PDA

View Full Version : Year 3 of the Vermiel Rams: Hire an OC with a plan

KCJohnny
11-12-2007, 05:05 PM
DV's 1997-98 Rams went 9-23.
In '99, he hired Redskins QB coach Mike Martz (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Martz) as OC. Even after losing their #1 QB in preseason, Martz's O still torched opposing defenses in record-setting fashion enroute to a SB victory.

Martz has proven himself an offensive guru. Look at Detroit's suddenly explosive O - and that team has had #1 picks on the roster for years.

Herm, the smartest offensive thinker on your team is probably Charlie Joiner (WRs coach). We need a real, bona fide offense master mind, even if he's unknown (as Martz was). Solari has come a long way, but Herm needs to find someone who can maximize the team's talent as Mike Martz did in StL.

Bump
11-12-2007, 05:30 PM
I would take Sponge Bob Square Pants over Solari at OC

KCJohnny
11-12-2007, 05:35 PM

Hey! Is he available?

FringeNC
11-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Herm is the guy who ordered Solari to simplify the offense.

OnTheWarpath15
11-12-2007, 05:45 PM
To set the record straight, DV didn't "hire" Martz.

Martz was forced on DV by Rams management. According to some reports here in STL at the time, Dick almost walked over it.

KCJohnny
11-12-2007, 06:13 PM
To set the record straight, DV didn't "hire" Martz.

Martz was forced on DV by Rams management. According to some reports here in STL at the time, Dick almost walked over it.

Hopefully CP will use similar strong arm tactics and get us a whiz kid OC or Norv or somebody who knows O.

Micjones
11-12-2007, 06:15 PM
That's been the problem.
Solari hasn't been able to play to his offensive strengths.

I think Brodie gives us a better opportunity to do that, on paper, but Herm doesn't want to throw the ball around. And that's really what this team is best suited for.

KCJohnny
11-12-2007, 06:17 PM
That's been the problem.
Solari hasn't been able to play to his offensive strengths.

I think Brodie gives us a better opportunity to do that, on paper, but Herm doesn't want to throw the ball around. And that's really what this team is best suited for.

Makes me wonder. Is it Herm? We threw 45 passes yesterday - I believe that's the highest # during the Herm era.

pikesome
11-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Hopefully CP will use similar strong arm tactics and get us a whiz kid OC or Norv or somebody who knows O.

?????

You've been following the Chiefs how long? Carl getting a whiz kid OC? I wonder if some people are suffering a sympathetic Trent Green concussion. Carl doesn't do things like that. Even if you like what CP's done over the years this is crazy talk.

Micjones
11-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Yeah, but a lot of that came after we were trailing Denver.

KCJohnny
11-12-2007, 06:23 PM
?????

You've been following the Chiefs how long? Carl getting a whiz kid OC? I wonder if some people are suffering a sympathetic Trent Green concussion. Carl doesn't do things like that. Even if you like what CP's done over the years this is crazy talk.

He brought in Paul Hackett years ago to compliment Montana and Allen's experience in the Left Coast Offense. I doubt Hackett was Marty's man. I could be wrong.

I agree, its highly unlikely, which is why I bring it up. The '99 Rams were peobably a 6-10 team if Georgia doesn't get Martz in there.

RedThat
11-12-2007, 07:27 PM
We need to hire a guy with experience.

Im thinking that, either Scott Linehan, Norv Turner, or Cam Cameron will be available this off-season? If they are, we should hire one of them.

Just bring in an experienced guy in here is what we need. I like Solari, but not as a OC. Put him back where he belongs, as OL coach.

pikesome
11-12-2007, 07:31 PM

Im thinking that, either Scott Linehan, Norv Turner, or Cam Cameron will be available this off-season? If they are, we should hire one of them.

Just bring in an experienced guy in here is what we need. I like Solari, but not as a OC. Put him back where he belongs, as OL coach.

I'd take Cameron of those three. Still, I think it's unlikely. I doubt CP does anything with the staff before he packs his bags and Hunt will probably wait till the new GM's in to clean up if he was going to do it personally.

KCJohnny
11-12-2007, 09:53 PM
What would we need to see in these final 7 games to convince us Solari deserves a third year as OC?

cdcox
11-12-2007, 09:58 PM
What would we need to see in these final 7 games to convince us Solari deserves a third year as OC?

Circus offense.

pikesome
11-12-2007, 09:59 PM

We don't get a say. It'll be too easy for everyone who might have a say to just wait till Carl leaves I'm thinking.

KCJohnny
11-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Circus offense.

Which school of thought do you subscribe to:

1. Solari is an Al Saunders disciple who can't wait to unleash the beast but Herm is telling him to run the R2P2 offense and avoid "arena league" games;

2. Solari is as close to being an offensive mastermind as Gunther Cunningham is to being a writer for Hallmark Greeting Cards.

?

jjchieffan
11-12-2007, 10:02 PM

Surely Miami gives Cameron more than one year. If they dont, then I expect him to go back to SD either as OC or head coach.

cdcox
11-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Which school of thought do you subscribe to:

1. Solari is an Al Saunders disciple who can't wait to unleash the beast but Herm is telling him to run the R2P2 offense and avoid "arena league" games;

2. Solari is as close to being an offensive mastermind as Gunther Cunningham is to being a writer for Hallmark Greeting Cards.

?

I don't know, but whatever the cause is has to be removed. I'd get rid of every one from Carl Peterson to the janitor just to make sure. Time for a completely fresh start.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Scott Linehan is a moron.

KCJohnny
11-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Think Martz, boys.

Think of a guy who has the chutzpah to run "the Annexation of Puerto Rico"...

kcxiv
11-12-2007, 10:35 PM
I would take Norv as the OC. He would be great.

KCJohnny
11-12-2007, 11:02 PM
I would take Norv as the OC. He would be great.

So would a lot of teams. He'll be in demand after AJ Smith fires him this January.

RustShack
11-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Was Solari even a good Oline coach? Most people can look great with Roaf, Shields, and Waters. That also makes me wonder if Wiegmann was ever really that good. He had Shields and Waters right next to him. Wiegmann was good at pulling and blocking for Priest, I will give him that.

KCJohnny
11-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Was Solari even a good Oline coach? Most people can look great with Roaf, Shields, and Waters. That also makes me wonder if Wiegmann was ever really that good. He had Shields and Waters right next to him. Wiegmann was good at pulling and blocking for Priest, I will give him that.

That's the $64 million question - was it the players or the coach? In the end its both, but we still need to know if coaches can produce with the talent available (Bellicek) or flounder with good talent (Norv).

Logical
11-13-2007, 12:02 AM
He brought in Paul Hackett years ago to compliment Montana and Allen's experience in the Left Coast Offense. I doubt Hackett was Marty's man. I could be wrong.

I agree, its highly unlikely, which is why I bring it up. The '99 Rams were peobably a 6-10 team if Georgia doesn't get Martz in there.

In fairness drafting Torry Holt to go with a young Issac Bruce and trading for Marshall Faulk might have had almost as much to do with the turn around.

KCJohnny
11-13-2007, 12:05 AM
In fairness drafting Torry Holt to go with a young Issac Bruce and trading for Marshall Faulk might have had almost as much to do with the turn around.

Good point, Jim, but without Martz's track meet scheme, Dv is still doing what didn't work in '97 and '98 with an Arena league QB. I give Martz credit as he proved with the Rams and now with the LIons that he was the genius behind the '99 lightning in a bottle Rams.

11-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Arena ball.

KCJohnny
11-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Arena ball.

Yeah, after Green went down, DV and Martz were stuck with an Arena League QB so I guess they just sucked it up seeing BucBall wasn't in the cards for them and won a SB with ARENA LEAGUE scoring...

:shrug:

KCJohnny
11-27-2007, 09:54 AM
?????

Crazy talk, indeed. Help me to come to my senses.

Otter
11-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Solari has come a long way, but Herm needs to find someone who can maximize the team's talent as Mike Martz did in StL

When did this happen?

thehead
11-27-2007, 10:05 AM

Thats what pisses me off , these guys are pros lets play the game ,Herm needs to change professions to DAY CARE yeah thats the ticket ,fu#king nitwit
:#

bobbything
11-27-2007, 10:11 AM
According to Holthus, this is the "exact same offense" that they ran under Vermeil. "Nothing has changed." :rolleyes:

According to Herm, they had to "simplify" the offense for the younger players. Then, later, according to Herm, they "didn't change" the offense. :banghead:

I have no idea what Solari says about it all because, really, I think he's a figment of Herm's imagination. Has anyone honestly ever seen this guy? Other than the picture on kcchiefs.com? :hmmm:

Hammock Parties
11-27-2007, 10:14 AM
According to Holthus, this is the "exact same offense" that they ran under Vermeil. "Nothing has changed." :rolleyes:

According to Herm, they had to "simplify" the offense for the younger players. Then, later, according to Herm, they "didn't change" the offense. :banghead:

I have no idea what Solari says about it all because, really, I think he's a figment of Herm's imagination. Has anyone honestly ever seen this guy? Other than the picture on kcchiefs.com? :hmmm:

I saw him at training camp. His most outstanding moment was when he gathered all the players in a huddle and screamed at the top of lungs at them. I wonder if Al Saunders ever did that.

pikesome
11-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Crazy talk, indeed. Help me to come to my senses.

Step one is lower your expectations for the next two seasons. Unless Clark is a firebrand, and there's no reason to think he is, CP stays till his contract is up. That means Herm stays at least next year and probably till after 2009 too. Solari is in danger of replacement but, with the GM job up in 2009, I would think it hard to get a quality OC over the next two years. Unless the team turns around quick there is going to be a lot of uncertainty following CP leaving. Not a great situation for a OC to move into unless he thinks he could score the HC job.

FloridaMan88
11-27-2007, 10:52 AM
DV's 1997-98 Rams went 9-23.
In '99, he hired Redskins QB coach Mike Martz (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Martz) as OC. Even after losing their #1 QB in preseason, Martz's O still torched opposing defenses in record-setting fashion enroute to a SB victory.

Martz has proven himself an offensive guru. Look at Detroit's suddenly explosive O - and that team has had #1 picks on the roster for years.

Herm, the smartest offensive thinker on your team is probably Charlie Joiner (WRs coach). We need a real, bona fide offense master mind, even if he's unknown (as Martz was). Solari has come a long way, but Herm needs to find someone who can maximize the team's talent as Mike Martz did in StL.

This is why I wanted Mike Martz to be the Chiefs next head coach after Vermeil retired. This is why I wanted Mike Martz to be the Chiefs next offensive coordinator after Herm was hired and Al Saunders left to Washington.

FloridaMan88
11-27-2007, 10:53 AM
I saw him at training camp. His most outstanding moment was when he gathered all the players in a huddle and screamed at the top of lungs at them. I wonder if Al Saunders ever did that.

Al Saunders didn't have to scream and shout and still was the architect (along with Vermeil) of the most explosive offense in franchise history.

StcChief
11-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Get a good OC move Solari back to OL coach or outta KC

Chief Henry
11-27-2007, 10:55 AM

Heh, I would take Sponge Bob over Herm.

KCJohnny
11-27-2007, 05:44 PM
When did this happen?

Uh, 1999. I'm sure you've heard of the Greatest Show on Turf? Well, before Martz took over as OC, the Rams O was led by Tony Banks and featured homerun hitters like Lawrence Phillips. The legend is that DV was force-fed martz by the from office. The rest as they say, is history.