PDA

View Full Version : Mizzou has climbed into rarefied air

KcMizzou
11-04-2007, 12:51 AM
Mizzou has climbed into rarefied air
By Bryan Burwell

BOULDER, COLO. — All the haunting echoes were gone with the cool autumn wind, as Gary Pinkel dashed off Folsom Field to the cheers of a suddenly delirious Mizzou fan base.

The rest of the stadium was practically empty at the conclusion of Missouri's 55-10 surgical dismantling of the Colorado Buffaloes, but the few thousand Tiger fans who had traveled to the Rocky Mountain foothills to witness ninth-ranked MU finally dismiss the enduring and excruciating Folsom Field gremlins were all on their feet.

Pinkel waved and grinned. He pumped his fists, reached over the front railing to dish out hand slaps and high fives and bathed in the thrill of victory. And a few minutes later, as he emerged from the locker room, a few enthusiastic and slightly inebriated Tiger fanatics greeted him again.

"Whooooo hoooo, PINKELLLLLLL!!!" yelled one lubricated loyalist who reached out and practically dislocated the head coach's wrist with a hearty handshake.

"GAR-EEEEEEE!!!" hollered another enthusiastic Pinkel worshiper.

The coach politely smiled, engaged them for a few seconds, then smoothly moved along.

"You know," an observant wise guy noted, "those are probably the same guys who were cussin' you out a few years ago when you couldn't win here."

"Oh yes, I know, I know my job very well," the coach said, nodding and laughing.

In the fickle world in which he lives Pinkel knows how long it has taken for him to turn those jeers into glad hands. After six years of torment, little by little, week by week, Pinkel's Tigers are shaking free of all those recurring nightmares that have kept his program from elevating to the level of serious national power.

Midway through the third quarter Saturday night, the stadium that was once filled with 51,483 spectators was now half-filled and Ralphie the Buffalo hadn't made an appearance since sundown.

Anyone who stayed around witnessed a shocking reckoning on the field. Mizzou put on a dazzling show of offensive athleticism and defensive muscle-flexing as it took another emphatic step toward what now seems to be an inevitable regular-season finale for the Big 12 North title against unbeaten and eighth-ranked Kansas.

"I told (the players) if you want to make a (championship) run, you better win big games on the road like this," Pinkel said. "I don't care if there are thunderstorms or snowstorms. And if you can't do that, you're not going to win anything. This isn't optional here. If you want to win a championship, you have to win games like this."

So the Tigers heeded his words, then put on one of the most dominant shows of strength Mizzou has produced in a mighty long time. This was nothing like any of the throat-clearing exhibitions against those Western Michigan and Illinois State patsies. And it was nothing like that 41-6 drilling over feckless Nebraska, which clearly had descended to the depths of the Big 12 food chain. This was a thorough thumping on both sides of the ball against the decent Colorado team that only six weeks ago handed sixth-ranked Oklahoma its only defeat (27-24 in Boulder).

But here's what made this game even more special for the 8-1 Tigers:

It started out like a typical Folsom Field horror show. On the second play of the game, Mizzou quarterback Chase Daniel tried to fit an ill-advised pass into a crowd of Colorado defenders in the shadow of his own goal post and got it picked off. Three plays later, and less than three minutes into the game, Mizzou trailed 7-0. Near the end of the first quarter, Mizzou had a punt blocked, which led to a CU field goal, and Mizzou went into the second quarter trailing 10-7.

I've been saying for weeks that these aren't your father's Tigers, and they keep backing up my words with all the right evidence. This is a mature Mizzou squad that keeps summoning up its competitive heart and soul at all the right times. On both sides of the ball, the Tigers simply overwhelmed Colorado, outscoring the Buffs 48-0 the rest of the way.

This has become the season for Missouri to purge every haunting echo from its past and move steadily up the polls.

After this dominant show in Boulder, it's time to believe that Pinkel's team really has matured into a true national power.

KcMizzou
11-04-2007, 01:12 AM
GAR-EEEEEEE!!!

Pinkel deserves some respect.

We all trash him when things go bad... it's about time we gave him some credit.

Tits McGee
11-04-2007, 01:24 AM
The man has got a plan. Spread offense, wily qb's, athletic wr's that play long, opportunistic defense and solid special teams

POND_OF_RED
11-04-2007, 01:33 AM
I'm not ready to jump on the Pinkel band-wagon just yet. I did that last year when we beat Tech and went to 6-0. Talk to me a few days after thanksgiving and I might change my mind. I think he has put the Tigers in great shape to this point of the season but my grade doesn't come til after the Jayhawks game. I think MU has a much better team this year than most years but I just don't want to overlook that KU game like I have in the past....That weekend will be one of the most entertaining sports weekends in KC history. Arrowhead will be packed with trash talking fans Sat night. Then the same people joining together the next morning out of there mutual hatred of the faders. Aren't rivalries fun?

Tits McGee
11-04-2007, 01:41 AM
Let's hope the weather doesn't become a major factor in the mu ku match-up. The wind in Arrowhead can be brutal for a qb not familiar with the stadium.

|Zach|
11-04-2007, 01:49 AM
DT George Hypolite

ON QB CHASE DANIEL—“I kind of think he’s the best of the three (Kansas QB Todd Reesing, Texas Tech QB Graham Harrell) that we’ve played these last few weeks. He’s like Reesing but he’s a shorter guy and he can scramble but he has a much stronger arm. He made some great throws and that really hurt us. What we need to do is just stay level and not get too upset just like we try not to get too high after a win and just keep going forward.”

chiefsfan1963
11-04-2007, 07:40 AM
How will MU fare next year? Can they sustain this and be competitive going forward? It will be nice to watch them accomplish this.

eazyb81
11-04-2007, 08:04 AM
How will MU fare next year? Can they sustain this and be competitive going forward? It will be nice to watch them accomplish this.

No doubt this is a special year, but they have a lot of talent coming back next season (Daniel, Coffman, Maclin, most of the defense).

Sure-Oz
11-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Im just hoping MU can sustain the recruiting as well, and get another QB to replace chase and excellent TE's and WR's to come as well. We got Washington and Maclin who are young.

chiefsfan1963
11-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Great to hear that MU has a promising future as a Top ranked team!

jjchieffan
11-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Recruiting shouldn't be an issue. When you've a year like this, players are going to be falling into your laps. Grant Winstrom was from MO, but chose NU because MU sucked. I bet if he was in hs now, he would choose MU in a heartbeat.

KChiefs1
11-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Im just hoping MU can sustain the recruiting as well, and get another QB to replace chase and excellent TE's and WR's to come as well. We got Washington and Maclin who are young.

I believe they are primed to get the best QB next year & Blaine Dalton the year after that....the QB position is looking good.

petegz28
11-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Fact is MU pounded the Huskers worse than KU and now have pounded CU worse than KU. So what does this do to the rankings now that MU beat the the team that beat the team that beat MU?

Tits McGee
11-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Fact is MU pounded the Huskers worse than KU and now have pounded CU worse than KU. So what does this do to the rankings now that MU beat the the team that beat the team that beat MU?

THAT TYPE OF LINEAR THINKING WILL ALWAYS GET YOU IN TROUBLE..

KcMizzou
11-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Fact is MU pounded the Huskers worse than KU and now have pounded CU worse than KU. So what does this do to the rankings now that MU beat the the team that beat the team that beat MU?I don't think anyone's ever pounded the Huskers worse than KU did.

petegz28
11-04-2007, 10:41 AM
I don't think anyone's ever pounded the Huskers worse than KU did.

MU didn't allow 30+ points and didn't need to score 76 and still beat them by the same margin +\- a couple

eazyb81
11-04-2007, 10:58 AM
I don't think anyone's ever pounded the Huskers worse than KU did.

Texas Tech beat Nebraska 70-10 just 3 years ago.

KChiefs1
11-04-2007, 11:13 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_7365162

Tigers deep-six dazed Buffaloes

BOULDER — One of the problems with the "cover-two" scheme, leaving the two safeties deep and each responsible for "halves," is that it can be vulnerable to a tight end getting open deep, down the middle.

That takes some explaining, perhaps with a marker board and some X's and O's.

This doesn't: A "cover nobody deep" leads to considerable angst and embarrassment. And while it certainly wasn't by the CU coaching staff's design, that was the defensive approach the Buffaloes often seemed to be forced into Saturday at Folsom Field.

Missouri junior quarterback Chase Daniel - mobile, opportunistic, savvy and strong-armed - threw for 421 yards and five touchdown passes in the Tigers' 55-10 romp ... one that for students of sports history in this state could summon appropriate memories of Joe Montana dissecting the Broncos, by the same score, in Super Bowl XXIV.

In the first half alone, Daniel completed passes of 72, 46, 45 and 37 yards (to three different receivers), and victimized several CU defensive backs, albeit while often displaying the ability to avoid pressure and keep the play alive until he could unload the ball.

Ultimately, three of Daniel's TD passes came to tight end Chase Coffman - perhaps someday, when they're both in the NFL, Chase and Chase could do bank commercials together - and Coffman's tackle-breaking ability added to the Buffs' frustration.

CU cornerback Benjamin Burney said Daniel "really tore us apart. He read our coverages well. ... After the first quarter, you knew what they were going to do - keep attacking us deep. We have to be able to step up. We can't accept the ball going over our heads like that." CU linebacker Jordon Dizon said the Tigers "did what they had to do" to get deep.

"Sometimes it was great coverage and sometimes it was bad coverage," he said. "But even when it was great coverage, they still caught the ball, with miraculous catches, and I have to give it to them for making those catches."

By the middle of the third quarter, most of the CU students had abandoned their once-full sections to head for Norlin Library to study. (OK, maybe a few ventured to The Hill.) In the turned-on-its-head Big 12 North, where the traditional basketball powers have taken over, Kansas and Missouri combined to score 131 points Saturday against Nebraska and Colorado.

The Cornhuskers are so bad, their detractors no longer should feel compelled to send mass e-mails to friends with a long-winded, perhaps "insensitive" joke about child custody that finally skewers NU in the punch line. By now, just circulating the latest Nebraska score ("76-39 ... pass it on to all your friends") is enough.

But Mizzou made CU look almost as awful, underscoring the reality that while there has been significant progress during Dan Hawkins' second season, there still is a long way to go before the Buffaloes again are threats to win the division. Plus, in this transition season, the Buffs have been one of the more schizoid teams in the country, capable of beating Oklahoma and not having it seem like a fluke, and then being so thoroughly embarrassed on the same home turf by Missouri.

This has nothing to do with "mercy" or "class," but with pragmatism:

The worst move Missouri made all night was when coach Gary Pinkel kept Daniel in the game (and
through the first offensive series of the fourth quarter, with the Tigers leading 48-10. If Daniel - who took a 12-yard sack on the series - suffered a significant injury for the sake of style points and stats, whether in the BCS or Heisman Watches or anything else, Pinkel should have been forced to take off his headset and begin walking to Denver International Airport.

But even those who left the stadium early almost certainly walked away thinking that Missouri is head and shoulders better than Kansas, and that they had seen one of the best quarterbacks in the nation put on a show.