PDA

View Full Version : CP car experts - spark plugs question

Lzen
11-08-2007, 10:59 AM
It's time to replace the old spark plugs. I have a 2003 F150. What I want to know is are those specialty plugs really worth the extra $$$? I see those Bosch platinum claim to be special, but they are $7 a plug. If they help produce better power and fuel efficiency then it's a no brainer to me. Are there other specialty plugs that are better? Or is it just the same to buy regular old Motorcraft or Champion plugs? Opinions?

Brock
11-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Hard for me to imagine any spark plug being worth 7 dollars. It would probably take you 100,000 miles to see the payback.

ROYC75
11-08-2007, 11:03 AM
It's your money, but for me it's a gimmick . I just don't believe them. It only takes a spark to ignite gas .

stumppy
11-08-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm sure they do provide more power and better mileage. But I seriously doubt they are capable of making a noticeable difference.
Think about it. All you need a spark plug for is to ignite the fuel in your engine. Regular plugs provide all the spark you need to accomplish that.

Radar Chief
11-08-2007, 11:18 AM
NGK. No fancy or expensive :BS:, just a good working spark plug.
And your spark intensity, or temperature, depends a lot more on your coil(s) and ignition system as a whole than just the spark plug.

StcChief
11-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Go with regular plug 2003 F150 not gonna improve mileage...

Unless you don't wanna change plugs in 30K miles

Lzen
11-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

plbrdude
11-08-2007, 12:01 PM
guy at the autoparts store here told me the benifit is minimal at the spark plug level. good wires a big plus. and just as well off to get oem plugs for replacing.

Time's Yours
11-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Everyone above is correct about power and economy; it won't make a difference.

However, platinum tipped plugs will last significantly longer than regular copper plugs. If the cylinders in the rear of the engine are difficult to get to and you don't want to mess with it again for a long time, it might be worth it to get platinum plugs.

You still don't want to get any of that multiple tip crap; but a single, platinum tip has some value.

ROYC75
11-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Coil package, wires and proper gap is you ticket........

Time's Yours
11-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Ah, that reminds me. The platinums usually come pre-gapped so you don't have to mess with gapping them, either.

Otter
11-08-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm certainly not a car expert but this is kinda like saying that using a bigger match will be more effective in starting a fire.

Keeping in mind that the fire you're starting is in this case is almost vaporized gasoline....it might make a difference if you drove a nascar.

Brock
11-08-2007, 12:28 PM
You'd get more power and mileage from a cold air intake/upgraded air filter.

dtebbe
11-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Something to watch when changing your plugs is that make sure the engine is completely cool before removing your plugs. The Ford modular engines only have about 4 threads in the heads for the spark plug, and it is very easy to strip them out, costing big $$$. For this reason (fewer changes the better) I would actually suggest spending the extra $$$ on the platinum plugs, and make sure to put anti-seize on the threads before installing them, and DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN them. It does not take much at all to pull the threads out.

Also make sure to blow out or vaccum out the cavity the spark plug sits in before you remove the plug. Sand and grit almost always collects there, and the last thing you want is that dropping in the cylinder when you remove the plug. pretty sure your truck does not have wires, since there is a coil on every plug. You can replace the boots that are on the bottom of the coil, however.

Watch Autozone for specials, I frequently see them have Platnium plugs for $4-$5 each.

Here is a nice link:
F150 plug change (http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/100/article/How_To_Change_Spark_Plugs_on_46__54_Liter_F150s.html)

DT

HemiEd
11-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Plain old Autolites are my choice. I have had fouling problems with Champions and ACs. I have purchased the NGKs etc. but the Autolites always seem to work the best.

Lzen
11-08-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm certainly not a car expert but this is kinda like saying that using a bigger match will be more effective in starting a fire.

Keeping in mind that the fire you're starting is in this case is almost vaporized gasoline....it might make a difference if you drove a nascar.

All I know is that the companies that make those multi tip and platinum, etc. claim better gas mileage and longer life. I was just asking if the claims are bogus or not.

Lzen
11-08-2007, 03:23 PM
You'd get more power and mileage from a cold air intake/upgraded air filter.

I got a new one of those, too.

Radar Chief
11-08-2007, 04:17 PM
All I know is that the companies that make those multi tip and platinum, etc. claim better gas mileage and longer life. I was just asking if the claims are bogus or not.

For the most part yes. The company that makes Split Fire plugs was forced to stop advertising horsepower and fuel mileage increases at one point.

Road Hog
11-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Only put Champion plugs in something you don't like. ie -. lawnmowers, weedeaters, chainsaws. They really SUCK!

Rain Man
11-08-2007, 07:40 PM
I will freely confess that my knowledge of cars is limited, so if you make fun of me, I will merely assume that you're laughing with me, not at me.

But...I didn't think cars had spark plugs any more. They do?

KcMizzou
11-08-2007, 07:50 PM
I will freely confess that my knowledge of cars is limited, so if you make fun of me, I will merely assume that you're laughing with me, not at me.

But...I didn't think cars had spark plugs any more. They do?Heheh, yeah.

I'd go with these.

Spark plugs are often misunderstood by most people. A spark plug's name is quite literal. They are designed to plug the line - and suppress any spark that may come through. Of course, you know what happens if a spark finds an open fuel source!! That could get ugly! KaleCoAuto extra retardant plugs block 99% of spark, and allow 95% of ignition molecules to pass through. That's 25% more than the competition, and unlike the competition, KaleCoAuto plugs never need cleaning.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=5

KcMizzou
11-08-2007, 07:56 PM
All I know is that the companies that make those multi tip and platinum, etc. claim better gas mileage and longer life. I was just asking if the claims are bogus or not.I sell parts, and supposedly the platinum plugs only have to be changed around 100,000 miles.

I don't know that ours are really supposed to increase performance.

Rain Man
11-08-2007, 08:03 PM
I think this is one of those blinker fluid deals. Well, you aren't fooling me.

KcMizzou
11-08-2007, 08:05 PM
I think this is one of those blinker fluid deals. Well, you aren't fooling me....again?

:)

MIAdragon
11-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Something to watch when changing your plugs is that make sure the engine is completely cool before removing your plugs. The Ford modular engines only have about 4 threads in the heads for the spark plug, and it is very easy to strip them out, costing big $$$. For this reason (fewer changes the better) I would actually suggest spending the extra $$$ on the platinum plugs, and make sure to put anti-seize on the threads before installing them, and DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN them. It does not take much at all to pull the threads out.

Also make sure to blow out or vaccum out the cavity the spark plug sits in before you remove the plug. Sand and grit almost always collects there, and the last thing you want is that dropping in the cylinder when you remove the plug. pretty sure your truck does not have wires, since there is a coil on every plug. You can replace the boots that are on the bottom of the coil, however.

Watch Autozone for specials, I frequently see them have Platnium plugs for $4-$5 each.

Here is a nice link:
F150 plug change (http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/100/article/How_To_Change_Spark_Plugs_on_46__54_Liter_F150s.html)

DT

X2!! be careful those trucks have issues with the plugs breaking off/seizing in the heads.

Rain Man
11-08-2007, 09:56 PM
...again?

:)

Laugh if you want, but my blinkers have never worked better.

Radar Chief
11-09-2007, 07:50 AM

Header bearing is out of frequency grease. Check the level at the Isosolator sight glass. ;)

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Spark plugs are way overrated. You should be worried more about the quality of gasoline you're putting in your engine. Lots of the gasoline is watered down and the only way to know for sure is to taste it. Good gasoline will take your breath away. Take a swig and swirl it around for a few seconds like a fine wine. If the back of your throat doesn't burn then it's been watered down.

Radar Chief
11-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Spark plugs are way overrated. You should be worried more about the quality of gasoline you're putting in your engine. Lots of the gasoline is watered down and the only way to know for sure is to taste it. Good gasoline will take your breath away. Take a swig and swirl it around for a few seconds like a fine wine. If the back of your throat doesn't burn then it's been watered down.

Or had sugar added. :thumb:

Extra Point
11-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Great plugs with bad plug wires is bad news. Bosch recommends replacing the coil and the wires when the plugs are changed. I don't know what your truck's mileage is, but I'd say you're due to change the plugs and wires. Go with Autolite.

Lzen
11-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Header bearing is out of frequency grease. Check the level at the Isosolator sight glass. ;)

Holy cow, you sound like Jordy LaForge. Yeah, I'm a Star Trek geek.

Radar Chief
11-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Holy cow, you sound like Jordy LaForge. Yeah, I'm a Star Trek geek.

;)

DBO82
11-09-2007, 11:05 AM

Have you checked your 710 lately?