PDA

View Full Version : Herm Reveals Rushing Strategy vs Raiders

KCJohnny
11-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Who will spell Kolby on rushing downs?

According to the Hermanator (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/11/21/qa_with_herm_edwards__1121/), its Gilbert (who?) Harris...

Q: What can this kid do? How many carries for him?

EDWARDS: “We’ll find out. I don’t know if it’s 20 right away. Gilbert Harris is going to have to carry the ball some too. We’ll mix it up with both of them. You have to be able to run the football. There’s no doubt about it. You can’t play one-handed. It’ll kind of be interesting.”

Q: Give me something interesting about Gilbert Harris? I don’t know anything about him?

EDWARDS: “He’s a tweener, big and strong. Little bit of a tailback/fullback type. Good hands, big strong running back. I liked him when he came out of Arizona. He was out for a year and then we brought him in. He’s another kind who’s paid his dues, during training camp, been a practice squad guy. I walked up to him today and he looked at me and said, ‘I’m not scared.’ Kolby followed him and I said, ‘Ok, it’s you two guys’ turn. Let’s go.’

“That’s how we’ve done things here. I’ve said publicly that this is a transition year for us. We knew that. There are a lot of young players all of a sudden playing. You think about the draft choices and free agents who are playing for us right now. There are a lot of them playing and a lot of them are starting for us. It’s good for this football team.
“I don’t think any veteran player is going to worry about Kolby Smith or Gilbert Harris going in the game.”

Q: Last week it was Brodie and devising a game plan, now you have to do it with Kolby to help him one week later. How do you devise a game plan for him?

EDWARDS: “For a runner you want to give him some runs he feels comfortable running. The one thing about the runner is you can’t keep him out of harm’s way because he carries the ball. The first thing I’m always going to tell him is go have fun. You don’t have to be Priest Holmes; you don’t have to be Larry Johnson. You’re Kolby Smith. That’s good enough. That’s why we drafted you. We think you’re a good football player.”

Harris (6-2, 235) attended training camp with the Chiefs in 2007 and was on the practice squad for the first 10 weeks of the season. He saw action in 33 games (13 starts) at both tailback and fullback for Arizona, totaling 172 carries for 633 yards (3.7 avg.) with eight TDs. He also caught 48 passes for 350 yards (7.3 avg.) and two TDs. Harris prepped at Churchill High School in San Antonio, Texas.

TEX
11-21-2007, 09:58 PM
I’ve said publicly that this is a transition year for us. We knew that.

Now, when everything else failed, this is gonna be your excuse. :loser:

KCJohnny
11-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Smith + Harris smells like Frank Moreau + Donnell Bennett without Bennett's ability.

I wish them well. No, I hope this is some kind of lightning-in-a-bottle miracle and these guys are the next Csonka + Kiick.

But I think we are looking at a bad rushing attack about to do it's offense-version of the 2002 Chiefs _efense.

Delano
11-21-2007, 10:04 PM
[And that's why you started Huard through week 10 of the season? :BS: You're so full of $HIT Herm.

Now, when everything else failed, this is gonna be your excuse. :loser:

WTF did you think this is? What do you want? The team is making it's transition. It's week 10, Brodie has nearly half the season of starting and he's taken over 40% of the snaps in practice. I think Croyle needs a transition from bench to starter, just like the team is transitioning in many areas.

Delano
11-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Smith + Harris smells like Frank Moreau + Donnell Bennett without Bennett's ability.

I wish them well. No, I hope this is some kind of lightning-in-a-bottle miracle and these guys are the next Csonka + Kiick.

But I think we are looking at a bad rushing attack about to do it's offense-version of the 2002 Chiefs _efense.

What can you really expect with the top three backs out for the season, retiring or traded?

I hope Harris brings some strong blocking ability and sure hands to help Brodie out.

Mr. Plow
11-21-2007, 10:07 PM
I would have been just fine with the season if Herm had said "This is a transition year. I'm going to start Brodie."

That's all it would have taken. **** you Herm.

KCJohnny
11-21-2007, 10:50 PM
What can you really expect with the top three backs out for the season, retiring or traded?

I hope Harris brings some strong blocking ability and sure hands to help Brodie out.
I never said I expected more. In fact, I was willing to play rope-a-dope by allowing KW to be featured in a pass first attack that capitalized on his size and power.

I hope Kolby Smith runs for 150 yards against the Raiders but I think the stat line will look more like this:

Smith: 14 carries for 32 yds, long 5, 0 TD 0 Fum 3 rec for 13 yds

Harris: 6 carries for 11 yards, long 3, 0 TD 1 Fum 0 1 rec for -2 yds

There ain't no way on earth Herm lets Croyle attempt 40 passes so somebody's going to have to tote the rock.

Pablo
11-21-2007, 10:54 PM
I would have been just fine with the season if Herm had said "This is a transition year. I'm going to start Brodie."

That's all it would have taken. **** you Herm.I'm sure CP would have allowed that. Herm has been consistently pushing to get younger all around, I don't think he's the major hold-up. CP goes, and I think Herm leaves the next coach and GM with a very nice set-up as far as young, experienced talented guys go.

Hammock Parties
11-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Oakland's rush defense is still absolutely horrible. It's not like our running game was stellar to begin with. I think Kolby can average 3.5 YPC Sunday. Maybe more if Niswanger opens holes Welbourn wasn't.

Pablo
11-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Oakland's rush defense is still absolutely horrible. It's not like our running game was stellar to begin with. I think Kolby can average 3.5 YPC Sunday. Maybe more if Niswanger opens holes Welbourn wasn't.Is Kolby a good pass-blocker? Because I don't expect him to do anything amazing on the ground, I just want a security blanket in the backfield for Croyle, and maybe someone he can dump screens off to if our talented OC would ever do so.

Hammock Parties
11-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Is Kolby a good pass-blocker? Because I don't expect him to do anything amazing on the ground, I just want a security blanket in the backfield for Croyle, and maybe someone he can dump screens off to if our talented OC would ever do so.

Kolby looked pretty good pass blocking the last two weeks. He picked up one blitz very well against Denver.

He also has good hands. The only thing that concerns me with him is his vision and fumbles.

KCJohnny
11-21-2007, 11:09 PM
Oakland's rush defense is still absolutely horrible. It's not like our running game was stellar to begin with. I think Kolby can average 3.5 YPC Sunday. Maybe more if Niswanger opens holes Welbourn wasn't.

I see I'm not the only blind, deceived homer around here :p .

If LJ averaged 3.5 and Priest 3.0, Smith will be lucky to make 2.0. His season stat line is 10 carries for 19 yards. Throw in Harris, and we actually start going backwards.

doomy3
11-21-2007, 11:32 PM
How many threads are you going to start saying basically the same thing? We get it. For some reason you want Kris Wilson to get carries. Not sure how you think Kris Wilson is going to save our season, but whatever. And I can only stand to hear you use the phrase "tote the rock" in different threads so many times in one day.

Hammock Parties
11-21-2007, 11:33 PM

If LJ averaged 3.5 and Priest 3.0, Smith will be lucky to make 2.0. His season stat line is 10 carries for 19 yards. Throw in Harris, and we actually start going backwards.

Meh. I'm not so sure Priest was all that. The dude had no power and couldn't get outside Sunday.

KCJohnny
11-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Meh. I'm not so sure Priest was all that. The dude had no power and couldn't get outside Sunday.

You'll find out on Sunday just how good Priest was, even rusty, even at 34 when Smith & Harris fail to rush for 50 yds on 20+ carries. Priest faced the NFL's #3 defense last Sunday.

Somebody has to tote the rock!
ROFL

Easy 6
11-21-2007, 11:38 PM

If his neck had been as good as ever, i think he could have still been QUITE good.

His legs were likely jelly from his first real action in 2 years against dinveer & NOBODY could have gotten outside on indy with our line vs. their speed.

Doesnt matter now anyway... :(

doomy3
11-21-2007, 11:42 PM
Seriously though, you couldn't just have posted all your repeat posts in here?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1

It's the other thread you started where you repeat yourself about Kris Wilson toting the rock that is still on the front page.

KCJohnny
11-21-2007, 11:50 PM
Seriously though, you couldn't just have posted all your repeat posts in here?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1

It's the other thread you started where you repeat yourself about Kris Wilson toting the rock that is still on the front page.

Look, bro... I don't post about kittens, sex, food, movies, politics, etc... I post football topics that usually generate 30-50 replies. 99% of my posts are about Kansas City Chiefs football. The commodity in play here is OPINION. The reason people participate in this forum is OPINION. I freely admit mine is kooky at times (to others) but I have also been validated on many of my views. The point is, its all social. If you don't dig what I am saying, then don't post on that topic, put me on iggy, send me negative rep, complain to the mods, but please don't expect me to know everything that is being discussed on every thread, especially when the proliferation of NFTs makes Chiefs Planet the Oprah of the internet sometimes.

Go Chiefs!
KCJ
Blind, deceived homer
:arrow:

chiefbowe82
11-22-2007, 12:11 AM
just curious why did we hire an offensive line coach as an offensive coordinator

Pablo
11-22-2007, 12:12 AM
just curious why did we hire an offensive line coach as an offensive coordinatorBecause Carl Peterson is our GM and Herm knows dick about offense.

doomy3
11-22-2007, 12:15 AM
just curious why did we hire an offensive line coach as an offensive coordinator

Because if we wouldn't have, someone else would have. He would have been effective there probably if they had a line and then the question would read,

"Why didn't we hire Solari as our offensive coordinator?"

Raiderz_00
11-22-2007, 12:18 AM
My team has given up... Enjoy your second bye week and another division loss for the Raiders. We are going to make your third string RB look like Walter Peyton... smh

Extra Point
11-22-2007, 12:21 AM
When in doubt, air it out. Unfortunately, Herm has no doubt.

KCJohnny
11-22-2007, 12:23 AM
My team has given up... Enjoy your second bye week and another division loss for the Raiders. We are going to make your third string RB look like Walter Peyton... smh

Are you kidding us????

The Raiders are NOT eliminated at 2-8; what does that tell you about the AFC Worst?
We have lost at home against a 3-5 team that has twice been embarrassed 41-3 and 44-7!
Now we have no pretense of a rushing attack and if the Raidas can score just 13 measly points, they stay in the hunt for the AFCW crown!!!

:banghead:

Raiderz_00
11-22-2007, 12:27 AM
Are you kidding us????

The Raiders are NOT eliminated at 2-8; what does that tell you about the AFC Worst?
We have lost at home against a 3-5 team that has twice been embarrassed 41-3 and 44-7!
Now we have no pretense of a rushing attack and if the Raidas can score just 13 measly points, they stay in the hunt for the AFCW crown!!!

:banghead:

Man, I have about 100 local articles I can send to you if you would like bro.... Fighting in the locker room, Coach and AL already fighting.... I could go on and on. I will not lose hope but, our players (not all but most) have mailed in the season.... smh

Look at our remaining games, KC, Den, SD, Colts, GB and JAX..... I am usually a very postive person but, this team will not rise from our crap pile untilwe hire a real GM or AL steps down as much as that hurts me to say.

bdeg
11-22-2007, 12:28 AM
He was making people miss left and right.

He played better than LJ had been playing(this year), without a doubt IMO.

greg63
11-22-2007, 12:35 AM
EDWARDS: “We’ll find out. I don’t know if it’s 20 right away. Gilbert Harris is going to have to carry the ball some too. We’ll mix it up with both of them. You have to be able to run the football. There’s no doubt about it. You can’t play one-handed. It’ll kind of be interesting.”

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KCJohnny
11-22-2007, 12:50 AM
He was making people miss left and right.

He played better than LJ had been playing(this year), without a doubt IMO.

We'll find out that Priest was overachieving to get 60 YPG with this offense. Smith and Harris will probably gain about 50 yds between the on 20 carries this Sunday....

Those who doubt Priest are just knuckle heads... he's proved his mettle.

Micjones
11-22-2007, 01:48 AM
I'm surprised the FO didn't look to bring anyone else in.

Sunday could be a long, long day for the Chiefs trying to run the football.

ChiefsCountry
11-22-2007, 01:59 AM
Harris looked good in the preseason.

King_Chief_Fan
11-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Look, bro... I don't post about kittens, sex, food, movies, politics, etc... I post football topics that usually generate 30-50 replies. 99% of my posts are about Kansas City Chiefs football. The commodity in play here is OPINION. The reason people participate in this forum is OPINION. I freely admit mine is kooky at times (to others) but I have also been validated on many of my views. The point is, its all social. If you don't dig what I am saying, then don't post on that topic, put me on iggy, send me negative rep, complain to the mods, but please don't expect me to know everything that is being discussed on every thread, especially when the proliferation of NFTs makes Chiefs Planet the Oprah of the internet sometimes.

Go Chiefs!
KCJ
Blind, deceived homer

rep

Warrior5
11-22-2007, 10:57 AM

Go Chiefs!
KCJ
Blind, deceived homer

Target, cease fire. Well stated, KCJ.

KCJohnny
11-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Target, cease fire. Well stated, KCJ.

Thank you, sir.

Happy Thanksgiving, one and all.

Ugly Duck
11-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Now we have no pretense of a rushing attack

Don't worry... your rushing attack will look good against Oakland. We have more rushes of 20+ yards against us than any team in the league. Your no-name nobodys will rip off some big gainers and Planeteers will be posting "Larry who?" in the game thread.

KCJohnny
11-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Don't worry... your rushing attack will look good against Oakland. We have more rushes of 20+ yards against us than any team in the league. Your no-name nobodys will rip off some big gainers and Planeteers will be posting "Larry who? in the game thread.
I'd doubt it. We had a game this year where we gained only 10 yards rushing with Larry Johnson at TB.

But we'll get the chance to find out because there is no scenario out there where Herm let's Brodie Croyle attempt more than 25-30 passes. That would be arena league football. Personally, I think Oakland will stuff our inexperienced RBs and early and often.

Ugly Duck
11-22-2007, 01:02 PM
I think Oakland will stuff our inexperienced RBs and early and often.

Thats the way it goes for most of the teams that play us. Then they start busting through & ripping off huge gainers. Your guys will look real good against Oakland..... but later on they'll have to start playing against real NFL teams and Planeteers will crash back down to earth....

KCJohnny
11-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Thats the way it goes for most of the teams that play us. Then they start busting through & ripping off huge gainers. Your guys will look real good against Oakland..... but later on they'll have to start playing against real NFL teams and Planeteers will crash back down to earth....
We were not able to run the rock at all against the donkeys, and at the time we played them at Arrowhead they were 3-5 and ranked dead last in rushing defense. I hope you are right but KC's rushing attack this year has been characterized by 3 stats:
Most 3-and-outs in the NFL Most rushing attempts for no gain or a loss in the NFL #31 in rushing in the leagueThen on top of all that, RBs 1, 2 and 3 have been injured, traded and retired, in that order.

I am not looking for a big day Sunday. But I hope I am wrong and you are right, UD...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Valiant
11-22-2007, 02:32 PM

I expect 9 in the box still, only problem is it will to be to try and tee of on the QB...

KCJohnny
11-22-2007, 03:10 PM
I expect 9 in the box still, only problem is it will to be to try and tee of on the QB...

No one respects Herm's play-not-to-lose offense. Why not put all 11 men at the LOS?

Valiant
11-22-2007, 03:13 PM
No one respects Herm's play-not-to-lose offense. Why not put all 11 men at the LOS?

Sad thing is I think a team could do that and still beat the Chiefs with the way our playcalling is..

KCJohnny
11-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Sad thing is I think a team could do that and still beat the Chiefs with the way our playcalling is..

Our rushing attack is a charade. We only run the ball so we can play action off it. There is no serious investment in actually gaining yardage.

StcChief
11-22-2007, 05:51 PM

That's all it would have taken. **** you Herm.

I think King Carl weighed in on that decision... Hard Knocks Huard helps us win now at beginning of the year....

unfortunately Winning is important, I still would have had Croyle by GB game.

CrazyHorse
11-22-2007, 07:59 PM

I was at the Minne game at the beginning of the season, and there were 10 men on the line on 80% of the plays.