PDA

View Full Version : Is there any hope...

FringeNC
11-05-2007, 02:06 PM
that Herm will attempt to build a high-powered offense to compete with the Pats, Colts, and Cowboys, or is Herm content to take a 25th-ranked offense into the playoffs every other year?

Zouk
11-05-2007, 02:09 PM
It's all about the QB. You play one way when you have a great one, and another when you don't The careers of Belichick and Dungy show this to be true.

FringeNC
11-05-2007, 02:12 PM
It's all about the QB. You play one way when you have a great one, and another when you don't The careers of Belichick and Dungy show this to be true.

If so, why are we wasting time with Huard? All this talk of comparing Croyle to Montana, Tony G. stating Croyle would be one of the best players in the league, etc., and we aren't playing him.

DFB
11-05-2007, 02:14 PM
That's not Herm's philosophy. The days of putting up 40+ pts/gm are over.

Stinger
11-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Just my opinion but we should shore up the line before we talk about improving the QB or the offense in general. Offense usally goes as far as the line will get you or protect you there so to speak.

tk13
11-05-2007, 02:17 PM
If so, why are we wasting time with Huard? All this talk of comparing Croyle to Montana, Tony G. stating Croyle would be one of the best players in the league, etc., and we aren't playing him.
Either Carl's against it, or Herm truly doesn't think he's ready. And Herm's shown that he has no problem playing young guys here, so that's not it. Croyle takes 40 percent of the snaps in practice during the week... Troy Aikman was stunned by that yesterday on the broadcast, said that's unheard of.

FringeNC
11-05-2007, 02:20 PM
That's not Herm's philosophy. The days of putting up 40+ pts/gm are over.

Well, that's the question. If Herm TRULY believes you can have playoff success with a mediocre to bad offense, we're doomed.

You have to be able to throw the ball and put up points to win playoff games.

Zouk
11-05-2007, 02:22 PM

That's all hype. They say the same things about every 1st day QB before they play.

We're not playing him because after the off-season and pre-season, Herm decided Huard gives the team the best chance to win this year. That may change any week, I don't know. But after seeing the performance in the pre-season it was clear he was not going to be a great QB this year, and we certainly don't have great receivers, which means we can't play like the Pats and the Colts. Once we can accept this, watching games becomes much more enjoyable.

FringeNC
11-05-2007, 02:25 PM
That's all hype. They say the same things about every 1st day QB before they play.

We're not playing him because after the off-season and pre-season, Herm decided Huard gives the team the best chance to win this year. That may change any week, I don't know. But after seeing the performance in the pre-season it was clear he was not going to be a great QB this year, and we certainly don't have great receivers, which means we can't play like the Pats and the Colts. Once we can accept this, watching games becomes much more enjoyable.

Why could Denver make the change last year, and we can't this year? I just don't see how it's possible to rationalize playing Huard.

Rausch
11-05-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't care if we win 13-12 or 45-44.

A win and a Lombardi are all that matter...

tk13
11-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Why could Denver make the change last year, and we can't this year? I just don't see how it's possible to rationalize playing Huard.
There's a catch to that though. Every single QB is not exactly the same. Just because Cutler did it a certain way, doesn't mean we should do it that way with Croyle. Ben Roethlisberger got to play starting in week 3 or so. Tony Romo had to wait 2-3 years to play. Whatever happens, we should play Croyle when he's ready to handle it, not based on somebody else's schedule.

FringeNC
11-05-2007, 02:30 PM
I don't care if we win 13-12 or 45-44.

A win and a Lombardi are all that matter...

You actually think that it's possible to win a Lombardi without having a high-powered offense? I don't.

tk13
11-05-2007, 02:32 PM
You actually think that it's possible to win a Lombardi without having a high-powered offense? I don't.
You have to be way better on offense than we are right now, but defense is far more important than offense. Always has been, and probably will be. Just like yesterday, everybody got caught up in the Colts/Pats offensive hype, and like usual, when you have two equally talented great teams, the defense made the difference.

FringeNC
11-05-2007, 02:35 PM
You have to be way better on offense than we are right now, but defense is far more important than offense. Always has been, and probably will be. Just like yesterday, everybody got caught up in the Colts/Pats offensive hype, and like usual, when you have two equally talented great teams, the defense made the difference.

I disagree. It was Indy's ability to generate first downs that kept them in the game.

There were hardly any punts in that game.

DaKCMan AP
11-05-2007, 02:36 PM
You can take some solace in the fact that Herm's not fooling himself. He knows we're not there on offense.

The defense is getting better. We're still a couple of players short. But we have laid down a solid foundation.

The offense is not where it needs to be. We are a team in transition. You can't do both sides of the ball at the same time. The greatest thing is we're still finding ways to win.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=173659&highlight=herm+diary

Rausch
11-05-2007, 02:40 PM

The Steelers didn't, the Ravens didn't, the Pats sure didn't their first SB. I figured I'd stick to post-FA since there's a huge difference before the era of FA.

I wouldn't sneeze at just making the SB at this point. Teams like the Bears, Titans, and Giants all made it carried by defense.

It's not easy, but definitely possible. And honestly, the only things we need immediately are two OT's and good play at QB. Our tackles play like $#it and open up nothing for Holmes/LJ...

tk13
11-05-2007, 02:42 PM
I disagree. It was Indy's ability to generate first downs that kept them in the game.

There were hardly any punts in that game.
That's exactly what Herm wants to do anyway, build an offense that can move the ball and eat up clock. But you have to have a defense playing at a high level. That Pats offense had literally been unstoppable, and the Colts played great defense and held them down, picked Brady off down by the goal line, etc.

I think having an offense that can get first downs is good obviously, but I don't think that's an indicator of success. The 2004 Chiefs team set the NFL record for first downs, and we didn't even make the playoffs that year.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-05-2007, 02:44 PM
The Steelers didn't, the Ravens didn't, the Pats sure didn't their first SB. I figured I'd stick to post-FA since there's a huge difference before the era of FA.

I wouldn't sneeze at just making the SB at this point. Teams like the Bears, Titans, and Giants all made it carried by defense.

It's not easy, but definitely possible. And honestly, the only things we need immediately are two OT's and good play at QB. Our tackles play like $#it and open up nothing for Holmes/LJ...

Two OTs, a new LG and anyone other than Huard at QB.

We don't need a "high powered offense", but we need a more effective one than we have and that starts at the QB position first and foremost.

Hutard is not the answer. I don't know if Croyle is, but I'd rather face the unknown than continue doing the same thing with a proven failure.

cookster50
11-05-2007, 02:52 PM
that Herm will attempt to build a high-powered offense to compete with the Pats, Colts, and Cowboys

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Whew, that's a good one.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Deberg_1990
11-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Either Carl's against it, or Herm truly doesn't think he's ready. And Herm's shown that he has no problem playing young guys here, so that's not it. Croyle takes 40 percent of the snaps in practice during the week... Troy Aikman was stunned by that yesterday on the broadcast, said that's unheard of.

Im almost positive Herm has his marching orders from Carl.

"You only play Brodie if Damon is dead or we are more than 3 games out of the playoff hunt"

"Chiefs fans deserve for us to remain competetive"

"Ive got to keep those stands full and beer flowing"