PDA

View Full Version : Priest Holmes to retire Wednesday per NFL.com

brent102fire
11-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Banged-up Chiefs RB Holmes expected to retire
By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

Kansas City Chiefs running back Priest Holmes is expected to retire after suffering another neck injury Sunday and meeting with doctors this week. An announcement could come as early as Wednesday.

One source familiar with the situation said Tuesday night: "He is retiring for sure. Noon press conference on Wednesday."

However, a Chiefs spokesman denied that and said that Holmes still is weighing his options.

A three-time Pro Bowler, Holmes was one of the league's top running backs from 2001-05, rushing for almost 6,000 yards and scoring a then-record 27 touchdowns in 2003. His career appeared to be over when he sustained neck and spinal injuries during a game at San Diego in October 2005 and spent the next two years completely away from the game.

But he called the Chiefs shortly before they went to training camp in July and told them he had seen himself in a dream playing football again and wanted to stage a comeback.

Holmes capped a remarkable comeback story when he was activated in Week 7 against the Oakland Raiders. Holmes made two recent starts for the Chiefs and gained 137 yards on 46 attempts in four games.

Holmes would retire as the Chiefs' all-time leading rusher with 6,070 yards. He has rushed for 8,172 yards in his 11-year career with Baltimore and Kansas City.

The Chiefs, who traded running back Michael Bennett to Tampa Bay last month and possibly lost Larry Johnson for the season with a mysterious foot injury, could turn to rookie Kolby Smith to start against the Raiders on Sunday. Smith, a fifth-round selection out of Louisville, has rushed for 19 yards on 10 attempts this season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8046285a&template=without-video&confirm=true

Deberg_1990
11-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Im starting to think this whole Priest Holmes comeback thing was nothing but a shame and PR event for Carl.

Hmmmmmm

KCFalcon59
11-20-2007, 10:23 PM
It just gets worse as each day passes.

Hammock Parties
11-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Im starting to think this whole Priest Holmes comeback thing was nothing but a shame and PR event for Carl.

Hmmmmmm

No. It was legit.

Bad stuff happens to good people.

OctoberFart
11-20-2007, 10:26 PM
KC cheaps are in deep trouble with no Diaper Boy or Holmes.

Deberg_1990
11-20-2007, 10:27 PM

News flash...we werent very good with them anyways.

dirk digler
11-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Goodbye Priest it was good to see you come back but your life and health are way more important than playing on a Herm Edwards coached team.

He probably saw how bad a coach he is and how bad this team really was and said **** it I aint getting killed for these losers

TEX
11-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Perfect!
The lost season continues with another excuse for Herm to use.

Preist was too good for this twisted pile of $HIT the Chiefs call an offense anyway. His health is too important and he gave it his all - and then some. Man, I LOVED watching that guy run. I'd have loved to have seen him score one more time. But this is Herm's team now so an offensive TD is out of the question - especially when in the Red Zone or Gold Zone or whatever the **** the idiot calls it. :shake:

Demonpenz
11-20-2007, 10:29 PM
he looked pretty good but oh well he got his final paycheck thanks again

stevieray
11-20-2007, 10:29 PM

Hmmmmmm

I'm starting to think you're a "shame".

vailpass
11-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Props to Priest. He was a bad motha' in his day. I'm glad to see him leave on his feet and not strapped to a board.

FAX
11-20-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm convinced that Priest's effort was legitimate. What I don't understand is that, if his neck couldn't take any more punishment than he received, why he was on the field at all. He needs a new doctor.

FAX

TEX
11-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Props to Priest. He was a bad motha' in his day. I'm glad to see him leave on his feet and not strapped to a board.

:clap:

RealSNR
11-20-2007, 10:36 PM
If you set 12 boxes of Krispy Kremes in front of Whitlock right now and said, "Eat," his mouth would still be watering more over this story.

DMAC
11-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Terrible news.

Demonpenz
11-20-2007, 10:37 PM
It's not all that bad of news. Get priest the hell out of here and home for thanksgiving

Deberg_1990
11-20-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm convinced that Priest's effort was legitimate. What I don't understand is that, if his neck couldn't take any more punishment than he received, why he was on the field at all. He needs a new doctor.

FAX

Yea, what a pointless waste of time for Priest and the Chiefs to be honest..

Donger
Wow. I wish him the best.

Boy, that Bennett trade is looking crappier every day.

Hootie
11-20-2007, 10:39 PM
=(

Long live the Priest!

At least he got one last hoorah!

Hopefully he is just being cautious and isn't seriously hurt again.

Mecca
11-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Stevie is to the point where he doesn't like any of us now...

BigRedChief
11-20-2007, 10:42 PM
If he tries to come back again we need to kidnap his azz and talk some sense into him.

TEX
11-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Boy, that Bennett trade is looking crappier every day.

I really didn't understand it to begin with even with Priest coming back. Oh well - just like most everything else this year that didn't work out.

Mr. Arrowhead
11-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks Priest for all the good memories!
as to the chiefs, if we want want to go young, we might as well go all out, let see what ya got Kolby Smith

Frankie
11-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Happy trails Priest. I wish you could have completed your come back. I enjoyed your efforts on the field in the last couple of games. You looked like a running back who actually gave a sh!t about the team, unlike our injured hotshot. Your leaving is perhaps the biggest blow to Croyle's development. Hope Smith will pass block half as good as you.

Eleazar
11-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Sad if it's true, but don't feel sorry for the guy. He spent his whole football career proving doubters wrong, and worked to become one of the best of his time, all the way up until his body just couldn't do it anymore. That's all you can ask of a football player.

The venerable Priest Holmes. They should put him on the ring of fame next year.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-20-2007, 10:49 PM
ROFL

4-12 here we come!

Simply Red
11-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Love ya bud. Peace to my brothas 'rocked up n locked up.' No in all seriousness; you'll be missed bud! ;)

kcxiv
11-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Was good to see 31 out there again, but if he reinjured. Its time to give it up Priest.

Simply Red
11-20-2007, 10:51 PM
ROFL

4-12 here we come!
nah, seven-nine.

the Talking Can
11-20-2007, 10:53 PM
bizarre

we'll never see or hear from Priest again, no one will...

TEX
11-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Priest doesn't belong on this team with this crappy offense anyway.
Man he was fun to watch! I'm glad he can walk away with his health.

TEX
11-20-2007, 10:55 PM
bizarre

we'll never see or hear from Priest again, no one will...

He'll be seen at Spurs games. He loves BB and the Spurs. I saw him at a couple last year.

Zouk
11-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Raiders running back Lamont Jordan asked the team to release him this week, and he just might get his wish.

Jordan told team officials Monday he wanted out after being benched the past two games, a source familiar with the situation said on the condition of anonymity.

If the Raiders decide to release Jordan, they won't have to look far for a replacement. They must activate rookie running back Michael Bush by 1 p.m. today or place him on the season-ending injured reserve list.

Coach Lane Kiffin said the team hasn't decided what to do with Bush, but if it wants to add him to the 53-man roster, a current player must go - and Jordan has already raised his hand for that.

The Chiefs could be without Larry Johnson the rest of the season. Jordan played for Herm Edwards with the Jets and remains close to the Chiefs' coach.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/11/20/SPOBTGA1K.DTL

CoMoChief
11-20-2007, 10:56 PM

Hmmmmmm
Priest made a lot of money. No way would anyone in their own right mind would risk their life after football if they didn't think they could really make an attempt to come back.

This wasn't a PR event by any means.

siberian khatru
11-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Raiders running back Lamont Jordan asked the team to release him this week, and he just might get his wish.

Jordan told team officials Monday he wanted out after being benched the past two games, a source familiar with the situation said on the condition of anonymity.

If the Raiders decide to release Jordan, they won't have to look far for a replacement. They must activate rookie running back Michael Bush by 1 p.m. today or place him on the season-ending injured reserve list.

Coach Lane Kiffin said the team hasn't decided what to do with Bush, but if it wants to add him to the 53-man roster, a current player must go - and Jordan has already raised his hand for that.

The Chiefs could be without Larry Johnson the rest of the season. Jordan played for Herm Edwards with the Jets and remains close to the Chiefs' coach.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/11/20/SPOBTGA1K.DTL

I'd love to have him -- if his back can hold up.

Donger
11-20-2007, 11:00 PM
I said that he was done after that contact on Sunday. His body language was undeniable. I hope that he has the sense (left) to hang it up.

Besides, it's up to the defense now, anyway.

RJ
11-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Priest Holmes is right at the top of my list of Chiefs players who have given me Happy Sundays. I rank him with Otis, and I can give no higher praise than that.

Thanks for the memories, Priest, I sure enjoyed watching you play.

Zouk
11-20-2007, 11:04 PM
I'd love to have him -- if his back can hold up.

Beggars can't be choosy. Although I have a feeling LaMont is going into Marcus Allen prison for the rest of the year because Al Davis will keep him in street clothes to keep him from going to the Chiefs. Can't say I would do different if I were in his shoes.

siberian khatru
11-20-2007, 11:10 PM
Beggars can't be choosy. Although I have a feeling LaMont is going into Marcus Allen prison for the rest of the year because Al Davis will keep him in street clothes to keep him from going to the Chiefs. Can't say I would do different if I were in his shoes.

Yeah, that actually is different from Marcus and makes sense -- last month of the season, knowing your division rival is desperate for RB help ...

Megbert
11-20-2007, 11:26 PM
http://www.nachoscantina.com.au/Images%20Big%20Nachos/37.TheBigNachosTeam.jpg

Here's to you Priest

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-20-2007, 11:33 PM
What the f*ck??

Seriously...:(

Ultra Peanut
11-20-2007, 11:47 PM
I'd come to terms with him being gone a long time ago, but then he comes back and it's like he never missed a day. Then this.

Ugly Duck
11-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Tough break, Chieftains. Always hate to see a career end due to injury. Even if its the career of a player that has been a nemesis.

Coach Kiffin is a bit leary of Lamont Jordan's recurring back pain, so he might be out as well.

Its a tough game.

grandllama
11-21-2007, 12:38 AM
Priest made a lot of money. No way would anyone in their own right mind would risk their life after football if they didn't think they could really make an attempt to come back.

This wasn't a PR event by any means.

As much noise as I made about it being all about the money, Priest showed a love for the game by coming back. He proved me wrong.

As I've always said, I appreciate everything he has done in the Red & Gold, and the last two games especially. He may not have been the leader I wished he would have been, but he did bust his ass for this team in uniform.

Priest, enjoy your retirement. I hope to be at the game when your name is raised into the Ring of Fame.

sportsman1
11-21-2007, 12:44 AM
I love Priest. He has to be my favorite Chief along with Tony G and DT. Will he get in the Hall of Fame though? We know how those bastards are.. does he have a prayer? If there was any player that would get me to make the voyage to Canton for the Hall of Fame inductions it would be him. I just wonder if he played long enough for them to justify his career as "HOF".

teedubya
11-21-2007, 12:47 AM
priest is a hero. He came back, probably felt "the tingles" again, and said **** it.

I am sorry he didnt get a touchdown. he realized the team sucks ass. Smart decision.

Deberg_1990
11-21-2007, 01:40 AM
I love Priest. He has to be my favorite Chief along with Tony G and DT. Will he get in the Hall of Fame though? We know how those bastards are.. does he have a prayer? If there was any player that would get me to make the voyage to Canton for the Hall of Fame inductions it would be him. I just wonder if he played long enough for them to justify his career as "HOF".

No, he doesnt have a prayer. If Terrel Davis cant get in, then Priest has zero shot. IMO he just didnt have enough great seasons.

Valiant
11-21-2007, 01:43 AM
he looked pretty good but oh well he got his final paycheck thanks again

He deserved it, and the main reason.. Was it was his 10th year played and now can get medical from the NFL after his career for free..

Valiant
11-21-2007, 01:48 AM
Do we get compensation if a player retires midseason?? IE a 4th round pick next year..

Please say yes...

Hootie
11-21-2007, 01:50 AM
Do we get compensation if a player retires midseason?? IE a 4th round pick next year..

Please say yes...
Are you retarded?

boogblaster
11-21-2007, 01:53 AM
Tough luck for the Preist ... One of the best ever to suit on Sundays ....

BigRock
11-21-2007, 01:54 AM

Please say yes...
You don't even get a draft pick if a player dies.

Valiant
11-21-2007, 01:54 AM
Are you retarded?

Are you a fat lazy worthless piece of shit?

Hootie
11-21-2007, 01:55 AM
Are you a fat lazy worthless piece of shit?
No, but at least I don't ask DUMB questions.

Hootie
11-21-2007, 01:55 AM
Thank GOD, Denver would own the draft next year ROFL ROFL

Valiant
11-21-2007, 01:56 AM

I knew if a player retired during the offseason there was no compensation, didn't know the rules on during the season.. I was hoping there was a way..

I am greedy and want picks for next year..

Going to miss Priest though, amazing years for us..

Valiant
11-21-2007, 01:58 AM
No, but at least I don't ask DUMB questions.

You just are a dumb****, I did not know the actually answer and asked the question hoping I would get a yes..

You are a dumb**** that supported a worthless Huard all year until the truth of his shittyness was forced upon you..

Hootie
11-21-2007, 01:58 AM
You just are a dumb****, I did not know the actually answer and asked the question hoping I would get a yes..

You are a dumb**** that supported a worthless Huard all year until the truth of his shittyness was forced upon you..
He was SO shitty that when Croyle finally replaced him our offense was even MORE conservative!!!

blueballs
11-21-2007, 02:03 AM
:hail: Superman

ChiefaRoo
11-21-2007, 02:52 AM
Something odd is going on here. The timing of this reeks. I don't care if he retires or not but there is more here than meets the proverbial eye.

Micjones
11-21-2007, 03:48 AM
Unbelievable.

I wish the guy well.
No sense in messing around with your health.
Get out now and enjoy the rest of your life Priest.
Thanks for the memories.

hawkchief
11-21-2007, 03:49 AM
Something odd is going on here. The timing of this reeks. I don't care if he retires or not but there is more here than meets the proverbial eye.

There's almost always more than meets the eye when it comes to Carl and the Chiefs PR.

Also, the take-home from Trent and Priest this year is, if you are dinged up above the neck, and over 30, stay down, hang it up and take your millions and retire.

Hanging around looking for more glory and/or more dough is not a good idea. Both of these guys will be fortunate if they haven't caused themselves long-term physical issues - for what, a couple of fricking extra games???

Ultra Peanut
11-21-2007, 05:13 AM
Thank GOD, Denver would own the draft next year ROFL ROFLHAHAHAHAHA THAT GUY GOT SHOT

mikey23545
11-21-2007, 06:13 AM
Unbelievable...The 2007 season delivers one last suckerpunch, then slithers off into the night...

Good luck, Priest....

Consistent1
11-21-2007, 07:29 AM
If Priest hadn't tried to pull a "Roger Clemens", then maybe this wouldn't have happened. I never have understood how Clemens would come back late every damn year. RC knew when the season started and should have been there then. You have to prepare for pro sports, period. Holmes made his chances to survive much worse by showing up in crappy shape. I know there will be guys that bitch and say that isn't true, but I believe it. Then the LJ deal suddenly puts him on the spot. If Priest really wanted to take his chances again, he should have been in spot-on shape before training camp even began. They held his ass out a long time, but even an older guy like Strahan comes back and plays pretty well almost immediately. Why is that? Good luck to him, shouldn't have chanced it really.

HemiEd
11-21-2007, 07:32 AM
No. It was legit.

Bad stuff happens to good people.

I agree, the look on his face after that tackle said a lot. It is a sad day.

MichaelH
11-21-2007, 07:42 AM
A few weeks back I said I wonder how optimistic he'll be after playing behind that offensive line and the play calling. I do believe he was trying to make a comeback but there had to be some kind of stunt involved. I'm not a professional athlete and I have the sense to know not to get behind that offensive line if I had already had a career threatening injury.

Frankie
11-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Raiders running back Lamont Jordan asked the team to release him this week, and he just might get his wish.......

Will the real LJ please stand up?!

Chief Faithful
11-21-2007, 10:29 AM

Just the opposite this means the Chiefs will have to open up the offense and score points like an arena league team.

Simply Red
11-21-2007, 11:43 AM
We're so screwed. `DRAFT *clap*, *clap*, *clap* PICK!`

Katie
11-21-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't remember Gilbert Harris??? Did he play in pre-season and if so, how did he look?

ClevelandBronco
11-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Deep respect from a rival fan. Mr. Holmes was the real deal.

StcChief
11-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Priest valiant effort to get back in football shape for 2007..... can't carry the load. hang 'em up will you can still walk.

Chief Henry
11-21-2007, 12:12 PM
THanks for the memories Priest. You had a great run here in KC. We loved your efforts. I just wish DV would have had a Defense for you and Trent.

Your name will be up on the KC Ring of fame.

CupidStunt
11-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Nacho, nacho man - I want to be, a nacho mannnnn.

NACHO, NACHO MANNNNNN - OH YEAH.

Hydrae
11-21-2007, 12:21 PM
This may get me blasted but I don't think he was really hurt much if at all in this last game. The whole game he looked tenative and was doing a lot of dancing while approaching the line. I think he has figured out how important his o-line was to his earlier stint and how bad this one is then got his bell rung slightly and freaked out.

The worst piece of this is that he came back to help the team (his own words). As a result we traded Bennet to have room for Priest and now we are in a world of hurt at RB. I love what Priest has done for us and I have a lot of respect for the man. I just think he underestimated his ability, mentally, to absorb the punishment of the NFL.

thehead
11-21-2007, 12:28 PM
This may get me blasted but I don't think he was really hurt much if at all in this last game. The whole game he looked tenative and was doing a lot of dancing while approaching the line. I think he has figured out how important his o-line was to his earlier stint and how bad this one is then got his bell rung slightly and freaked out.

The worst piece of this is that he came back to help the team (his own words). As a result we traded Bennet to have room for Priest and now we are in a world of hurt at RB. I love what Priest has done for us and I have a lot of respect for the man. I just think he underestimated his ability, mentally, to absorb the punishment of the NFL.

I agree , but I think it was more seeing how Herms Dumbass runs the offense ,I would not get beat to hell over this loser ass head coach either

penguinz
11-21-2007, 12:31 PM
off topic.... Why the hell do people think it is necessary to quote the post right before theirs?

Donger
11-21-2007, 12:34 PM
off topic.... Why the hell do people think it is necessary to quote the post right before theirs?

So that everyone knows WTF they are responding to?

Hydrae
11-21-2007, 12:34 PM

Because you never know when there might be another reply that gets in before yours. This way everyone knows what you are referring to rather than assuming they are smart enough to figure it out on their own.

thehead
11-21-2007, 12:36 PM
9 times outta 10 my slow ass will not respond fast enough ,the point I try to make becomes irrelevant , :harumph:

thehead
11-21-2007, 12:37 PM
see ROFL

Mr. Laz
11-21-2007, 12:46 PM
was just on t.v. ............ he did

penguinz
11-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Ok. That is fair. Now the next question. Why do some dumbasses quote the entire 45 paragraph post when they are responding to one sentence in it?

Mr. Laz
11-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Ok. That is fair. Now the next question. Why do some dumbasses quote the entire 45 paragraph post when they are responding to one sentence in it?
i think you answered your own question. :)

FAX
11-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Priest Holmes is a man among men. It was an honor to have watched him in the red and gold. One of the greatest pure runners to ever play the game. I don't know if I've ever seen a guy with better vision, patience, and toughness.

I don't think his comeback was a stunt or ploy or money grab and mega fie things on anyone who says differently. Carl said that the door is open for Priest to become the RB Coach for the Kansas City Chiefs and I hope like hell he takes the job.

FAX

Ugly Duck
11-21-2007, 01:52 PM
We're so screwed. `DRAFT *clap*, *clap*, *clap* PICK!`

You're at like #10 right now. Lose to the Raiders & you move way up.... you'll be just one game behind the Oakland pick. Dang... you're getting too close to picking ahead of us.....

38yrsfan
11-21-2007, 02:13 PM
One of the very best undrafted running backs of all time.

A real life example that football scouts could also work as weather men. :)

Chief Henry
11-21-2007, 02:35 PM
Priest does not need to break his balls for this worthless Herman Edwards team. Herm is starting to loose the players and Priest being the team leader is the first one he lost. Will Gonzo be diving for any more passes this season ? Will jared Allen be going full bore this Sunday vs the Raiders ? Sorry for a rant about Herm.

P.Holmes is a great Chief.

penguinz
11-21-2007, 02:38 PM
i think you answered your own question. :)Is dumbasses the answer?

Huffman83
11-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Will jared Allen be going full bore this Sunday vs the Raiders ?

Yes...because while he may not be a Chief next year....he'll want to get paid high $$ somewhere else.

penguinz
11-21-2007, 02:42 PM
He will be a chief next year.