PDA

View Full Version : Oysters, love 'em or hate 'em?

RJ
11-21-2007, 10:12 PM
I love oysters. I love 'em raw, fried, baked, grilled or, on Thanksgiving, in stuffing. It is hard to find good quality oysters in New Mexico, I can usually only get the Pacific oysters in the jar. They aren't so good. But around the holidays I can find Chesapeake or Long Island oysters. When I do I am in heaven. I bought two pints of Chesapeakes, one pint for the stuffing, the other for eating. In a bowl with their own liquor, some lemon juice and salt. Proof that God exists.

I know the board is heavily midwestern but I'm wondering if any share my enjoyment of this particular bivalve. And if so, how do you like to eat yours?

Brock
11-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Oyster stew is fantastic.

JBucc
11-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Other than shrimp I pretty much hate all sea creatures.

88TG88
11-21-2007, 10:32 PM
They aiight

Pablo
11-21-2007, 10:33 PM
The other night at a Cajun restaraunt here in town I ate some smoked oysters and jumbo shrimp wrapped in jalapeno bacon. Pretty amazing.

Other than that, they're enjoyable, but far from my favorite seafood.

Deberg_1990
11-21-2007, 10:42 PM
I love oysters. I love 'em raw, fried, baked, grilled or, on Thanksgiving, in stuffing.

Rocky Mountain as well??

RJ
11-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Rocky Mountain as well??

I've never had the opportunity but would certainly try them. I understand they're fried, I imagine them to be like fried oysters or chicken livers. Am I close?

sedated
11-21-2007, 10:50 PM
if I wanted to slurp something slimy, I'd dip my face into some bull sperm

RJ
11-21-2007, 10:56 PM
if I wanted to slurp something slimy, I'd dip my face into some bull sperm

Just a matter of preference, I suppose. Me, I'll stick with the oysters.

ClevelandBronco
11-21-2007, 11:07 PM
I've never had the opportunity but would certainly try them. I understand they're fried, I imagine them to be like fried oysters or chicken livers. Am I close?

Mild chicken liver taste. Mountain oysters are must better IMO.

I'll also eat the sea varieties in any way I can get 'em.

Menudo's about the only thing I won't eat.

Thig Lyfe
11-21-2007, 11:10 PM
I make love to them. Does that count?

RJ
11-21-2007, 11:25 PM
Mild chicken liver taste. Mountain oysters are must better IMO.

I'll also eat the sea varieties in any way I can get 'em.

Menudo's about the only thing I won't eat.

I like the menudo broth, can take or leave the tripe.

Many here in NM swear by it as a hangover cure.

My Italian stepfather likes boiled tripe with lemon, salt and tabasco. Sorta like oysters, I suppose.

dtebbe
11-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Since we are close to the florida panhandle, and having lived in Panama CIty for a year or so, I love em. I happen to think apalachicola oysters are the best there is. I like the small ones, raw, with just a touch of cocktail sauce on a saltine.

There's a little dive in Panama City called Rustler's Reef that smokes them over fruitwood, those are jammin' too.

I have a rule with raw oysters though, if I can't smell salt air where I'm eating them, I don't eat them.

Here's a few good recipies:
http://www.leavinsseafood.com/recipes.html

DT

Phobia
11-21-2007, 11:53 PM
I love them.... raw. I'm not a big fan of cooked oysters. I'll abstain since there's no option for me.