PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs at Colts breakdown

jjchieffan
11-17-2007, 10:45 AM
I know, its just ff take, but still interesting read.

Kansas City Chiefs (4-5) at Indianapolis Colts (7-2)

I think I'm right about some things. You might not agree, but honestly, I believe it. One whiff of mine, though, was believing the Chiefs' O-line would stand up this season. It hasn't. Oh, they've stayed remarkably healthy. They just aren't good, especially at tackle. Damion McIntosh always was going to be the key; if he could play, they'd be all right. But McIntosh has shown exactly as much as he showed in Miami: nothing. The run-blocking hasn't been terrible -- it's the pass-blocking. Man, it nearly got Damon Huard killed last week. Now, they will set their sights on protecting Brodie Croyle. Good luck, Brodie.

Fantasy Up: What can I say? I have faith in Peyton Manning. I don't always love his on-field antics, but he'll shake off last Sunday night and pick on old nemesis Ty Law all day. ... The Chiefs' job Sunday will be to run directly at Simeon Rice for as many plays as he's on the field. If Dwight Freeney (out for the season with a foot injury) is disinclined to stay home and defend the run, Rice is a veritable "Hogan's Heroes" tunneler. I'd use Priest Holmes. He looked much more explosive than I expected. ... All that said, I think Indy's defense will make a statement Sunday and is worth a spot-start. Croyle doesn't step into his throws, which means his ball will sail. In the Dome, I think this will make for a turnover-prone game against corners who willl have to play more man than usual while Bob Sanders steps forward to defend the run. Better offenses are going to test Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden. This one won't.

Fantasy Down: Chiefs offensive coordinator Mike Solari calls plays like a former offensive line coach, which is to say he doesn't act as though he's got a holistic view of his offense. The only thing working last week was the run game, so why did he come out and throw four straight times to start the second half, which led to an interception and a fumble? Why did he pick that week, against Denver's abysmal rush defense, to change his game plan and throw? I know, it's easy to criticize after the fact, and the Chiefs definitely have needed an injection of aggression in '07, but it seemed to come at all the wrong moments last week. Anyway, bench Croyle, and I'd think long and hard before using Dwayne Bowe.

Easy 6
11-17-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm not a fantasy footballer, but still thought this was an interesting take. The only thing i disagree with is his assessment of McIntosh, his run blocking is average at best, but his pass pro is serviceable. He's NOT a long term solution, but not a bad stop-gap considering the alternatives.

I'd have to agree about Brodie not stepping into his throws enough, he really tends to rely on his arm...that worked in college, but it wont here. Just imagine his velocity & accuracy when/if that ever gets fixed. Which is why its IMPERATIVE that a true QB coach be brought in next year.

Every stop needs to be pulled out to get him some solid, position specific, coaching. Lets not waste this kind of talent.

Hammock Parties
11-17-2007, 08:24 PM
But McIntosh has shown exactly as much as he showed in Miami: nothing. The run-blocking hasn't been terrible -- it's the pass-blocking.

Very uninformed take.

KCJohnny
11-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Brodie will acquit himself remarkably well tomorrow. QB position is not the reason KC's offense has floundered. Its been the OL, the RB and the failure of receivers to get separation. If Kennison can play 4 quarters, and Croyle can connect from the shotgun and the 3-step drops, the Chiefs will make a contest out of this.
The Chiefs D has the ability to keep their O in the game, even though they will give up gaudy stats between the 20s. Kansas City will go as far as their offensive coordinator and his OL can carry them. Which should be right into the 4th quarter with the game still in reach.

Easy 6
11-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Brodie will acquit himself remarkably well tomorrow. QB position is not the reason KC's offense has floundered. Its been the OL, the RB and the failure of receivers to get separation. If Kennison can play 4 quarters, and Croyle can connect from the shotgun and the 3-step drops, the Chiefs will make a contest out of this.
The Chiefs D has the ability to keep their O in the game, even though they will give up gaudy stats between the 20s. Kansas City will go as far as their offensive coordinator and his OL can carry them. Which should be right into the 4th quarter with the game still in reach.

Win or lose, i'm totally STOKED for this one.

Theres a new Sheriff in town & he wont hesitate to pull the trigger.

Rasputin
11-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Win or lose, i'm totally STOKED for this one.

Theres a new Sheriff in town & he wont hesitate to pull the trigger.

****YEA!!!

Coach
11-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Very uninformed take.

Actually, no. He has progressed worse in each passing game. McIntosh put on one of the most piss poor performances I've ever seen on Sunday. Honestly Jordan Black might have been better.

Being legitimately outplayed by Kyle Turley really speaks volumes.

Hammock Parties
11-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Actually, no.

Actually, yes. McIntosh is a much better pass blocker than Black. He's been beaten a few times this year, but he's not going to lead the league in sacks allowed. Overall though it's a wash, because Black was a better run blocker.

The writer also seems to think our run blocking is decent. Nothing could be further from the truth. Our run blocking is easily worse than our pass blocking. Although less than bad does not equal good, as our departed buddy htismaqe always said.