PDA

View Full Version : I am concerned about Big 12 Basketball

BWillie
11-15-2007, 03:00 AM
I am deeply concerned regarding Big 12 basketball. It seems like every year people say oh the Big 12 is in a down year, well it has been that way for the last five years. The Big 12 has been perenially the worst BCS major conference in college basketball. Recently the Valley has risen up, and probably is a better basketball conference OVERALL than the big 12. The Valley probably doesn't have the greatest top teams like the Kansas's of the world, but they are solid through and through.

Lets take a look at a snap shot of what happened in the Big 12 today

Iowa State loses to Bradley 65-56. A Bradley team coming off of a loss to the likes of Illinois-Chicago University.

OKlahoma State loses by ten to NORTH TEXAS. When has North Texas been good at ANYTHING?

Sam Houston State beats TEXAS TECH by two. Bob Knight can't get recruits and it's starting to show. I can't remember the last time any major Texas school lost to Sam Houston State in any sports.

Texas AM pulls out a squeaker against the mighty UTEP.

Recruiting classes are down. I was reading on rivals the other day about ranking the recruits by conference. The Big 12 was once again had the lowest rated recruiting classes overall compared to the other six major conferences.

Additionally, there has been a huge coaching carousel and lack of stability within the coaching circles lately.

Why can't the Big 12 pull it together. The ACC and the SEC are going to run shit the next couple of years, with the Big 10, Big East, and the Pac 10 not far behind. Then waaaay behind is the Big 12.

The last two years the BIG XII has been dead last in conference RPI out of the major conferences, and that is INCLUDING the Missouri Valley.

Can you imagine how bad the Big 12 would be without Kansas? I can't even imagine it.

Silock
11-15-2007, 03:28 AM
I blame ESPN.

Bump
11-15-2007, 04:22 AM
so I guess KU will just have to run the table on them all.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Newsflash..the Big XII has always sucked in basketball, and has always been overrated in football.

Braincase
11-15-2007, 07:02 AM
Newsflash..the Big XII has always sucked in basketball, and has always been overrated in football.

Check 1988 NCAA Tourney - good showings by K-State and Oklahoma.

DaKCMan AP
11-15-2007, 07:05 AM

While Saul can exaggerate, going back 20 years to make a point is pretty sad. LMAO

Saulbadguy
11-15-2007, 08:34 AM
That was the Big 8. :)

Alec R
11-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Can't keep the coaches.

With the SEC and ACC having more traditional basketball schools than the Big 12, its tough to keep coaches here. Take Gillespie for example. He turned A&M around and the moment Kentucky opened up he bolted, no questions asked.

Roy bounced for NC from KU for cryin out loud.

OkSU lost Eddie and its pretty clear Sean is no where near the coach that his dad was. Rick Barnes sucks as a coach. He pretty much single handedly killed any chance UT had at winning even with Durant last year.

I think Huggins left too right? I cant remember. Until the Big 12 schools realize that they need to hire and KEEP big time coaches (which means over paying because traditional schools like UCLA, UNC, UK, etc can entice anyone if there is an opening even if it is for lesser money) who are also great recruiters. If A&M really wanted to keep competing, they would have kept Gillespie.

Also, keep in mind that the other conferences get rated higher mostly because of history. UNC almost lost to Davidson last night but that wont change the media's mind that UNC is the best in the land and that the ACC and Big East are awesome conferences (even though they are probably a bit overrated).

Besides, none of that matters. KU is the only school that mattes :D

kcfan82
11-15-2007, 08:45 AM
The Big XII is still working in alot of new coaches, I expect this conference to be alot better after the regular season.

Probably only 4-5 teams in the tourney this year though.

Lzen
11-15-2007, 09:34 AM
These things go in cycles. Just a few years ago, the Big 12 had consecutive years in which 2 of the Final Four teams were from the Big 12. Like others have said, the conference is breaking in a lot of new coaches this year.

As for KU and Roy - he would not have left for any other job. Come on, man. It was his alma mater.
KSU and Huggings - same thing, although I think he would have left anyways. Just not that soon.
Gillespie and aTm - what do you expect? Stay at a school that is much less concerned about hoops than they are about football or go to a traditional basketball powerhouse? That was a no-brainer.

I don't know what Big 12 coaches get paid in comparison to other conferences. Frankly, until someone can show some real figures on that, I'm not buying that BS that the Big 12 does not pay it's coaches as much. That's idiotic.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2007, 09:39 AM
To address the initial post -

Texas Tech won't amount to much this year IMO - Bobby Knight has lost the ability to recruit, and it will show in the next few years.

A&M is overrated. New coach, no Acie Law, poor shooting team.

Oklahoma State - they are breaking in quite a few new players, and still breaking in their new coach.

Iowa State - same as above.

Lzen
11-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Knight isn't able to recruit really good players, sure. But it has probably been a couple of decades since he has been able to do that. The guy is good at getting the most out of lesser players.

Braincase
11-15-2007, 09:57 AM
While Saul can exaggerate, going back 20 years to make a point is pretty sad. LMAO

I brought up that one to make a specific point. It's a private joke.

I guess I'd have to look up the W/L record in the tourney. There have been some teams that were good in the past that are having to rebound due to coaching issues/changes. There does seem to be a problem with signing highly-touted recruits, as in early rankings of the 2008 early signing periods, only one Big 12 team is in the top 25, according to Scouts.com, but then again, Scouts is what it is, based on subjective opinions.

RustShack
11-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Iowa State gets ****ed every year, Stinson and Blaylock decide to enter the draft, Taylor gets kicked off the team, the players that stick around are the ones who don't pan out like they were supposed to.

noa
11-15-2007, 10:06 AM
I blame globalization and the internet

chiefqueen
11-15-2007, 12:29 PM
So you're worried about KU and little 11 basketball? What worries you KU or the little 11?

KcMizzou
11-15-2007, 12:33 PM
I think Mizzou's going to be a little better than I had expected.

This DeMarre Carroll kid's a player.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2007, 12:36 PM
So you're worried about KU and little 11 basketball? What worries you KU or the little 11?
It will be fine when KU wins the big XII, but when they bow out of the tournament early, it's "blame the Big XII" time. This is just a premature strike.

KC_Connection
11-15-2007, 12:57 PM
so I guess KU will just have to run the table on them all.
Two perfect seasons in one year, fantastic.

Reerun_KC
11-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Two perfect seasons in one year, fantastic.

It will, but now that KSU is a basketball school, the BIG 12 might become more of a traditional power.

Lzen
11-15-2007, 03:40 PM
It will be fine when KU wins the big XII, but when they bow out of the tournament early, it's "blame the Big XII" time. This is just a premature strike.

ROFL A Wildkitty talking smack on KU. That is priceless. ROFL

Saulbadguy
11-15-2007, 03:41 PM
ROFL A Wildkitty talking smack on KU. That is priceless. ROFL
Brilliant retort. If you are gonna bring it, bring it strong.

Edit: Oh, I forgot. "OMG GAYHAWK LOL!!!11 watch out pidgeons!! ROFL ROFL smilie : :"

barry_smilez20
11-15-2007, 04:34 PM
im concerned by people actually watching basketball