PDA

View Full Version : Don Shula says Patriots should get an asterisk if they go undefeated

tk13
11-07-2007, 01:10 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspp2shula1107nbnov07,0,3964617.story?track=rss

Don Shula says a perfect Patriots team should get an asterisk

Staff report | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
November 7, 2007

Legendary coach Don Shula believes New England has a legitimate shot at joining his '72 Dolphins in going undefeated in the regular season and playoffs.

But if they can pull it off, Shula told the New York Daily News, the NFL needs to place an asterisk next to the Patriots in the record books because coach Bill Belichick got caught cheating.

"The Spygate thing has diminished what they've accomplished," Shula said. "You would hate to have that attached to your accomplishments. They've got it.

"You don't know what was on those tapes and how much it helped. I think the commissioner just wanted it to go away."

penguinz
11-07-2007, 01:12 PM
He is a bitter old man. This is also old news. ;)

StcChief
11-07-2007, 01:14 PM
yeah. Shula never cheated.

just afraid this Pats team has a real shot at 16-0.

Reerun_KC
Shula is a whine ****tool....

Go back to selling your NutraSystem crap and shut the **** up you fat ****!

Amnorix
Since Spygate didn't affect even one win this year, it's hard to understand what he's talking about.

And he no Patriots fan (remember the snow clearing FG kick incident).

So yeah, whatever...

Molitoth
Heh what a pussy. The dolphins didn't even have to play as many games as the Pats will.

Amnorix
11-07-2007, 01:15 PM
yeah. Shula never cheated.

just afraid this Pats team has a real shot at 16-0.

Little known factoid.

The Colts charged the Dolphins with tampering in gaining Shula, which cost them their first round draft pick in 1970.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Dolphins

Amnorix
11-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Heh what a pussy. The dolphins didn't even have to play as many games as the Pats will.

It's also been proven that the '72 'phins had a historically weak opposition that year. Doesn't detract much from the accomplishment, but it is worth noting.

JBucc
11-07-2007, 01:16 PM
The 72 dolphins should get an asterisk for their pathetic schedule.

Sure-Oz
11-07-2007, 01:21 PM
The dolphins should get cut from the league

Bob Swenson
11-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Since Spygate didn't affect even one win this year, it's hard to understand what he's talking about.

And he no Patriots fan (remember the snow clearing FG kick incident).

So yeah, whatever...

What was Shula's record against your Patsies? I bet you weren't much of a football fan during the John Hannah days.

All I have to say is Shanahan owns Belicheat and I know it bugs the hell out of youROFL

Mr. Kotter
11-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Don....shut-up. And go play shuffleboard or something. :rolleyes:

DaKCMan AP
11-07-2007, 01:26 PM
It's also been proven that the '72 'phins had a historically weak opposition that year. Doesn't detract much from the accomplishment, but it is worth noting.

They only beat two teams that had a winning record.

Mr Luzcious
11-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Of course they did win the super bowl.. so they had to be pretty good.

Demonpenz
11-07-2007, 01:35 PM
the dolphins should have their title stripped because of zonka's preformance as announcer in american gladiators

patteeu
11-07-2007, 01:36 PM
I agree with Shula. Just as the Broncos superbowls were marred with the stench of cheating, so to has BB tainted any accomplishments of this year's Patriots. Paying a fine is like saying "sorry", it doesn't really make it better.

tk13
11-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Of course they did win the super bowl.. so they had to be pretty good.

Yeah, I'd agree with that... I'm not sure if the 72 Dolphins were truly the greatest team ever but they weren't a pretender. There have been plenty of times where somebody got a high playoff seed with a weak schedule then got exposed.

Really, I know I've said it since week 2, but I think part of it this year is that the entire NFL sucks. The Patriots are probably one of the greatest teams of all time, and they picked the perfect year to do it... the quality of play in the NFL isn't as good, even as good as last year... so they can cakewalk through it. Teams like Jax and Pittsburgh were .500 teams that missed the playoffs... and they barely changed anything and are now among the best in the AFC. The Chargers, Ravens, Chiefs, Jets, Broncos, Bengals were all playoff contenders who have dropped off dramatically. And nobody stepped up and took their place... teams like the Raiders, Bills, Texans are still .500 or below. Actually we've probably dropped off the least of that group, which is why we actually hold a playoff spot right now. It looks like the perfect mix for somebody to go undefeated.

Adept Havelock
11-07-2007, 01:41 PM

Amnorix
11-07-2007, 01:43 PM
What was Shula's record against your Patsies? I bet you weren't much of a football fan during the John Hannah days.

All I have to say is Shanahan owns Belicheat and I know it bugs the hell out of youROFLYou are incorrect on both counts. I first became a fan of the team in the late 70s, when I was just a kid, and can regale you with stories from Grogs to Steaming Stanley Morgan, to the pathetic teams under Ron Erhardt, Ron Meyer and Rod Rust, and the oh-so-memorable Dick MacPherson era. The shining bright light that was the Pats Super Bowl team under Ray Berry, until crushed by the Bears, and the injuries to three key defensive players the next year during preseason.

So I paid my price, and my ticket is punched as an Official Patriots Fan(tm).

As for Shanarat, when his teams were good, they played the Patriots very well. I trust you are under no illusions what the result would be if the Patriots and Broncos played this upcoming Sunday...

I do hate the CutBlockers as a team, and their intrepid hero Horseface and Leader Shanarat, but the team of the 60s was the Packers, the 70s, the Steelers, the 80's the Niners, the 90s the Cowboys, and the team of the '00s is the Patriots, and Dungver has yet to own a decade.

With more rings than you, a better coach, a better QB, a better defense and a better team, the stars align on my side.

So eat your ****ing liver and dream of the days of Horse Face and Bad Knees, when the CutBlockers and PamSprayers were relevant to the NFL, instead of being the whipping boys of the Detroit Lions. ROFL

Rausch
11-07-2007, 01:46 PM
That's like saying that the sex you had with two playmates didn't count because they were drunk.

Whatever...

Garcia Bronco
11-07-2007, 01:46 PM
I agree with Shula. Just as the Broncos superbowls were marred with the stench of cheating, so to has BB tainted any accomplishments of this year's Patriots. Paying a fine is like saying "sorry", it doesn't really make it better.

We didn't cheat. further more there was no advantage on the field. We're literally talking about giving some one interest on their money while it was used as business cash flow to pay for a upfront stadium costs. We didn't even break a written rule. The owner needed cash on hand. that's all it was. The league didn't like it an we took it on the chin, but those trophies are as legit as Joe delaney is.was the ultimate hero.

DaKCMan AP
11-07-2007, 01:49 PM
the dolphins should have their title stripped because of zonka's preformance as announcer in american gladiators

You should have your posting privileges stripped because you don't know how to spell Csonka.

Garcia Bronco
11-07-2007, 01:49 PM
To the topic:

they as an organization cheated to gain a competitive advantage on the field, they we're warned, and continued to do so. That's cheating of the first order. they can win the Super Bowl this year...and they still cheated. They disrespected the game, the NFL, the Fans, and themselves. And nobody can say different with a straight face. I feel sorry for their fans most of all. I don't feel like they need to defend the team on it, it's not their fault that BB is a morally bankrupt individual.

cadmonkey
11-07-2007, 01:50 PM
I would understand this if we went undefeted in the past, but spygate has nothing to do with this season.

Shula, shut up.

Pitt Gorilla
11-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Why did the Patriots cheat? It's not like they didn't already have the best team.

Mr Luzcious
11-07-2007, 01:54 PM
To the topic:

they as an organization cheated to gain a competitive advantage on the field, they we're warned, and continued to do so. That's cheating of the first order. they can win the Super Bowl this year...and they still cheated. They disrespected the game, the NFL, the Fans, and themselves. And nobody can say different with a straight face. I feel sorry for their fans most of all. I don't feel like they need to defend the team on it, it's not their fault that BB is a morally bankrupt individual.

I could understand you saying that if he'd done something a little worse but.. come on. He cheated in a game. Big whoop. I'm sure many nfl teams do it. That doesn't make it right, but I think you're blowing it a bit out of proportion.

Garcia Bronco
11-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Why did the Patriots cheat? It's not like they didn't already have the best team.

That's what is stupid about it

Garcia Bronco
11-07-2007, 01:56 PM
I could understand you saying that if he'd done something a little worse but.. come on. He cheated in a game. Big whoop. I'm sure many nfl teams do it. That doesn't make it right, but I think you're blowing it a bit out of proportion.

They did it for more than one game. That's been proven in the sense that the NFL Commish received multiple complaints about it. The specifically received a letter from the office tell them to stop, as did the other 31 teams. They continued to do so. That's not blowing it out of proportion. That's calling ti like it is.

Mr Luzcious
11-07-2007, 01:57 PM
They did it for more than one game. That's been proven in the sense that the NFL Commish received multiple complaints about it. The specifically received a letter from the office tell them to stop, as did the other 31 teams. They continued to do so. That's not blowing it out of proportion. That's calling ti like it is.

You cheated a few times, therefore you are morally bankrupt and I despise you.

Garcia Bronco
11-07-2007, 02:06 PM
You cheated a few times, therefore you are morally bankrupt and I despise you.

What exactly did I cheat at?

Stewie
11-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Don Shula*

*douche bag

Garcia Bronco
11-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Yeah...I hear what you're saying Stewie...but ah...without guys like Don Shula the game might not be what it is. He's a HOF coach...if you were standing in his presence...I think you'd show him respect.

Mr Luzcious
11-07-2007, 02:14 PM
What exactly did I cheat at?

...that was your opinion, presented in sarcastic fashion.

Stewie
11-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Yeah...I hear what you're saying Stewie...but ah...without guys like Don Shula the game might not be what it is. He's a HOF coach...if you were standing in his presence...I think you'd show him respect.

I wasn't saying he was a bad coach, but making a statement like that comes across as self-serving and makes him look like an ass.

alpha_omega
11-07-2007, 02:20 PM
This looks like a good place to comment that Shula's Steakhouse sucks!!!!!!!

Rausch
11-07-2007, 02:21 PM
We didn't cheat. further more there was no advantage on the field. We're literally talking about giving some one interest on their money while it was used as business cash flow to pay for a upfront stadium costs. We didn't even break a written rule. The owner needed cash on hand. that's all it was. The league didn't like it an we took it on the chin, but those trophies are as legit as Joe delaney is.was the ultimate hero.

Dude, your team is the dirtiest in the NFL.

Grease on the jerseys, illegal and underhanded blocking by the offensive line, it's not just cheating the cap.

Don't get me wrong, Peterson and Clark can hang out in the press box and smoke crack for all I care if they make a super bowl. I'm not going to pretend I even care how we get there and I'm sure you didn't either. But lets be honest...

Skip Towne
11-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Give the Pats an asterisk and the Donkeys two of them. The cut blocking, Pam wearing salary cap cheating pieces of shit deserve at least that many for all they've been caught doing. Who knows how much else they've done.

Garcia Bronco
11-07-2007, 02:24 PM
I wasn't saying he was a bad coach, but making a statement like that comes across as self-serving and makes him look like an ass.

It's very proper for him to make that statement since he coached the only Udef team in NFL history. It's not diffrent than Sosa, McGuire, and Bonds claiming they broke Maris' record. I guess they did, but they cheated to do it.

BigMeatballDave
11-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Shula should change his Depends and stop crying.

irishjayhawk
11-07-2007, 02:26 PM

As others finally pointed out, the Vaseline on the jerseys was a good example. Hell, even got a free time out to wipe it off.

cadmonkey
11-07-2007, 02:26 PM
I cheat all the time. I mean, at least once a day I cheat on something. I'm not crying about it.

Amnorix
11-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Unrelated, but amusing -- one Pats player on an NFL Network interview today called the Pats defense the "Dark Side Defense".

Pats websites are embracing it. Hopes BB starts wearing the Emperor's version of the hoodie.

ROFL

Garcia Bronco
11-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Dude, your team is the dirtiest in the NFL.

Grease on the jerseys, illegal and underhanded blocking by the offensive line, it's not just cheating the cap.

Don't get me wrong, Peterson and Clark can hang out in the press box and smoke crack for all I care if they make a super bowl. I'm not going to pretend I even care how we get there and I'm sure you didn't either. But lets be honest...

Here we go...what exactly was on the jerseys? You don't know. Our blocking scheme is so legit your own team uses it, Brad. And we did not cheat the cap to pay players under the table as you suggested as a means of keeping them on the team.

Garcia Bronco
11-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Give the Pats an asterisk and the Donkeys two of them. The cut blocking, Pam wearing salary cap cheating pieces of shit deserve at least that many for all they've been caught doing. Who knows how much else they've done.

Cut blocks are legal Skippy. Get educated on the game buddy. Your own team does it.

Skip Towne
11-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Cut blocks are legal Skippy. Get educated on the game buddy. Your own team does it.
Your team does it with intent to injure.

Garcia Bronco
11-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Your team does it with intent to injure.

I really don't think you are in a position to really comment on what anothers "intentions" are.

Demonpenz
11-07-2007, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't mind the chiefs cheating a bit if it ment hoisting a couple of lambardi's

FAX
11-07-2007, 02:49 PM
I agree, Mr. Demonpenz. Praise the Lord and pass the asterisks.

FAX

Dartgod
11-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Here we go...what exactly was on the jerseys? You don't know.
They sprayed non-stick cooking spray on their jerseys to gain an advantage against the Chiefs defensive linemen.

The refs stopped the game while the players went to the sideline to clean up. No penalty was ever called.

Total bullshit, but I guess in the eyes of the NFL, whatever it took to get their precious Elway his trophy was fair game. :rolleyes:

Rausch
11-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Here we go...what exactly was on the jerseys? You don't know. Our blocking scheme is so legit your own team uses it, Brad. And we did not cheat the cap to pay players under the table as you suggested as a means of keeping them on the team.

So the refs asked the line to go back into the lockerroom to wipe off......nothing?

I'm sure at times we have players that do cut block in a very dirty manner, but that doesn't make it less dangerous or shady.

No, you didn't pay players to keep them on the team. You agreed to pay them years AFTER they had retired so you DIDN'T have to pay them when they were playing.

And Coors just sucks. There is no denying that. It's a fact of life, a law of nature, a constant of the universe. That beer is goat pi$$ with an old grape aftertaste.

Garcia Bronco
11-07-2007, 02:55 PM
They sprayed non-stick cooking spray on their jerseys to gain an advantage against the Chiefs defensive linemen.

The refs stopped the game while the players went to the sideline to clean up. No penalty was ever called.

Total bullshit, but I guess in the eyes of the NFL, whatever it took to get their precious Elway his trophy was fair game.
:rolleyes:

It seems strange that there was no penalty called if they were cheating. Chances are they weren't. I have no idea what they were wiping off. Neither does anyone else here,. So you can't really accuse them of cheating

MaxFects

And the bills, jets, and phins are powerhouses?

FAX
And it's not made with pure Rocky Mountain spring water either.

FAX

Groves
11-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Meanwhile, in silent, winless protest, the 2007 Dolphins march towards a different kind of elite status.

Garcia Bronco
11-07-2007, 02:58 PM
So the refs asked the line to go back into the lockerroom to wipe off......nothing?

I'm sure at times we have players that do cut block in a very dirty manner, but that doesn't make it less dangerous or shady.

No, you didn't pay players to keep them on the team. You agreed to pay them years AFTER they had retired so you DIDN'T have to pay them when they were playing.

And Coors just sucks. There is no denying that. It's a fact of life, a law of nature, a constant of the universe. That beer is goat pi$$ with an old grape aftertaste.

Who knows.

Cut blocking isn't dirty...or done illegally. It's legal. Chop blocking is illegal. We don't do that...and most teams don't. It's an accident if anything.

"No, you didn't pay players to keep them on the team. You agreed to pay them years AFTER they had retired so you DIDN'T have to pay them when they were playing."

Incorrect. We literally borrowed money from them.

Coors does suck. :)

Dartgod
11-07-2007, 02:59 PM
It seems strange that there was no penalty called if they were cheating. Chances are they weren't. I have no idea what they were wiping off. Neither does anyone else here,. So you can't really accuse them of cheating
I was at the game and know what happened. I'll post a link to an article as soon as I can find it.

Or you can continue to live in denial if it makes you feel better.

11-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Are you friggin kidding me. I had a lot of respect for Shula. This really seems beneath him though. I guess once a dolphin always a dolphin. "Spent too much time with whiny Marino I guess.

There should not be an asterisk.

barry_smilez20
11-07-2007, 03:07 PM
stop livin in the past u old asshole- records are meant to be broken

Rausch
11-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Coors does suck. :)

There is a small seed of reality planted deep inside that donkfan brain. Good. We shall work outward from there... :)

Dartgod
11-07-2007, 03:26 PM

Total bullshit, but I guess in the eyes of the NFL, whatever it took to get their precious Elway his trophy was fair game. :rolleyes:

It's hard to find old news articles without paying for them, but most of them will give you a snippet or two.

I was wrong about the cooking spray. Apparently Vaseline was the substance they chose to cheat with...

From the Rocky Mountain News 1/6/98
It might be a wonder cure for ow-ies, but that Johnson and Johnson headliner known as Vaseline has become the bane of the sporting world. The same greasy substance that once added bite to all those Gaylord Perry curveballs apparently has become a two-sport instigator.

Moments into Sunday's AFC divisional playoff with Kansas City, some members of the Denver Broncos' offensive line were ordered to the sideline to have the stuff removed from their arms.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-67596063.html

Same paper, 1/9/98

In the heat of battle, the Denver Broncos said they were just trying to stay warm.

That's why Brian Habib, Gary Zimmerman and Mark Schlereth had Vaseline on their arms at the start of Sunday's AFC divisional playoff game in frigid Kansas City, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan insisted Thursday.

Nevertheless, the NFL fined the three offensive linemen $5,000 apiece Thursday for using a foreign substance, which can make it harder for defenders to get a grip.

Shanahan said he convinced the NFL to drop $5,000 fines ...

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-67595757.html

I'm sure there are plenty of more articles out there, but I think I made my point.

Ultra Peanut
11-07-2007, 03:34 PM
I can't wait to see what people dig up about the '72 Dolphins in light of this.

patteeu
11-07-2007, 03:38 PM
The Patriots might get one of these this year. Here's the Bronco version:

Amnorix
11-07-2007, 03:38 PM
And the bills, jets, and phins are powerhouses?

Sit there and TELL ME that the Colts and Cowboys aren't two of the top five teams in the NFL, and we beat them both in THEIR house.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-07-2007, 03:46 PM
If the Pats deserve an asterisk, so do the Dolphins. The winning percentage of their opponents in 72 was something like .345 and the athletes are bigger, faster and stronger now.

Calcountry
11-07-2007, 03:59 PM

All I have to say is Shanahan owns Belicheat and I know it bugs the hell out of youROFLLet's see, Denver fan of Bob Swenson.

Pro Bowl DE of the Broncos in the late 70's and 80's.

Garcia Bronco
11-07-2007, 04:08 PM
It's hard to find old news articles without paying for them, but most of them will give you a snippet or two.

I was wrong about the cooking spray. Apparently Vaseline was the substance they chose to cheat with...

From the Rocky Mountain News 1/6/98

Same paper, 1/9/98

I'm sure there are plenty of more articles out there, but I think I made my point.

So it was such an offense that the NFL dropped the fines. And there wasn't anything on the jerseys either. While it looks bad on the surface...there isn't anything like stealing game signals. We don't even really know what the substance was if there was any at all.

Spott
11-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Shula is a whiny old bitch and his restaurants aren't worth a crap either.

Adept Havelock
11-07-2007, 05:19 PM
We don't even really know what the substance was if there was any at all.

Sure we do. The article specifically stated it existed, otherwise the refs wouldn't have stopped the game (aka "Free Timeout") for the express purpose of making them remove it. We also know what it was, as the article specifically names the substance as Vaseline. You should be quite familiar with it, as it regularly facilitates your crainal-rectal union.

If you missed those points in the article, I strongly suggest you go back and get a refund for that remedial reading comprehension course. It obviously didn't take.

As for the fines, Shannarat and Bowlen got Tags to do something favorable for the Donkos by dropping them?

I'm shocked. :rolleyes:

TEX
11-07-2007, 06:00 PM

BS. Only a blnd Donx fan would say that "chances are they weren't." And just because a penality was not called doesn't mean squat. Go back and watch the game. They stopped it and made the CHEATING DONX clean off the "slippery substance" that seemed to only be on every o-lineman. :hmmm: They were flat out caught cheating and all they got was a free time out out of the deal. Go ask Glen Cadrez (who actually took part in applying it) what the substance was. I did, and he flat out said it was vasoline. He said that in addition to it being slippery, it also provided warmth to bare arms.

In case you're wondering where Glen was when I asked him - I used to work for the University of Houston Alumni Organization. I asked him at a Cougar Club Luncheon. He, Andre Ware, and Kimble Anders were guest speakers. He freaking TOLD THE STORY at the luncheon!

Spott
11-07-2007, 06:03 PM
That stuff happened 10 years ago and we lost that game more because of Marty's questionable coaching decisions than Denver using cooking spray.

TEX
11-07-2007, 06:06 PM
That stuff happened 10 years ago and we lost that game more because of Marty's questionable coaching decisions than Denver using cooking spray.

You're right but it still happened.

plbrdude
11-07-2007, 06:12 PM
so if the pats go 16-0 is it only fitting that the fish go 0-16?

CoMoChief
11-07-2007, 06:14 PM
They only beat two teams that had a winning record.
Kinda like the 99 Rams.

MahiMike
11-07-2007, 07:11 PM
He's just pissed because his steak houses suck.

KCinNY
11-07-2007, 07:18 PM
F*** Shula and furthermore, f*** all of those pathetic '72 Dolphins and their annual champagne circle jerk that they do when the last undefeated team goes down.

I hope the Pats go 19-0 and make those sorry-ass old Dolphins go away forever.

It would be a nice touch for the '07 Dolphins to go 0-16.

KC Jones
11-07-2007, 07:33 PM
They should get an asterisk.

and at the bottom of the page it should read:
* = by far the best undefeated team ever. Much stronger team than the 72 dolphins who were amazingly lucky and have been whiny bitches ever since.