PDA

View Full Version : Hard for announcers to say anything good about Chiefs

smittysbar
11-12-2007, 12:19 AM
Hard for announcers to say anything good about Chiefs

Can it get any worse than this? Not if you believe those on the airwaves during Sunday’s convincing loss to the struggling Broncos.

The good news? Maybe 7-9 will still take the AFC West.

•••

“Right now, this is the worst overall performance by a Chiefs team in a long time. And I mean in all three phases of the game — special teams, offense, defense … This is a bad Denver team. They’re missing guys. We’ve talked about all their injuries. The Chiefs looked equally as bad.”

| Bob Gretz, sideline reporter, Chiefs Radio Network

“Denver could be 1-7.”

| Len Dawson, Chiefs Radio Network.

“This (Denver) team is crippled by injuries and not playing well coming in.”

| Dawson, incredulously, as the Broncos were pulling away from the hapless Chiefs

JF: What made Sunday’s loss so distasteful was the fact the Broncos looked ready to come into Arrowhead and lie down, just as they had done last week in Detroit.

•••

“Another thing that is disappearing here is home-field advantage. That’s three losses at home for the Chiefs this season.”

| Gretz

“Losses are hard to take, but this is especially hard.”

| Mitch Holthus, Chiefs Radio Network

JF: It’s especially hard for Chiefs fans because a game like Sunday’s reveals just how broken this franchise might be. Personnel? Coaching? Front office? It’s all under fire right now, and rightfully so. This was a dreadful performance.

•••

“Damon Huard is going to lose his job by picking out his receivers before the snap.”

| Gretz, after Huard once again zeroed in on one receiver and nearly had a ball picked off

JF: Gretz was near his best on Sunday, shedding any suggestions that he or the Chiefs’ radio folks are just a bunch of homers. There was some harsh criticism coming from the booth and behind the sideline.

•••

“If there’s three people on the tight end, you have to (throw) somewhere else!”

| Dawson, rather disgustedly, after Huard threw into triple coverage, trying to force the ball to Tony Gonzalez

“He looked all the time at Eddie Kennison. He didn’t look at anyone else!”

| Dawson, as Huard tried to force a pass to a tightly covered Kennison

JF: On the very next play, Huard again threw into coverage and was intercepted.

•••

“Damon Huard has been living on the edge the whole game.”

| Holthus

“Herm (Edwards) wants desperately, and I mean desperately, to have Brodie Croyle come in and take this job by the throat and shake it a little.”

| CBS’ Dan Dierdorf as Croyle replaced an injured Huard

“... but this (replacement) is more because of injury to Huard.”

| Dierdorf

“But don’t you feel like it’s any port in the storm, that Herm, for whatever reason, has a chance (now) to make a change?”

| CBS’ Greg Gumbel

JF: Gumbel’s right: The change needs to be now at QB.

“The funny thing is, the last time the crowd saw Brodie Croyle, they booed him off the field!”

| Gretz, noting Croyle’s rough preseason performances

“The ball does arrive a little faster (to the receiver).”

| Holthus, on Croyle’s much-stronger arm

•••

“The old boy still has some moves left in him. Hippity-hop!”

| Dawson on Priest Holmes

“He’s not going to run over people like Larry Johnson. He needs a lane, and then he can do damage in the

kcxiv
11-12-2007, 12:26 AM
That game was as ugly a game as i have ever seen. I never seen a QB look like he didnt want to be out there anymore.

Mecca
11-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Now we're like Houston with David Carr, the QB gets hit so many times he just doesn't care.

EyePod
11-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Was it me or did the o-line handle the pressure of the San Diego pass rush much better once Croyle came in. There were 2 sacks for each of QB's, but I thought it was better when Croyle was in. Second, Priest looked amazing. If you ignore the play that Priest tried to save, the -13 yard run on 3rd and 2 which he had zero blocking for, and he knew that Rayner would make the kick even though he lost a few yards, he had 78 yards on the day for 19 caries. That is an average of 4.11 yards per carry. If anyone thought that he would have that average before the game, let me know. I was suprised that he beat the 50 mark.

Mecca
11-12-2007, 12:36 AM
Let's remember that was the worst run D in the entire league.

Nelson Muntz
11-12-2007, 03:41 AM
I don't remember the crowd booing Croyle off the field last time he played. I thought the last time he played was when he threw a TD pass against Jacksonville to break up the shutout.

luv
11-12-2007, 04:02 AM
That game was as ugly a game as i have ever seen. I never seen a QB look like he didnt want to be out there anymore.
I don't think he looked to relieved. It was hard to tell with him always looking at the ground, though.

7-9 won't win the division. San Diego will end up doing better than that.

Sure-Oz
11-12-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't remember the crowd booing Croyle off the field last time he played. I thought the last time he played was when he threw a TD pass against Jacksonville to break up the shutout.
It was and he got a HUGE cheer. The line is horrible, atleast Croyle has a quicker release, i just hope he doesn't get pounded.