PDA

View Full Version : Rice badmouthin' the Donks

Hammock Parties
11-11-2007, 02:52 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7429389

Ineffective Rice pays for release
By Bill Williamson

Simeon Rice always said he didn't play for money. His actions Friday proved that.

Rice said he gave up a portion of his signing bonus in exchange for being released by the Broncos, who signed him to a $3 million deal six days before the start of the season.

The Broncos signed the 34-year-old Rice, who received a $2.15 million signing bonus, in an attempt to improve their pass rush. It didn't work.

Rice, who was inactive for two games because he was ineffective, had no sacks in six games.

"I'm in this to be great and I wasn't allowed to be great in Denver," Rice said. "I gave up some money to get out of there. It was that important to me. I need to be somewhere where I'm allowed to be great. I didn't just wake up in Denver and forget to play football."

Rice said his breaking point came Tuesday, when Denver signed three young defensive linemen. The team likes the trio of Larry Birdine, Paul Carrington and Josh Mallard, and at least one could be on the field today in Kansas City. Rice said he knew his days in Denver were numbered, so he asked to be cut.

"Come on, they brought guys off the street," he said. "They're better than me? I know I haven't fallen from grace that far."

The Broncos were disappointed in Rice's lack of production, and his boisterous manner was wearing thin. Rice continued talking on his way out the door.

"I didn't really like their defensive philosophy," Rice said. "It was musical chairs. They played me at left end. I'm a right end. It just never worked there for me. I was underutilized. I don't think defense is an emphasis there."

Rice leaves the Broncos as offbeat as he was when he came to town.

"I came to Denver like a gold miner, looking for fame and fortune, but I was never comfortable there," he said. "I couldn't get excited there. They took the sugar off my cornflakes."

Injury report.

Coach Mike Shanahan said running back Travis Henry (knee) and safety John Lynch (pinched nerve in his neck) will be game-time decisions on whether they will play against Kansas City.

Henry made strides Friday as he practiced for the first time all week. Lynch was limited in practice all week, and he and Shanahan said there is a possibility he could play for the first time since Oct. 29.

Kicker Jason Elam was limited in practice Friday and is questionable with a right calf injury. If Elam can't play today, punter Todd Sauerbrun would handle the field goals and PATs.

Footnote. Detroit defensive tackle Cory Redding was not fined for his helmet hit on Cutler's lower left leg last Sunday.

kcxiv
11-11-2007, 03:13 AM
haha, They took the sugar from his cornflakes. Thats awesome.

the Talking Can
11-11-2007, 06:32 AM
another great signing by the Rat...

TEX
11-11-2007, 08:07 AM
If he wanted to be "great," he should have waited until AFTER this game to ask for his release. The Chiefs O-Line could have made him look "great" like they did Mario Williams. :shake:

boogblaster
11-11-2007, 08:17 AM
F bof-um ..

wazu
11-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Rice is a buffoon. Glad to see another low-character free agent signing blow up in Shanarat's face.