PDA

View Full Version : WHAT THE F#CK IS GOING ON WITH THE SERVER????

Frazod
11-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Seriously, could somebody do something?

JBucc
11-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Mini y2k!!!!!!! The Horror!!!!!!!!

Mecca
11-04-2007, 06:54 PM
It sucks......

It's the Damon Huard server.....it's ok sometimes but when the time really counts it's sure to crap out.

morphius
11-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Sure I could, anyone going to give me a server I can run this on?

jjjayb
11-04-2007, 06:55 PM
It sucks......

It's the Damon Huard server.....it's ok sometimes but when the time really counts it's sure to crap out.
ROFL

morphius
11-04-2007, 06:56 PM
It sucks......

It is Chiefsplanet, the Chiefs part takes care of the explanation on the performance of this PoS.

BigMeatballDave
11-04-2007, 06:56 PM
It sucks......

It's the Damon Huard server.....it's ok sometimes but when the time really counts it's sure to crap out.LMAO

11-04-2007, 06:58 PM
That message is going to make me more crazy than the team is.

I mean, crap, the game is well over and it is still melting down? There does not seem to be enough posting going on to cause this.

Phobia
11-04-2007, 06:59 PM
It's just another testament as to how long Chiefs fans will tolerate mediocrity.

morphius
11-04-2007, 07:00 PM
That message is going to make me more crazy than the team is.

I mean, crap, the game is well over and it is still melting down? There does not seem to be enough posting going on to cause this.
Probably people home from the game have started hitting refresh every 5 seconds to see what thread is moving up.

BigMeatballDave
It's just another testament as to how long Chiefs fans will tolerate mediocrity.
ROFL

Frazod
I had almost no trouble during the game, too. That's the weird part. :spock:

morphius
11-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Oh ****!!! ROFL

kstater
11-04-2007, 07:02 PM

I only had one error during the game. The last 6 games have been pretty decent as far as the server goes.

Skip Towne
11-04-2007, 07:04 PM
We never had this problem till Huard showed up.

ROYC75
11-04-2007, 07:05 PM

This is nothing like what will happen on 11/24 ...... It will be Epic.

11-04-2007, 07:07 PM
REP

Not that you need it.

Frazod
11-04-2007, 07:08 PM
This is nothing like what will happen on 11/24 ...... It will be Epic.

Heh. I won't be online that weekend since I'm going to the game. My uncle has AOL dial-up - shit, I'd never get through using that.

morphius
11-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Interesting, this is the first time I have seen us being CPU bound, normally it is out of RAM or IO Wait.

Calcountry
11-04-2007, 07:48 PM
It is Chiefsplanet, the Chiefs part takes care of the explanation on the performance of this PoS.ROFL

Iowanian
11-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Its apparent that austin is really Carl Pederson.

He wants the server to finish 8-8 and opperate just well enough to keep us suckers, here.

morphius
11-04-2007, 07:52 PM
All Pats haters should know that the harder we hit the server the more the pats fans struggle with Patsplanet.

:D

Bugeater
11-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Interesting, this is the first time I have seen us being CPU bound, normally it is out of RAM or IO Wait.
Did you remember to feed the hamster?

morphius
11-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Did you remember to feed the hamster?
I put peanut butter on his feet to see if Austin would make a move to upgrade the machine as promised.

Frazod
11-04-2007, 07:57 PM
All Pats haters should know that the harder we hit the server the more the pats fans struggle with Patsplanet.

Those turds clog up our server? How about pulling the friggin plug on them?

Bugeater
11-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Those turds clog up our server? How about pulling the friggin plug on them?
Now there's a solid idea. :evil:

teedubya
11-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Im putting a kick ass server on THE bandwidth pipe going into Kansas City, in a couple months.

ATT, Sprint, Verizon and others all use it. Its the main pipe going into KC.

When I know more, Ill let you know Morphius.

morphius
11-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Im putting a kick ass server on THE bandwidth pipe going into Kansas City, in a couple months.

ATT, Sprint, Verizon and others all use it. Its the main pipe going into KC.

When I know more, Ill let you know Morphius.
Very cool, let me know.

kcfan82
11-04-2007, 08:23 PM

What the heck are you running? PHP, and MYSQL?

Move this ****er to SQL, and preferably Oracle ;)

Logical
11-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Not really Tim, most of the users here were at the game, while the Pats/Indy game that would cause Patriots Planet to really get hot had not started yet. I am pretty sure the server problems were mainly related to Patriots Planet usage becoming overheated.

Logical
11-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Sure I could, anyone going to give me a server I can run this on?

Morph, how much would the server cost to get this place up to speed? Would Austin let you put ChiefsPlanet on it? I might pay for it depending on how much it would run.

chief52
11-04-2007, 08:41 PM
It is still running super slow for me. Bad day on the planet.

kcfan82
11-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Morph, how much would the server cost to get this place up to speed? Would Austin let you put ChiefsPlanet on it? I might pay for it depending on how much it would run.

It's about $50 a month to rent an internet server. You could host it out of your house if you want to pay $80 a month for business class road runner.

Myself and another guy run a few message boards on his site, the biggest being www.talkncaa.com

Renting a dedicated server is the way to go, put a donate button up and even the cheap bastards on here should be able to pony up $50 a month.

smittysbar
11-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Does anyone else have problems refreshing a thread?
I hit the refresh button and the page never refreshes right. To see if any new post are in a thread I have to go back out to the lounge then click on last page again.

morphius
11-04-2007, 09:04 PM
I'll try to find out something from him.

KCChiefsMan
11-04-2007, 09:49 PM

why don't you try getting out and doing something else instead of bitching about servers. There is life outside of Chiefsplanet.

Frazod
11-04-2007, 09:59 PM
why don't you try getting out and doing something else instead of bitching about servers. There is life outside of Chiefsplanet.

So your response to my bitching about something on a message board is to bitch about it on a message board.

You're just a pure f#cking retard, aren't you? :shake:

smittysbar
11-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Does anyone else have problems refreshing a thread?
I hit the refresh button and the page never refreshes right. To see if any new post are in a thread I have to go back out to the lounge then click on last page again.

Anyone???

Frazod
11-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Anyone???

Sometimes.

One thing you can do to help is disable signatures.

smittysbar
11-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Sometimes.

One thing you can do to help is disable signatures.

I'll try that, thanks

Phobia
11-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Have you cleared your browser cache? Which browser are you using? Do you have any strange custom refresh settings enabled?

MadMax
11-04-2007, 10:26 PM
So your response to my bitching about something on a message board is to bitch about it on a message board.

ROFL ROFL

KCChiefsMan
11-05-2007, 12:02 AM

bitching? that was hardly bitching, I just have a tendency to point out dumbf*cks when I see them.

morphius
11-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Something I have been wondering, if Austin doesn't step up to the plate, do we just sit on our hands?

blaspheme I know.

Rausch
11-05-2007, 12:19 PM
bitching? that was hardly bitching, I just have a tendency to point out dumbf*cks when I see them.

Unless they wear blue blockers...

BigRedChief
11-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Something I have been wondering, if Austin doesn't step up to the plate, do we just sit on our hands?

blaspheme I know.
We are use to a mediocre team why not a mediocre server?

I don't think we could ever get the Planet to pack up and leave and go to a new site and server.

morphius
11-05-2007, 12:27 PM

I don't think we could ever get the Planet to pack up and leave and go to a new site and server.
That is sort of my thing thought as well, but I wanted to measure actual frustration levels.

penguinz
11-05-2007, 12:44 PM

blaspheme I know.We have been for years. I once suggested creating a new place that everyone could migrate to and got yelled at. And here we are a few years later bitching about the same things. ;)

penguinz
11-05-2007, 12:46 PM
It's about $50 a month to rent an internet server. You could host it out of your house if you want to pay $80 a month for business class road runner.

Myself and another guy run a few message boards on his site, the biggest being www.talkncaa.com

Renting a dedicated server is the way to go, put a donate button up and even the cheap bastards on here should be able to pony up $50 a month.Total BS for a high traffic site.

dirk digler
11-05-2007, 12:54 PM

I disagree. I think that if the right people put up the new site I think it could work and people would be willing to move. All it takes is a few respected posters to up and move and the rest I think would follow.

With that being said that would be a last straw type of thing we need to fix the problem so we wouldn't have to do that.

morphius
11-05-2007, 01:00 PM
With that being said that would be a last straw type of thing we need to fix the problem so we wouldn't have to do that.

Absolutely!

Frazod
11-05-2007, 01:03 PM

Find the nearest mirror and have a field day, you stupid cocksucker.

DaFace
11-05-2007, 01:08 PM
That is sort of my thing thought as well, but I wanted to measure actual frustration levels.

If you're interested in having a true evaluation about how people feel, I'd volunteer to put up a REAL online survey (rather than a bunch of polls) to see how people feel about it.

DaFace
11-05-2007, 01:12 PM
I disagree. I think that if the right people put up the new site I think it could work and people would be willing to move. All it takes is a few respected posters to up and move and the rest I think would follow.

My guess is that the Planet will be pretty divided on the issue. Those who came over from the Star board still feel pretty loyal to Kyle and would see abandoning his work as a slap in the face. Others (like myself frankly), don't have that same level of loyalty and would be perfectly happy to abandon ship for a more reliable server.

morphius
11-05-2007, 01:15 PM
If you're interested in having a true evaluation about how people feel, I'd volunteer to put up a REAL online survey (rather than a bunch of polls) to see how people feel about it.
Go for it. I was hoping to talk to Kyle today, but he isn't online for some reason or another. I just worry that bad server, inability to do user enhancements (for example, ignore thread is a feature that can be added to the newest versions of vBulletin which may have kept gaz around), and a bad team will cost us more quality users.

Simplex3
11-05-2007, 01:23 PM
My guess is that the Planet will be pretty divided on the issue. Those who came over from the Star board still feel pretty loyal to Kyle and would see abandoning his work as a slap in the face. Others (like myself frankly), don't have that same level of loyalty and would be perfectly happy to abandon ship for a more reliable server.
I was ostracized pretty heavily for even suggesting it a few years back.

morphius
11-05-2007, 01:27 PM
I was ostracized pretty heavily for even suggesting it a few years back.
Oh, lots of people have been blasted for it over time, and I wouldn't be shocked if I get blasted for it as well.

dirk digler
11-05-2007, 01:29 PM

It will definitely be divided but alot of the older members bitch about the server just as much or more than the noobs

DaFace
11-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Go for it. I was hoping to talk to Kyle today, but he isn't online for some reason or another. I just worry that bad server, inability to do user enhancements (for example, ignore thread is a feature that can be added to the newest versions of vBulletin which may have kept gaz around), and a bad team will cost us more quality users.

I'll throw something together this week and let you know when it's ready to go.

Stinger
11-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Oh, lots of people have been blasted for it over time, and I wouldn't be shocked if I get blasted for it as well.

OH **** you for even thinking about this :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Now that is out of the way...

morphius
11-05-2007, 01:57 PM
I sent Kyle an IM a while ago now that he is online, figure he is probably busy with a work issue.

SPchief
11-05-2007, 02:05 PM
I just got a "the server is busy, please try again later" message. ON A MONDAY

JBucc
11-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Let's start another site. It would be fun. And if it falls on it's face we can just return here.

Oh and I only support this if I can be a mod at the new site.

Stinger
11-05-2007, 02:09 PM
I just got a "the server is busy, please try again later" message. ON A MONDAY

:shrug:

Undertaker #59
11-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Yeah, we were slammed pretty good last night, and today may be the biggest day we have ever had on Patriots Planet (in terms of continued activity over time) We have about 600 people online right now.

morphius
11-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Yeah, we were slammed pretty good last night, and today may be the biggest day we have ever had on Patriots Planet (in terms of continued activity over time) We have about 600 people online right now.
Damn man. I haven't forgotten about you either. I'm also worried that we might not even have enough space to do your upgrade.

Undertaker #59
11-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Damn man. I haven't forgotten about you either. I'm also worried that we might not even have enough space to do your upgrade.

Yeah, a couple of hours ago the other big Pats board crashed from the activity, so we got an influx of guests from there all at once. They are back up and we are chugging along at about the same speed you are here.

Took me about 10 minutes to split and merge a thread though.

StcChief
11-05-2007, 02:33 PM
so we are on EST now?

penguinz
11-05-2007, 03:12 PM
So what are we going to do about this? Do we want to continue to beg for a real server or do we want to try an alternative?

Simplex3
11-05-2007, 03:14 PM
So what are we going to do about this? Do we want to continue to beg for a real server or do we want to try an alternative?
I would go for an alternative. I'd be willing to put some effort into modding a more recent version of something to meet some of the esoteric needs we have.

morphius
11-05-2007, 03:19 PM
I would go for an alternative. I'd be willing to put some effort into modding a more recent version of something to meet some of the esoteric needs we have.
Given access I could build what we have in nearly no time, with some of the better features.

Still waiting for something from Kyle.

kcfan82
11-05-2007, 03:20 PM
I've got 2 windows 2003 servers running IIS and SQL server sitting right next to me.

The damn shame is I only have residential class cable modem speed.

F'ing Verizon FIOS better make it to KC.

smittysbar
11-05-2007, 03:22 PM
As long as I don't have to go back to NEPA:whackit: I will help all I can. Regardless of what desision is made.

Simplex3
11-05-2007, 03:22 PM
The "downside" is the loss of history, but damnit at this point I think it's entirely worth it to actually be able to access the board.

kcfan82
11-05-2007, 03:23 PM
The "downside" is the loss of history, but damnit at this point I think it's entirely worth it to actually be able to access the board.

Why don't you migrate your database to the new server?

Simplex3
11-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Why don't you migrate your database to the new server?
...because that database is possibly part of the problem. It's best to just make a clean break.

...and let's be honest, is there really anything on there that is indispensable? LMAO

BigRedChief
Still waiting for something from Kyle.
Why is that a surprise?

We had the tech committe ready to roll. We had some serious I.T. talent ready to work for free.:banghead:

morphius
The thing to keep in mind, we use a LOT of bandwidth, this isn't your, I can run this at home type of server.

JUST SAY NO TO MS and SQL Server!!!!

DaFace
11-05-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm going to try and put together a fairly comprehensive survey this evening to try and gauge how people feel about the whole situation. I think that people are, generally, getting closer to being willing to "abandon ship" than we've been in the past, but I think we need to know for sure before people start trying to build something new.

kcfan82
...because that database is possibly part of the problem. It's best to just make a clean break.

...and let's be honest, is there really anything on there that is indispensable? LMAO

Ah, is it MYSQL?

I'm just asking because I'm a DBA. If you guy ever need any help with any of the DB stuff let me know.

dtebbe
I've got 2 windows 2003 servers running IIS and SQL server sitting right next to me.

The damn shame is I only have residential class cable modem speed.

F'ing Verizon FIOS better make it to KC.

You'd get shut down for TOS violation the first game day.

DT

morphius
Why is that a surprise?

We had the tech committe ready to roll. We had some serious I.T. talent ready to work for free.:banghead:
Really, we are at a point that we almost have to have new hardware. We are low on CPU, Disk, IO and RAM. I would love to upgrade the software we have myself, but there isn't really even enough space left to do a db dump and try it.

morphius
rock and hard place.

kcfan82
11-05-2007, 03:32 PM
You'd get shut down for TOS violation the first game day.

DT

A home cable modem would probably accept 1 post every 20 seconds....

384 upload sucks.

penguinz
11-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Ah, is it MYSQL?

I'm just asking because I'm a DBA. If you guy ever need any help with any of the DB stuff let me know.
Yes, it is MySQL.

kcfan82
11-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Yes, it is MySQL.

Ah.....

I'm sure you guys know this, but SQL Express and Oracle Express are both free now and more powerfull. Of course they both require more hardware.

Like I said, if there is anything I can do to help with the Db stuff let me know. This is the only KC board I post on anymore because I like the crowd. So it would be nice for it to work on gamedays ;)

Simplex3
11-05-2007, 03:44 PM
VBulletin is MySQL based.

Simplex3
11-05-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm still convinced that there are some serious efficiency issues in the code or the database somewhere. 300 simultaneous users is a lot, but it shouldn't be crashing a server.

Undertaker #59
11-05-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm still convinced that there are some serious efficiency issues in the code or the database somewhere. 300 simultaneous users is a lot, but it shouldn't be crashing a server.

With Patriots Planet running vb 2.2.8, I am sure there are.

dirk digler
11-05-2007, 03:50 PM
I'm going to try and put together a fairly comprehensive survey this evening to try and gauge how people feel about the whole situation. I think that people are, generally, getting closer to being willing to "abandon ship" than we've been in the past, but I think we need to know for sure before people start trying to build something new.

Hurry up damn it. :D

I agree with Simplex sometimes it is just better to start all over.

Logical
11-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Morph,

I am correct in assuming PatriotsPlanet runs on the same server, correct?

Simplex3
11-05-2007, 03:59 PM
With Patriots Planet running vb 2.2.8, I am sure there are.
WTF?!?!

I'm going to assume you're serious.

:shake:

kcfan82
11-05-2007, 04:00 PM
VBulletin is MySQL based.

I actually forgot that, I helped a place called fvsports.com setup their site and they had to use it.

Weird though, I thought Vbulletin was a spin off of PHPBB and PHPBB supports lots of DB's.

Simplex3
11-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Morph,

I am correct in assuming PatriotsPlanet runs on the same server, correct?
Yes, and on even more ancient and decrepit crap than we are apparently.

Simplex3
11-05-2007, 04:01 PM
I actually forgot that, I helped a place called fvsports.com setup their site and they had to use it.

Weird though, I thought Vbulletin was a spin off of PHPBB and PHPBB supports lots of DB's.
VBulletin is pay software, so it shouldn't be a fork of phpbb.

Yes, someone paid money for this turd. hehe.

|Zach|
11-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Why is that a surprise?

Seriously, there are people here literally begging to throw time, talent, knowledge, and money at the issue.

Undertaker #59
11-05-2007, 04:04 PM
WTF?!?!

I'm going to assume you're serious.

:shake:

Absolutely.

Most of the time it isn't too bad. We don't have some of the 3+ features (like REP), but I have been able to mod a few little things in (like a quick reply box).

The worst problem we have is I have to mod new registrations because we get about 30 registrations a day now from spam bots. There is no CAPTCHA in our registration.

morphius
11-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Okay, just talked to Kyle. He is saying that we could have the new hardware on the 16th, after that I will work to make sure we get all the software we need to get going as fast as possible.

I did say that we may just bring over the current data as an archive database, to give us a clean database to start with. I'll try to think how to do the users, whether to import them or start fresh.

I believe Pats Planet will be a part of this move as well, I'll work with Undertaker on that one. I might try unifying the two a little closer together, but eh, who knows.

morphius
cross your fingers.

Undertaker #59
11-05-2007, 04:11 PM
I believe Pats Planet will be a part of this move as well, I'll work with Undertaker on that one. I might try unifying the two a little closer together, but eh, who knows.

You know how to reach me, and feel free to email. If it is at all possible with us, we would like to keep our history. I've spent a lot of time and energy helping to make Patriots Planet what it is, so I am willing to help however I can with any issues.

kcfan82
11-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Google may have provided an answer for the server busy.

"admincp -> Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options

Simultaneous Sessions Limit and *NIX Server Load Limit"

Verify your nix# is set to 0.

dirk digler
11-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Okay, just talked to Kyle. He is saying that we could have the new hardware on the 16th, after that I will work to make sure we get all the software we need to get going as fast as possible.

I did say that we may just bring over the current data as an archive database, to give us a clean database to start with. I'll try to think how to do the users, whether to import them or start fresh.

morphius
cross your fingers.

AWESOME NEWS Morphius!

So we are actually getting new hardware and is this 100% done deal?

JBucc
11-05-2007, 04:18 PM
You know how to reach me, and feel free to email. If it is at all possible with us, we would like to keep our history.
Sorry, we're getting rid of your posts, and your Super Bowl rings.

kcfan82
11-05-2007, 04:19 PM

morphius
cross your fingers.

If you migrate the current database it should bring over the user.

There should be a users table in the database, and another table with the hash values of the passwords.

Simplex3
11-05-2007, 04:35 PM
There should be a users table in the database, and another table with the hash values of the passwords.
...assuming VB hasn't changed their hash algorithms or their seed. :)

penguinz
11-05-2007, 04:39 PM

morphius
cross your fingers.I will believe this when I see it. ;)

penguinz
11-05-2007, 04:41 PM
...assuming VB hasn't changed their hash algorithms or their seed. :)I am pretty sure they started using a SALT now so you would have to run their upgrade scripts to convert the users to the latest build then import them into the clean install of the forums.

Or just run the upgrade scripts and keep all the worthless poop threads around. ;)

kcfan82
11-05-2007, 04:42 PM
I am pretty sure they started using a SALT now so you would have to run their upgrade scripts to convert the users to the latest build then import them into the clean install of the forums.

Or just run the upgrade scripts and keep all the worthless poop threads around. ;)

Right, I say just upgrade this site here on this server and then move it..

Seems pretty seamless.

DaFace
11-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Right, I say just upgrade this site here on this server and then move it..

Seems pretty seamless.

The issue, if I understand it correctly, is that there's not enough space on the server to do any kind of an upgrade. It's pretty much maxed out.

BigRedChief
11-05-2007, 06:14 PM

morphius
cross your fingers.
Remember you have some highly paid DBA's to run ideas across. You don't have to do all the work.

Maybe we should re-open the tech committe forum?

morphius
11-06-2007, 08:20 AM
You know how to reach me, and feel free to email. If it is at all possible with us, we would like to keep our history. I've spent a lot of time and energy helping to make Patriots Planet what it is, so I am willing to help however I can with any issues.
My goal with both is to keep the old data, but maybe in archive read only format. Hopefully that will clear up a lot of the issue we are all having.

I'm going to try using the impex tool to do the user transfer, God willing that will work. I haven't done a lot of reading on it yet, but I have a week to get caught up on it.

penguinz
11-06-2007, 08:27 AM
My goal with both is to keep the old data, but maybe in archive read only format. Hopefully that will clear up a lot of the issue we are all having.

I'm going to try using the impex tool to do the user transfer, God willing that will work. I haven't done a lot of reading on it yet, but I have a week to get caught up on it.I have used IMPEX to migrate from another forum into vBulletin and it is a decent tool.

Also... I am not sure how vBulletin is configured here but make sure that the attachments are stored via files ystem and not in the SQL. It will help with the performance very significantly. ;)

StcChief
11-06-2007, 08:27 AM
The issue, if I understand it correctly, is that there's not enough space on the server to do any kind of an upgrade. It's pretty much maxed out.
Didn't we figure that with tech. committee new Hardware and fresh DB instance would be needed for any upgrade of VBull/ MySql....

old hardware could be used for playground/sandbox testing.

morphius
11-06-2007, 08:37 AM
I have used IMPEX to migrate from another forum into vBulletin and it is a decent tool.

Also... I am not sure how vBulletin is configured here but make sure that the attachments are stored via files ystem and not in the SQL. It will help with the performance very significantly. ;)
Ours is that way, Patriots is not, but it will be after the migration.

Seriously, if anyone has any suggestions, don't be afraid to make them. I may be stubborn, but I'm not a complete moron (emphases on complete).

Stc - I may hit you up with some DBA stuff if I run into ANY issues.

kcfan82
11-06-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm not sure how you guys are setup and if you're using IIS, Apache, etc.

Last time I moved one of these it was as simple as installing the c:\PHP folder and setting up the PHP environment and MYSQL on the new server. Backing up the Mysql DB and the website folder in wwwroot. Moving them both to the new server, moving the websiste to the new server. Then you put the database in place, and I think you change the server name in the config.php file and you're off and going.

I'd have to dig up my notes :)

morphius
11-06-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure how you guys are setup and if you're using IIS, Apache, etc.

Last time I moved one of these it was as simple as installing the c:\PHP folder and setting up the PHP environment and MYSQL on the new server. Backing up the Mysql DB and the website folder in wwwroot. Moving them both to the new server, moving the websiste to the new server. Then you put the database in place, and I think you change the server name in the config.php file and you're off and going.

I'd have to dig up my notes :)
Well, we are also doing a software upgrade with this, so it is going to take a bit more work then just a server migration. Running for years on a beta version of 3.0 is a huge issue, IMO. Not to mention those poor pats guys, their software is almost as old as Skip.

I also plan to bring Simplex in on the testing as soon as I get it ready so that he can't verify his cppiggy.

kcfan82
11-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Well, we are also doing a software upgrade with this, so it is going to take a bit more work then just a server migration. Running for years on a beta version of 3.0 is a huge issue, IMO. Not to mention those poor pats guys, their software is almost as old as Skip.

Wow, you guys are a few versions behind. If you guys do upgrade your hardware, you guys should look into a content manager for your homepage. There are lots of free ones out there that run on PHP.

A content manager gives you a place to post articles, you can add scoreboards, video and audio players. Basically a pre compiled website ready to go.

For one of my boards we use dotnetnuke, I know another good one is joomla.

dotnetnuke looks like this www.talkhuskers.com

kcfan82
11-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Here is what joomla looks like, both are free I believe.

http://www.fvsports.com/

morphius
11-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Wow, you guys are a few versions behind. If you guys do upgrade your hardware, you guys should look into a content manager for your homepage. There are lots of free ones out there that run on PHP.

A content manager gives you a place to post articles, you can add scoreboards, video and audio players. Basically a pre compiled website ready to go.

For one of my boards we use dotnetnuke, I know another good one is joomla.

dotnetnuke looks like this www.talkhuskers.com
That is something we were working towards with the Tech Committee. I plan to work on that as well, it is just a bit further out as I haven't done it before and need a little play time till I can come up with something that I will be happy with.

kcfan82
11-06-2007, 08:57 AM
That is something we were working towards with the Tech Committee. I plan to work on that as well, it is just a bit further out as I haven't done it before and need a little play time till I can come up with something that I will be happy with.

Sounds good man, if you guys opt to go the dotnetnuke www.dotnetnuke.com let me know. I have a bunch of add ons for it I collected including a youtube type video player which you can play on the homepage. As well as a scoreboard, and some other sports related stuff.

Later

morphius
11-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Sounds good man, if you guys opt to go the dotnetnuke www.dotnetnuke.com let me know. I have a bunch of add ons for it I collected including a youtube type video player which you can play on the homepage. As well as a scoreboard, and some other sports related stuff.

Later
excellent, thanks!

Phobia
11-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Okay, just talked to Kyle. He is saying that we could have the new hardware on the 16th,
The 16th of what month and year?

dirk digler
11-06-2007, 09:18 AM

LMAO

morphius
11-06-2007, 09:20 AM
lol...

You are not helping.

DaFace
11-06-2007, 09:31 AM
I'll kinda sorta hold off on any Planet survey until the 16th I guess. Just in case hell freezes over and everything does get done, the survey would be for a moot point.

morphius
11-06-2007, 09:35 AM
I'll kinda sorta hold off on any Planet survey until the 16th I guess. Just in case hell freezes over and everything does get done, the survey would be for a moot point.
Sounds good.

penguinz
11-06-2007, 10:03 AM

Later
DotNet Nuke is an IIS .net 2.x product. This site is all php/mysql/apache on a linux server (BSD would be much better).

kcfan82
11-06-2007, 12:15 PM
DotNet Nuke is an IIS .net 2.x product. This site is all php/mysql/apache on a linux server (BSD would be much better).

Actually you're right.......

I didn't know you guys were running Linux, because it's no problem to run PHP and .NET/ASP on a Windows box but it would suck to interface the two unless you keep them separate.

Joomla is PHP though http://www.joomla.org/content/view/3677/1/

I've never seen BSD.

Mr. Laz
11-07-2007, 10:08 AM
server freakin out again today some......

penguinz
11-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Actually you're right.......

I didn't know you guys were running Linux, because it's no problem to run PHP and .NET/ASP on a Windows box but it would suck to interface the two unless you keep them separate.

Joomla is PHP though http://www.joomla.org/content/view/3677/1/

I've never seen BSD.BSD is an OS not a portal. Joomla is OK but I would go with Drupal or ModX over it.

penguinz
11-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Piece of junk.

morphius
11-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Thing was stuck in io wait hell, not sure what caused it.

afchiefs
11-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Noticed it happened after the lounge changed names!

The server is an MU Fan :D

penguinz
11-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Tomorrow is the 16th.

morphius
11-15-2007, 03:56 PM
He is waiting on the company to send him a requisition confirmation, so no, "he didn't forget".

penguinz
11-29-2007, 11:01 PM
It is now November 29th.

DaFace
11-29-2007, 11:06 PM
It is now November 29th.

Go figure.

Of course, the server seems to be running much better now that our season's in the shitter.

Phobia
11-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Go figure.

Of course, the server seems to be running much better now that our season's in the shitter.

I'm thinking hits are at about 25% too.

Phobia
11-29-2007, 11:09 PM
It is now November 29th.
Don't take it out on Kyle because your scrote is getting cut on.

penguinz
11-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Don't take it out on Kyle because your scrote is getting cut on.Leave my scrote out of this conversation. :P

Bob Dole
11-30-2007, 02:23 AM
Don't take it out on Kyle because your scrote is getting cut on.

Ending a sentence in a preposition is something up with which Bob Dole will not put.

DaFace
12-03-2007, 10:28 PM
Damn Pats fans.

dirk digler
12-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Hey Daface I thought you were going to start a poll?

This server sucks ass

morphius
12-03-2007, 10:55 PM
3 IM's, no response... not much else I can do.

Valiant
12-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Damn Pats fans.

Is that what it is??? Please tell me we do not share the same server with them???

Really wish he would sell ChiefsPlanet to somebody else that wants it..

luv
12-03-2007, 11:13 PM
I didn't know we shared a server. Do they not get a lot of traffic?

DaFace
12-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Hey Daface I thought you were going to start a poll?

This server sucks ass

Well I was, but then we got word that the new equipment was ordered. Perhaps I need to get back to work on it.

DaFace
12-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Is that what it is??? Please tell me we do not share the same server with them???

Really wish he would sell ChiefsPlanet to somebody else that wants it..

Yep. We share a server with PatriotsPlanet, and their software is even more outdated (read: inefficient) than ours.

dirk digler
12-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Well I was, but then we got word that the new equipment was ordered. Perhaps I need to get back to work on it.

Yeah I think we are past the 16th of course he didn't say what month or year or decade or century. :)

DaFace
12-04-2007, 12:04 AM
So...any particular requests for this survey I'm putting together? You can send them via PM if you'd like.

Mr. Plow
12-04-2007, 12:15 AM
I hear Scout has new and improved software.........

Phobia
12-04-2007, 12:31 AM
So...any particular requests for this survey I'm putting together? You can send them via PM if you'd like.
What is the purpose of the survey? I have plenty of questions but mostly for Kyle - not for the purposes of embarrassing him nor calling him out but for enlightenment.

I've always been perplexed as to his priorities. The Planet seems to be very far down his list based on his actions (empty promises, missed deadlines, ancient beta software, absenteeism, turning down free help, etc) but to hear him speak of the place he takes a great deal of pride and ownership. I honestly don't have the foggiest idea what drives him. I no longer know his long-term plan. He's an incredibly nice guy. On a personal level I like and respect him. But from a partnership/professional standpoint he made my decision to leave and go to Warpaint very easy....

DaFace
12-04-2007, 12:35 AM
What is the purpose of the survey? I have plenty of questions but mostly for Kyle - not for the purposes of embarrassing him nor calling him out but for enlightenment.

Just to gauge where people are at regarding other options for a server. A number of people have suggested possibilities, but it's tough to tell whether the Planet's citizens would be willing to make a change or not. I think most of us are more than willing to let Kyle get things figured out, but the empty promises are getting a little difficult to bear.

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2007, 12:36 AM
IReally wish he would sell ChiefsPlanet to somebody else that wants it..

Be careful what you wish for. Be VERY careful what you wish for.

While the Chiefsplanet server may go down from time to time, the last time I checked, there are no advertising banners. No annoying screens to get to the forums. No pop up ads. No nonsense.

Do you really want this server to be owned by a corporate entity?

I don't.

I've donated money in the past and others have as well. I'd rather take some money out of my own pocket to keep Chiefsplanet FREE, as opposed to the abomination that is WPI or other similar sites.

Be CAREFUL what you wish for.

DaFace
12-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Be careful what you wish for. Be VERY careful what you wish for.

While the Chiefsplanet server may go down from time to time, the last time I checked, there are no advertising banners. No annoying screens to get to the forums. No pop up ads. No nonsense.

Do you really want this server to be owned by a corporate entity?

I don't.

I've donated money in the past and others have as well. I'd rather take some money out of my own pocket to keep Chiefsplanet FREE, as opposed to the abomination that is WPI or other similar sites.

Be CAREFUL what you wish for.

I don't think that selling out is even close to what people are thinking, FWIW.

DaneMcCloud
12-04-2007, 12:41 AM
I don't think that selling out is even close to what people are thinking, FWIW.

Whatever.

It's Kyle's deal and to me, it's been a great 7+ years.

"Change" could be bad.