PDA

View Full Version : Hey buddy can you spare a wing tip?

ChiefaRoo
11-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Passengers revolt after being told to fly on jet with its wing tip missing
By DANIEL BOFFEY - London Daily Mail

Last updated at 18:01pm on 4th November 2007

An airline crew faced a rebellion when they told passengers they were going to fly on a jet that had lost its wing tip in a runway crash.

The SriLankan Airlines customers had been on the Airbus A340 a day earlier when it sliced through a wing of a stationary British Airways 747 at Heathrow, delaying departure by 24 hours.

So they were amazed to be boarding the same plane next day for the ten-hour flight to Colombo.

When cabin crew then admitted there was still a 5ft wing tip missing, there was "a minor revolt" as seven passengers demanded to be let off the aircraft.

A further two-hour delay followed as their baggage was removed before the aircraft could take off.

Club-class passenger Ian McKie, 54, from Loughton, Essex, said: "We were put up in hotels the night of the crash and next morning we were told we would be on a different plane that day.

"We only realised that we were actually going on the same aircraft when we got to the Club lounge and saw the plane but without its wing tip."

The former policeman, who was jetting off for a two-week holiday with his partner Gill Stone, 52, added: "On board, the cabin crew admitted that it was the same one as last time and that the tip had been ripped off.

"They assured us it didn't matter but a number of the passengers insisted that they would rather get on the next flight."

The collision happened shortly after 10pm two weeks ago when the BA011 flight to Singapore was waiting on a runway, followed by the SriLankan Airbus.

The SriLankan aircraft wing ripped through the BA flight's wing, tearing off a huge chunk and resulting in the BA jumbo being grounded.

SriLankan Airlines insisted there was no danger in flying without a wing tip.

It added: "They are purely for aerodynamics and to keep fuel costs to a minimum. There is no impact on safety at all. Safety is our absolute priority." "Don't worry my main man, it's not a big deal we don't have most of the engines working either". "Come on lighten up bro bro, pile your wife and kids aboard and lets take off."

Ok, I added the last sentence.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Huard sucks.

Extra Point
11-04-2007, 06:01 PM
The airline figured that gays would be on the plane, played God, and authorized sending it over the channel, to a fiery end. Fred Phelps has SO much influence on world events!

ChiefaRoo
11-04-2007, 08:43 PM
The airline figured that gays would be on the plane, played God, and authorized sending it over the channel, to a fiery end. Fred Phelps has SO much influence on world events!

ok then....

dj56dt58
11-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Huard sucks.
yes, yes he does

Hydrae
11-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by GOATSE
Huard sucks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes, yes he does

But does he know where his wingtips are?

Optional response:

Now I understand. With no wingtips, Huards' passes flutter all over the place!

ChiefaRoo
11-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Fox is just now doing a report on this.

Bump
11-05-2007, 03:20 PM
that sounds scary

ChiefaRoo
11-05-2007, 03:25 PM
that sounds scary

The end of that wing looked like a chewed up dog toy.

morphius
11-05-2007, 03:37 PM
"They are purely for aerodynamics..." Hmmm, and here I figured that Aerodynamics might be one of the most important thing for an aircraft.

chasedude
11-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Huard sucks.

Huard Sucks huh? Then why have him on your sig? :spock:

seclark
11-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Huard Sucks huh? Then why have him on your sig? :spock:
cause he sucks too.
sec

talastan
11-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Aerodynamics? As in the way a plane or object moves through the air. So they were going to fly well with that chewed up POS. Boy the Airline industries are really hurting now aren't they?

Demonpenz
11-05-2007, 03:43 PM
this story is too plane

seclark
11-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Aerodynamics? As in the way a plane or object moves through the air. So they were going to fly well with that chewed up POS. Boy the Airline industries are really hurting now aren't they?
don't blame the plane
blame the pilot
sec

Stewie
11-05-2007, 03:48 PM
If it's a winglet it's no big deal. It's not like a controllable surface that would really matter.

ChiefaRoo
11-05-2007, 04:06 PM
If it's a winglet it's no big deal. It's not like a controllable surface that would really matter.

True. However, most airline accidents are usually the result of a cascade of failures like a series of dominos. No way would I get on a plane that had any known damage as you don't know what the result of the torn metal might lead to during flight, wiring failure or a number of other unintended consequences.

dtebbe
11-05-2007, 04:08 PM

My understanding is the winglets mainly help fuel economy. No way I would be on that bitch though...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winglet

DT

Stewie
11-05-2007, 04:10 PM
True. However, most airline accidents are usually the result of a cascade of failures like a series of dominos. No way would I get on a plane that had any known damage as you don't know what the result of the torn metal might lead to during flight, wiring failure or a number of other unintended consequences.

It's a winglet, an appendage. There's nothing out there to get damaged and cause a problem. It's on par with the antenna being ripped off your car and being worried about the engine failing.

ChiefaRoo
11-05-2007, 05:26 PM
It's a winglet, an appendage. There's nothing out there to get damaged and cause a problem. It's on par with the antenna being ripped off your car and being worried about the engine failing.

You really shouldn't argue by analogy as it's a poor source of logic.

Stewie, I understand how aircraft work and I know what the winglet is for. I also conceptually understand the stresses put on an airframe while traveling at high sub-sonic speeds and the added issue of potential weather and of course unintended consequences. If you want to fly on a plane where the winglet was sheared off by another aircraft on the taxi way then be my guest and you'll probably be ok. That being said why you would want to add to the risk of an accident even in the smallest way is beyond me as the result of any accident will cost you your life.

Eleazar
11-05-2007, 05:41 PM
I'd be worried about undiscovered structural damage other than the superficial winglet damage.

At least let me believe the plane is safe. :rolleyes:

Braincase
11-05-2007, 06:11 PM
I thought this thread was about men's dress shoes.

HemiEd
11-05-2007, 06:13 PM
I thought this thread was about men's dress shoes.
Damnit BC, that makes two of us.

ChiefaRoo
11-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Said Airplane.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m13/buyingguy/PrangAP_468x3191.jpg

ChiefaRoo
11-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Said Airplane.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m13/buyingguy/PrangAP_468x3191.jpg

All aboard!