PDA

View Full Version : Front Office misses writing on the wall...

T-post Tom
11-11-2007, 11:50 PM
If what I’ve read is correct, the Chiefs are $13M under the cap, even after overpaying L.J. That said, the FA acquisitions this past off-season included guards Chris Liwienski, Cooper Carlisle, Derrick Dockery, Eric Steinbach, Leander Jordan, Montrae Holland, Rich DeMulling, Sean Mahan and Toniu Fonoti. The FA offensive tackles included Cornell Green, Damion McIntosh, George Foster, Jordan Black, Langston Walker, Leonard Davis (changed position), Luke Petigout, Mike Gandy, & Tony Pashos. Many of these guys are starting with their new team. Was it unreasonable to have expected the front office at Arrowhead to figure out a better solution that McIntosh, Terry, Welborne & Turley? Carl & Herm are officially off of my Christmas gift list.

Hammock Parties
11-11-2007, 11:51 PM
They thought they could get by with Welbourn and Terry.

They greviously miscalculated that decision.

PastorMikH
11-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Is it too late to sign Allen and have the signing bonus count against this year's cap?

One consideration with that surplus is how much of it was set aside to cover incentive bonuses that this sorry team hasn't been able to collect on?

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Honestly, we probably have 2 O-lineman who are among the 2-3 worst at their position in the league, 1 who is mediocre at best (McIntosh), another one who is probably only in the top third now (Waters), and a center who is probably in the bottom third (Wiegmann).

That's awful.

Mecca
11-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Waters looks like a creation of Roaf now..he's had some really brutal moments also.

I don't think the Chiefs front office is very football savvy about what positions you spend on which ones you don't, which ones you don't sign guys to 2nd contracts to.

Just simple stuff like that.

T-post Tom
11-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Is it too late to sign Allen and have the signing bonus count against this year's cap?

One consideration with that surplus is how much of it was set aside to cover incentive bonuses that this sorry team hasn't been able to collect on?

You are correct. Signing JA this year would seem to be the "cap friendly" thing to do. But it appears that won't happen, if you believe JA. He's stated that no offer has been put forth from the Chiefs. I suspect the Front Office will hose this up and pay JA the $20M+ Franchise tag.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2007, 11:59 PM
It depends on the type of RB on whether or not you resign him. A guy like LT who doesn't take big hits is a low-risk signing. LJ isn't.

The LJ signing will be an albatross. It's pretty much everything the Priest signing wasn't.

Mecca
11-12-2007, 12:05 AM
It depends on the type of RB on whether or not you resign him. A guy like LT who doesn't take big hits is a low-risk signing. LJ isn't.

The LJ signing will be an albatross. It's pretty much everything the Priest signing wasn't.

Pretty much, even though any RB can be replaced if he wants a ridiculous contract.

An older QB sure, QB's are productive for a long time...but positions like RB, WR, Corner when these guys start aging it's time to move on quickly.

chiefscafan
11-12-2007, 02:04 AM
what about trying watters at tackle

BigRedChief
11-12-2007, 06:29 AM
I place the blame for our OL squarely on King Carl.

Blown 1st and 2nd round draft picks on Sims, Sailvi, Freeman and 1 other I can't remember right, plus spending money on FA's to cover those mistakes cost us a chance to draft a good OL. Instead we had to draft 6th and 7trh rounders and hope for the best.

KCChiefsFan88
11-12-2007, 08:41 AM
This has been the constant theme of the Carl Peterson-era... wait for a problem to blow up in your face before taking action, rather than being proactive.

morphius
11-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Come on, our Vice President of Player Personnel was with the Saints when they sucked, I can't imagine how we could pick a guy better suited for those here that want the Chiefs to suck.

That being said, I believe most of us felt that Welbourne would make a pretty decent Guard. Yup, we were wrong.

pikesome
11-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Come on, our Vice President of Player Personnel was with the Saints when they sucked, I can't imagine how we could pick a guy better suited for those here that want the Chiefs to suck.

That being said, I believe most of us felt that Welbourne would make a pretty decent Guard. Yup, we were wrong.

I think it's safe to say the whole line has looked worse than expected. And it wasn't expected to be that good. I do wonder if Huard's lack of mobility and slow release hasn't contributed to it though, Carr was part of the problem in Huston.

BigChiefFan
11-12-2007, 09:04 AM
It's all about pinching pennies-not a good mix when owning a multi-million dollar business.

pikesome
11-12-2007, 09:09 AM
It's all about pinching pennies-not a good mix when owning a multi-million dollar business.

At least we haven't thrown too much money at washed up, over the hill FAs. DV was really good at that. It'd be nice if they could stop making the mistakes of the old regime and not make their own.

Coach
11-12-2007, 09:20 AM

Well, he was decent, when he was on the roids, that's no doubt. :shake:

I'm just trying to figure out, what's the point on playing Welbourne and Turdly over Taylor and Stallings?

Granted, I know Taylor and Stallings is inexperienced, and it can probably get Brodie killed, yada, yada, yada, but is it possible for them to be worse than Turdly and Welbourne? Not to mention that it would give the Chiefs an idea if either one or both of them can be decent in this league.

Molitoth
11-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Lets see how the line plays with Croyle starting next week. They might be re-energized and ready to block for thier QB that might actually have a chance at taking them somewhere.

pikesome
11-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Well, he was decent, when he was on the roids, that's no doubt. :shake:

I'm just trying to figure out, what's the point on playing Welbourne and Turdly over Taylor and Stallings?

Granted, I know Taylor and Stallings is inexperienced, and it can probably get Brodie killed, yada, yada, yada, but is it possible for them to be worse than Turdly and Welbourne? Not to mention that it would give the Chiefs an idea if either one or both of them can be decent in this league.

I watched a bit of Stallings in NFLE and I wasn't too impressed. He seemed mediocre even over there and also made dumb mental mistakes (penalties). Maybe he has potential but color me skeptical.

Coach
11-12-2007, 09:29 AM
I watched a bit of Stallings in NFLE and I wasn't too impressed. He seemed mediocre even over there and also made dumb mental mistakes (penalties). Maybe he has potential but color me skeptical.

I understand that he seemed medicore and made some mistakes. However, how can a player learn from his mistakes and all? Practice setting and game setting are two different settings.

The only way they're really gonna know is by playing him, and evaluate him at the end of the season.

You deftinaly can't improve by sitting on the bench.

Mr. Laz
11-12-2007, 10:09 AM

would be the best idea......

sign him to an extension and give him a roster bonus instead of a signing bonus. The Chiefs could have 10 million of JA's new contract hit this year and the team would never even notice.

of course, the bottomline would still notice and Carl might not get his profit bonus this year. :cuss:

PastorMikH
11-15-2007, 10:58 PM

How'd this post get neg rep?

Say btlook1, you sure have lots of pretty red squares. I think I'll return your rep, though mine will probably carry a tad more weight than yours did.

Hammock Parties
11-15-2007, 10:59 PM
How'd this post get neg rep?

Say btlook1, you sure have lots of pretty red squares. I think I'll return your rep, though mine will probably carry a tad more weight than yours did.

Who's a little neg rep bitch? Jeez.

PastorMikH
11-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Who's a little neg rep? Jeez.

You trying to be a jerk tonight or all those lonely nights in your parents basement getting to you?