PDA

View Full Version : Its official- Its Brodies time!

Mr. Arrowhead
11-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Let the brodie era officially begin
http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/357874.html

noa
11-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Print 'em!

Mr. Arrowhead
11-12-2007, 05:11 PM
The streak is about to end, we are actually going to start a QB we drafted

Scorp
8 games to late, but I will take it!

MIAdragon
nice

DMAC
11-12-2007, 05:12 PM
I love how he says we need a spark. We need a forest fire, Herm.

Hammock Parties
I told you morons it was.

shaneo69
"Croyle was the Chiefs’ third-round draft pick last season. He will be the first Chiefs draft pick to start a game for them at quarterback since Todd Blackledge, who was drafted in 1983 and last started a game in 1987."

Pathetic.

shaneo69
11-12-2007, 05:14 PM
You could probably count on one hand the number of QB's that we have drafted who have gone on to start for us. Livingston, Fuller, Blackledge, ???

hawkchief
11-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Wow, Herm's a real genius.

unothadeal
11-12-2007, 05:15 PM
you might say, ‘Why did he do that?’ But you know what? So be it. We’ll live with that.’’
Gee, I haven't said that all year :rolleyes:

Zouk
11-12-2007, 05:17 PM
If he can win in Indy in game 1 a legend will be born.

KCJohnny
11-12-2007, 05:18 PM
I love how he says we need a spark. We need a forest fire, Herm.
ROFL

Mr. Arrowhead
11-12-2007, 05:19 PM
my ethusium for chiefs football has just gone up

siberian khatru
11-12-2007, 05:20 PM
You could probably count on one hand the number of QB's that we have drafted who have gone on to start for us. Livingston, Fuller, Blackledge, ???

You know what? I was thinking Tony Adams and about to congratulate myself for being clever and knowledgeable. But I looked it up, and sonofabitch, if he wasn't drafted by San Diego.

BigVE
11-12-2007, 05:21 PM
If he can win in Indy in game 1 a legend will be born.

Gee, you don't ask for much do ya'? If we can somehow keep Indy from covering the spread (16pts last I checked) then he will be a major upgrade.

Halfcan
11-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Brodie didn't show me much-he only had about 50 chances at the end of the game and all he could manage was to throw it as hard as he could over guys heads that were being double covered.

But he was still 100% better than Damon.

Pablo
11-12-2007, 05:23 PM
If he can win in Indy in game 1 a legend will be born.Yeah, especially considering the Colts have a pretty damn good defense, and they have lost two in a row and will be looking to rip someone a new ass, and it's gonna be us.

Winning in Indy would be a monumental stepping stone.

Good Luck Brodie.

StcChief
11-12-2007, 05:23 PM
16 pts. then he's gonna have to keep our D off the field and have some long drives.

If he avoids getting killed I'm happy

Skip Towne
11-12-2007, 05:24 PM
my ethusium for chiefs football has just gone up
Your WHAT?

ChiefsCountry
11-12-2007, 05:24 PM
First game and he is getting thrown into the wolves with a game at a pissed off Indy. Like Zouk said earlier if he pulls out a win, he would be a legend in the making.

Bump
11-12-2007, 05:25 PM
we finally get our wish. This will prove to be very valuable for the team and Croyle. Croyle will get the experience and we will see what he's got. We were moving the offense with him at QB but still no TDs, but I'm much more confident with Croyle at QB and hopefully he will provide that spark we sorely need.

the Talking Can
11-12-2007, 05:25 PM
one step closer to clarity, at least we'll have some information to make a decision with when we ponder the QB situation this offseason...

wutamess
11-12-2007, 05:26 PM
I don't think Freeney will play considering how he couldn't put any pressure on his foot last night.

KcMizzou
11-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Let's not rush into things.

Zouk
11-12-2007, 05:30 PM
After Brodie beats the Colts, he's gonna bring Kanye West's mom back to life.

OnTheWarpath15
11-12-2007, 05:30 PM
First game and he is getting thrown into the wolves with a game at a pissed off Indy. Like Zouk said earlier if he pulls out a win, he would be a legend in the making.

If he pulls out a win, he deserves a ****ing parade through downtown.

Just covering the spread would be an all out miracle.

After our defense gave up 20 to the Denver JV team, I'm not too terribly optimistic that they can hold Indy under 35.

2bikemike
11-12-2007, 05:32 PM
While I am glad Brodie is going to get some valuable playing time I don't look for it to provide any sparks or forest fires. IMHO the Chiefs O-line has been exposed. I just hope Brodie can survive the physical and mental abuse he is about to endure. If he can do that he may develop into a decent QB.

Sanka
11-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Look no further, THE FUTURE IS HERE!

Hammock Parties
11-12-2007, 05:36 PM
I don't think Freeney will play considering how he couldn't put any pressure on his foot last night.

Robert Mathis scares me more.

FAX
11-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Don't worry about Mr. Skip Towne, Mr. Mr. Arrowhead. You're not a real fan until your euphemism has gotten a little stiff.

This is a great day. I think Croyle can be a good one.

FAX

Bump
11-12-2007, 05:37 PM
After Brodie beats the Colts, he's gonna bring Kanye West's mom back to life.

that's just not a good thing to say :shake:

KCJohnny
11-12-2007, 05:37 PM
If Brodie gets a 1st down in the first half, he will have improved the team over last year's visit to Indianapolis.

FAX
11-12-2007, 05:38 PM
"We understand what we’re walking into when we’re playing a young quarterback. At times it might look real good and at times, you might say, ‘Why did he do that?’ But you know what? So be it. We’ll live with that."

Not exactly a ringing vote of confidence, but what do you expect from a guy who cares more about his own reputation than anyone elses? Go Brodie!!!

FAX

Donger
11-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Not to be a Doubting Donger, but have the Chiefs said it's official? From where did Teicher get that quote from Herm? A press conference?

Mr. Arrowhead
11-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Mitch Holtus has even said its official

Warrior5
11-12-2007, 05:51 PM
If he pulls out a win, he deserves a ****ing parade through downtown.

Just covering the spread would be an all out miracle.

After our defense gave up 20 to the Denver JV team, I'm not too terribly optimistic that they can hold Indy under 35.

If he shows progress, doesn't make stupid mistakes, and inspires some confidence from his team mates, we could lose by 15 and I'd be happy.

Our defense did not give up 20 points to the Donks...

Frankie
11-12-2007, 05:52 PM
What a terrible game to finally start Croyle in. He'll run into a buzz saw. In a dome, no less.

Donger
11-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Mitch Holtus has even said its official

Fair enough. I wonder if this was a fait accompli or is Huard physically able to play?

FAX
11-12-2007, 05:56 PM
What a terrible game to finally start Croyle in. He'll run into a buzz saw. In a dome, no less.

I think it's a good one. Zero expectations for a win. Make no mistake, Mr. Frankie, Croyle's accustomed to pressure. I mean, there are SEC stadiums that can accommodate the population of China and those wacky bastards are serious about their college football.

FAX

OnTheWarpath15
11-12-2007, 05:58 PM
If he shows progress, doesn't make stupid mistakes, and inspires some confidence from his team mates, we could lose by 15 and I'd be happy.

Me too.

Our defense did not give up 20 points to the Donks...

I'll admit, I suck at math, but 2 FG's and 2 TD's equals 20 points.

The one drive that Denver started in KC territory (the 30, IIRC) they gave up a TD in THREE plays. That's on them.

Has they forced a 3-and-out and a FG, I'd cut them a break on the 3 points.

FAX
11-12-2007, 06:02 PM
What I'll be looking for is whether or not Brodie goes into some sort of Downfieldesque checkdown mode. Because, if he does, I will know that the three stooges have told him to and they are handcuffing the guy. Croyle needs to be able to fling the rock to the wide outs. That's his game. Early, deep, and often.

FAX

Sure-Oz
11-12-2007, 06:03 PM
SportsCenter just mentioned at the end of their telecast that he will start vs Indy.

Zouk
11-12-2007, 06:05 PM
What I'll be looking for is whether or not Brodie goes into some sort of Downfieldesque checkdown mode. Because, if he does, I will know that the three stooges have told him to and they are handcuffing the guy. Croyle needs to be able to fling the rock to the wide outs. That's his game. Early, deep, and often.

FAX

You will be disappointed. I might as well tell you now and not let you get your hopes up. To beat the Colts you need to keep Peyton off the field. That means keeping the clock moving with runs and short high-percentage passes. Incompletes will put the D right back on the field. And remember the Colts play cover 2 which takes away the deep passing game first. We will not win a shootout. We need to slow tempo.

Micjones
11-12-2007, 06:06 PM
It's the kid's time.
I don't know that he'll truly provide the spark we need offensively.

I think he'll make Bowe that much more dangerous if nothing else...

Though Bowe dropped his 4th TD catch yesterday.
He doesn't know what to do with a perfectly thrown ball.

FAX
11-12-2007, 06:07 PM
You will be disappointed. I might as well tell you now and not let you get your hopes up. To beat the Colts you need to keep Peyton off the field. That means keeping the clock moving with runs and short high-percentage passes. Incompletes will put the D right back on the field. And remember the Colts play cover 2 which takes away the deep passing game first. We will not win a shootout. We need to slow tempo.

Ah ... I see what you mean, Mr. Zouk. Kind of like what we did in the playoff game last year.

FAX

KCJohnny
11-12-2007, 06:51 PM

Yeah, and a dome with fake crowd noise pumped in (rumor...)

KCJohnny
11-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Though Bowe dropped his 4th TD catch yesterday.
He doesn't know what to do with a perfectly thrown ball.

ROFL

Coach
11-12-2007, 06:53 PM
8 games way too late, but I suppose it's better late than never.

go bo
11-12-2007, 07:01 PM
I told you morons it was.why, thank you...

nobody's called me a moran lately...

i feel neglected... :deevee: :deevee: :deevee:

say clayton, can you remind me of how many times bowe (my MAN!) failed to make a catch in the endzone?

seems like there was a tipped ball, but i don't remember any time that he actually dropped a pass that hit him in his hands while he was in the endzone...

seems like there was one play where bowe (my MAN!) had a step on champ chump but the ball was just a few inches from his fingertips...

if the qb had made a better throw that play is 6 points... :( :( :(

thanks ahead of time...

FAX
11-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Lenny said Bowe was getting held up on that play by the c-back too, Mr. go bowe. For what it's worth.

FAX

Mr. Arrowhead
11-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Just heard from Herm himself that we are going with Brodie on Chiefs kingdom radio show

Oh Snap
11-12-2007, 07:22 PM
when we played the packers, an interesting stat came up. the chiefs have had 8 different starting QBs in the time brett favre has been the packs only starter.

DaKCMan AP
11-12-2007, 07:28 PM
when we played the packers, an interesting stat came up. the chiefs have had 8 different starting QBs in the time brett favre has been the packs only starter.

That's nothing. The Dolphins have had something like 11 different starting QBs since 2001.

BigRedChief
11-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Croyle will be the first quarterback drafted by Kansas City to start a game for the Chiefs since Todd Blackledge, who was drafted in 1983.

cdcox
11-12-2007, 07:38 PM
And remember the Colts play cover 2 which takes away the deep passing game first.

So if your opponent runs a cover 2 because of their desire to keep all passes in front of the DB.

Should you help your opponent achieve the strategic objective by not running any deep plays? Because that is what we did in the playoff game.

You have to make your opponent struggle to achieve their strategic objective. You cannot concede it.

Phobia
11-12-2007, 07:45 PM
You know what? I was thinking Tony Adams and about to congratulate myself for being clever and knowledgeable. But I looked it up, and sonofabitch, if he wasn't drafted by San Diego.
If you're so clever and knowledgeable, name all the QB's drafted by San Diego who have started for the Chiefs (without looking it up).

Hammock Parties
11-12-2007, 07:48 PM
If you're so clever and knowledgeable, name all the QB's drafted by San Diego who have started for the Chiefs (without looking it up).

Trent Green.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Herm was interviewed by Mitch Holthus after the game as usual on 101.1 and said that if Croyle starts (which he is officially now) you'll see a lot of shotgun because Croyle is most comfortable in the shotgun and sees the field better.

Zouk
11-12-2007, 07:51 PM
So if your opponent runs a cover 2 because of their desire to keep all passes in front of the DB.

Should you help your opponent achieve the strategic objective by not running any deep plays? Because that is what we did in the playoff game.

You have to make your opponent struggle to achieve their strategic objective. You cannot concede it.

I just wish you would feel the same way about running into 8 in the box.

I don't want to put this game on the O-line's ability to pass block (especially on turf, where it's tougher) and on Croyle in his 1st game. That being said, Freeney out changes things a bit. He completely dominated the playoff game last year.

HMc
11-12-2007, 08:02 PM
that's pleasing, the shotgun comment. at least he has a chance of avoiding the rush for at least a second or two

J Diddy
11-12-2007, 08:06 PM

I think in Herm's head the cover 2 is kryptonite to any offense

cdcox
11-12-2007, 08:08 PM
I just wish you would feel the same way about running into 8 in the box.

I don't want to put this game on the O-line's ability to pass block (especially on turf, where it's tougher) and on Croyle in his 1st game. That being said, Freeney out changes things a bit. He completely dominated the playoff game last year.

If they play 8 in the box that is exactly when you want to throw in the 15 to 20 yard range, especially off play action.

In the playoff game, we threw passes in the 5 to 8 yard range. The safety in the box was right there.

If you make your opponent defend the whole field, the short passing game and running game will open up. If you only make them defend 10 yards within the LOS, nothing will be open because it just gets too crowded.

To neutralize the effect of the pass rush, you have to pick your spots. Croyle can make the throws. Opening the field will make his job easier.

J Diddy
11-12-2007, 08:12 PM
If they play 8 in the box that is exactly when you want to throw in the 15 to 20 yard range, especially off play action.

In the playoff game, we threw passes in the 5 to 8 yard range. The safety in the box was right there.

If you make your opponent defend the whole field, the short passing game and running game will open up. If you only make them defend 10 yards within the LOS, nothing will be open because it just gets too crowded.

To neutralize the effect of the pass rush, you have to pick your spots. Croyle can make the throws. Opening the field will make his job easier.

Intelligent thoughts

Maybe you should roll up to arrowhead in your pickup truck and apply for the OC job like that kicker did a couple of years back

cdcox
11-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Intelligent thoughts

Maybe you should roll up to arrowhead in your pickup truck and apply for the OC job like that kicker did a couple of years back

LMAO In another life, it would be interesting to get into coaching. I have definite strategic opinions but zero idea how to implement them tactically.

J Diddy
11-12-2007, 08:17 PM
LMAO In another life, it would be interesting to get into coaching. I have definite strategic opinions but zero idea how to implement them tactically.

see look you have 1 more quality than our current OC

HMc
11-12-2007, 08:51 PM
he's got a warm body

BigChiefFan
11-12-2007, 09:11 PM
This is good news. We have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain by this game. Croyle should help open up the running game and buy the WRs some time, too. Glad to see Carl saw the pathetic play from Huard. It's about time.

philfree
11-12-2007, 09:15 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: May the Good Lord Protect his blind side. With our O line he'll be in need of a little 'Emmaculate Protection'.

PhilFree:arrow:

wazu
11-12-2007, 09:18 PM
he's got a warm body

Kelly, is that you?

BigChiefFan
11-12-2007, 09:19 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: May the Good Lord Protect his blind side. With our O line he'll be in need of a little 'Emmaculate Protection'.

PhilFree:arrow:I agree. We need to pull Kris Wilson from the gameplan and bring in Jason Dunn for his blocking ability and one or two open completions he usually has. It's time to use our best blockers on the majority of snaps. Double TE formations and I-formation could help the team. The H-back doesn't work well in our scheme, plus he sucks at blocking.

Zouk
11-12-2007, 09:20 PM

When I say they're defending the deep pass, you say don't let them dictate what you do, pass it anyway.

When I say they're defending the run, you don't say that. You again say throw it.

See the inconsistency?

The NFL passing game is the hardest thing to get working on a team. For teams without great QBs, the easiest way to lose close games is through your own passing game. The stats back this up (as does the 3rd quarter of yesterday's game). Turnover margin is king in the NFL.

Hammock Parties
11-12-2007, 09:23 PM
The NFL passing game is the hardest thing to get working on a team.

So you'd say our passing game is pretty decent then?

Cus we can't run to save our life.

philfree
11-12-2007, 09:26 PM
I agree. We need to pull Kris Wilson from the gameplan and bring in Jason Dunn for his blocking ability and one or two open completions he usually has. It's time to use our best blockers on the majority of snaps. Double TE formations and I-formation could help the team. The H-back doesn't work well in our scheme, plus he sucks at blocking.

Hey that reminds me of my short yardage blocking idea. Move Waters to FB and put one of our back up tackles at LG.

PhilFree:arrow:

Easy 6
11-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Brodie walking out of there, under his own power with throwing arm intact, is all i'm really asking for here.

A GRUESOME first start all things considered...Please God, bring him home Alive... :hail:

FAX
11-12-2007, 09:41 PM
This will be an interesting game. If I were Dungy, I would throw every defensive look, scheme, blitz, dog, kamikaze back door stunt, and washer/dryer combination at Croyle in the first quarter. Basically, exhaust every effort to spook and confound the red shirt rookie. Given the state of our pass protection, most of it will probably work.

How Croyle reacts will tell us a lot about him.

FAX

NUMBER7
11-12-2007, 09:41 PM
The rebuilding has begun...Good Luck BC you will need it with this line.

cdcox
11-12-2007, 09:53 PM
When I say they're defending the deep pass, you say don't let them dictate what you do, pass it anyway.

When I say they're defending the run, you don't say that. You again say throw it.

See the inconsistency?

The NFL passing game is the hardest thing to get working on a team. For teams without great QBs, the easiest way to lose close games is through your own passing game. The stats back this up (as does the 3rd quarter of yesterday's game). Turnover margin is king in the NFL.

Actually, when the run is working, I'm a big advocate of pounding the ball. But it hasn't worked all year. I think we'll have to establish an intermediate-to-long passing game before we will be able to re-establish the run, at least with this OL.

As far as the passing game being the hardest thing to get working, there is no time like the present to start working on it. Since you have to have a good passing game to win a championship, it is on the critical path. It would be foolish to build the rest of the team, then take another 2 years to develop the passing game.

jAZ
11-12-2007, 10:17 PM
The streak is about to end, we are actually going to start a QB we drafted
Oddly enough, it took Herm Edwards to make happen.

crazycoffey
11-12-2007, 10:28 PM
'bout freakin time...

KCJohnny
11-12-2007, 10:30 PM

:clap:

:toast:

HMc
11-12-2007, 10:38 PM
i bet the chiefs cover 16.5

Iowanian
11-12-2007, 10:40 PM
I said in the preseason that Croyle would start week 5.

I still think that was the ideal spot to start him, after a rough(preseason view) first 4 with the away games, and he'd have had some starts at home, vs weaker Defenses.

He's going to make mistakes. I just want to see him rocket some balls to wrs and make better and better decisions each week.....and actually look at his 2nd and 3rd options when he has time.

11-12-2007, 10:40 PM
8 games to late, but I will take it!
Damn straight!!!!

Tribal Warfare
11-12-2007, 10:43 PM
I said in the preseason that Croyle would start week 5.

I still think that was the ideal spot to start him, after a rough(preseason view) first 4 with the away games, and he'd have had some starts at home, vs weaker Defenses.

He's going to make mistakes. I just want to see him rocket some balls to wrs and make better and better decisions each week.....and actually look at his 2nd and 3rd options when he has time.

I believe I said game 8, back when Hootie was making all of his welched wagers