be on here. I'm needing to head out pretty soon to do some shopping, and I wanted to find out.

Is this to be done on a grill, or do you have electricity?

Edit: Not sure if you're doing this AT the tailgate.

BigRedChief
11-02-2007, 02:57 PM
I'd give you his number but he told me to make sure to not give it to you.:)

luv
11-02-2007, 02:59 PM
I was hoping to use a pressure cooker. There's a recipe in the book for BBQ beef. I'm wanting to make pulled pork though. I thought I could marinate it, cook it in there, and then pull it.

Stewie
I'd recommend a crock pot for pulled pork.

As a competitive BBQer it's hard to beat a crock pot pulled pork recipe in a pinch.

luv

Edit: Not sure if you're doing this AT the tailgate.
Making it before hand and heating it on a grill at the tailgate.

JBucc
11-02-2007, 03:01 PM
I'd recommend a good 18lber. Force it into the microwave and cook on low for 12-14 hours. Pull apart with fork or bare hands, whichever is preferred. Also makes great winter boots. Just carve out a hole and stick in your foot.

Stewie
11-02-2007, 03:01 PM
I was hoping to use a pressure cooker. There's a recipe in the book for BBQ beef. I'm wanting to make pulled pork though. I thought I could marinate it, cook it in there, and then pull it.

I've never done pork in a pressure cooker, but I'm sure it would be fine. Cooking a pork butt is the easiest thing to do. You can't really make a mistake.

Stewie
11-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Making it before hand and heating it on a grill at the tailgate.

Use a crock pot, if you have one. It's bullet proof.

luv
11-02-2007, 03:05 PM
I've never done pork in a pressure cooker, but I'm sure it would be fine. Cooking a pork butt is the easiest thing to do. You can't really make a mistake.
Thanks. About how big, do you think?

We're cooking it tonight, since we've never made it before. Was thinking it would be pretty easy. I read that the shoulder is the best for smoking. Any particular cut of pork you think I should consider?

Stewie
11-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks. About how big, do you think?

We're cooking it tonight, since we've never made it before. Was thinking it would be pretty easy. I read that the shoulder is the best for smoking. Any particular cut of pork you think I should consider?

Buy a bone-in pork butt that's around 9 lbs (which is about average in most grocery stores). They're fairly big and I'm not sure how big your cooker is.

luv
11-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Buy a bone-in pork butt that's around 9 lbs (which is about average in most grocery stores). They're fairly big and I'm not sure how big your cooker is.
I think I'm going to try to crock pot method you and Otter mentioned.

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-02-2007, 03:22 PM
As a rule of thumb about 1/2 lb of meat per person. The loin is the best and most tender part of a hog.
It you waste some don't worry I'm making more as we speak.

beach tribe
11-02-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm getting hungry as hell.

Adept Havelock
11-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Someone please inform Hogfarmer that someone is trying to steal his job.

Good one... LMAO

BigMeatballDave
11-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Gochiefs or saul is going to pound this line like a triple cheeseburger a couple of hours late for lunch.LMAO

Boon
11-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Barbeque ain't made in a pressure cooker.....Sorry.

Phobia
11-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Make sure you add some of that artificial smoke liquid.

RJ
11-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Get a big boston butt, pork shoulder, whatever they call it in your supermarket. Season it with salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne. Pre-heat your oven to 250. Wrap the pork in foil, than place it in a roasting pan. Let it cook for about 30 minutes per pound.

When it is finished cooking, take it out and let it cool, then start shredding. Or, if you have a heat proof glove, do it while it's hot.

After you get it shredded you might like to place it in a pot with you favorite barbecue sauce and simmer for 30 minutes. Or maybe serve it as is with some hot sauce.

You really can't screw it up as long as you get it seasoned before cooking.