PDA

View Full Version : NFL Officials work hard at getting it right.

BigRedChief
11-20-2007, 07:45 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7465214
Still, Pereira is proud of the high performance level being maintained by his crews. He said officials continue to consistently grade in the range of 97 percent. Such accuracy isn't an accident.

NFL officials spend almost as much time preparing for games as players and coaches. "I think the general perception of people who are not involved in officiating is they show up at 11 a.m. the day of the game and then go home after," Pereira said. "Nothing could be further from the truth." For a Sunday game, crews are required to gather by 2 p.m. Saturday in the host city for a four-hour meeting.

Reports from the previous week's game and about the upcoming teams are reviewed. A rules test also is administered. A devotional breakfast and another meeting precedes Sunday's kickoff. Afterward, all officials are given a DVD of the game to review on their way home. Another DVD follows Tuesday featuring select plays teams submitted from coaching tapes that provide different camera angles on questionable rulings.

A graded report from Pereira's office follows Wednesday. Officials also must complete a weekly 100-question take-home test and maintain the physical fitness needed to cover the field.

All this while holding non-football jobs.

DaFace
11-20-2007, 09:52 AM
All this while holding non-football jobs.

I'm one to usually give NFL refs the benefit of the doubt. Plays happen so fast that I certainly can't say I could do their jobs anywhere near to the level of quality that they do. In addition, instant replay has given them a level of accountability that wasn't there before. However, this line is the one that bothers me. They're paid well enough (or at least they should be). Why should they be allowed to hold outside jobs rather than focus on being an NFL ref?

Deberg_1990
11-20-2007, 10:01 AM
I think under the circumstances, NFL officials do a pretty dang good job. I know alot of fans think "its personal" when their team, gets hosed on a call, but its not. Every team, at one point or another gets hosed.

Id say about 90% of the time, they make the right call.

Mile High Mania
11-20-2007, 10:11 AM
I think under the circumstances, NFL officials do a pretty dang good job. I know alot of fans think "its personal" when their team, gets hosed on a call, but its not. Every team, at one point or another gets hosed.

Id say about 90% of the time, they make the right call.

They do favor Denver though... don't know why, but they do... I've read it here countless times.
:)

Honestly, I do think they get most of the calls right. I'm not sure why they didn't review that one play last night in the first half though when Scaife caught that pass... it was under 2 minutes, should have been reviewed.

DaKCMan AP
11-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Why should they be allowed to hold outside jobs rather than focus on being an NFL ref?

They're not allowed. They're required to. They also have to make over a certain amount outside of the NFL.

Mr. Plow
11-20-2007, 10:16 AM
They missed that call last night in the Denver game....at least I thought they did.

Can't remember who made the catch, but a diving catch by a Titan was ruled incomplete. It was under the 2 minute warning and no booth review. To me, it looked completed, but they thought it hit the ground.

chief52
11-20-2007, 10:19 AM
They're not allowed. They're required to. They also have to make over a certain amount outside of the NFL.

I am not so sure they are "required" to. Where did you hear that? I know I have a buddy who officiates and he "retired" at 50 from his regular job, which means he quit and froze his retirement. Yes, most do have a job, but I have never heard it was required.

DaKCMan AP
11-20-2007, 10:24 AM
I am not so sure they are "required" to. Where did you hear that? I know I have a buddy who officiates and he "retired" at 50 from his regular job, which means he quit and froze his retirement. Yes, most do have a job, but I have never heard it was required.

They either have a job or are collecting a pension (ie. retired).

chief52
11-20-2007, 10:33 AM
They either have a job or are collecting a pension (ie. retired).

Well, he is doing neither as freezing a retirement is not collecting. Never heard about that but I will ask him in the off season.

a1na2
11-20-2007, 11:27 AM
The Chiefs were called on a horsecollar foul in the Indy game, our guy grabbed the jersey. No penalty was called until Manning whined to the officials.

One of our guys was horsecollared and nary a flag came out, and it was the kind that could have injured Smith (I think).

They might be trying to get it right, but only if you are wearing the right uniform.

petegz28
11-20-2007, 11:39 AM
The Chiefs were called on a horsecollar foul in the Indy game, our guy grabbed the jersey. No penalty was called until Manning whined to the officials.

One of our guys was horsecollared and nary a flag came out, and it was the kind that could have injured Smith (I think).

They might be trying to get it right, but only if you are wearing the right uniform.

BLAM! Exactly! No call was going to made until the Golden-Child whined like a baby.

And the fact was there was no penalty to be called against us and there was against Indy.

Rep!

chief52
11-20-2007, 11:55 AM

That is one thing I totally disagree with. I can not believe some fans actually believe that. I guarantee you the officials in the Chief/Colt game and all games for that matter, could care less who wins. I officiated for years from youth through the NCAA and never saw an official who cared who one. Not one.

Officials are not perfect. They do the best they can and the calls all come out in the long run. Never do they play favorites or make calls one way or the other. They do the best they can and while that may not be perfect, it is pretty damn close to it.

Valiant
11-20-2007, 11:58 AM

That is one thing that pissed me off about the officiating at that game, Indy talked the refs into throwing the flag twice.. WTF, since when can a player whine a ref into throwing a flag after the fact..

Pushead2
11-20-2007, 12:00 PM
That is one thing that pissed me off about the officiating at that game, Indy talked the refs into throwing the flag twice.. WTF, since when can a player whine a ref into throwing a flag after the fact..

did he have the captain's C :hmmm:

petegz28
11-20-2007, 12:00 PM
That is one thing I totally disagree with. I can not believe some fans actually believe that. I guarantee you the officials in the Chief/Colt game and all games for that matter, could care less who wins. I officiated for years from youth through the NCAA and never saw an official who cared who one. Not one.

Officials are not perfect. They do the best they can and the calls all come out in the long run. Never do they play favorites or make calls one way or the other. They do the best they can and while that may not be perfect, it is pretty damn close to it.

So no flag until Manning whines? And no flag when Manning's team pulls the same thing?

OK!

chief52
11-20-2007, 12:03 PM
So no flag until Manning whines? And no flag when Manning's team pulls the same thing?

OK!

So you actually think that NFL officials, graded on every move they make, care if Manning or any other player whines? Trust me, they would have never made it to the high school level if that thought crossed their minds.

Valiant
11-20-2007, 12:04 PM

I don't know about not caring.. You have to wonder a lot of times when something is so blatantly not called right in front of the official.. Take the NE/Buffalo game, Moss's second TD I believe it was, Moss pushed off from the defender and then caught the ball the camera was zoomed out and you could see the official 5-6 yards at the goalline staring at Moss and then calling a TD.. You could see the blatant push off and then no-call.. Should have been a PI against Moss..

A little pushoff fine, but the defender got chucked back a couple yards and could not even attempt to make the play..

To combat this I think teams should be able to challenge a catch if they were pushed off, would get WR to quit doing it all the damn time while refs let them get away with it...

StcChief
11-20-2007, 12:06 PM
BLAM! Exactly! No call was going to made until the Golden-Child whined like a baby.

And the fact was there was no penalty to be called against us and there was against Indy.

Rep!
exactly...whiney bitch Manning gets call... we get the BS no-call.

exactly why he should face planted in the turf.

Valiant
11-20-2007, 12:06 PM
So you actually think that NFL officials, graded on every move they make, care if Manning or any other player whines? Trust me, they would have never made it to the high school level if that thought crossed their minds.

I take it you did not watch the game then, because what you just defended happened.. Manning did talk the refs into throwing a horsecollar tackle penalty when it did not happen..

chief52
11-20-2007, 12:10 PM
I don't know about not caring.. You have to wonder a lot of times when something is so blatantly not called right in front of the official.. Take the NE/Buffalo game, Moss's second TD I believe it was, Moss pushed off from the defender and then caught the ball the camera was zoomed out and you could see the official 5-6 yards at the goalline staring at Moss and then calling a TD.. You could see the blatant push off and then no-call.. Should have been a PI against Moss..

A little pushoff fine, but the defender got chucked back a couple yards and could not even attempt to make the play..

To combat this I think teams should be able to challenge a catch if they were pushed off, would get WR to quit doing it all the damn time while refs let them get away with it...

They may blow calls...but they pay the price for it on their ratings. You are talking about one catch...how many go on on a Sunday? Maybe bad angle, maybe a player blocking his view. That is something fans never consider. There are 22 huge athletes running around out there and sometimes there is one right between you and the play you want to call no matter how you try not to let it happen. While it may have looked blatant to you, it may not have been from the angle the official had. Trust me, NFL receivers, especially Moss, are professionals at pushing off at the right time and not getting caught. Michael Irvin was great at it.

chief52
11-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I take it you did not watch the game then, because what you just defended happened.. Manning did talk the refs into throwing a horsecollar tackle penalty when it did not happen..

I watched the game and know that Manning "did not talk them into making the call". Do you really think he walked over there and told them they missed a horsecollar so they threw the flag? They talked it over and made the call. His two cents meant nothing. Like I said, they would not have made it out of youth league if they cared what the players thought of their calls.

Skip Towne
11-20-2007, 12:24 PM

You hear a lot about "make up" calls on here. Does that happen?

chief52
11-20-2007, 12:31 PM

I sure do not think so. I know I never felt it did. That is a slippery slope. Where would it stop if you started doing that? I do not think you can make up for anything. Just like a player, you must put each play behind you and concentrate on the next or you will blow it.

Officials do miss calls, but never with intent or due to partiality. It truly is amazing how rarely NFL officials miss calls IMO. They work so hard on it as the opening post states. They watch film and take test and review their games all year long. If they could find a better way to groom officials I am sure they would. They are always trying to perfect it.

penguinz
11-20-2007, 12:32 PM

OK!You are a god damned idiot. Yes the call against us was bad. People make mistakes. If I am thinking of the same one against Smith then it was a correct no call. The defended removed his hand from the shoulder pads before pulling the player to the ground.

xbarretx
11-20-2007, 12:39 PM

*cough cough* QFT

chief52
11-20-2007, 01:21 PM
The bottom line is the NFL goes over films of every official from all angles and grades each official on every play. They study and work out in order to make sure they do the best job they possibly can. Their future in the league and what playoff games they get will be judged on how well they score. It is highly competitive.

Every official tries to make the correct call and the "eye in the sky" will tell them how they did when the league critiques them. Every play is an individual entity and must be officiated in the best possible way. It is just like a player.

It just amazes me when people that actually follow the game feel that officials treat a team or player different from another...or that Manning has the power to actually force the officials to make a call. It actually seems like there are some Chief fans that feel for some reason the Chiefs are not treated fairly. Total BS! These officials are unbiased and well prepared, but they are human.

Deberg_1990
11-20-2007, 01:39 PM

Yes, because never in the history of the Kansas City Chiefs, has a player ever whined to the refs and gotten the call he wanted.

Deberg_1990
11-20-2007, 01:42 PM

I think it happens in the NBA alot. We all know the ugly recent history of NBA refs. If any sport has dirty officials, its the refs and that sport out of all the major sports would probably be the easiest to control a game.

chief52
11-20-2007, 06:12 PM
bump

BigRedChief
11-21-2007, 06:01 AM
Yes, because never in the history of the Kansas City Chiefs, has a player ever whined to the refs and gotten the call he wanted.
Never.:harumph:

HMc
11-21-2007, 06:29 AM
i think it's less about "caring who wins" and more about subconsciously favouring the team that is supposedly "better" because they'd be less likely to make mistakes. You see it in all sports and i can't imagine the NFL is immune.

Then there's Superbowl XL, which looked dodgy as f*ck

a1na2
11-21-2007, 07:17 AM
I think the NFL's officials are some of the most biased people in the world. They have their opinions of who is the lesser teams and who they feel are the better teams and the lesser teams get more of the cheesey calls than the others. Just an opinion but watch the games. One play in particular is the horsecollar that didn't happen but got a flag after a player whined about it and then the horsecollar that did happen and was not called. Amazingly enough we never saw any Chiefs personnel whining about that one.

I may be wrong, but I don't really think anyone can justify the bad calls that some teams get. We have all seen blatant holding penalties that are never called and then we see the non-holding plays that get the flag. Everyone knows that you can call holding against every team on every offensive play and it would not be wrong. the threshold of what is a hold is inconsistant between officials not to mention inconsistant from the same official depending on who is on the field.