PDA

View Full Version : Got laid off today

MichaelH
11-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Not many know me here but I just had to vent.

I found out at 1:30 this afternoon that my position had been removed. It wasn't for poor job performance or anything like that. In fact my boss said he hated to let me go and was up all last night trying to deal with letting me go. The company I work for isn't doing well and while I've had three great years of service there, I was lowest on the totem pole in my department. I'm not pissed, only a little worried. I will be 39 next month and hate to be the new guy all over again. I had great benefits, 2 weeks vacation and made enough to support my family.

Oh well. Thank goodness for beer. And for allowing me to vent.

Go Chiefs!

BigVE
11-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Sorry to hear it dude. Good luck and happy beer-day!

penguinz
11-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Laying people off on Fridays is not the proper thing to do.

Deberg_1990
11-09-2007, 04:37 PM
sorry to hear that.

Best wishes to you finding a new job fast.

Eleazar
11-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Sorry to hear it man. Maybe you could post a few lines about what kind of work you do and where you're located? There are a lot of different people on here who might know someone.

Stewie
11-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Sorry to hear that. Look for a new job like you're working a full time job. Get up early, pound the pavement, and something will present itself... and probably better than your old job.

journeyscarab
Sorry to hear about the job loss. Good luck on finding something better.

stevieray
on the plus side, you'll get a great reference...

one door closes..another opens..

good luck in your new challenge... :)

talastan
11-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Good Luck man and sorry to hear about the job loss. Something better will come along, just keep your head up and your eyes open!! Enjoy a brew for me as well.

FAX
11-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Sorry to hear it man. Maybe you could post a few lines about what kind of work you do and where you're located? There are a lot of different people on here who might know someone.

Good idea. Here's to a better opportunity, Mr. MichaelH.

FAX

ferrarispider95
11-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Good luck, keep your head up.

Braincase
11-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Nebraska will have some openings in the football department soon.

a1na2
11-09-2007, 04:51 PM

I found out at 1:30 this afternoon that my position had been removed. It wasn't for poor job performance or anything like that. In fact my boss said he hated to let me go and was up all last night trying to deal with letting me go. The company I work for isn't doing well and while I've had three great years of service there, I was lowest on the totem pole in my department. I'm not pissed, only a little worried. I will be 39 next month and hate to be the new guy all over again. I had great benefits, 2 weeks vacation and made enough to support my family.

Go Chiefs!

What is your profession?

MichaelH
11-09-2007, 04:53 PM

At my last job my title was Sales Support Engineer. I worked for a modular home manufacturer. I took house plans from our dealer/builder network and created working drawings using CAD software that fit into our system of building modular homes. If the builder and or customer liked what they saw, I prepared floor plans, elevations, electrical and plumbing schematics and sometimes foundation designs for state approval in which the house was to be located. It may sound boring but I liked it.

DBO82
11-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Sucks man..

Good luck dude.

patteeu
11-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Sorry to hear that. Don't let it get you too down. Your still young enough that things will work out for you.

El Jefe
11-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Man dude that sucks, sorry to hear that. Best of luck to you. It may sound dumb but I heard this comment from a UFC fighter not grammatically correct either, anyways "Tuff times don't last, but tuff people do". The sun is shining somewhere.

Valiant
11-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Good luck to you.. I got laid off earlier this year because they wanted to pay my position cheaper..

Karma has hit them with their stock going from 37 dollars to 7 dollars...

Coke Dealer
11-09-2007, 06:01 PM
If you need to feel better, I can help you out with some goodness in a bag:D

Spott
11-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Your boss sounds like a real cocksucker. They could have at least given you some notice about what they were planning on doing. It's not like that just went to lunch and all of a sudden had some idea to can you. Your boss/bosses likely knew for a while but were too chickenshit to tell you until the last minute.

Groves
11-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Sorry about that. Getting laid off stinks. What's your next step do you think?

Priest4Prez
11-09-2007, 06:53 PM
If you need to feel better, I can help you out with some goodness in a bag:D
ROFL

barry_smilez20
11-09-2007, 07:15 PM
jobs will come and go but beer last forever

StcChief
11-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Good luck. Drink some cold ones :BLVD: and get your resume together this weekend.

Logical
11-09-2007, 07:29 PM
At my last job my title was Sales Support Engineer. I worked for a modular home manufacturer. I took house plans from our dealer/builder network and created working drawings using CAD software that fit into our system of building modular homes. If the builder and or customer liked what they saw, I prepared floor plans, elevations, electrical and plumbing schematics and sometimes foundation designs for state approval in which the house was to be located. It may sound boring but I liked it.

People with CAD/CAM skills are needed by almost any company that does engineering, you should emphasize that on your resume.

Best of luck man.

Buehler445
11-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey man, that blows. I'd definitely call your boss and see if he knows anyone in the industry. If he's not a cock smoker, he should help you out.

If it interests you at all, Cabela's is building a shitton of stores, and probably need some people in facilities. Let me know if you want any information.

Best of luck buddy.

pr_capone
11-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Sorry to hear Michael.... hope you get something squared away soon and land back on your feet.

I understand that North Carolina is the capitol of all banking. You might enjoy a position as a personal banker at Bank of America. Their HQs are in NC and are a damn good company to work for.

Again... hope you get squared away soon.

Simplex3
11-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Laying people off on Fridays is not the proper thing to do.
You've obviously never seen Office Space.

On a more serious note, there's no better time than a Friday afternoon to fire people.

Mr. Kotter
11-09-2007, 09:52 PM

Go Chiefs!

:)
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Y39JehmZO4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Y39JehmZO4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Iowanian
11-09-2007, 10:09 PM
The good news is...its deer season.

Sorry to hear. With the cad skill set, you'll land on your feet....well, butt....in a chair in front of a cad station.

Smed1065
11-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Welcome to USA for todays standards. Hope the best for you.

I got laid off earlier and was in the top three in sales. They cut 95% and guess I did not try because bob dole told me such.

Wish it was better because the board said so.......

Honestly, it will get better because life is not based on a BB or opinions but performance and results.

MichaelH
11-10-2007, 06:48 AM
I'd like to say thank you to all the thoughtful advice. One thing I may have forgotten to note is that my boss said he'd go to an interview with me as a personal reference. That's a bit much but he's hardly a "cocksucker." Now the owner and upper management group, they fit the description.

My head is a bit fuzzy this morning but I'm feeling pretty good otherwise. I have a great wife and kids. I'm looking forward to spending time with my youngest son instead of sending him off to daycare. I'm also going to play soccer dad to my other son. My house needs some work done and like someone said, it's hunting season somewhere. My freezer needs some venison. Oh, I almost forgot. I'll be doing some job hunting too.

Thanks again to everyone. This place is the best.

Smed1065
11-10-2007, 07:02 AM
Bob Dole standards say you suk like me and never tried.

LOL.
It is our own fault according to him. We worked for a company and never made it $$. LOL. For over 5 years?

Its all good because I did the best and was in top 3% of sales but still got the ax, this week.

No beard or tude but it is my fault to be a top 5 performer.

It sucks when companies lie. just to cut the bottom line. But our fault because we performed and carried a company for 6 months..... ..

Flustrated
11-10-2007, 07:28 AM
I faced a similar situation about 12 years ago, and it was actually the best thing that ever happened to me. By law, you are now catagorized as a displaced worker and entitled to numerous education benefits and extended unemployment benefits. If you already have a degree, improve on it. If you don't have a degree, here's your opportunity! Ask yourself, "If I had a million dollars what would I do?" then let your former employer contribute to your future! You're down now, but if you keep a positive attitude and go for "IT" somday you'll be thankful this all happened.

Good Luck Man! :thumb:

Coach
11-10-2007, 08:19 AM
I'd like to say thank you to all the thoughtful advice. One thing I may have forgotten to note is that my boss said he'd go to an interview with me as a personal reference. That's a bit much but he's hardly a "cocksucker." Now the owner and upper management group, they fit the description.

My head is a bit fuzzy this morning but I'm feeling pretty good otherwise. I have a great wife and kids. I'm looking forward to spending time with my youngest son instead of sending him off to daycare. I'm also going to play soccer dad to my other son. My house needs some work done and like someone said, it's hunting season somewhere. My freezer needs some venison. Oh, I almost forgot. I'll be doing some job hunting too.

Thanks again to everyone. This place is the best.

Sorry to hear about that. Most people would think that a layoff is a really bad thing, and I agree as well, but sometimes a layoff can be a good thing as well. As you mentioned, spending more time with your youngest son, do some stuff that you never got around to do, etc.

Do you get severence pay or anything like that to keep you afloat until a certain month or however that works?

Chief Pote
11-10-2007, 08:42 AM

With just a small amount of capital, you could open up your own business. There are MANY builders that need your expertise. Usually builders don't have the time or knowledge to create plans.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-10-2007, 09:14 AM
from a company standpoint its the best. People are less likely to sabatoge, steal, etc. the company with a weekend between them and the next workweek.

actually studies have shown that people let go on Friday are MORE apt to react poorly becasue they stew about it all weekend and it ruins the weekend. People let go on Monday tend to go right out and look for new work.