PDA

View Full Version : WHITLOCK - It’s not worth giving big bucks to veteran running backs

Hammock Parties
11-06-2007, 10:58 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/349976.html

If Larry Johnson is indeed seriously injured or out for the season, it could impact the rest of the league and Adrian Peterson.

The lesson to be learned is that it’s foolish to pay big money for a veteran running back. The position is just too high-risk in terms of injury, and good running backs are too easy to find.

If LJ’s foot is broken, Carl Peterson and the Chiefs have now been burned twice at running back in five years.

In an effort to be fair, and satisfy his head coach and star running back, Peterson renegotiated Priest Holmes’ contract in 2003, giving the then-Pro Bowler close to $10 million in additional guaranteed money when he was already under contract. Halfway through the 2005 season, Holmes suffered another injury and quit football for two years.

In an effort to be fair, and satisfy his head coach and star running back, Peterson renegotiated Johnson’s contract in 2007, giving the then-Pro Bowler close to $20 million in additional guaranteed money when he was already under contract. Halfway through the 2007 season, Johnson suffered an injury and hobbled to his Maybach 62.

In doing the right thing in both cases, history might say, Peterson did the wrong thing.

In the salary-cap, huge-signing-bonus era, the wise approach with running backs might be to keep them three or four years and discard them. They take too much punishment.

Adrian Peterson is the best back to hit the NFL since Earl Campbell. Given his injury history at Oklahoma, the Vikings should not re-sign Peterson once his rookie deal forces a renegotiation. I don’t care if he’s rewritten the NFL record book in his first three years.

The goal in football should be to find, develop and lock up a franchise quarterback. There is no such thing as a franchise running back. You can rent a running back. The Colts are on their third “star” running back — Joseph Addai — of the Peyton Manning era. The Patriots rent running backs.

Obviously that’s easy to do when you have Manning and Tom Brady.

I’m not suggesting that running backs have little value. They have a ton. Terrell Davis, during his brief career, helped John Elway win two Super Bowls. Marshall Faulk, during his three-year run of dominance in St. Louis, helped Kurt Warner and the Rams win one Super Bowl and play in another one.

But running backs don’t start 150 straight games like Manning and Brett Favre. Running backs get hurt, and some of them (Shaun Alexander) get tired of taking the hits.

You don’t want to be the GM that hands out $30 million in guaranteed money to running backs who chill in San Antonio or turn off your fan base to the point that fans openly root for the old guy.

That’s not a rip on King Carl. I actually feel sorry for the King. Bad luck is following him around right now. Johnson has been very durable. The tackle that injured his foot was rather freakish.

If you can blame Peterson for any of this, it’s his inability to draft and develop a franchise quarterback. In 20 years, you have to hit on one QB. Damn near every team in the league has drafted and started its own homegrown quarterback. Not the Chiefs. We’ve had Joe Montana, Steve Bono, Rich Gannon, Elvis Grbac, Trent Green, Steve DeBerg and Damon Huard.

Marty Schottenheimer fooled Peterson and this city. He convinced us it was OK to rent quarterbacks. Great teams and organizations don’t sustain success with rented quarterbacks. And teams with rented, previously owned QBs are forced to overpay for running backs.

11-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Wow. When did Mecca take over Jason's job?

Hammock Parties
11-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Marty Schottenheimer fooled Peterson and this city. He convinced us it was OK to rent quarterbacks. Great teams and organizations don’t sustain success with rented quarterbacks. And teams with rented, previously owned QBs are forced to overpay for running backs.

Whoa. This last line knocked it out of the park for me...so true.

tk13
11-06-2007, 11:06 PM
They funny thing is Marty developed a QB in Cleveland with Bernie Kosar. And in San Diego he developed two of them. I don't know that he personally developed them, really... but they played.

kcxiv
11-06-2007, 11:10 PM
He's a dumb****. Priest quit football for 2 years. Yeah, i am sure he quit.

Buehler445
11-06-2007, 11:20 PM
I liked the pot shot at Shaun Alexander:)

Kerberos
11-07-2007, 06:18 AM

Although they didn't "SUSTAIN" success long term rented QB's have done the job once or twice. Whitlock has a point but it has some flaws.

Trent Dilfer and the 2000 Ravens anyone?

Jim Plunket and ?Year Raiders anyone?

Kurt Warner and the 99 RAMS anyone?

HMc
11-07-2007, 06:29 AM
i don't claim to know shit, but some of us were going on about this last season BEFORE he had a possibly career ending injury. It doesn't make any sense to pay these dudes over 8 years with a 20m bonus or whatever, theyre too easy to replace, and they stop becoming productive anyway.

In addition to that, LJ don't give a shit anymore now that he's got his $ and his maybach anyway

greg63
11-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Wow. When did Mecca take over Jason's job?

Heh!

greg63
11-07-2007, 06:48 AM
i don't claim to know shit, but some of us were going on about this last season BEFORE he had a possibly career ending injury. It doesn't make any sense to pay these dudes over 8 years with a 20m bonus or whatever, theyre too easy to replace, and they stop becoming productive anyway.

In addition to that, LJ don't give a shit anymore now that he's got his $ and his maybach anyway

Eggsactly!

hawkchief
11-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Carl and Clark are getting their just desserts. They knowingly spent a fortune on a locker-room cancer that plays a high risk position, playing behind a dog-shit O-line in a rebuilding year where that money could have been spent more wisely, and/or a trade could have garned us draft choices.

No surprise, they got burned - exactly what they deserved for their dumbassery!

Eleazar
11-07-2007, 06:58 AM
I said trade him, that running backs aren't that hard to replace...

greg63
11-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Carl and Clark are getting their just desserts. They knowingly spent a fortune on a locker-room cancer that plays a high risk position, playing behind a dog-shit O-line in a rebuilding year where that money could have been spent more wisely, and/or a trade could have garned us draft choices.

No surprise, they got burned - exactly what they deserved for their dumbassery!

In hind site it would have been better to have let him sit out the entire season considering his stats this year to date.

TEX
11-07-2007, 07:09 AM
In hind site it would have been better to have let him sit out the entire season considering his stats this year to date.

That or trade him is what some of us were saying all preseason...

I suspect the reason why nothing happened was because at the time, they figured that Croyle would be the starter and they needed to have the threat of a strong running game to help him.

Reerun_KC
11-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Getting rid of LJ for mulitple picks was the smart thing to do...

But we are the Chiefs and we have nothing to do with intelligence...

StcChief
11-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Insurance money to cover LJ injury maybe part of guarantee package... so Chiefs may NOT be out as much.

Rausch
11-07-2007, 08:28 AM
I said trade him, that running backs aren't that hard to replace...

Yes, they're nearly impossible to replace.

Not for the rest of the league, but in KC they're like finding diamonds in a gravel road. We went from Okoye to Holmes before having a true starting running back.

A decade. And the year we took LJ was the 1st time I can remember Carl ever selecting a RB in the 1st so don't think we would have traded LJ (for about a 3rd) and then been able to find someone to replace him.

Baby Lee
11-07-2007, 08:40 AM
We weren't forced to overpay our RBs because we rented our QB in either case. First, Green was at the top of his game and had no effect on Priest's negotiation, except a drive to keep together a top offense. Second, each RB was paid because they were the best in the league at the time that their contracts were approaching a divisive juncture.
We overpaid to reward production, not out of panic over the QB situation.

ChiefGator
11-07-2007, 11:27 AM

Not for the rest of the league, but in KC they're like finding diamonds in a gravel road. We went from Okoye to Holmes before having a true starting running back.

A decade. And the year we took LJ was the 1st time I can remember Carl ever selecting a RB in the 1st so don't think we would have traded LJ (for about a 3rd) and then been able to find someone to replace him.

Exactly. Maybe Whitlock is too dumb to remember, but I remember Kimble as our feature back, Cloud, Bennett... bad, bad years where we couldn't find anyone.

And also, Priest renogiated his contract due to injury so we didn't pay him the whopping amount the original contract says.

2/3 rd's of Whitlock's articles just cause me to roll my eyes when I read the title.

Ultra Peanut
11-07-2007, 11:38 AM
NFL players don't deserve big bucks, because they might get hurt.

JohnnyV13
11-07-2007, 11:45 AM

Did you forget Harvey Williams in 91 and Greg Hill in 94?

Direckshun
11-07-2007, 12:31 PM
I don't know why Whitlock is playing the either/or game with franchise QBs vs. franchise RBs. The obvious best solution is to have both.

Which, to Herm's credit, he's tried to do with Brodie Croyle, but to Herm's detriment, he hasn't given him a shot.

blueballs
11-07-2007, 12:36 PM
I'll not waste my time reading
Whitlock's latest attemp at look at me

StcChief
11-07-2007, 01:08 PM
WHITLOCK - It’s not worth giving big bucks to veteran running backs
It's not worth it to keep selling BBQ to overweight two bite writers that will become a burden on society in their old age.

Psyko Tek
11-07-2007, 01:15 PM
nah he'll have a heart attack or stroke before then

Hydrae
11-07-2007, 01:27 PM
JWhit really doesn't like either of our RBs, does he? Sounds to me like he is trying to set up LJ's injury as potentially "fake" like he has tried to say for two years with Priest.

Give it up Jason. I am sorry you were not capable of playing in the NFL and getting your own big payday. That doesn't mean you need to spend the rest of your life taking potshots at those with more skills.

Rausch
11-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Did you forget Harvey Williams in 91 and Greg Hill in 94?

Yes.

You didn't?...

DMAC
11-07-2007, 01:40 PM
LJ earned his contract when he waved that flag.

It gave me a cool wallpaper for my desktop.

Thanks, LJ. You are free to go.

GoHuge
11-07-2007, 01:42 PM
I think Herm is GREAT!!! YAAAAAY

FringeNC
11-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Whitlock is correct. Well-run teams spend the big bucks on QBs, LTs, and DEs -- not RBs.

Locking up Jared Allen should have been much more of a priority than LJ.

Ultra Peanut
11-07-2007, 03:33 PM
There were no QBs or LTs available to spend big bucks on, so I guess it's better to just not have ANYONE that's worth a shit.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
11-07-2007, 04:06 PM

And yet you continue to prefer Huard.

:rolleyes:

OnTheWarpath15
11-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Kevin Harlan made a great point about this.

He used the Colts as an example. Instead of giving Edge a huge contract, they slapped him with the franchise tag 3 seasons in a row.

Dude was getting paid, and the Colts weren't out anything if he got injured or started stinking up the joint.

Then they let him walk and drafted a replacement.

the Talking Can
11-07-2007, 06:33 PM
mecca should sue Whitlock for plagerism....

greg63
11-08-2007, 08:25 PM

Marcus Allen wasn't "a true starting running back"???

KcMizzou
11-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Marcus Allen wasn't "a true starting running back"???I don't think Marcus was ever a "feature back" for us... was he?

Did he ever carry the full load?

I mean, he was fantastic, but as I remember it... we intentionally used him sparingly.

greg63
11-08-2007, 10:59 PM
I don't think Marcus was ever a "feature back" for us... was he?

Did he ever carry the full load?

I mean, he was fantastic, but as I remember it... we intentionally used him sparingly.

I think he was the featured back in his first couple of years with us; while we were grooming Greg Hill.

KcMizzou
11-08-2007, 11:09 PM
I think he was the featured back in his first couple of years with us; while we were grooming Greg Hill.Really?

You could be right... but I don't remember it that way.

I've killed a few brain cells since then, though.

greg63
11-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Really?

You could be right... but I don't remember it that way.

I've killed a few brain cells since then, though.

Of course I, too, am not the consummate Chief History expert. :)

KcMizzou
11-08-2007, 11:52 PM
Of course I, too, am not the consummate Chief History expert. :)Where the hell is Hitsaquealackydacky when you need him?

Mecca
11-09-2007, 01:51 AM
I want some royalties from this...