PDA

View Full Version : Rate Brodie's first NFL start

Wile_E_Coyote
11-19-2007, 11:36 AM
On a scale of 1-10

Chris Meck
11-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Seriously? I'd give him an 8. No picks, a beautiful TD pass, good % in a run-heavy offense.

Mr. Kotter
11-19-2007, 11:38 AM

(FWIW, I consider what Brady is doing in NE to be a 9.5)

chasedude
11-19-2007, 11:38 AM
I give him a 7. He put on a good show but should have said screw Solari and called some audibles. The coaches aren't on the field the players are, let them do what they do best.

DaKCMan AP
11-19-2007, 11:39 AM
8, wasn't given the opportunity to earn anything higher. He didn't make any bad throws (ie. near-miss INTs). Made good decisions, stayed calm, avoided some sacks when the pocket collapsed.

luv
11-19-2007, 11:40 AM
I give him a 7. He put on a good show but should have said screw Solari and called some audibles. The coaches aren't on the field the players are, let them do what they do best.
You would say screw the coaches on your first NFL start? I'd think you'd wait until you've proven your ability. Of course, then they might open you up more once you've done so.

kc1977
11-19-2007, 11:42 AM
No objective way to rate the performance - he wasn't given the opportunity to perform.

Coogs
I'd give him a 9. Really only had one bad throw. The over throw on the deep out. Given the situation of where he started his first game... at Indy comming off of two straight losses... Croyld played very well.

Wile_E_Coyote
The shot of him setting on the bench with offensive guys huddled around him was impressive to me. Leadership is not overrated

FAX
11-19-2007, 11:47 AM
I wish I'd seen the game so I could vote.

Nevertheless, I'll say "8" based solely on his stat line. If you rely on the play-by-play, I think you could say that we might well have won the game if they had let him fling a couple more in or near the endzone while we were hovering around the Indy 30 or so. Pick up another touchdown, PI call, or something.

FAX

chasedude
11-19-2007, 11:48 AM
You would say screw the coaches on your first NFL start? I'd think you'd wait until you've proven your ability. Of course, then they might open you up more once you've done so.

No better way to start than now! :)

KCJohnny
11-19-2007, 11:50 AM
I gave him 8.
He had great poise on the road against the defending NFL champs. He outplayed Manning. The next 6 games will be a cakewalk compared to yesterday.

FAX
11-19-2007, 11:51 AM

The way things are right now, he would probably garner the eternal respect of his teammates, Ms. luv.

Taking 3 timeouts into the locker room at halftime is basically demonstrating an extreme lack of confidence in your players.

FAX

Direckshun
11-19-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm giving him an Incomplete.

If Set Up To Fail By The Coaching Staff was an option, I'd select that one, too.

FAX
11-19-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm giving him an Incomplete.

If Set Up To Fail By The Coaching Staff was an option, I'd select that one, too.

I'm glad you're on board today, Mr. Direckshun. You've been very realistic about the Brodie experiment. What was your impression of his play given the above?

FAX

KCJohnny
11-19-2007, 11:56 AM
The way things are right now, he would probably garner the eternal respect of his teammates, Ms. luv.

Taking 3 timeouts into the locker room at halftime is basically demonstrating an extreme lack of confidence in your players.

FAX

And some of those players can play.

I was disgusted with that decision and I am sure Brodie was as well. THREE TIME OUTS!!!! That's an eternity! And 1 FG might win this game!!!!:banghead:

luv
11-19-2007, 12:00 PM

FAX
As Wile noted, he was huddled on the sideline with his offense. I think he's gaining their respect.

Right now, I'm thinking that those who put him in could just as easily take him out.

BigRedChief
11-19-2007, 12:00 PM
From Techer's KC Star article:

When the Chiefs let Croyle off the short leash, there were signs he knew what to do with the freedom. The Chiefs’ only touchdown came on Croyle’s 19-yard pass to Dwayne Bowe in the third quarter.

Croyle faced third down and 7, making a throw into the end zone do or die because of unsteady kicker Dave Rayner, who had already missed two field-goal attempts.

The play was designed to go to Gonzalez in the middle of the field, but Croyle noticed the 6-foot-2 Bowe on the outside alone with 5-9 nickel back T.J. Rushing, a classic mismatch.
“That’s something I’m going to take basically every time,” Croyle said.

BigRedChief
11-19-2007, 12:03 PM
The shot of him setting on the bench with offensive guys huddled around him was impressive to me. Leadership is not overratedThey were saying that Brodie called them over too. He's still a rook. Has to prove himself to his fellow players but he is the QB. He touches the ball every snap. An NFL QB has to provide leadership. The sooner the better, even as a rook.

RedThat
11-19-2007, 12:03 PM
I like what I saw from him yesterday.

If he had a good coaching staff around him, I think he would excel.

After watching the game yesterday, I think he needs to work a little more on his touch. Sometimes he threw that ball too hard with a lot of zip.

Mr. Laz
11-19-2007, 12:06 PM
struggled with nerves early ....... but settled down and made the most of our run,run,pass,punt offense.

gotta feel sorry for him a little bit .... he's a new QB with the 3 stooges coaching him.

FAX
11-19-2007, 12:06 PM
As Wile noted, he was huddled on the sideline with his offense. I think he's gaining their respect.

Right now, I'm thinking that those who put him in could just as easily take him out.

Oh, I think he will gain their respect, eventually, if he hasn't already.

Honestly, there have been player eruptions all year. LJ, Gonzo, Huard, etc. In fact, a player revolt may well be in order and could be beneficial to Herm in the long run. Look at what happened with the Giants, for example. Herm can take his tolerance box and shove it up his ass so far as I'm concerned. There are some players on this offense who remember what it's like to score whether Herm wants to believe that or not.

Viva la Revolucion!

FAX

chasedude
11-19-2007, 12:07 PM

When the Chiefs let Croyle off the short leash, there were signs he knew what to do with the freedom. The Chiefs’ only touchdown came on Croyle’s 19-yard pass to Dwayne Bowe in the third quarter.

Croyle faced third down and 7, making a throw into the end zone do or die because of unsteady kicker Dave Rayner, who had already missed two field-goal attempts.

The play was designed to go to Gonzalez in the middle of the field, but Croyle noticed the 6-foot-2 Bowe on the outside alone with 5-9 nickel back T.J. Rushing, a classic mismatch.

See the kid has some intelligence, give him some leeway and he can make some plays. I'd like to see Brodie cut that cord and stuff the placenta right down Herm's throat.

luv
11-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Oh, I think he will gain their respect, eventually, if he hasn't already.

Honestly, there have been player eruptions all year. LJ, Gonzo, Huard, etc. In fact, a player revolt may well be in order and could be beneficial to Herm in the long run. Look at what happened with the Giants, for example. Herm can take his tolerance box and shove it up his ass so far as I'm concerned. There are some players on this offense who remember what it's like to score whether Herm wants to believe that or not.

Viva la Revolucion!

FAX
That's what I don't get. Why would you want to leash your offense in order to have good defense? I'd say that, if you have a good defense, let your offense run wild, but then someone might accuse us of running up the score. :rolleyes:

the Talking Can
11-19-2007, 12:10 PM

awesome...his natural instincts are to make the play....

RedThat
11-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Talking can you need to change your avatar to Chiefs flush hope with Herm. Herm's head should be on that toilet...lol

Rooster
11-19-2007, 12:18 PM
8, wasn't given the opportunity to earn anything higher. He didn't make any bad throws (ie. near-miss INTs). Made good decisions, stayed calm, avoided some sacks when the pocket collapsed.

Ditto. He did what he was asked to do and did it pretty well IMO. I was very pleased.

Mr. Laz
11-19-2007, 12:23 PM
That's what I don't get. Why would you want to leash your offense in order to have good defense? I'd say that, if you have a good defense, let your offense run wild, but then someone might accuse us of running up the score. :rolleyes:
leashing an offense is what happens when you have head coach that doesn't feel comfortable running an offense.

they get nervous and conservative because they don't know what to do.

Reerun_KC
11-19-2007, 12:31 PM
leashing an offense is what happens when you have head coach that doesn't feel comfortable running an offense.

they get nervous and conservative because they don't know what to do.

Dick Curl will solve all of those problems in 2008... You just watch.

Dickomotion in 2008

RustShack
11-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Anyone that put below 5 should be shot. He didn't do bad at all, especially for the situation he was put in.

KCFalcon59
11-19-2007, 12:34 PM
6. Lots of promise in this one. More chances he does need.

Rausch
11-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Depends.

How well did he execute what he was asked to do?

I'd give him a solid "A."

Played smart, no INT's, moved well in and out of the pocket, and wasn't afraid to use his talent to make plays.

StcChief
11-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Solid 8. Int/ Fumble.
TD pass and serveral other good pass/run plays.

showed poise.

Phobia
11-19-2007, 01:12 PM
I gave an 8. Had he gotten the win, it would have been a 10. I realize he was handcuffed and not really given an opportunity but life isn't fair. Had he made just one more play, maybe he would have won. Who knows?

FAX
11-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Solid 8. Int/ Fumble.
TD pass and serveral other good pass/run plays.

showed poise.

Did he have an INT, Mr. StcChief? I didn't see that on the stat line.

FAX

Iowanian
11-19-2007, 01:16 PM
I gave him a 7, but wouldn't argue with an 8.

I saw him poised under pressure, deliver the ball with velocity, look off the first option and go to the checkdown and make some very nice throws.....with a subpar Oline, backup RB vs the superbowl champs.

It was encouraging.....Croyle to Bowe could be fun to watch for several seasons.

boogblaster
11-19-2007, 01:18 PM
8. did good for what he was told to do..OC needs to open up more passing plays..we have a gun-slinger now ......

Reerun_KC
11-19-2007, 01:55 PM
8 could be better if Herm and Curls would let the kid just play...

Thig Lyfe
11-19-2007, 02:01 PM

I agree, but that's too much to expect from today's quarterbacks.

I gave him a 7. Great work with what they let him do.

KCJohnny
11-19-2007, 02:03 PM
I agree, but that's too much to expect from today's quarterbacks.

I gave him a 7. Great work with what they let him do.

The Chiefs system does not allow for audibles.

Rausch
11-19-2007, 02:07 PM
The Chief's thinktank does not allow for audibles.

FYP...

KCJohnny
11-19-2007, 02:10 PM
FYP...

What is FYP?
:huh:

Simplex3
11-19-2007, 02:18 PM
I went with a 6, but honestly I liked what I saw. I think he's going to be just fine...

...until Herm ruins him.

Thig Lyfe
11-19-2007, 02:19 PM
The Chiefs system does not allow for audibles.

And there's that.

Is it just me, or has all the shifting DV did on O been reduced by 98%?

Sure-Oz
11-19-2007, 02:22 PM
7 it couldve been higher if he was unleashed to throw past 5 yards

FAX
11-19-2007, 02:22 PM
And there's that.

All part of the offensive simplification process, Mr. SportsRacer.

As is, of course, the strategy of actually not trying to move the ball at all.

FAX

HemiEd
11-19-2007, 02:23 PM
7, much better than I expected.

Mr. Arrowhead
11-19-2007, 02:29 PM
I wonder if Huard came on here and clicked on a "1" for brodie

HemiEd
11-19-2007, 02:33 PM
And there's that.

Jason Dunn had a penalty called, end of the shifting.

It is similar to last year, Herm was unhappy with Solari's aggressive playcalling. We know what happened then.

The Wing T is right around the corner.

kc rush
11-19-2007, 04:03 PM
He did what he was allowed to do pretty well.

He seemed to move in the pocket and look off receivers. He has a great arm but had a few overthrows, although he seemed more on the money than not.

Hopefully they take the reigns off and allow him to throw down field more in his second game.

I voted 6 based on the grand scheme. Had he been allowed to do more (and he made the completions), I probably would have gone up to an 8.

I'm anxious to see him against the raiders.

Duck Dog
11-19-2007, 04:33 PM
I gave him an 8.
-First start
-at Indy
-no picks
-did well despite Solari and Curl

I give his wife a 9.5

Adept Havelock
11-19-2007, 04:36 PM
I'll give him a 7.5

Solid outing within the limitations of the offense, for a first start.

Hootie
11-19-2007, 04:39 PM
I gave him a 6...

We lost, but he executed the gameplan (hahahaha) nicely...but he wasn't asked to really do anything...so I can't warrant giving him anymore than a 6.

He missed a wide open Bowe for a first down and failed to protect the ball when he fumbled otherwise I'd probably give him a 7.

Either way, I think he looks like a great QB in the making.

KCJohnny
11-19-2007, 04:42 PM
And there's that.

What good is all the shifts and motion if every 1st down is I-Left, 33 plunge?