PDA

View Full Version : For the record, it wasn't an interception?

Calcountry
11-12-2007, 08:52 AM
I know it wouldn't have ultimately changed the outcome of the game yesterday, but was I the only person that noticed the first interception made by Denver was not an interception due to the player stepping on the sideline prior to making the pick? Don't they have to reestablish themselves in the field of play before they are eligible to receive the ball?

Mecca
11-12-2007, 08:53 AM
I think the other guy touched the ball after he got his 2 feet back in which would then make him eligible again.

Calcountry
11-12-2007, 09:28 AM
I think the other guy touched the ball after he got his 2 feet back in which would then make him eligible again.I didn't see it that way, but nobody else seemed to care. No one in the booth noticed it, the announcers didn't even make a peep about it.

I should be happy, we got a safety out of it.

Amnorix
11-12-2007, 09:46 AM
I **think** the whole out of bounds thing applies only to offensive players, but to be honest I'm not at all sure. I don't think I've ever seen it come up where a defensive player was ineligible or whatever due to havign been out of bounds.

Only thing I've seen there is that a defensive player who is out of bounds (on special teams) must make reasonable efforts to get back in-bounds. Failure to do so results in a penalty.

Mile High Mania
11-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Are you referring to the deep INT that was bobbled b/t the 2 DEN players? If so, I was thinking the same thing b/c unless I didn't see it right, the guy that wound up getting the INT did appear to go out of bounds.

But, if I understand the rule correctly (whether it's offense or defense), a player can step out of bounds and still catch a ball or an INT in this case, he just can't be the FIRST player to touch the ball.

Something like that.

Coach
11-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Are you referring to the deep INT that was bobbled b/t the 2 DEN players? If so, I was thinking the same thing b/c unless I didn't see it right, the guy that wound up getting the INT did appear to go out of bounds.

But, if I understand the rule correctly (whether it's offense or defense), a player can step out of bounds and still catch a ball or an INT in this case, he just can't be the FIRST player to touch the ball.

Something like that.

That's correct. The player who went out, is ineligble to touch the ball, unless either,

A) The opposing player touches it first, or
B) A fellow teammate touches it first.

King_Chief_Fan
11-12-2007, 11:18 AM
must have been an interception. The Chiefs brain trust on the sidelines surely would have challenged otherwise